• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The curious case of GameStop and College Football

This is the curious case of Gamestop. For context:

I stopped in the other day to trade in some games and get an Xbox Series S for my college aged step son. He is a big Bethesda fan but his roommates and surprisingly him. 2024 is about the return of EA College Football.

I explained to the GameStop rep (late 30’s) and the Territory manager was there as well. (Mid 40’s, I’m guessing).

So…I mentioned to the guys that my son lives out of state for school and will be home for a little bit. He really wants to try Starfield and ultimately buy College Football, Day 1.

The two mentioned Gamestop guys looked at me and said, “College Football is going to be HUGE. But GameStop Employees are not allowed to talk about it at this time!”

What!? You can’t comment on a game? That is strange.

Any insight?

RavageX

it sounds like they probably don’t know anything about it and didn’t want the conversation about it to go further.

Usually District/regional manager types don’t know seem to know anything about the product, just the sales focus. (preowned sales push, pro rewards sales pitch, etc) You ask them about their favorite game they might say it was Super Mario Returns on the Sega Genesis.

Not always the case in sales….but in my experience it is.

RagnarokIV

I stopped in the other day to trade in some games and get an Xbox Series S for my college aged step son. He is a big Bethesda fan but his roommates and surprisingly him. 2024 is about the return of MGS.

I explained to the GameStop rep (late 30’s) and the Territory manager was there as well. (Mid 40’s, I’m guessing).

So…I mentioned to the guys that my son lives out of state for school and will be home for a little bit. He really wants to try Starfield and ultimately buy MGS Delta, Day 1.

The two mentioned Gamestop guys looked at me and said, “MGS Delta is going to be HUGE. But GameStop Employees are not allowed to talk about it at this time!”

They’re just chatting shit mate, they probably do it for all games and haven’t got a clue.

Quasicat

I worked at a GameStop my first few years of teaching as a Senior Game Advisor (kind of like a team leader) and the Store Manager would take these trips in July to Vegas. The trips were fully paid for by the company and there were games that he had to sign an NDA as required by corporate. He would also get a ton of free stuff sent to the store afterwards which he would usually keep for himself. Other stores in the area would raffle the stuff off for the employees. We would ask him what he saw and he would remain tight lipped, but I would sub in another store and they would tell me everything.
It’s possible they saw something last summer, but still can’t talk about it until the formal announcement.

kiphalfton

I worked at a GameStop my first few years of teaching as a Senior Game Advisor (kind of like a team leader) and the Store Manager would take these trips in July to Vegas. The trips were fully paid for by the company and there were games that he had to sign an NDA as required by corporate. He would also get a ton of free stuff sent to the store afterwards which he would usually keep for himself. Other stores in the area would raffle the stuff off for the employees. We would ask him what he saw and he would remain tight lipped, but I would sub in another store and they would tell me everything.
It’s possible they saw something last summer, but still can’t talk about it until the formal announcement.

It's possible (and far more likely) that they're talking out their asses.

Top Bottom