• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Conners" flops.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...ps-without-roseanne-conners-dead-last-ratings

I guess when you remove the titular character to create a show about all of the supporting characters, the draw is gone.

“The Conners” dropped in everything last night–total viewers, key demo. In the nightly ratings battle. the “Roseanne” spin off continues to trend downward.

Last night, “The Conners” was beaten by everything- “NCIS,” “The Voice,” etc. This was their first really objective run, no World Series, nothing to distract potential viewers.

But the key demo sank, which isn’t a good sign. And the total viewers were down by 180K, which is a lot, frankly. People are leaving and they’re not coming back.

ABC has ordered 1 extra episode to the original order of 10. Sounds to me like a finale. Someone wakes up and says they dreamt Roseanne died. There’s a cackle from the next room. Fade to black.

LUXURY

What Roseanne said was stupid, you could use the excuse that she is a comedian or whatever but it sad still stupid and insensitive. That said, ABC didn’t take anything into consideration when letting her go. They could have suspended her or something else. They had a very successful reboot with Roseanne. It had a massive return.

Completely removing someone that was the backbone of a show sinces it’s premiere and trying to retool the show to focus on her less than interesting daughters was a flat out mistake. I get they tried to save it for the people involved so they could keep a job, but it’s not going well and I knew it wouldn’t. There is no show without Roseanne no matter what you try to do with the ensemble. It will continue to plunge and people only showed interest in episode one to see how they would handle Roseanne’s fate and that was it.

The current ratings are enough to make ABC happy though, they don’t have too much going for themselves right now.

Silent Duck

ABC says:
GTuWi.gif

Duellist

Good, I'm glad. Roseanne screwed up, fire her, suspend her or whatever. Trying to reboot without main star was incredibly stupid. Feel bad for rest of cast though.

NickFire

It's sad that they wouldn't punish her some other way. Like slashing her salary and donating difference to charity, etc. A lot of people really enjoyed the show and it touched on difficult topics in a manner that might have helped people open their eyes. The interplay with the neighbors was a good example, and the grandson's wardrobe is another. But identity politics rules the day, so throwing out the baby with the bath was their final decision and to hell with the people who liked the show or who may have actually learned to respect others from watching it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It was a dumb descision to reboot this without Roaseanne. I figured it would have a strong debut episode, then drastically drop off afterwards until being quickly cancelled.

BANGS

Banned
I watched the first two episodes, I think it's great without her. Darlene basically took over her role and is doing really well with it. I think the drop in ratings is more from people who are protesting or something, it's not like Roseanne herself was some amazing irreplaceable character or anything...

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It was to be expected. But at least they tried to give the rest of the cast a chance. Which I'm thankful for. I didn't wanna see them all lose their jobs outright just because Rosanne made the racist comments that she made.

I wish them all luck though in their future endeavors. Or maybe they will find a way to bring the ratings up.

Last edited:

kingwingin

They should play it off as a dream that she died like they did with dan when the show first ended.

Start season 2 off right and get her back on the show

kunonabi

I mean the show was just yet another liberal propaganda tool at this point so it doesnt surprise me that people would bail with the star gone. I feel bad for Metcalf but this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Sleepydays

Banned
It's not like Roseanne herself was some amazing irreplaceable character or anything...

So the creative lead and primary character in one of the most successful sitcoms of all time, whose last season opened to huge viewing figures is completely expendable to you?

So perfectly wrong. And the viewing figures entirely support that.

Sleepydays

Banned
I mean the show was just yet another liberal propaganda tool at this point so it doesnt surprise me that people would bail with the star gone. I feel bad for Metcalf but this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Yeah. They removed the primary tension that the show was built around - a politically-polarized household co-existing - and turned it into everything else on TV.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that execs at the main networks feel icky about any shows that doesn't align with their personal politics. Even if said shows are hits, they want them gone, as absurd as that is.

There's something innately fascinating about fat women that talk alot. That's how Married with Children stayed consistently funny. Remember that Fat librarian who kept spooning mounds of sugar in her coffee?

Nymphae

Banned
The very idea they tried to keep making money off this husk of a show created by the person they didn't want to have anything to do with, is funny to me. And even funnier that the audience who enjoyed the first showing basically told them to fuck off.

BANGS

Banned
So the creative lead and primary character in one of the most successful sitcoms of all time, whose last season opened to huge viewing figures is completely expendable to you?

So perfectly wrong. And the viewing figures entirely support that.
I mean at this point, yeah she is. The show is still every bit as good without her. You act as though viewership is a tight reflection on quality... forgetting that most people tuned in based on nostalgia alone and without her there's not much nostalgia left...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’m glad tbh

That Roseanne interview w Joe Rogan was pretty eye opening. Nobody else on the cast was willing to play the Trump supporter. A mainstream US tv show where nobody is allowed to represent people that voted for the president is utterly hilarious.

The way they keep defending that Liberal bubble and 2020 is going to be an extreme surprise once again. “I don’t get it, we purged our tv shows, where did these people come from. Must be Russia!”

Last edited:

tkscz

I mean at this point, yeah she is. The show is still every bit as good without her. You act as though viewership is a tight reflection on quality... forgetting that most people tuned in based on nostalgia alone and without her there's not much nostalgia left...

And you forget quality is subjective. Maybe those people simply don't find the show as good without her? To say the show is just as good is your opinion, to others it's quality may have dropped when Rosanne left.

Sleepydays

Banned

I did watch the follow-up and entirely disagree that the show is 'every bit as good': it's essentially lobotomized, gurgling and drooling its way towards cancellation.

I'm not sure nostalgic reasons account for the show's success, although that was part of it. I think the subject matter appealed to people. I think the return of something more authentic (relative to the usual dross) and blue-collar has huge appeal and is totally under-served on network TV.

I fully understand that popularity =/= quality, but you don't see any connection between lopping the head off of a popular show (and also destroying the central plank of the new series ie: a politically split household) and a steep drop-off in ratings? All those people are just making some kind of political point?

BANGS

Banned
And you forget quality is subjective. Maybe those people simply don't find the show as good without her? To say the show is just as good is your opinion, to others it's quality may have dropped when Rosanne left.
I didn't forget it, I was replying to a subjective statement about her usefulness. And while you may be correct that her absence has made the show worse in other's eyes, I have a feeling that simply isn't true. There haven't been enough episodes to make that call and the few we've had seem pretty damn on par with what the show was when she was still on it...

I did watch the follow-up and entirely disagree that the show is 'every bit as good': it's essentially lobotomized, gurgling and drooling its way towards cancellation.

I'm not sure nostalgic reasons account for the show's success, although that was part of it. I think the subject matter appealed to people. I think the return of something more authentic (relative to the usual dross) and blue-collar has huge appeal and is totally under-served on network TV.

I fully understand that popularity =/= quality, but you don't see any connection between lopping the head off of a popular show (and also destroying the central plank of the new series ie: a politically split household) and a steep drop-off in ratings? All those people are just making some kind of political point?
I mean, I guess just read my response above. I don't think everyone who stopped watching is making a political statement, but I'm sure a large handful are, another large handful are just upset she left the show, another group because disinterested during the haitus, another about their loss of nostalgia, etc... The quality of the show could have skyrocketed and I'd imagine the ratings would still plummet in this short term...

oagboghi2

What made the show interesting was her character was different from everyone else. Now that she is gone, what does the show have going for it. It's no different than any other "liberal" show on T.V.

BANGS

Banned
What made the show interesting was her character was different from everyone else. Now that she is gone, what does the show have going for it. It's no different than any other "liberal" show on T.V.
I mean I don't watch sitcoms for political ideals... each character is still very different from each other and just because they aren't arguing politics all the time doesn't make the show any less funny... And if political "muh diversuhtee" is really that important to you, Dan still exists...

BANGS

Banned
I have a feeling you're in a very small minority in feeling that way.
Most people probably aren't giving it enough thought. I'd imagine most people are just knee-jerking "No Rosanne in Rosanne? Fuck this!" without giving the show a fair shake. The show isn't actually worse to them, it's just not the show they wanted...

Tedesco!

I’m glad tbh

That Roseanne interview w Joe Rogan was pretty eye opening. Nobody else on the cast was willing to play the Trump supporter. A mainstream US tv show where nobody is allowed to represent people that voted for the president is utterly hilarious.

The way they keep defending that Liberal bubble and 2020 is going to be an extreme surprise once again. “I don’t get it, we purged our tv shows, where did these people come from. Must be Russia!”

Nobody was willing, or nobody was allowed? There is a distinct difference.

Dthomp

Hmmm, I don't mind the spin-off. I also wouldn't have cared had they just went away for half a season to a season and let things die down and keep her on. Hope they get a chance to keep going and get their footing. I mean is whatever they replace it with going to do Roseanne type numbers instead? If not enjoy the ratings you do get. I would love the idea of the finale of the season playing out as a dream of hers and they bring her back even if it's in a lesser role of sorts.

To put this into actual numbers, the first two episodes of the reboot (which aired back to back) had 18.4 million viewers. The 2nd week and 3rd week episodes had 15.3 and 13.7 million. The very last episode of the season had 10.58.

The first episode without Roseanne (where one might assume viewers would want see how they wrote her off of the show) had 10.56 million viewers. Think about that. It had fewer viewers than the tail end episodes of the last season. The second episode had 8 million, and the third 7.83. Last night was the forth, and it sounds like those numbers were even lower.

No episode in the first season saw anything less than 10.29, and already without Roseanne, they're looking at 7.83 from the third episode. Meanwhile again, the third week episode of the first season had 13.7 million viewers.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Good, I'm glad. Roseanne screwed up, fire her, suspend her or whatever. Trying to reboot without main star was incredibly stupid. Feel bad for rest of cast though.

I don't. They completely turned their backs on her when she was thrown into the fire. Gilbert went on to actively speak out against her. After claiming to be so close with each other and all of that horseshit? Fuck em.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

To put this into actual numbers, the first two episodes of the reboot (which aired back to back) had 18.4 million viewers. The 2nd week and 3rd week episodes had 15.3 and 13.7 million. The very last episode of the season had 10.58.

The first episode without Roseanne (where one might assume viewers would want see how they wrote her off of the show) had 10.56 million viewers. Think about that. It had fewer viewers than the tail end episodes of the last season. The second episode had 8 million, and the third 7.83. Last night was the forth, and it sounds like those numbers were even lower.

No episode in the first season saw anything less than 10.29, and already without Roseanne, they're looking at 7.83 from the third episode. Meanwhile again, the third week episode of the first season had 13.7 million viewers.
So, the ratings would have ended up in the same place even if Roseanne hadn't been fired.

Which means people are just using the reboot's low ratings as a way of inserting their politics into it.

So, the ratings would have ended up in the same place even if Roseanne hadn't been fired.

Which means people are just using the reboot's low ratings as a way of inserting their politics into it.

May I borrow your crystal ball sometime? Because nobody knows that one way or another. If they kept her, ratings might have been far worse than even these numbers, or they might have been considerably better. We'll never really know.

cr0w

Old Member
People who watched Roseanne for Roseanne aren't going to watch Roseanne without Roseanne. I can't imagine why this would surprise ABC.

Sannakji

Banned
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...ps-without-roseanne-conners-dead-last-ratings

I guess when you remove the titular character to create a show about all of the supporting characters, the draw is gone.

Yeah, shame on Roseanne for not considering her co-workers (cast and crew) before likening a person of colour to a character that looks like a monkey. She negatively impacted a lot of lives in a very serious way if the show doesn't make it. Hopefully cast and crew can find work quickly if this goes under because it sure ain't Roseanne who'll be writing their cheques.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

If the show was "every bit as good without her", it wouldn't be failing to keep an audience. The fact of the matter is: the show is not as good.

guggnichso

Banned
It’s still sad that I can’t watch any of those shows (the reboot and the Roseanne-less thingy) in Germany in any legal way. I‘d have loved to build my own opinion about this.

TrainedRage

Banned
You can't literally look up two posts?
Oh so another, "only black people can say that"?

How about Hillary saying "they all look the same"? She get a pass?

I will call kids monkeys if they are acting like it. It's not racist unless you are racist.

Sannakji

Banned
How about Hillary saying "they all look the same"? She get a pass?

I have no positive things to say about Mrs. Clinton. I have about as much time for her as those who think they 'won' with whatboutisms. (Which is close to none).

I will call kids monkeys if they are acting like it. It's not racist unless you are racist.

Erm, nope. It is racist if you're not of African descent but liken anyone that is to a monkey, because some of us have actually studied very recent human history.

Top Bottom