• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is 10 years old.

GavinUK86

Tigon Studios did release that mobile Riddick game back in 2013 which I think Vin hoped would spark people's interest in the franchise again like he recently did with the movie. Not sure how that panned out. No one remembers it so I guess it flopped.

Riddick has always been on the verge of being a huge blockbuster but never quite making it. Games and movies. It's a shame really because as we all know they're bloody fantastic. Even reading and talking about EFBB and AODA makes me want to play them both again.

Not to derail but does anyone remember The Wheelman..... /facepalm

woodypop

I literally almost bought an OG Xbox copy last week, but then I found out that it's not backwards compatible on the 360. =(

Quite possibly my favorite FPS and movie-licensed game ever. This is a good prompt to play it again.

I think it's worth recognizing just how hard Vin Diesel worked to get this game made. He didn't just provide the voice acting for Riddick. He helped shape the direction of the story and the character (apparently he made Starbreeze cut down the number of Riddick's lines, because he didn't want the character to be too talky). He also founded Tigon Studios specifically to help publish the game. Not only that, but he went out on the press trail and marketed the game to as many outlets as he could. I specifically remember picking up a copy of OXM, and there being a four page interview with Diesel where he talked about the development process and basically how awesome it was.

The dude fucking committed himself, and deserves major props for that. He's part of the reason why EoBB was so very much more than a movie tie-in game.

This is a very interesting thing too; I knew he pretty much owned his character, but I didn't know he went that far with the game's production. I don't think I've seen an actor care more about his infamous character than Diesel as Riddick.

j0hnnix

I never had the chance to play Riddick but I have played the darkness, payday maybe in the near future ill pick it up and play it. It looks amazing way beyond its time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Easily one of the best shooters ever made. The atmosphere will always stay with me. That haunting soundtrack with great ambient sound and huge, empty, hollowed out areas that felt completely impossible to break out of just worked so brilliantly.

I dunno if it's aged completely well (I believe once the guards see you out of cover, everyone knows exactly where you are), but man, what an amazing experience.

This game was so great. I don't even really classify it as an FPS or a shooter because so much of it is spent melee fighting or simply exploring/stealthing. One of the things it really nailed was that feel of having a singular cohesive environment that you have to escape from, but having it varied within itself. Much like Resident Evil 4 or Metal Gear Solid 3 in that regard.

I also agree about Dark Athena, the first 2/3 are good stuff and underrated imo. The last third being so bad really had people hammering that game when it came out, and I felt the first section of the game was unfairly bashed at the time.

The characters were also so well realized. It's no surprise that people are saying some of the evil characters in the new Wolfenstein are really scary after encountering that one dude in Dark Athena.

This and chaos theory blew my mind when they came out. This was ahead of its time. You could put this against launch 360 games and visually I think this would come out on top. This game was also better than any Riddick film. Even pitch black.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tigon Studios did release that mobile Riddick game back in 2013 which I think Vin hoped would spark people's interest in the franchise again like he recently did with the movie. Not sure how that panned out. No one remembers it so I guess it flopped.

Vin confirmed that another Riddick game was entering development... but unfortunately it's going to be "more of an MMO".

I've been waiting
im
patiently for WB to put it back up on Steam. I'm hoping it resurfaces as part of the recently-announced WB Vault initiative. There may be the matter of Vin's likeness but I can't imagine that getting him to sign off on a re-release of the game would be difficult.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Riddick has always been on the verge of being a huge blockbuster but never quite making it. Games and movies. It's a shame really because as we all know they're bloody fantastic. Even reading and talking about EFBB and AODA makes me want to play them both again.

I love Wheelman. I think it's a genuinely really underrated arcade driving/racing game. The third person action stuff is admittedly nothing special but bombing about in the cars is a blast.

Persona7

Banned
I thought that has now been changed to 3 installers per month. After a month it resets. However, still buy the GOG version.

Oh really?

The TAGES drivers are really bad, it caused tons of issues on windows 7 last time I had to install a game with that DRM.

Teeth

The first time I saw an ENB mod for a game, I immediately thought: This looks like Riddick.

The ENB soft gradient lighting, crushed blacks, heavy bloom, heavy DoF, grainy filmic look is the spitting image of Riddick's visual style. There are times when pictures look like real shots.

F9A1B8864D402A0395BEA16FAC963986C80B8258

F36A63E7A0EA573914BDA57D2DFFF6C6852381CD

D213D34763D0CF7E12A3786A6DE97607D541282E

eshwaaz

The best thing about this game was the fighting. <amazing gifs>
Replaying Riddick now, and that's one thing that's really missing from Wolfenstein - the bodies in Riddick had a fantastic sense of weight. The way the rag roll was implemented, plus terrific sound effects gave those bodies mass. Bodies feel hollow and weightless in Wolfenstein by comparison.

dhonk

I fucking love Starbreeze shooters, haven't played The New Order yet. Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay remains my one and only Lets Play.

Felensis

Banned
Thanks OP for this great thread!
Currently I'm playing Wolfenstein TNO and I love it just as I do with The Darkness (still my all-time fave in terms of action-adventure/ego-shooter) and Brothers. I've already bought Riddick a few weeks ago for X360 and definitely will play it after finishing Wolfenstein especially since I totally love the movies as well.

VandalD

Friend had this on Xbox and I remember mocking him a bit for buying movie license garbage. Turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played. Still looks damn good to this day too.

kekke

Banned
Easily one of the best shooters ever made. The atmosphere will always stay with me. That haunting soundtrack with great ambient sound and huge, empty, hollowed out areas that felt completely impossible to break out of just worked so brilliantly.

I dunno if it's aged completely well (I believe once the guards see you out of cover, everyone knows exactly where you are), but man, what an amazing experience.

Saddest thing is that it has aged pretty well in that regard. It still seems like in majority of games when one guard sees you, everyone knows where you are. One would think that by now they could have implemented more realistic approach, atleast make guard who sees you scream where you are or something. I remember that in Far Cry 3 when you shot with silencer, they still knew where to look for you.

Butcher's Bay is a stone cold classic, and Dark Athena is even better, if only because you get the best version of Butcher's Bay with it. I don't even mind the end, because:

A. The end of Butcher's Bay is the weakest part of that game, so my expectations weren't that high.

and B. The mine gun they give you is so absurdly powerful and fun to use I didnt even notice that the story was going off the rails.

Playing the 2 back to back is a treat because of how much variety there is in the pacing and mechanics.

Grief.exe

An online buddy of mine just told me he had never played darkness and riddick because he doesn't like single player fps. Almost lost it on him and told him his first mistake was lumping these as shooters. I used the 'to kill a mockingbird' and Flash Gordon references since he is a film aficionado . See if that works :(

There are some amazing singleplayer FPS games out there, your friend is missing out on a lot of great games.

The first time I saw an ENB mod for a game, I immediately thought: This looks like Riddick.

The ENB soft gradient lighting, crushed blacks, heavy bloom, heavy DoF, grainy filmic look is the spitting image of Riddick's visual style. There are times when pictures look like real shots.

is this is for the remake or the original release? You need a good quality nvidia card for enb right?

Want to live? Get a shiv.

haha I loved the phrase. thats only thing that prisoner said while doing push ups

Dizzy-4U

So I bought this from Steam centuries ago and today I got the bug to play it again. Turns out, their stupid ass DRM won't let me register my key. So now I have to look for a crack to play the game I paid for.

Beautiful....

Nokterian

So I bought this from Steam centuries ago and today I got the bug to play it again. Turns out, their stupid ass DRM won't let me register my key. So now I have to look for a crack to play the game I paid for.

Beautiful....

Gog.com drm free. I also rebought it there.

Grief.exe

Beautiful....

Jase gave some good advice on this.

• Download game
  • Apply cracked exe
  • Run

Tages is not installed until game is run for the first time, cracking the exe prevents Tages from being installed on your system entirely.
I just picked up the GOG version to skirt this issue.

delume

Technical masterpiece, true to the source material and just a thoroughly cohesive world. I got lost in this game when it came out and it is the main reason I have an unhealthy fondness of the Riddick universe. Thanks Starbreeze!

Dizzy-4U

• Download game
  • Apply cracked exe
  • Run

Tages is not installed until game is run for the first time, cracking the exe prevents Tages from being installed on your system entirely.
Just downloaded a crack. Let's see how it goes. If not, fuck it, I'll rebuy it on gog.

dhonk

Hey, weird question but did the SDK they released for the original Riddick for PC ever produce anything? Google results in precisely nothing.

Also I would do anything for a PC port of The Darkness. Anything. Starbreeze plz.

- J - D -

I bought this game when it originally came out for Xbox. It raised the bar for my expectations of all fps campaigns from that point on. It truly was a game-changing experience and was so ahead of its time, even though there were games that attempted some of its core elements before (Breakdown, which was also an Xbox game).

It still stuns me how good the game was- the sheer impossibility of being as good as it was, in spite of what it was perceived to be (a movie-license game based on a rather shaky movie property).

Escape From Butcher Bay is still to this day a singular experience and feels just as fresh now as it did a frickin decade ago.

StayUp

• Download game
  • Apply cracked exe
  • Run

Oh I might try this then. I was waiting for the GOG version to go on sale.

EGM1966

Great game and still the single best "exception to the rule" game based on movie franchise to date.

Vin and Starbreeze did good with this one.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm finding that some ex-Starbreeze dev's new game, Wolfenstein, is utterly fantastic. Starts off kinda bad in the first hour but now I'm enjoying it more than any shooter I've played in the last few years. Only halfway through but it's a solid recommendation.

Grief.exe

:(

Guess I'm waiting till we have competent 360 emulators to enjoy it on PC. Which is going to be a whiiiiiiile.

I emailed the president of Starbreeze the other day, maybe he will get back to me.

I very much dislike playing shooters with a controller, let alone with lower frame rates and resolutions.

Newboi

I've recently started to play the Riddick games on PC. Butcher Bay has been amazing so far, but I haven't played it in a month due to Dark Souls II consuming my life lol. I'll beat Wolfenstein before I get back to Riddick.

Has anyone tried GeDoSaTo with Riddick? Do the extra features like HDR bloom and Bokeh DoF work with it?

Grief.exe

I've recently started to play the Riddick games on PC. Butcher Bay has been amazing so far, but I haven't played it in a month due to Dark Souls II consuming my life lol. I'll beat Wolfenstein before I get back to Riddick.

Has anyone tried GeDoSaTo with Riddick? Do the extra features like HDR bloom and Bokeh DoF work with it?

I haven't personally tried gedosato with Riddick as I downsample through drivers, but the DOF effect in the game is very good.

Top Bottom