• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cave |OT| Choose your own Adventurers

CzarTim

Well the best adventure game puzzles are the ones you facepalm after. Turns out I
didn't realize you were supposed to pull the boat out of the water. doh

Finished the game and really enjoyed it. Great job Ron & crew. Can't wait to jump into my next three tomorrow.

Massive bugs in the time traveler area/puzzle. Playing on Wii U with three local players.

First of all, non-camera-focused players can still use their powers when they're in other time periods. You go to where they would be standing if they were there, they press their special ability button and you see all the effects. They can also sort of jump/jiggle/move objects they are near or grabbing.

But the worst is horrible bugs with the primary puzzle. Early on I figured out that
we needed to go to the past, hold the boulder away from the crack, go to present, hold the well crank, go to future and hopefully get the bucket.
We followed through on those steps though and had trouble the whole way.

First, if you don't hold the boulder close enough to the crack, it is still sitting there being held by a skeleton in the present, and despite having a well in the present there will never be a busted well in the future. It's possible that this is intentional, that the skeleton eventually gave way and the boulder destroyed the well? Just seemed really counterintuitive. If you hold the boulder close to the well's location in the present, it will simply be gone in the present and you will get a broken well in the future.

Second, no matter how much I held the crank in the present, the bucket would never show up in the future. I had no idea what we were doing wrong. I went on Miiverse, I went to GameFAQs, I came here. No help. After an hour of messing around and more time looking for help, my friend noticed the bucket appearing for a split-second when we went to the future, but then it would disappear. Next time he grabbed it as quickly as possible, and held it briefly, but it disappeared from his hands. He went elsewhere, we changed time periods again and changed back, and suddenly it was in his hands again. We solved it as quickly as possible and left the area super pissed!

So that's the worst.

Massive bugs in the time traveler area/puzzle.

Yeah playing on the PC I found that I had to
Pull on the boulder(not push) in the past and then switch it to the present, future for it to work
I knew I had to do something there but couldn't get it to work, sadly I too had to google it. That's the only time I had to do in in my playthrough.

AEREC

Just tried the demo on 360 and enjoyed the atmosphere and everything but the framerate hitches drove me nuts. May end up getting it on PC...does that version have any issues?

Xellos

Been playing through this on Wii U and I'm really enjoying it. The art is great and the writing/voice acting has been consistently funny thus far. I've gone through the knight and hillbilly areas and I'm now starting on the time traveler. Thanks to UncleSporky and IblisGinjo for the heads up about the bugs.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just beat it, kinda dreading having to do some of the puzzles again, I'll probably put in just one more playthrough at least, but I'm satisfied with it. I mean, having to beat this game 4 more times to watch all the endings is kind of too much.

Really felt guilty for what I was doing all game long and the endings I got for the characters were pretty rewarding. I liked the puzzles, a couple had a few technical annoyances about them
(like in the Time Traveler's section, having to be actually holding the rock instead of being able to just block it)
, but for the most part they were fun and were solved logically, within the confines of the adventure genre, 'course.

So...
+ Dark storyline, Psychonauts-esque stories in pictures, humor is a bit hit or miss, but it's definitively a positive
+ It's gorgeous
+ There's a good chunk of fun (if a bit easy) puzzles
- Backtracking... this game desperately needs a "rally on me" button
- Replayability and adventure games just doesn't seem like not such a good mesh, though the puzzle skipping is a decent workaround having to play the same puzzles over and over again
- Not enough music... I'd normally say it's perfect as a design choices to make a game quiet but for a few moments I had to check my volume because it was dead silent... also, the music's great when it's there, why not more?
- A bit glitchy, though it was completely excusable for me

Violet_0

Banned
Massive bugs in the time traveler area/puzzle. Playing on Wii U with three local players.

the boulder thing was annoying and I had to go to this thread to solve it, but if I remember correctly I didn't really do anything with the well, the bucket just appeared on the pedestal in the future

Just tried the demo on 360 and enjoyed the atmosphere and everything but the framerate hitches drove me nuts. May end up getting it on PC...does that version have any issues?

haven't really noticed any serious framerate issues. Mouse and keyboard controls don't work very well together, but then again you only need the mouse to pick up objects that are too close to each other

wouwie

I'm stuck at the 4th monk challenge. It's one of those cases where i just don't see it, i guess. I had a few ideas which i thought made sense though :). Anyone who could give me a subtle hint (maybe not the solution but a hint)?

Loving the game by the way.

Cronen

My first play through was with The Adventurer, The Time Traveller and the Hillbilly. Really enjoyed the game. Especially The Adventurer's and Time Traveller's levels. Good fun.

Currently on my second run with The Twins, The Scientist and The Monk. Just about to start The Scientist's level now. Once you know the puzzle/level areas that are available to all 3 characters, you're able to proceed through them quite quickly, but some of the back tracking is a little tedious.

I have to ask, is the demo representative of the overall gameplay, because I have to say this might just be the worst demo I played in years.

I was amazed by the narration and style but the demo really sullied my impression of this game.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm stuck at the 4th monk challenge. It's one of those cases where i just don't see it, i guess. I had a few ideas which i thought made sense though :). Anyone who could give me a subtle hint (maybe not the solution but a hint)?

Loving the game by the way.

hint:
remember what the sign says, and look at the background on the way up

this one was really annoying, I knew what had to be done but you have to execute it flawlessly

kurahador

- Not enough music... I'd normally say it's perfect as a design choices to make a game quiet but for a few moments I had to check my volume because it was dead silent... also, the music's great when it's there, why not more?

Yeah...this!

The music are great but it was rarely played.
I thought it was a glitch or something.

I have to ask, is the demo representative of the overall gameplay, because I have to say this might just be the worst demo I played in years.

I was amazed by the narration and style but the demo really sullied my impression of this game.

I haven't played the demo but I don't know why it wouldn't be indicative of the game, unless it doesn't get deep enough into a puzzle. But the game plays the same from the beginning to the end. Puzzle-solving graphic adventure with direct control but zero emphasis on platforming.

There is at least one really nice touch in "New Game+" so far. God this art is still incredible.

Actually came in here to post this if it's the same thing I'm thinking about.
The trinkets your new party collects to get into The Cave are the characters' treasures from the previous playthrough, next to their skeletons.
Dark.

Finished up my first playthough of this game (Adventurer, Scientist, Time Traveler), I enjoyed it and it was certainly charming but I can't help but feel it doesn't live up to it's full potential which is a shame.
Already started a second playthough though as I loved the character specific areas and want to see them all, even though it's annoying to have to trudge through the same areas again. Actually that is probably my biggest complaint: for a game that set out to make the movement of adventure games more fun and enjoyable I found it the opposite. Especially in single player where I would have to drag my characters back and forth individually to solve a fairly straightforward puzzle I had already figured out. I don't think the idea of giving adventure games more active controls is a bad one but the way it was implemented here just made it feel like a chore that artificially lengthened the game.
The trinkets your new party collects to get into The Cave are the characters' treasures from the previous playthrough, next to their skeletons.
Dark.

This didn't happen to me on my second playthrough, but that may have been because
I returned all the trinkets at the end of my first run to see each characters redemption.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I will make my purpose of life (for the next few days if even) to post this in here every few pages:

Double Fine, just make a new, non-episodic, old school gameplay, modern graphics adventure game already!

pixlexic

Banned

That seems to a problem across all platforms. Even happens some on the PC version I don't know how bad compared to the others though I only have play the demos on consoles and own the PC version.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dark.

Yep, that's what I was referring to. It's a fantastic touch.

thefil

I've been playing this with my girlfriend. Probably the most perfect co-op experience for us, bar none. I hope the developers are watching this thread and see the good vibes up in here.

We generally like to play adventure games, and this just tips us over to 'both playing at once' in a way that makes it more fun. I also like the restraint on dialogue. When it does come up, it is always entertaining, and it doesn't drag on so that you lose interactivity.

While the transitional animations (or lack thereof) make the controls feel janky, the character animations themselves are incredibly expressive. I could watch the Gift Shop Clerk talk all day.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
the mine still takes about 10 minutes though due to the ridicules backtracking involved, and the last puzzle room is about 5-10 minutes long as well

15 minutes total isn't that bad. Space the playthroughs out once you have finished the unique content. There is no rush to 100%.

Lima

I read that you can skip the zoo if you carry a second hotdog all the way through, so that is one less non-specific character puzzle to worry about on repeated playthroughs.

wouwie

hint:
remember what the sign says, and look at the background on the way up

this one was really annoying, I knew what had to be done but you have to execute it flawlessly

Thanks. I didn't crack the puzzle though and had to cheat. I don't think i would have found it without help.

I just finished the game with the Knight, Adventurer and Monk and i liked it a lot. So glad i decided to try out the demo after the (average) reviews.

+ an adventure game without inventory (no "try everything on everything" gameplay)
+ great fresh visuals and animation
+ great music and sound effects
+ fun relaxed gameplay
+ great atmosphere

- technical problems (framerate was rather bad on PS3, bugs, crashes)
- could have done with a bit more music (especially since the music was awesome)
- could have done with a bit more dialogue
- a tad too much walking around/ladder/ropes
- could have done with a bit more puzzles

All in all, i'd give it a good solid 8.5/10. I'm definately going through it again with 3 different characters. I have a feeling that Double Fine is on to something with this type of adventure games. I'd love to see another one in the future!

I've been playing this with my girlfriend. Probably the most perfect co-op experience for us, bar none. I hope the developers are watching this thread and see the good vibes up in here.

We generally like to play adventure games, and this just tips us over to 'both playing at once' in a way that makes it more fun. I also like the restraint on dialogue. When it does come up, it is always entertaining, and it doesn't drag on so that you lose interactivity.

Yeah it got 2 thumbs up with the gf

Just finished my first playthrough on the PC.

I didn't notice most of the bugs people are talking about, so I feel lucky.

I didn't know what to expect with the game since it didn't get much marketing hype, but I genuinely loved it. This is going to be one of my games of the year.

Same here. Perfect adventure game co-op experience for us.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think they would have to roll a brand new engine to do that. Every single DF game has the 30fps limit.
I think they said their programmers were working on it. Can't be bothered to find the quote but I'm pretty positive.

I doubt they'll need a brand new engine for that, just a lot of testing.

Played for an hour with my GF on the Wii U, and being the casual gamer she is, she was naturally intimidated by the controls at first before getting accustomed to the scheme after 15 minutes. Once she got used to the layout, it took some time for her to understand the flow of the game (understanding the controls + what to do with them), so I'd say 30 minutes total before we navigated the game naturally. The multiplayer aspect of the game is what sold me, and I don't think I would have bothered to purchase The Cave right away without it, as I'm trying my darnest to break my GF into gaming.

Outside of that, I'm loving this adventure game. Thus far, it avoids the conventional traps of other adventure games, namely the frustrating trial and error gameplay that is prevalent in games like Zack & Wiki, for example, where success hinges on players foreseeing the reaction of an impeding obstacle in response to attempts to solve them. How was I supposed to know that by lighting X on fire, it would cause Dog Y to run away and knock down Vase Z over to where the basement key was hidden? That's BROKEN trial and error gameplay.

My GF and I will play some more tonight. We weren't very sober during our first playthrough, and adventure games demand a measure of patience and cognitive ability that aren't available in large quantity in such conditions, so I'll post a better review later.

majik13

was wondering this. my wife isnt really a gamer, but I was wondering if this may be a good game for the both of us?
I have a ps3, 360 and wiiu. I am leaning towards wiiu(mainly I have a bunch more controllers for coop) any other pros cons between them all?
How much is it?

Dark.

Yeah, I really liked that touch.
Especially since when you get their redemption endings, you see them exit the Cave, but if you take the trinket with you, they never show up outside, implying they're stuck/lost in the Cave forever.

I've officially beaten the game with every character now. Individual puzzle rooms, I'd have to say....

Time Traveler > Hillbilly > Monk > Scientist > Twins > Adventurer > Knight

Overall, this is a really fun game. I honestly wish there were more characters and more puzzle rooms. Things I'd change up are very minor details, like making the rope & ladder climbing more fluid and less terrible.

Very interested in seeing what they could do with a sequel. Really liked the minimized inventory management, while it made a lot of the puzzles easier to solve, it's unique and a great way to get people interested in the genre.

Violet_0

Banned
things they need to improve on if they're ever going to work on a sequel:

9 characters
increase puzzle difficulty
better (jump) controls, faster climbing speed
a command for gathering all characters at one spot
give us different non-character-specific puzzle rooms depending on which characters you bring along, make meaningful use of their special abilities
let us skip already completed puzzle rooms on subsequent playthroughs
more dialogues (one of the reasons why I enjoyed the Knight room so much)
more music
no one likes the Mine, try to avoid making puzzle rooms where it takes unnecessarily long to get from one end to the other and which involve lots of backtracking

I think I'd prefer fewer characters with more developed scenarios.

that's actually an even better idea. 6 characters, 3 variations of the generic puzzle rooms (works in Seiken Densetsu 3). This way they can be custom-tailored specifically to the characters special abilities

oh, and something I forgot - let the characters talk!

eznark

Banned
one time through and I loved it. Maybe it's because I have been playing through the Runaway series lately but I found the issues that I'm reading to be minor at worst. Sure there is a bit of backtracking but nothing terrible. I don't think there were any sections that I really hated. The puzzles were a bit easy, only one I was slowed down on was the last island puzzle.

All in all, rad game. I really, really hope they make another one. I played through with the Hillbilly, Scientist and Monk. Gonna run through it again tomorrow probably. I imagine it goes a lot faster on the second run. Knowing what to carry where will be a big help!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really enjoying this. There's a definite Monkey Island vibe going on.

Top Bottom