• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cloverfield Paradox debuts tonight on Netflix

The movie is based on a script called The God Particle, which is available for reading online and completely unrelated to Cloverfield (much like The Cellar, aka 10 Cloverfield Lane). It was slated to come out last year but was delayed several times, until rumors surfaced last month that Paramount was trying to trim down their release schedule and shopping the movie around to Netflix.

Well, turns out those rumors are true and it's debuting right after the game.

The delays had me worried, and Netflix buying it doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.. but here's hoping it's good. The original script was interesting so I'm curious to see how they Clover it up, at the very least.

Edit: It's not very good. It's obvious why Paramount was looking for a buyer.

Last edited:

ThisGuy

I'm in. I'm a big fan of cloverfield. 10 Lane was decent. The big reveal felt forced I recall. But, it didn't sour me on the series at all. Excited for it.

Trogdor1123

I'll check it out. I wasn't aware the films were actually connected, I thought it was just a fan theory like the Pixar universe

mrkgoo

I don't think they are meant to be apparently connected. The term "Cloverfield" is just ostensibly used to connect them as part of the same sort of anthology or theme. What that theme is I don't yet know , so maybe a third film will help solidify that.

I looked forward to it.

I didn't much care for Cloverfield, mostly because I didn't really like the found footage style, but I absolutely adore 10 Cloverfield Lane.

ThisGuy

I don't think they are meant to be apparently connected. The term "Cloverfield" is just ostensibly used to connect them as part of the same sort of anthology or theme. What that theme is I don't yet know , so maybe a third film will help solidify that.

Did you watch the trailer? It looked like this is linked directly to the first. Which is great to me if so.

But yeah, after 10 lane I thought cloverfield was a collection of ideas, not directly related. I mean, clearly it still can be with some films being directly related while others not.

mrkgoo

Did you watch the trailer? It looked like this is linked directly to the first. Which is great to me if so.

But yeah, after 10 lane I thought cloverfield was a collection of ideas, not directly related. I mean, clearly it still can be with some films being directly related while others not.
No i haven't seen the trailer yet.

So it is a sequel? I thought it had another name and wasn't ever related to cloverfield originally.

Maybe that's what the "theme" of the series is - "could be linked". Lol

ThisGuy

No i haven't seen the trailer yet.

So it is a sequel? I thought it had another name and wasn't ever related to cloverfield originally.

Maybe that's what the "theme" of the series is - "could be linked". Lol

Lol, after watching it, its incredibly loosely linked. The ending solidifies that they are linked. But if you chop out the last scene and drop the name cloverfield it has nothing to do with it.

It was okay, I'll never watch it again. And they only time I'll mention it is to say 'yeah. I've seen that, it was okay'.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That was absolutely the most... Idk the word...cheapest way I have ever seen a company try to force a connection to a series.

Like... Come on 😂😂😂

MastAndo

That movie originally had nothing to do with Cloverfield movie, did it? I will say it went from laughably bad to meh, but that's about as kind as I can be.

mrkgoo

Lol, after watching it, its incredibly loosely linked. The ending solidifies that they are linked. But if you chop out the last scene and drop the name cloverfield it has nothing to do with it.

It was okay, I'll never watch it again. And they only time I'll mention it is to say 'yeah. I've seen that, it was okay'.

Lol I haven't watched it or know about any link, but as soon as visited the netflix webpage:
The auto trailer started playing, with shots from the first movie, then big words that stated something along the lines of "10 years ago something came, now, see why"

Last edited:
Meh. I feel like it had the potential to go two ways about 30 minutes in: go full on Evil Dead in Space or space horror like Event Horizon. It dabbles in both directions but never establishes itself in either, instead landing square in the center and results in a middling sci fi film. I see why Paramount was so hesitant to put it out in theaters and rather had Netflix just buy it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Lol I haven't watched it or know about any link, but as soon as visited the netflix webpage:
The auto trailer started playing, with shots from the first movie, then big words that stated something along the lines of "10 years ago something came, now, see why"

Well that's one way to give it away lol.

Meh. I feel like it had the potential to go two ways about 30 minutes in: go full on Evil Dead in Space or space horror like Event Horizon. It dabbles in both directions but never establishes itself in either, instead landing square in the center and results in a middling sci fi film. I see why Paramount was so hesitant to put it out in theaters and rather had Netflix just buy it.

I kind of liked it as a guilty pleasure, I can see why it went the Event Horizon direction but kind of backed off a bit. I guess it backed off cause they didn't want it to be a Event Horizon clone? Even though those were some of the most entertaining parts of the film for me.

If anything I got more vibes from Danny Boyle's Sunshine for what it was going for. The motivations for the plot moving forward are very similar as well the vehicle that is used (albeit different methods). It should have taken what made it unique and separated itself from those films and ran with that a little more.

As far as comparing it to recent sci fi flicks I would rank it somewhere similar as to Life (2017) the space sci-fi flick that came out last year with Jake Gyllenhaal.

Rendle

Banned
Holy shit that was fast. I remember looking at the wikipage a week or so ago and it said it had been delayed again. Now not only is the trailer out but the movie is spontaneously out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Don't be shocked if Annihilation ends up being similarly messy. Same trajectory as this. Focus tested poorly, studio lost faith, Netflix snapped up the distribution rights. Only difference is Annihilation is still getting released in theaters in the US...but it'll be on Netflix worldwide like two weeks later. Honestly, I think the only reason they're still sticking it out in the US is because Annihilation has a bigger name in Portman and the marketing campaign had already started.

Larogue

Very generic sci-fi movie (Not bad, just little bland and not very creative) with forced connection to Cloverfield. 6/10

Corrik

I can only imagine how bad this movie is that they were projecting so low that they dumped this on Netflix. Can't wait to see it.

Kalre

Felt like a collage of a lot of different movies lol, there where some pretty fucking dumb momments but overall it was lots of fun, and that ending, guess im just a little bitch for apocaliptic movies.

Rendle

Banned
Why are so many Netflix original sci-fi movies shit? Is it because Netlix snaps up rights for movies like What Happened to Monday and Cloverfeild Paradox that would do poorly if released to theatre? Or do they just have no interest in QA like a regular movie studio might, so they don't insist upon reshoots or changes?

Very generic sci-fi movie (Not bad, just little bland and not very creative) with forced connection to Cloverfield. 6/10
"Forced" is putting it mildly! Apparently the B-plot with the guy and the kid on Earth wasn't in the movie at all during screenings of the film. It was more like 10 Cloverfield Lane with a tenuous link to Cloverfield (John Goodman worked for a Tagruato subsidiary), but they changed it to have a more overt (and frankly, stupid) connection.
I kind of liked it as a guilty pleasure, I can see why it went the Event Horizon direction but kind of backed off a bit. I guess it backed off cause they didn't want it to be a Event Horizon clone? Even though those were some of the most entertaining parts of the film for me.

If anything I got more vibes from Danny Boyle's Sunshine for what it was going for. The motivations for the plot moving forward are very similar as well the vehicle that is used (albeit different methods). It should have taken what made it unique and separated itself from those films and ran with that a little more.

As far as comparing it to recent sci fi flicks I would rank it somewhere similar as to Life (2017) the space sci-fi flick that came out last year with Jake Gyllenhaal.
The writing in this film established very early on that it wouldn't reach the heights of Sunshine, but I did receive Sunshine vibes from the final act when the alternate universe lady turned on them. Reminded me of the slasher part of Sunshine. I also got some Jason X vibes from the creativity of some deaths lol (the water room, the metallic goo, etc.).

I guess my point is that it was that the film was a bit of a tonal mess.

I love Cloverfield 1 and Lane so I'm just.. extremely disappointed in this.
But hey, I guess we'll always have the 4th Cloverfield film to look forward to: Overlord (which is wrapping up production, I believe). It takes place during WWII so I've been curious about that one for some time now.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I still haven't seen the sequel. I didn't really love the first film, but all the implied mystery kinda had peaked my interest. I want to know more about that monster...

ChrisDude

Ugh...Is it so hard to just make a fucking Cloverfield Sequel? Instead we get the second movie that has nothing to do with the first monster movie. It looks like it was made to be a direct straight to DVD release and for marketing value they slapped the Cloverfield name on it.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Why are so many Netflix original sci-fi movies shit? Is it because Netlix snaps up rights for movies like What Happened to Monday and Cloverfeild Paradox that would do poorly if released to theatre? Or do they just have no interest in QA like a regular movie studio might, so they don't insist upon reshoots or changes?
I would imagine studios realize their movie is shit and would perform poorly in theaters, so they run to Netflix for an offer.

Netflix is the new direct to dumpster, I guess.

Netflix has it's fair share of direct to dumpsters but there's a few hidden gems in there.

Spectral is a damn solid little action sci-fi B movie with some amazing production values and cool concepts.

Last edited:

Fbh

It wasn't that bad IMO.
Forgettable but entertaining. At very least I found it slightly more enjoyable than Life which was even more derivative than this one. At least here they copied from a bunch of movies instead of just making Alien with a less interesting alien

This Cloverfield cinematic universe is a mess though. It's made up of 3 completely different and unrelated movies that have extremely forced connections.

As for the movie itself:
- Some of the things didn't make sense to me. Like why was the chopped off arm from that guy sentient? And why did it know stuff the rest of the crew didnt?
- So the first cloverfield takes place in yet another alternate universe? Because I don't remember them ever mentioning some energy crisis or war or anything like that.

And my biggest nitpick complain
- Tam (I think it's what she was called) felt like blatant pandering to the Chinese audiences. The Brazilian, Russian and German guys all speak english but she only speaks chinese? So instead of teaching english to one crew member they decided that teaching chinese to the entire crew was easier? It's also obvious that she DOES understand English since they speak in english to her a lot of times and she needs to be able to keep up with the conversations during meetings

Last edited:

mrkgoo

It wasn't that bad IMO.
Forgettable but entertaining. At very least I found it slightly more enjoyable than Life which was even more derivative than this one. At least here they copied from a bunch of movies instead of just making Alien with a less interesting alien

This Cloverfield cinematic universe is a mess though. It's made up of 3 completely different and unrelated movies that have extremely forced connections.

As for the movie itself:
- Some of the things didn't make sense to me. Like why was the chopped off arm from that guy sentient? And why did it know stuff the rest of the crew didnt?
- So the first cloverfield takes place in yet another alternate universe? Because I don't remember there ever mentioning some energy crisis or war or anything like that.

And by biggest nitpick complain
- Tam (I think it's what she was called) felt like blatant pandering to the Chinese audiences. The Brazilian, Russian and German guys all speak english but she only speaks chinese? So instead of teaching english to one crew member they decided that teaching chinese to the entire crew was easier? It's also obvious that she DOES understand English since they speak in english to her a lot of times and she needs to be able to keep up with the conversations during meetings

The connections would be the term "Cloverfield". Hey, here's a way to protect your City/Bunker/Space Station - DON'T name it Cloverfield. Problems solved!

J-Roderton

Eh. Just watched it. Solid three outa five for me. Just an alright sci fi flick. Cool to see Chris O'Dowd again.

Again, I'm not quite into how they're trying to connect the three films, so whatever.

How is the second one even connected?
It wasn't, really.
The only connection between them was this shot:
l6EnHqr.png

Bold Futura is a subsidiary of Tagruato, which is the company that awakened Clover underwater in the first movie (as revealed by the movie's ARG).

But Paradox says that they all take place in different timelines of the same world, as shown in this handy chart made by someone on Reddit:
J2krBce.jpg

But that implies that Clover suddenly appears in the first movie, thus throwing the ARG's canon into a bit of disarray.

TL;DR: they're pulling shit out of their asses and seeing what sticks.

Last edited:

cucuchu

If I had to give this a rating between 0 and 10, I would give it a 1.

I enjoyed the first two movies and wish they would of kept things more subtle/cryptic in how everything is connected. Instead you get this mash-up of sci-fi tropes film with Cloverfield exposition seemingly shoe-horned in. The characters do not behave in any realistic manner respective to the situation they are in and this is coming from someone that loves horror sci-fi enough to reason with stupid character decisions such as those in Alien Covenant and Life. At least in those films you could just say the characters are behaving like idiots but at least they reacted to shitty situations in a way that was believable.

It feels like there was a 2 hour movie here that was mismanaged and started as a comedy space-adventure and went through multiple rewrites to become sort of sci-fi horror and they cut out 45 minutes from it to smash in 15 - 20 minutes of Cloverfield exposition after the film was pretty much made. Its fucking maddening.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well produced and nice vfx. However the story was mishmash even though l love sci-fi l just couldn't like this. I honestly didn't care for any of the characters. Ending was satisfying you'll know what l mean when you've finished watching it.

NahaNago

Well, this was the first Cloverfield movie that I was interested in enough to watch and it was pretty solid. It was a mishmash of ideas that didn't quite fit well together and I kept feeling like it could have been a lot better if maybe someone else directed it or the writing was modified just a bit more. Kinda felt like a softer version of aliens with the crew and the station just not done anywhere near as well though.

Aklamarth

Apparently every fucking movie ever made can be a Cloverfield movie if you show a monster at the end....

Movie was bullhsit, it would have flopped on the big screen.

Last edited:
This movie was boring as hell, the tie is weak as hell, and the Cloverfield "universe" is a disaster.

I love all these interviews and reveal articles, "You won't believe 10 Cloverfield Lane wasn't a Cloverfield movie at first!," "Cloverfield Paradox wasn't a Cloverfield movie until an idea during filming!"...yeah, it fucking shows, no shit.

Cloverfield OG deserves better. Much, much better.

shpankey

not an idiot
I was pretty disappointed in this movie. I guess I was hoping for more on the Cloverfield front than just the tack on at the end. Unless you have nothing else to watch, like, at all, I would recommend passing on it completely. Acting/Writing/Everything was pretty much subpar.

lachesis

I thought it was okay. Not a big fan of the Cloverfield movies to begin with, but I do not detest it either. I mildly enjoyed the 1st and 2nd - but it did seem a bit old on 3rd one, even though every movie premises on different phenomenon (but ends up being alien/monster movie)

bitbydeath

I didn’t mind it, good to get an explanation for how everything came to be, even if it was a bit flimsy.

Apparently every fucking movie ever made can be a Cloverfield movie if you show a monster at the end....

There was a guy at the beginning who tried to warn everyone about what would happen, even mentioned the monsters coming out of the sea.

Ugh...Is it so hard to just make a fucking Cloverfield Sequel? Instead we get the second movie that has nothing to do with the first monster movie. It looks like it was made to be a direct straight to DVD release and for marketing value they slapped the Cloverfield name on it.

It’s a prequel which explains the events leading up to the first movie.

Corrik

I didn’t mind it, good to get an explanation for how everything came to be, even if it was a bit flimsy.

There was a guy at the beginning who tried to warn everyone about what would happen, even mentioned the monsters coming out of the sea.

It’s a prequel which explains the events leading up to the first movie.
The guy explaining what would happen was honestly probably one of the worst parts of the movie. It was like "hey, guys this is a Cloverfield movie and this is how!".

Dumbest part was definitely the arm scenes.

Top Bottom