• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Caves of Steel-adaptation: Which actors would you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0421_CavesSteel_L.jpg

It's not like Asimov books haven't been successfully adapted before, so there's still a chance of us getting an Elijah and Daneel trilogy.

My dream line-up:

Dominic West as Elijah Baley
dominic-west-01.jpg

Fassbender as R Daneel Olivaw
GfjYH.jpg

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Commissioner Julius Enderby
philip-seymour-hoffman.jpg

Daniel Craig as Dr Han Fastolfe
daniel-craig5482.jpg

Who would you pick?

Oh, and for comparison, the line-up from the 1984 BBC2 adaptation:

Peter Cushing as Elijah Baley
John Carson as R Daneel Olivaw
Kenneth J Warren as Commissioner Julius Enderby
John Wentworth as Dr Han Fastolfe
Ellen McIntosh as Jessie Baley
Ian Trigger as R Sammy
Stanley Walsh as Simpson
John Boyd-Brent as Francis Cloussar
Naomi Chance as Dr Gerrigel
Hennie Scott as Bentley Baley
Richard Beale as Controller
Richard Beint as Shop Manager
Patsy Smart as Customer

gdt

Ironically, I, Robot was a lot closer to Caves of Steel than its namesake.

Can you clarify? I know I, Robot took some elements from Caves, but thats all I got.

----

I also forgot to add, in my last post, that that will never happen.

I think it's worth a shot, if only for the chance of Fassbender playing Daneel.

I suppose a strong cast and writer could change my mind but I feel the book has so many old intricacies that they would change too many aspects of it and ruin any semblance to the original in adapting to modern equivalents.

gdt

I suppose a strong cast and writer could change my mind but I feel the book has so many old intricacies that they would change too many aspects of it and ruin any semblance to the original in adapting to modern equivalents.

I dunno, Caves (all the Robot novels actually) are oddly modern. Bailey is funny, has a good buddy relationship with Daneel, he's flawed as all hell, ditches his family every other second, has a lot of heart to it, etc etc.

Aside from putting some action sequences in it, I'm not sure that they have to change the tone or storyline all that much.

I dunno, Caves (all the Robot novels actually) are oddly modern. Bailey is funny, has a good buddy relationship with Daneel, he's flawed as all hell, ditches his family every other second, has a lot of heart to it, etc etc.

Aside from putting some action sequences in it, I'm not sure that they have to change the tone or storyline all that much.

I guess I'm thinking more of quirks in mannerisms and technology that now would seem outright bad decisions.(Fuzzy or glitchy tech,running the strips and so on)
Plus the slight slave master overtones to some of the treatment of robots could be removed or risk being seen as agendas of the writer being pushed.

gdt

I guess I'm thinking more of quirks in mannerisms and technology that now would seem outright bad decisions.(Fuzzy or glitchy tech,running the strips and so on)
Plus the slight slave master overtones to some of the treatment of robots could be removed or risk being seen as agendas of the writer being pushed.

What could be the agenda? Slaves are bad?

lol

I think the general public is certainly used to/comfortable with the robots=slaves trope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom