• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships |OT| Wimbledon, 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensuke

Not sure. He definitely seems like his energy level is pretty low. Seems like Bolelli is playing decently too.

Going to a 5th there.

He just said in the post-match interview that he was only sore, but that it should be okay. According to him it didn't even hamper his movement. Hard to believe after seeing him play though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
He just said in the post-match interview that he was only sore, but that it should be okay. According to him it didn't even hamper his movement. Hard to believe after seeing him play though.

Ah alright. Yeah he definitely didn't seem right. Hope he can shake it off.

Curious to see how Dimitrov does today and this week. He's been trash all year, and he's defending semi points here. Could be rough if he goes out really early.

Enjoyable first day so far with Hewitt's goodbye being its defining moment. I remember being a huge fan of his back in 2002 - loved his aggressive attitude and relentless play. Shame his body never held up.

Hantuchova was awesome in coming from a break down to blast Cibulkova away 7-5, 6-0 - looking forward to her match with Serena in R3, who took a good few games to find her rhythm against the spirited qualifier Gasparyan. Bencic was pretty fortunate that Pironkova pulled up with a thigh injury after edging the first set. The level of tennis between them towards the end of the third set was still exceptional, and Bencic did well to hold her nerve and close out.

Liam Broady coming from two sets down to beat Matosevic will be the big British story of the first day. It was a great win, but Matosevic was about as bad a front runner as you'll ever see. No wonder he's nicknamed "Mad Dog".

szaromir

Banned
Zverev beat Gabashvili 9-7 in the fifth. I don;t think there were cameras on that court, but pretty impressive to win such a long match given his age.

IISANDERII

Enjoyable first day so far with Hewitt's goodbye being its defining moment. I remember being a huge fan of his back in 2002 - loved his aggressive attitude and relentless play. Shame his body never held up.

Hantuchova was awesome in coming from a break down to blast Cibulkova away 7-5, 6-0 - looking forward to her match with Serena in R3, who took a good few games to find her rhythm against the spirited qualifier Gasparyan. Bencic was pretty fortunate that Pironkova pulled up with a thigh injury after edging the first set. The level of tennis between them towards the end of the third set was still exceptional, and Bencic did well to hold her nerve and close out.

Liam Broady coming from two sets down to beat Matosevic will be the big British story of the first day. It was a great win, but Matosevic was about as bad a front runner as you'll ever see. No wonder he's nicknamed "Mad Dog".
Thanks for the day1 recap, i tried watching but missed a lot.

Hantuchova has been around so long but she still fights hard and is very talented. Impressive staying power.

mr-paul

Has anyone here on GAF been to Wimbledon and gone for the post 5pm returned tickets? Thinking of going up tomorrow and wondering if anyone had any tips/what time to turn up etc.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when Janowicz was in a wimbledon semi final and one set up against Murray?

Dude is one of those players that needs the right coach and serious attitude change. He could and should have been a future top ten, now he's just wasting his career away. The new Gulbis.

Really sad about Hewitt. I was hoping he'd cling on to R2 to get retired by Djokovic on centre court, as befits a champion, but I guess in a way losing a thrilling five-setter very closely much before he should is the story of Hewitt's career, so I suppose there's a certain symmetry to it.

Was watching Kumiko Nara (Japan) come back against Magda Linette (Poland) on Court 8 via the BBC iPlayer, only for the Pole to pull up injured at 3-3 in the decider, call the trainer and retire in tears after trying a couple of serves serving at 3-4. Really sad end to her Wimbledon. Good win for young Nara though! Through to face
get annihilated by
Kvitova next round.

Muller/Tsonga's been a good match. Lots of excellent serving and volleying from Muller and Tsonga's moved very well across the back of the court. One set all, a tie-break each, and no hint of a break in the third. Shame Muller lost his nerve in the first set breaker or he'd be 2-0.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Centre Court got 2 matches done while Nadal is still in progress despite being a three setter.

This really gets on my wick, especially now umpires are too afraid to give him time penalties after that sunt he pulled with Layani.

Deadman

With the way most Federer matches are short and nadal matches are long I wonder if nadal has a higher total match time than Federer does

sam777

Nice straight sets win for Rafa. Although he needs to cut out the errors with the forehand but his backhand was pretty good.

Ricker

Genie soon,I hope she plays like she did against Riske last week,in Eastbourne,she looked like 2014 Bouchard,otherwise...Raonic looked good yesterday.

The Williams withdraw from doubles because reasons lol

Nice straight sets win for Rafa. Although he needs to cut out the errors with the forehand but his backhand was pretty good.

Looks like a guy playing well enough to beat the lower ranked players but nowhere near good enough to give the likes of Murray a close match. It's been the story of his season so far, and defined his clay court season. I'm hoping he comes into some kind of god mode during this tournament. I'm hoping for him or Murray for the title. I suppose Federer as well would be nice. So would Stan or Tsonga, actually. Basically most people who aren't Novak Djokovic. Sorry Novak fans, I've never really warmed to him. Even despite his lovely, warm and graceful runners-up speech at the French.

Great win from Heather Watson, saving three match points and dealing with Caroline Garcia's massive serve to make it through. She also completed my accumulator which just won me £65 (from £10 stake), so that might have something to do with my excitement.

Great win from Heather Watson, saving three match points and dealing with Caroline Garcia's massive serve to make it through. She also completed my accumulator which just won me £65 (from £10 stake), so that might have something to do with my excitement.

I'd like Gaf to have an official betting thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom