• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The case for adding men to Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, and other similar gaming content.

No, I won't die. I think adding men into a game about Sexy women isn't a good idea. Put out a separate game with men. It will be interesting to see what sells more. I'm not quite sure how my original comment of me wanting 2 separate games became me dying from seeing men in bathing suits. I'd imagine if someone finds men attractive, they would rather have a game without the women.

Exactly there should be different fanservice products for different groups of people.

Japan understands it well since they have dozens types of manga aimed at every possible customer.

Otherwise you end with boring Hollywood mainstream blockbusters that are designed with checklist to make sure everyone is served.

mao2

But that's the thing, if they don't give players like me much of an opportunity to support content that we'd like to see, how are we supposed to demonstrate sales potential? We have to go at it via other means, such as this topic. And it has to be a concerted, sustain effort on the developers end, not just some random happenings. I do think they are noticing the potential though, as I've mentioned, but we've got a long way to go.

No one is doubting that the ladies of DoA are the main draw for the series, and will remain so going forward, but Team NINJA can certainly do a much better job for the men.
Well, there's still a fair amount of DLCs released for the male characters which you can support... Yes, Team Ninja certainly can do a much better job, but their resources aren't limitless, therefore it's understandable that they prioritize female characters which bring them more money.

Anyway I decided to compile a list of number of ratings for the Valentine's Day Set on Japan PS Store. It should give a rough idea on how well these costumes are selling. Not sure how they're doing in other countries though.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/%E6%A4%9C%E7%B4%A2/f=^%E3%82%B9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%82%BB%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%81%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0

Honoka - 68
Marie Rose - 66
Kasumi - 47
Ayane - 40
Phase 4 - 38
Kokoro - 37
Leifang - 36
Hitomi - 33
Helena - 30
Nyotengu - 30
Momiji - 29
Tina - 26
Mila - 25
Pai - 25
Rachel - 25
Christie - 23
Sarah - 23
Alpha-152 - 22
Lisa - 22
Bayman - 21
Akira - 20
Leon - 20
Brad Wong - 18
Jacky - 18
Rig - 18
Bass - 17
Ein - 17
Eliot - 17
Gen Fu - 17
Hayabusa - 17
Jann Lee - 17
Raidou - 17
Zack - 17
Hayate - 16

I know this wasn't in response to my post but I'll just point out again that otome games, while they are certainly gaining in popularity, or not really the same as this. And while BL games aren't nearly as common as it seems you are suggesting, particularly ones that are of any quality. Most BL games are not something that's found in mainstream shops, they're almost all doujin titles, or ones created by very small development studios.

As far as anything that shows off male characters in the same fashion that this game does for female characters, particularly among mainstream offerings, there's almost nothing. Also, it's not just women that are being under served, but gay men too, as well as people of all persuasions that enjoy seeing this type of content.
Yeah, I get your point. I was just saying that not all games need to be equal in terms of fanservice and that games specifically tailored for women exist.

Well, there's still a fair amount of DLCs released for the male characters which you can support... Yes, Team Ninja certainly can do a much better job, but their resources aren't limitless, therefore it's understandable that they prioritize female characters which bring them more money.

Anyway I decided to compile a list of number of ratings for the Valentine's Day Set on Japan PS Store. It should give a rough idea on how well these costumes are selling. Not sure how they're doing in other countries though.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/%E6%A4%9C%E7%B4%A2/f=^%E3%82%B9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%82%BB%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%81%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0

Honoka - 68
Marie Rose - 66
Kasumi - 47
Ayane - 40
Phase 4 - 38
Kokoro - 37
Leifang - 36
Hitomi - 33
Helena - 30
Nyotengu - 30
Momiji - 29
Tina - 26
Mila - 25
Pai - 25
Rachel - 25
Christie - 23
Sarah - 23
Alpha-152 - 22
Lisa - 22
Bayman - 21
Akira - 20
Leon - 20
Brad Wong - 18
Jacky - 18
Rig - 18
Bass - 17
Ein - 17
Eliot - 17
Gen Fu - 17
Hayabusa - 17
Jann Lee - 17
Raidou - 17
Zack - 17
Hayate - 16
I wouldn't put too much stock in customer ratings as I know they've sold a lot more than a few dozen a piece, especially for the most popular girls, but since it's the only indicator we can use at the moment, it doesn't hurt to look at it either. Basically what I'm seeing is that while the men are obviously at the back end of the list, they're not far behind the some of the less popular ladies. So while it's clear the ladies are the main draw, something I don't think anyone would dispute, the men are certainly not being completely decimated overall either. And considering that the game has been out for over three years by now, most of these sales would most likely be from longtime/devoted fans of the series, which shows IMO that there is a desire for male focused DLC content from dedicated fans alongside the female content. (On a purely personal note, it makes me happy to see that Bayman is the top rated male in Japan, with Leon right behind.)

I've compiled the ratings from the Canadian store... (I'm not sure if the ratings from the US PSN store are added to the same total.)

• Marie Rose - 41
  • Honoka - 39
  • Ayane - 33
  • Kasumi - 31
  • Nyotengu - 31
  • Christie - 28
  • Leifang - 27
  • Pai - 27
  • Phase 4 - 27
  • Tina - 27
  • Helena - 26
  • Rachel - 26
  • Hitomi - 25
  • Kokoro - 25
  • Momoji - 24
  • Mila - 22
  • Rig - 22
  • Sarah - 22
  • Lisa - 21
  • Alpha-152 - 19
  • Brad - 19
  • Bayman - 18
  • Jacky - 18
  • Ryu - 18
  • Hayate - 17
  • Akira - 16
  • Ein - 16
  • Eliot - 16
  • Leon - 16
  • Bass - 15
  • Jann Lee - 15
  • Raidou - 14
  • Zack - 14
  • Gen Fu - 13
Rig is actually tied with a few of the women and higher than two others. Bayman, Brad, Jacky and Ryu are also right on the tail of the less popular female characters. So again, even with such a limited amount of data, we can see that the guys aren't trailing behind the ladies by that large a margin.

I wouldn't use this as any sort of definite indicator of course, but it is interesting.

Yeah, I get your point. I was just saying that not all games need to be equal in terms of fanservice and that games specifically tailored for women exist.
I agree with that, and I wouldn't expect them to be. I stated that in the OP. I think in this case though it's not a stretch to think a few of the men could participate as well. The men of DoA do have fans, and I think they could be a viable addition to the DoAX series.

Golnei

And considering that the game has been out for over three years by now, most of these sales would most likely be from longtime/devoted fans of the series, which shows IMO that there is a desire for male focused DLC content from dedicated fans alongside the female content. (On a purely personal note, it makes me happy to see that Bayman is the top rated male in Japan, with Leon right behind.)

Additionally, there's two ways you could read the results in light of the overwhelming disparity in actual DLC costumes available - either this shows that there's still reasonable demand for content for the male characters from the current playerbase even after being neglected for years; or the performance of the Valentine's outfits are being artificially increased by the dearth of similar costumes, and a more substantial effort actually might not see all that much more of a response.

mao2

I wouldn't put too much stock in customer ratings as I know they've sold a lot more than a few dozen a piece, especially for the most popular girls, but since it's the only indicator we can use at the moment, it doesn't hurt to look at it either. Basically what I'm seeing is that while the men are obviously at the back end of the list, they're not far behind the some of the less popular ladies. So while it's obvious the ladies are the main draw, something I don't think anyone would despute, the men are certainly not being completely decimated overall either. And considering that the game has been out for over three years by now, most of these sales would most likely be from longtime/devoted fans of the series, which shows IMO that there is a desire for male focused DLC content from dedicated fans alongside the female content. (On a purely personal note, it makes me happy to see that Bayman is the top rated male in Japan, with Leon right behind.)

I've compiled the ratings from the Canadian store... (I'm not sure if the ratings from the US PSN store are added to the same total.)

• Marie Rose - 41
  • Honoka - 39
  • Ayane - 33
  • Kasumi - 31
  • Nyotengu - 31
  • Christie - 28
  • Leifang - 27
  • Pai - 27
  • Phase 4 - 27
  • Tina - 27
  • Helena - 26
  • Rachel - 26
  • Hitomi - 25
  • Kokoro - 25
  • Momoji - 24
  • Mila - 22
  • Rig - 22
  • Sarah - 22
  • Lisa - 21
  • Alpha-152 - 19
  • Brad - 19
  • Bayman - 18
  • Jacky - 18
  • Ryu - 18
  • Hayate - 17
  • Akira - 16
  • Ein - 16
  • Eliot - 16
  • Leon - 16
  • Bass - 15
  • Jann Lee - 15
  • Raidou - 14
  • Zack - 14
  • Gen Fu - 13
Rig is actually tied with a few of the women and higher than two others. Bayman, Brad, Jacky and Ryu are also right on the tail of the less popular female characters. So again, even with such a limited amount of data, we can see that the guys aren't trailing behind the ladies by that large a margin.

I wouldn't use this as any sort of definite indicator of course, but it is interesting.

I agree with that, and I wouldn't expect them to be. I stated that in the OP. I think in this case though it's not a stretch to think a few of the men could participate as well. The men of DoA do have fans, and I think they could be a viable addition to the DoAX series.
Thanks for the Canadian ratings! I find it funny that the top 4 characters are the same LOL. Male characters seem to fare better here so maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. Let's hope you're right about Team Ninja changing attitude and delivering more manservice in the future, not just in DOA but other games as well.

Additionally, there's two ways you could read the results in light of the overwhelming disparity in actual DLC costumes available - either this shows that there's still reasonable demand for content for the male characters from the current playerbase even after being neglected for years; or the performance of the Valentine's outfits are being artificially increased by the dearth of similar costumes, and a more substantial effort actually might not see all that much more of a response.
Very true. It's hard to really make any definite statements with such meager statistics but it could be an indicator of either of those. I'll choose to lean towards the former.

Thanks for the Canadian ratings! I find it funny that the top 4 characters are the same LOL. Male characters seem to fare better here so maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. Let's hope you're right about Team Ninja changing attitude and delivering more manservice in the future, not just in DOA but other games as well.
No problem, and thanks, I hope so too.

Thank you gathering the Japanese numbers as well, it's much appreciated.

Piers

They could, but it'd be at the alienation of their target audience. It's a game for guys who are too afraid to approach women in Japan.
Edit: That's not say this can't exist as its own stand-alone product, that said.

Sure, throw the dudes in, the more the merrier

EF4Xqm6.gif

Stupid Sexy Ryu™

well then, I hadn't seen this one yet

Top Bottom