• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CELL Hype Begins: Supercomputer on a Chip

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/jan06/2609

Cell's nine processors make it a supercomputer on a chip

We're flying at about Mach 1.5 around Mount Saint Helens, in Washington state. IBM Corp. senior programmer Barry L. Minor is at the controls, rocketing us over the crater and then down to the lake at its base to skim over the tree trunks that have been floating there since the volcano exploded over 25 years ago. The flight is exhilarating, even though it's just a simulation projected on a widescreen monitor in a cluttered testing lab.

Then, at the flick of a switch, Minor turns the simulation over from his new Cell processor to a dual-processor Apple Power Mac G5, and the scenery freezes. The G5 almost audibly groans under the burden, though it's no slouch. In fact, it's currently the top of the line for PCs. But Cell is something different entirely. It's a bet on what consumers will do with data and how best to suit microprocessors to the task—and it's really, really fast. Cell, which is shorthand for Cell Broadband Engine Architecture, is a US $400 million joint effort of IBM, Sony, and Toshiba. It was originally conceived as the microprocessor to power Sony's third-generation game console, PlayStation 3, to be released this spring, but it is expected to find a home in lots of other broadband-connected consumer items and in servers too.

If it doesn't deliver will anyone call them on it? If anyone does, will the rabid horde listen? By the hair of Solid Snake's silver tash, I doubt it. So why not. Jack me in Sony!

Draft

Of course it won't deliver. I've never understood why people thought Sony of all companies was going to come along and revolutionize CPUs. They're fricken SONY. Company makes a decent tv set or two and now they're going to what, show AMD who's boss?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Draft said:
Company makes a decent tv set or two and now they're going to what, show AMD who's boss?

They're in different markets, completely.

Anyway, this article does seem very..May 2005-ish :)

GeoramA

Draft said:
Of course it won't deliver. I've never understood why people thought Sony of all companies was going to come along and revolutionize CPUs. They're fricken SONY. Company makes a decent tv set or two and now they're going to what, show AMD who's boss?

How about reading the article? IBM and Toshiba have as much stock in Cell as Sony does.

Draft

Wouldn't really expect IBM to knock one out of the park either. Their CPUs deliver, but they're not skating the bleeding edge or anything like that.

EmSeta

Minor turns the simulation over from his new Cell processor to a dual-processor Apple Power Mac G5, and the scenery freezes. The G5 almost audibly groans under the burden, though it's no slouch. In fact, it's currently the top of the line for PCs.

Hmm..?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Syb said:
Dont they have like Double Dual Apple Power Mac G5's now?

The Double Dual Apple Power Mac G5s are performing so slow in graphics because they have that NVIDIA 7800 card that doesn't have unified shaders... oh wait.

Deg

Banned
Its a CPU comparision.

Is there any pc more powerful than G5? I am not aware of quad processors for Pc :p

GhaleonEB

It's my understanding that in the current definition of supercomputer, the CELL would not even come close to ranking. Doesn't the CELL top out at well below a teraflop? Here's an article on the 2005 top 500 rankings.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=173602325

IBM’s BlueGene/L system installed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) ranked as the fastest supercomputer in the world at 280.6 TFlop/s, twice the performance the system demonstrated in earlier rankings. It is the first system to surpass the 100 TFlop/s mark and is expected to remain at the top of the rankings for some time.

The least powerful system on the list was measured at 1.64 TFlop/s. That’s up from 850.6 GFlop/s for the lowest ranking system one year ago.

acidviper said:
$400 million venture?

WTF I thought Sony spent billions on this betting the farm on the PS3/Blu-Ray and the Cell

It has been known that Cell's R&D budget was $400 million since before 9-11 happened - Cell was announced in March 2001 with that budget.

http://www-03.ibm.com/chips/news/2001/0312_sony-toshiba.html

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., IBM and Toshiba join to develop 'supercomputer-on-a-chip'
Three companies to establish a joint development center in Austin, Texas, USA

Toyko, March 12, 2001

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), IBM Corporation (IBM) and Toshiba Corporation (Toshiba) announced today plans to research and develop an advanced chip architecture for a new wave of devices in the emerging broadband era.
Combining SCEI's vision and strong leadership in the computer entertainment world, IBM's unparalleled computer and semiconductor technologies and Toshiba's extensive capabilities in system LSI (large-scale integration), especially for consumer applications, the companies will collectively invest more than $400 million in the next five years to design a "supercomputer-on-a-chip."

the PlayStation3 is more than just Cell - overall, Sony has spent billions on the entire PS3 effort: Cell development, GPU development (dont forgot the GPU(s) Sony worked on before turning to Nvidia for help) Blu-Ray, Software / Tools / APIs / Chip-Manufacturing / Games Etc

choplifter said:
It has been known that Cell's R&D budget was $400 million since before 9-11 happened - Cell was announced in March 2001 with that budget.

http://www-03.ibm.com/chips/news/2001/0312_sony-toshiba.html

the PlayStation3 is more than just Cell - overall, Sony has spent billions on the entire PS3 effort: Cell development, GPU development (dont forgot the GPU(s) Sony worked on before turning to Nvidia for help) Blu-Ray, Software / Tools / APIs / Chip-Manufacturing / Games Etc

Billions is a hell of alot of money. The ONLY way to spend billions is when you actually buy the hardware and sell it below cost. Otherwise, you don't even get fucking close at all.

But thanks for the speculation.

Hehe you can get cheap (around $3000) 4 CPU (2x2 core) Opteron blades. For (a lot) more money you can go up to 32-64 etc processors for PC stuff even...so not a really big deal unless I misunderstand something.
I don't really understand the Cell money hype, $400m is not that much for research, and even though IBM and Toshiba are in it too, I don't think this is nearly as much as Intel's spending. It's not Sony who realized that the way ahead was massive parallelism, the whole pc thing has been heading that way for quite a while now: current pc/videocard setups are actually assymetric multiprocessing (not even talking about separate I/O processors); pipelining is actually parallelizing procedures - even current cpus can run more instructions than their clockrates in a lot of cases. Thing is, this requires a completely different approach to software design, and in general purpose computing you had to make every step of the way ahead work better than the previous one, so you had to have incremental development of compilers, higher level cpu functions (OOO execution for example allows for better usage of hardware resources), even "smart" emulation (like what Transmeta tried and failed at.) Maybe such a huge jump could work if all the architecture, from execution resources to high level software development was designed in one step, I'm not sure, but this seems to be what the Cell was aimed at. Right now, it doesn't look general purpose though, it looks more like it isn't ready for that yet, but for well-understood stuff like simulation and graphics, where you understand the nature of the software very well and there's no need for completely new architectures (the graphic pipeline architecture for polygon-based modelling/rendering is pretty sophisticated now), it could work pretty well. I'm not sure the Cell is that great for general-purpose stuff, but I think it will be ace for games :)

Just to give some sort of perspective: AMD's investment in just their Dresden fabs will exceed $4.7b by 2007, intel investment for Fab28 will be around $4b, fab12 retool cost $2b - in fact, intel has announced a $4b investment in various fabs around just the US in only 3 months at the end of this year.

conker

Banned
"G5 almost audibly groans under the burden, though it's no slouch. In fact, it's currently the top of the line for PCs."

As a programmer, I feel I must clear something up:

G5 is by NO MEANS "top of the line" and a MAC is by NO MEANS a PC.

For a PC, AMD is king, and has been for a while.
Intel may get ahead next year though, but they have a tendancy to screw up their launches.
In the server market, there's tons of options. 8-way Opteron systems are beefy beasts, as are a bunch of stuff from SUN or IBM. The Xeons are aging, but still compete.

The CELL will certainly be the most power chip most people will have ever seen.
But it is NOT by any means anything new or amazing.

Hype train, money hats, and consumer ignorance ftw.

conker said:
"G5 almost audibly groans under the burden, though it's no slouch. In fact, it's currently the top of the line for PCs."

As a programmer, I feel I must clear something up:

G5 is by NO MEANS "top of the line" and a MAC is by NO MEANS a PC.

For a PC, AMD is king, and has been for a while.
Intel may get ahead next year though, but they have a tendancy to screw up their launches.
In the server market, there's tons of options. 8-way Opteron systems are beefy beasts, as are a bunch of stuff from SUN or IBM. The Xeons are aging, but still compete.

The CELL will certainly be the most power chip most people will have ever seen.

Mac is not a PC only if PC means a Microsoft OS, but otherwise it definitely is a "personal computer." It's not "IBM PC compatible" (well...it is if you really want it to be) but it is a PC. Also, G5 is "top of the line" the PPC lineup :-D...and you're forgetting the Pentium-M which is actually leading a couple of SPEC benchmarks.
"Most power on a chip" is not something that can be defined very easily either, for a couple of algorithms it seems to be very good, but definitely not general purpose enough for this claim to be so undeniable.

Oblivion said:
Didn't it have 7? Unless that was something else. Was it?
I guess they mean the single PPE (powerpc processing element) and 8 SPEs (Synergistic Processing Elements - vector units basically.)

aaaaa0 said:

That's 32 processors, 4 processors in a blade, scalable to 8 blades. 2 core on each Xeon MP - so the chips have only 2 cores. The Cell is a supercomputer on a chip because the specialized SPE's can do specific tasks at very high speeds, so in a few cases (a lot of which occur in gaming) it can perform really well - and there's 8 of these specialized cores on a single chip.

Striek

HokieJoe said:
Sony invests in East Fishkill fab...

Hehe, more like $120 million in just the East Fishkill fab. $1.1 billion overall in semiconductors.
Wow I don't think an article could make more currency conversion mistakes in one go.
They've have spent $200B yen all up on fabs, thats just Sony's investment. Thats very significant.

Oblivion said:
Didn't it have 7? Unless that was something else. Was it?
8SPEs + 1 PPE. CELL in PS3 will have 7SPEs available.

aaaaa0

Flachmatuch said:
That's 32 processors, 4 processors in a blade, scalable to 8 blades. 2 core on each Xeon MP - so the chips have only 2 cores. The Cell is a supercomputer on a chip because the specialized SPE's can do specific tasks at very high speeds, so in a few cases (a lot of which occur in gaming) it can perform really well - and there's 8 of these specialized cores on a single chip.

No the chassis are bridged via a backplane, as far as the OS is concerned you can configure it to see a single 64-core (32 processor) SMP machine if you want.

aaaaa0 said:
No the chassis are bridged via a backplane, as far as the OS is concerned you can configure it to see a single 64-core (32 processor) SMP machine if you want.

Yep but that has nothing to do with it - the chips are still 2 core Xeon MPs. You can configure old IBM mainframes to see however many "cores" you want, but that's irrelevant wrt the semiconductor part.

aaaaa0

Flachmatuch said:
Yep but that has nothing to do with it - the chips are still 2 core Xeon MPs. You can configure old IBM mainframes to see however many "cores" you want, but that's irrelevant wrt the semiconductor part.

Uh, the OS sees a single machine image, with 64 identical real cores to run tasks on. How is that not the very definition of a multi-processor machine? It's a 64-way multiprocessor, and that's what the OS sees. The CPUs just happen to be in seperate boxes, with big fat busses connecting them.

aaaaa0 said:
Uh, the OS sees a single machine image, with 64 identical real cores to run tasks on. How is that not the very definition of a multi-processor machine? It's a 64-way multiprocessor, and that's what the OS sees.

The claim was that the cell is a supercomputer on a chip. If you consider 8 3U blades a "chip", you're pretty strong :D

Edit: actually they're 4 processor machines, so it's just 4 blades, my mistake.

aaaaa0

Flachmatuch said:
The claim was that the cell is a supercomputer on a chip. If you consider 8 3U blades a "chip", you're pretty strong :D

Well then the 8-way AMD that someone just posted above doesn't count either, since it's 4 dual-core AMD64s.

The question was:

Is there any pc more powerful than G5? I am not aware of quad processors for Pc :p

And yes, there are most definitely more powerful PCs than a G5. By a lot.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
conker said:

Nothing is amazing if you compare it to some crazy expensive end of the line solutions or the top of the line supercomputers. Cell chip however will be sold in a device that's going to be very cheap, even compared to PCs, and is generally aimed towards mass market products. That's why it makes sense comparing it to dual G5, as they are featured in a consumer computer you can buy in any store, and is close to the top of the line in that market. For the rendering demo they showcased, Cell does hugely better job than those dual G5s, IBM had a comparision chart that displayed that, but the demo was of course suited to Cells architecture.

aaaaa0 said:
Well then the 8-way AMD that someone just posted above doesn't count either, since it's 4 dual-core AMD64s.

The question was:

And yes, there are most definitely more powerful PCs than a G5. By a lot.

Ah, sorry, didn't realize there was such a question in the thread. In this case, you're right...look at spec.org then, maybe this page :D

Top Bottom