• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Game is coming...

I will keep my hopes up. After all, there have been some good licensed games in the past (Spiderman 2 comes to mind). And I agree it is a good sign they did not rush this game out the door to meet the release of the film.

There have been good Batman games in the past:

-Batman (Genesis)
-Batman Returns (SuperNES)
-Adventures of Batman & Robin (SuperNES)

I think the first good choice they made with this game is not being bound to the movie release date and having more time to work on it. That alone makes me think it has more potential than the average comic/movie game.

Personally I think the best route to go is to have it set between Batman Begins/TDK similar to how Gotham Knights is, but again keep it non-canon and have a mixed style that is between the Nolan universe and the comics. Gameplay should be like a tweaked Assassin's Creed, just with better combat that has more emphasis on disarming and taking down foes. The actual design of the Batsuit shouldn't be based around either used in the films, and even the Tumbler or other vehicle should be chagned around. Make it very "what if" and do all the crazy things that Nolan wouldn't do in the movies. Have Mr. Freeze and Clayface as main villains here, just stay away from Joker and those featured in the movies. It would also be cool to go around town and see "I believe in Harvey Dent' posters and the like.

I think a Batman game could turn out good if done right. And as for voice acting, I guess Gary Oldman already said that he did voice, but if it takes place between then it is no problem. I just hope it isn't crap like the Begins game was.

Eidos Batman game? I'm not sure what that is about.

Batman is being handled by various developers now. We have Midway putting him in MK vs DC. Lego Batman. And now this.

Judging by the costume, it looks like a mix between comics and the movie. The gloves are from the movie.

Sean

Banned
Pic of the cover from GI thread:

nn5yme.jpg

Would be cool if the game actually looked like that.

duckroll

dragonlife29 said:
The glove outweighs the costume? I mean, look at it! It's his comic book costume o_O

The title Arkham Asylum definitely indicates that it's based more on the comics than the movie. But I'm sure it'll draw on the same elements from the comics that the Nolan movies did, indicating a more serious and grittier Batman game.

NEED INFOZ!!!!! :(

The gloves are at least one thing to go on. It could be like Gotham Knight where it is a different style, but still in a similar universe.

Kittonwy

Banned
FoneBone said:
Eidos has the rights to the comic book Batman, so I don't think this is Pandemic's game. I wish that someone would give a straight answer about that, though.

If they get Crystal on it, it would make some sense since the Soul Reaver team (whoever that is left) would have *some* experience with flying with a cape since Raziel can use his torn wings to glide a bit and that gliding mechanics would translate well, but then they're working on Tomb Raider. Otherwise I'm not sure there are really any team working at a third-party publisher who can do a good batman game.
batman.gif

Kittonwy said:
If they get Crystal on it, it would make some sense since the Soul Reaver team (whoever that is left) would have *some* experience with flying with a cape since Raziel can use his torn wings to glide a bit and that gliding mechanics would translate well, but then they're working on Tomb Raider. Otherwise I'm not sure there are really any team working at a third-party publisher who can do a good batman game.
batman.gif

CD did the newer Tomb Raider games which have two Batman aspects down right. Grapple hook and realistic platforming.

JSR

Kotaku claims to have the first details on the game, courtesy of an anonymous source (go figure). They say it's a GTA-style free-roaming game that is set after The Dark Knight. It sounds like the game has some combat problems, but considering it hasn't even been announced yet, I'm hoping everything gets ironed out.

DMczaf

JSR said:
Kotaku claims to have the first details on the game, courtesy of an anonymous source (go figure). They say it's a GTA-style free-roaming game that is set after The Dark Knight. It sounds like the game has some combat problems, but considering it hasn't even been announced yet, I'm hoping everything gets ironed out.

At least they realized the combat was shit before releasing it. Nearly every superhero GTA type game has some of the worse combat I've ever seen

Spider-Man and Superman punch and kick like Rag Doll Kung-Fu

JSR said:

I wonder if this will match up with whatever the gameinformer story is about.

Furret

Banned
brendanrfoley said:
I will keep my hopes up. After all, there have been some good licensed games in the past (Spiderman 2 comes to mind). And I agree it is a good sign they did not rush this game out the door to meet the release of the film.

There have been good Batman games in the past:

-Batman (Genesis)
-Batman Returns (SuperNES)
-Adventures of Batman & Robin (SuperNES)

These might be good games, but they're not good Batman games.

The characters could've been anyone and it would've made no difference.

Sean

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
So Pandemic is working on this and Saboteur?

They're working on six games - Saboteur, LOTR: Conquest, Batman game, and 3 untitled projects.

Competing with Gearbox for most games announced while never actually releasing shit. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sean said:
They're working on six games - Saboteur, LOTR: Conquest, Batman game, and 3 untitled projects.

Competing with Gearbox for most games announced while never actually releasing shit. :lol

Not to mention that they basically just finished Mercs 2.

Linkzg said:
They did. It was Batman Begins The Game. It sucked.

ahh, I see.

I still think a game like that has a higher chance of success than another open-world crappy super-hero game......

Or even make it a normal 3rd person action adventure like Uncharted! :)

EDIT: Just checked Meta-Critic, the Batman Begins game got a 6.8, which is actually pretty good for a licensed game...

Flavius

H.Cornerstone said:
ahh, I see.

I still think a game like that has a higher chance of success than another open-world crappy super-hero game......

Why does it have to be crappy?

I could see an open world Batman game along the lines of Crackdown eating up a rather large chunk of my gaming time.

Ramenman

Flavius said:
Why does it have to be crappy?

I could see an open world Batman game along the lines of Crackdown eating up a rather large chunk of my gaming time.

I was excited too at the idea of free roaming through Gotham when I first thought of it, but if someone asks me how they would deal with the relative repetitiveness of those kind of games, or get the combat system right, I really have no idea at all to make this game good.

Good thing I don't work at Pandemic I guess :p

Ephemeris

Linkzg said:
They did. It was Batman Begins The Game. It sucked.

I enjoyed the driving segments. :p

Flavius said:

Ramenman said:
I was excited too at the idea of free roaming through Gotham when I first thought of it, but if someone asks me how they would deal with the relative repetitiveness of those kind of games, or get the combat system right, I really have no idea at all to make this game good.

Good thing I don't work at Pandemic I guess :p

Agreed. Though in a free-roaming Gotham I'd love to see good swinging mechanics in addition to optional use of vehicles (car/bike/plane). O__o

DrBo42

From GI's site:

Game Informer subscribers are in for a real treat this month. We’re proud to bring you the world-exclusive first look at Batman: Arkham Asylum from Rocksteady Studios and Eidos. This completely original title explores Gotham City’s darkest location, the infamous Arkham Asylum. But as a routine prison transfer goes wrong, the Joker sets his demented plan into action and Batman comes face to face with an army of his worst enemies. In a dark and gritty setting reminiscent of Bioshock (with a story co-written by Paul Dini), Arkham Asylum is setting the stage for a true-to-character Batman game.

Yeah..as soon as I read Eidos and "face to face with an army of his worst enemies" I started to cringe. Hope = 0

Edit: Rocksteady is allegedly known for this game
256px-UrbanChaosRiotResponse_ps2.jpg

Upon further investigation this choice kinda makes sense. Check out the review here http://xbox.ign.com/articles/712/712336p1.html

I see some tazer use and evidence collection.

Top Bottom