• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Current State of Dedicated Servers

Kade

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-3-how-fan-run-servers-are-ruining-dices-game
9E88998684CAA5F9E15851A5103B7C98A2945EA2

The Modern Warfare 3 DLC packs were on sale on Steam this week with a 50% discount on both, meaning for the price of one non-discounted pack, you can buy all of them that are currently on Steam (two). I figured, "why not? I haven't played in a while and I still like the Call of Duty style of gameplay. The maps in MW3 are fucking atrocious so hopefully these addons remedy the problem".

I bought MW3 at launch and have exclusively played on lobbies because the administrators of most dedicated servers in CoD games are extremely stupid and will ban for anything. Having ignored the feature because of lobbies providing a better experience, I decided to check up on the current state of dedicated servers in MW3. I wanted to get a few rounds of unranked TDM on the new maps before I hopped onto the ranked lobbies and lo and fucking behold, a crazy number of dedicated servers are crouch only, hi-jump or snipers only.

MW3 does not support mods, so all of these rules are enforced by administrators sans hi-jump, which is just a set of changed server settings. Anyone looking to get into a regular unmolested game of MW3 is basically forced to stick to matchmaking, which is hit or miss in terms of latency compared to dedicated servers. With most games, it's fairly easy to find a dedicated server community that you can just add to favourites and call home but this is not the case with MW3 unless you're a fan of the "tactical realism" (admin quote) offered by crouch only servers.

BF3 has its fair share of shitty dedicated servers as well, from 1000 ticket matches that turn into two hour wars of attrition, horrible map rotations (with BF3, I'd say DICE is partially to blame. Most non-B2K maps are terrible) and power tripping admins who'll ban you for firing a weapon. I've heard nothing but horror stories from the console side where everything wrong with the PC version is amplified tenfold.

What was once the best way to play online has become the worst and it's not because of tech or design becoming antiquated. What's shitty is that the filters are too basic to weed out any shitty servers so regardless of how long you spend changing your filters to suit your tastes, you're going to find a shitty servers.

A solution to this would be to take the YouTube approach. YouTube generates a list of videos for you based on your viewing habits as well as the popularity and habits of others. With the recent trend of reply girls and other viewcount whoring channels, YouTube changed how videos are displayed by the amount of time spent on them. Usually, you'll notice the video is shit right away and you'll close the tab. Videos were then grouped together based on how long each viewer spent on that page and sent them to the bottom of the priority list if a high percentage of viewers left the page right away. If developers are not willing to increase the usefulness and breadth of the filter options, this system among other behind-the-scenes systems could be put in place.

Honestly though, I don't know. I just want to beast some cod and frag bads but like most things, human beings are ruining my experience. Then again, it is Call of Duty.

Add to Favourites is there for a reason...
It offers a wide choice, find the game you want. Then again I came into PC gaming through CS so I would say that.

If you are unable to find the servers you want to play? Theres a lack of demand - dedicated wouldn't fix this. Anyone know what the MW1 community is like? Its certainly the best game...might jump back in and have a looksie.

Striek

Thats a problem with MW3s server filtering options, nothing to do with Dedicated Servers. It should be a really, really easy one for them to fix too.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why are you turning an article about BF3 into a topic about MW3? MW3 has a downright shit set up for dedicated servers, this has been apparent since day 1. Like, I don't even get why they included them. It was like the devs spitting in our face.

x3sphere

I don't know about MW3, but I don't like the way DICE handled dedicated servers in BF3. You can't use your own box, you have to rent a server from providers that were given DICE's blessing.

Valve, thankfully, hasn't gone that route. They still provide Linux and Windows flavors of server software and there are no restrictions as to who gets access.

Kade

Why are you turning an article about BF3 into a topic about MW3? MW3 has a downright shit set up for dedicated servers, this has been apparent since day 1. Like, I don't even get why they included them. It was like the devs spitting in our face.

I just added the article to support my thoughts on the issue and to speak for the console versions, which I don't play. I discuss BF3 a bit in the post but it's basically the same sentiments as the article, I'd say. Sorry for any confusion.

Enkidu

I very rarely encounter anything like what's described in the article despite the fact that almost every server on the PC version of BF3 is also player run. Any idea why it seems to work well on PC but turns into tyranny on the consoles?

I've never had big issues like this. Plenty of choice on CSS, BF3, TF2 etc. If you enter a bad server, theres thousands more to replace it.

The only game that has annoyed me was COD4. Purchased it three years ago to find an utter mess. Most of the busy servers had extended player counts which ruined everything, since the maps were designed for 16 players or something? It was just a nade spam fest.
The ones with normal player counts were either full, or empty.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hell I encounter this same stuff on Xbox 360. I wanted to go back to MW1 and relive my days of nostalgia, but all I got was servers where you jump super high and everyone has unlimited noob tubes. The worst part is that there is no "server selection" screen, you just have to quit out and requeue and hope that it doesn't drop you in a shitty game.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Never had any issues playing on Black Ops dedicated servers. I just don't think IW cared at all. Hopefully Blops 2 will be dedicated only like the first.

Kade

Never had any issues playing on Black Ops dedicated servers. I just don't think IW cared at all. Hopefully Blops 2 will be dedicated only like the first.

Hopefully they keep them ranked instead of IW's shitty system that promotes ridiculous gameplay variants.

kodt

Banned
This issue has plagued Counter-Strike for years now and is one of the biggest reasons I want Global Offensive to take off. We need matchmaking with good vanilla servers.

I would say prior to 2004 it was pretty easy to find quality CS servers. Low ping, no crazy server mods, no restrictions, no nazi admins. The only server mods would maybe be stat tracking. Yes hackers were always an issue, but many good servers did a good job of kicking and banning them.

You could find players in almost any map, even maps like Storm, 747, Backalley, Torn, Tundra, Oilrig etc.. Some of those maps were very popular when they were new, but fell out of favor, they were still played though and you could have a good time.

Of course 24/7 Dust, Dust 2, Office, Aztec servers were always around, but there were other choices. Eventually this changed, over time more and more servers ran WC3 mod, Zombie mod, Deathmatch, or just had grappling hooks and stuff. AWPs were restricted or banned, maps were limited to 3-4 most popular. And then server redirects (you join a server but it actually redirects you to a different one).

Now trying to find a clean server is a huge pain, and nearly impossible. You have to use the favorites list once you find one decent. Finding a server playing a less popular map these days? They just don't exist. Finding a vanilla server with no mods? They are nearly non-existent.

Global Offensive Beta was a breath of fresh air b/c finally we could play the full map rotation, on vanilla servers, and play the game it was meant to be played.

kpeezy

Banned
This issue has plagued Counter-Strike for years now and is one of the biggest reasons I want Global Offensive to take off. We need matchmaking with good vanilla servers.

I would say prior to 2004 it was pretty easy to find quality CS servers. Low ping, no crazy server mods, no restrictions, no nazi admins. The only server mods would maybe be stat tracking. Yes hackers were always an issue, but many good servers did a good job of kicking and banning them.

You could find players in almost any map, even maps like Storm, 747, Backalley, Torn, Tundra, Oilrig etc.. Some of those maps were very popular when they were new, but fell out of favor, they were still played though and you could have a good time.

Of course 24/7 Dust, Dust 2, Office, Aztec servers were always around, but there were other choices. Eventually this changed, over time more and more servers ran WC3 mod, Zombie mod, Deathmatch, or just had grappling hooks and stuff. AWPs were restricted or banned, maps were limited to 3-4 most popular. And then server redirects (you join a server but it actually redirects you to a different one).

Now trying to find a clean server is a huge pain, and nearly impossible. You have to use the favorites list once you find one decent. Finding a server playing a less popular map these days? They just don't exist. Finding a vanilla server with no mods? They are nearly non-existent.

Global Offensive Beta was a breath of fresh air b/c finally we could play the full map rotation, on vanilla servers, and play the game it was meant to be played.

I want to play goooooo. I've been playing 1.6 to get better at shooting heads, but I really want to see cs:go's matchmaking system, team system, custom games, etc. I hope it's good.

This is nice and all but there is really only one map you ever need for CS, and that is Office. The perfect map.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
RE: CS, i had the same problem finding vanilla servers. Post em up if you know of any good ones.

AEREC

I was thinking about picking up these MW3 DLC's on PC...but then I remembered that when I bought them in MW2 my join time for games went from around 10-20 seconds to about 5 minutes because no one had the DLC or was on a playlist that used them.

Is this DLC the same?

Kade

I was thinking about picking up these MW3 DLC's on PC...but then I remembered that when I bought them in MW2 my join time for games went from around 10-20 seconds to about 5 minutes because no one had the DLC or was on a playlist that used them.

Is this DLC the same?

I've had no problems as of yet but give it a week or two.

Top Bottom