• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is 10 years old.

scitek

Easily one of the best shooters ever made. The atmosphere will always stay with me. That haunting soundtrack with great ambient sound and huge, empty, hollowed out areas that felt completely impossible to break out of just worked so brilliantly.

I dunno if it's aged completely well (I believe once the guards see you out of cover, everyone knows exactly where you are), but man, what an amazing experience.

It's funny you'd consider this "not aging well" since Watch_Dogs is horrible about that. :p

Grief.exe

That may be a tad unfortunate (unless of course it turns out well). I would have much rather preferred a SP campaign.

On current gen consoles and PCs we could now have much better material and skin shaders from whence it all started:

Where it can go now (Close to):

Making it a MMO would mean that the technical presentation will take a hit.

I just don't see how it will be successful or how the mechanics would fit into it.

Producing a mmo is infinitely more expensive than a single player game and isn't a guaranteed invesent like it used to be.

scitek

What's the best way to eliminate aliasing with this? MSAA doesn't work very well, and I can't get downsampling to work. Can you force SSAA through Inspector or anything?

The title is not available on Steam.

You can purchase a version on Gamestop that activates on the service, but I do not recommend actually playing that version. I have voiced these concerns several times already including the OP.

I literally played the Steam version from Gamestop about 6 months ago and other than a few minor hiccups, I had no big issues playing it. 60fps and pretty good graphics dripping with atmosphere made it better than the first time I played the original release on the Xbox. I didn't play through the sequel though.

senahorse

I haven't personally tried gedosato with Riddick as I downsample through drivers, but the DOF effect in the game is very good.

Are you using Nvidia? If so how did you manage to get this working. Like another user here, when I change the resolution it doesn't scale on the screen, other games work fine.

Grief.exe

Bumping with GOG Sale.

Dark Athena PC is 2.99 right now. Go buy it, yes it includes Butcher Bay.

BUY IT NOW

itOTU5xoUPpAA.gif

O.DOGG

Guys, I'm having problems getting Dark Athena's vsync to work on my laptop. I tried the Nvidia Inspector settings, didn't make a difference. Any ideas?

I bought an Xbox 1 for this and Deus Ex: Invisible War. I actually liked Invisible War quite a bit, but Riddick stays with me as being something special. Top 5 favourite FPS ever, easily.

O.DOGG

OK, I just installed the game on my desktop machine, and it runs like complete crap.

Is there a magic setting somewhere that makes the game run smooth? It just runs ridiculously slow on hardware that should make the game sing and dance without breaking a sweat. And I haven't even enabled SSAO/AA/Vsync. Can someone help?

Grief.exe

OK, I just installed the game on my desktop machine, and it runs like complete crap.

Is there a magic setting somewhere that makes the game run smooth? It just runs ridiculously slow on hardware that should make the game sing and dance without breaking a sweat. And I haven't even enabled SSAO/AA/Vsync. Can someone help?

Specs?

I used to own the xbox original and beat it over a few days, had a blast and I love the game, the atmosphere it made and the visuals, all were top quality.

I bought the 360 version a few years back now and never beat any of the campaigns, I was stuck on the two heavy armored tank guys near the heliport and no matter what I did (on hard) I would die before reaching it.

I really should go back and play it again, refresh myself and take some time to learn all the takedowns on normal before playing hard again.

O.DOGG

i5 2500K OC to 4.3Ghz, GeForce 760 GTX, 16Gb ram running Windows 7 64.

Something's really wrong, the game runs at about 5FPS even at the default low resolution and settings. My laptop runs it smooth as butter (with the exception of Vsync which I couldn't find a way to enable) with much lower specs than the desktop machine.

Grief.exe

i5 2500K OC to 4.3Ghz, GeForce 760 GTX, 16Gb ram running Windows 7 64.

Something's really wrong, the game runs at about 5FPS even at the default low resolution and settings. My laptop runs it smooth as butter (with the exception of Vsync which I couldn't find a way to enable) with much lower specs than the desktop machine.

And you have AA off, right?

Shredderi

One of my favourite games of all time. I pretty much play through the dark athena pack one a year. My god I want a proper new Riddick game. These things I'm hearing about a Riddick mmo... I just can't imagine it working as a Riddick game.

velociraptor

Ugh, this game is retarded.

It crashes every time I change the resolution.

It boots up at 800x600. I try changing to 1080p but it crashes.

Now that's two PC games in a row that are giving me a headache.

Mulgrok

Thank you for making this thread and reminding me about a game I always meant to try, but never did. Plus, it gave me an excuse to give GoG monies!

velociraptor

Finally got this game to work. Only one question - how do I enable anti-aliasing? I tried forcing AA via RadeonPro but it crashes the game every time I start.

edit: This has to be the worst port ever to embrace the PC.

It crashes at all times unless you enable XP SP3 compatibility. Doing that means I cannot apply any AA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Finally got this game to work. Only one question - how do I enable anti-aliasing? I tried forcing AA via RadeonPro but it crashes the game every time I start.

There's an AA setting in the in-game options menu. The game supports MSAA and CSAA.

eot

Banned
I found out this was (finally) available DRM free on GoG and I've been playing it for some hours. It's every bit as good as I'd heard. I love the pacing, the setting, the atmosphere, the voice acting and the combat. Well, most of the combat. Fighting that mech was no fun and I've had to retry some of the melee fights more times than I would've liked to. Still, this game (so far anyway) embarrasses modern shooters and I don't even have nostalgia for it. I guess I gotta play Wolfenstein now.

Top Bottom