• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Conners" flops.

Grinchy

Banned
I tried watching the first episode and it's just not good. It wasn't really that good last season either, though. The timing is just so off and they give so much screen time to the terrible actors like the woman who plays Becky.

The jokes remind me a little bit of 30 Rock where they're overproduced and the actors just read them quickly and loudly without any proper inflection or reaction. It's just a mess.

Good, I'm glad. Roseanne screwed up, fire her, suspend her or whatever. Trying to reboot without main star was incredibly stupid. Feel bad for rest of cast though.

I felt bad for the rest of the cast until in listened to the Rogan podcast with her on it. Sure she is batshit crazy but the show was based on HER LIFE. To force her out and then get her to sign over the rights was just disgusting to me. Also, most of the cast members were all for stealing her IP and keeping it for themselves. They got what they deserve with the flop.

It was to be expected. But at least they tried to give the rest of the cast a chance. Which I'm thankful for. I didn't wanna see them all lose their jobs outright just because Rosanne made the racist comments that she made.

I wish them all luck though in their future endeavors. Or maybe they will find a way to bring the ratings up.

They didn't lose their jobs because if a stupid tweet. They (would have and probably will now) lost their jobs because we live in a ridiculous, reactionary climate of fear that caused some executives to make one of the dumbest mistakes in the history of television.

Yeah, shame on Roseanne for not considering her co-workers (cast and crew) before likening a person of colour to a character that looks like a monkey. She negatively impacted a lot of lives in a very serious way if the show doesn't make it. Hopefully cast and crew can find work quickly if this goes under because it sure ain't Roseanne who'll be writing their cheques.

Roseanne was the one who signed over her rights to the show so her cowardly, back stabbing co-workers cold continue on without her. This is on all of them, not Roseanne.

Last edited:
I expected the show would lose a lot of quality without Rosanne, but I guess I feel sorry for some of the actors too. Not only will they lose money from the new series, but if the old one isnt shown as much around the world (re-runs of old Rosanne were playing here in Australia before the Twitter drama, but not after), I assume they'll lose from that too.

mango drank

Was the 2017 reboot even all that good in the first place? I think I watched about 10 mins of the first episode, and it was way too shrill and political, I bailed out. The original 90s series was great, at least until season 6 or so. It was charming, the cast had great chemistry, it felt genuine, and the characters had just the right amount of crazy for them to come across as funny and human, vs batshit insane. The reboot (what little I saw of it) seemed like generic cookie-cutter ABC shovelware, with the faces of the old characters painted on.

Veering a little off-topic, but ... I just realized a lot of the old great sitcoms have a sense of timelessness about them, and that's partly because they're focused on their own internal worlds and characters, less focused on petty commentary / squabbles about then-current-day events. Did the names Bush or Clinton ever get mentioned even once on Seinfeld, Married with Children, Frasier, Friends, Fresh Prince, etc? A lot of these shows will still be in reruns on TV or streaming in 20 years. Fat chance Roseanne 2017 will be popular in 20 years. (Not that good shows can't deal with contemporary politics, but it's interesting to think about.)

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Roseanne is one of my favorite shows of all time. Having a show without her just feels hollow.
It would be like doing a Frasier revival without Kelsey Grammer just because he's an alcoholic who likes to wear women's underwear. Who wants to watch Niles and Daphne be the stars of the show? No one. Just like absolutely zero people want a Roseanne show starring Becky and Darlene.

Dthomp

It would be like doing a Frasier revival without Kelsey Grammer just because he's an alcoholic who likes to wear women's underwear. Who wants to watch Niles and Daphne be the stars of the show? No one. Just like absolutely zero people want a Roseanne show starring Becky and Darlene.

I think the overuse of Becky is a major problem with the reboot. I enjoyed the reboot of Roseanne and I don't mind the Connors at all (I am a huge fan of John Goodman). I think the show focused on him and Darlene with getting their lives on track with all the other characters being in the background. I find the Becky character awful, and gets way to much screentime in the new show

Hadn't she been spouting various conspiracy theories about 911 and vaccines for years? I was amazed they even did the show knowing that. And do you really think that this would have been a one time relapse only? Studio smelled the possibility of continuous pr disaster and decided to act now.

oagboghi2

I mean I don't watch sitcoms for political ideals... each character is still very different from each other and just because they aren't arguing politics all the time doesn't make the show any less funny... And if political "muh diversuhtee" is really that important to you, Dan still exists...
No one is watching Roseann for instructions on who to vote formayor or dog catcher. it's about having characters that isn't always 100% predictable.

I don't understand how you can't see the appeal of character that is actually unique compared to the dozens, and dozens of other shows that re use the same template over and over again.

I mean I don't watch sitcoms for political ideals... each character is still very different from each other and just because they aren't arguing politics all the time doesn't make the show any less funny... And if political "muh diversuhtee" is really that important to you, Dan still exists...

After they killed off Roseanne, they made Dan a Trump supporter?

BANGS

Banned
No one is watching Roseann for instructions on who to vote formayor or dog catcher. it's about having characters that isn't always 100% predictable.

I don't understand how you can't see the appeal of character that is actually unique compared to the dozens, and dozens of other shows that re use the same template over and over again.
Most of the supporting cast is pretty unique in sitcom land, Rosey wasn't the only unpredictable character...

After they killed off Roseanne, they made Dan a Trump supporter?
No, Dan has just always been a very conservative character...

Law212

Neo Member
Roseanne shouldnt have been fired for what she said. Shes not racist . unfortunately we live in a knee jerk reaction day and age where companies give in to the angry mobs who run on feelings and not reason and sense.

Top Bottom