• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) - No Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.

suaveric

Meus Renaissance said:
Dark Knight Rises sound like a college made film costing $400, trying to draw in the hipster crowd with the title.

In all seriousness, the imagery doesn't work there. Rise? He didn't "fall", and there isn't anything upcoming about the character to suggest a revitalisation. I don't the title should be similar to its predecessor. Anything with the 'Dark Knight' would have been terrible by default. "Rising" is just :lol

Well, he did "fall" in the public's eyes. But I would have preferred Redemption instead of Rising, if that's the angle they're going for.

Anyway, Batman on Film is reporting that DKR will be shooting in New Orleans, but mostly just interior work. The tax breaks are just too great to pass up. So that means the work in Chicago will be scaled back to just exteriors, as it was done in Begins.

Solo

brianjones said:
oh gawd, how AWFUL

wont somebody please think of the messageboards

Im sorry, but for all the fellating many Gaffers give Nolan for being given free reign by WB to make his movies, this feels decidedly like a studio call.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Meus Renaissance said:
Dark Knight Rises sound like a college made film costing $400, trying to draw in the hipster crowd with the title.

In all seriousness, the imagery doesn't work there. Rise? He didn't "fall", and there isn't anything upcoming about the character to suggest a revitalisation. I don't the title should be similar to its predecessor. Anything with the 'Dark Knight' would have been terrible by default. "Rising" is just :lol

Ummmm the Last film ended with Batman taking the fall for Dents murder and being hunted by police.

Solo said:
The worst part of this title is how thinly vieled the attempt to cash in on TDK is. BB and TDK are sequels but they have distinctly different titles, like Batman 3 should have had. But TDK makes $500M, so WB decides Batman 3 needs to also have The Dark Knight in its title.
Nolan had better let another one of his actors 'accidentally' overdose if he wants to see a TDK-level gross again.

edit: before anyone freaks out, I'm kidding, gawsh

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Solo said:
The worst part of this title is how thinly vieled the attempt to cash in on TDK is. BB and TDK are sequels but they have distinctly different titles, like Batman 3 should have had. But TDK makes $500M, so WB decides Batman 3 needs to also have The Dark Knight in its title.

Indeed. I cannot wait for DM to endure his Spider-Man 3 :lol
Oh Solo Solo Solo

The games have begun.

Solo

badcrumble said:
Nolan had better let another one of his actors 'accidentally' overdose if he wants to see a TDK-level gross again.

Word on the street is he got Tom Hardy into smoking rocks on the set of Inception. The seeds have been planted.

Evlar

Banned
Title's not too bad, as demonstrated by every other suggestion in this thread being worse. Rather than talk about whether or not it sucks I'd rather indulge in baseless speculation about what it means for the plot.

Bruce Wayne has an erection? Lucius cooks up a Batwing from some defunct black-ops project? Batman is buried alive and returns from the grave, R'as-style?

No one is trashing the film. But the title is extremely generic. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were two titles that fit together very well and were different from one another. This didn't need "The Dark Knight" in the title to sell-- the fact that it's a follow up to TDK is plenty.

As long as people know it's "the next Batman" which they obviously would (I'd hope), that should be enough. Who honestly thinks someone would skip it, if they originally had the intention of watching the next one, just because "The Dark Knight" isn't in the title?

_dementia said:

sure, darling :D

MjFrancis

Really indifferent to the revealed title, but I still look forward to the movie. I should be ignoring all hype so I can be pleasantly surprised come release day, but I can't help scavenging every insignificant piece of information on this before before it arrives.

Penguin

Solo said:
The Caped Crusader or one of a million other Batman titles

See, I would avoid naming it that. I like the Caped Crusader title, but what they gonna have Gordon explain that at the end. "No he's not just a man, he isn't even just the Dark Knight, he is a mysterious man who fights the good fight. He fights when no one else can or will. He is a crusader.. with a cape... he is The Caped Crusader"

Sotha Sil

brandonh83 said:
No one is trashing the film. But the title is extremely generic. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were two titles that fit together very well and were different from one another. This didn't need "The Dark Knight" in the title to sell-- the fact that it's a follow up to TDK is plenty.

Yep. Even "Batman Rising" or "Batman Rises" would have been better than this mess.

Still, hype <3

Solo

Penguin said:
See, I would avoid naming it that. I like the Caped Crusader title, but what they gonna have Gordon explain that at the end. "No he's not just a man, he isn't even just the Dark Knight, he is a mysterious man who fights the good fight. He fights when no one else can or will. He is a crusader.. with a cape... he is The Caped Crusader"

:lol Nolan would have officially jumped the shark if he did that

Zzoram

I understand why it has this title (to keep brand recognition) but it's a lousy title.

Batman Begins -> The Dark Knight -> The Dark Knight Rises?

It should've been more different.

NekoFever

With Rachel dead there are essentially no female characters in it, so I'd bet money on either Catwoman or Harley Quinn being the villain(s). I'd be interested to see what they do with Catwoman, and she's pretty grounded in reality anyway.

Not too hot on the title, but I can remember the fan outrage when Ledger was cast as well :lol

Also good news on the 3D thing.

WedgeX

Banned
Would've preferred the title be something invoking the detective comics name, but oh well. In Nolan we trust.

And with the Riddler out, that makes my Black Mask prediction all the more realistic.

Ohhhh and what about Hugo Strange?

Solo said:
Im sorry, but for all the fellating many Gaffers give Nolan for being given free reign by WB to make his movies, this feels decidedly like a studio call.

It will be very interesting to see if Cameron uses AVATAR in the title of his sequel.

:lol at people complaining about the title and then giving some of the most absurdly bad suggestions. "shadow of the bat"? Sounds like a campy Bela Legosi movie from the 50s. "the Caped Crusader"? :lol :lol :lol

Let's be real you would have complained no matter what the title was. That's what people on the Internet do, especially with anything comic book or movie related.

raphier

Banned
Zzoram said:
I understand why it has this title (to keep brand recognition) but it's a lousy title.

Batman Begins -> The Dark Knight -> The Dark Knight Rises?

It should've been more different.
I really think the title should begin with Batman now.

Ninja Scooter said:
Let's be real you would have complained no matter what the title was. That's what people on the Internet do, especially with anything comic book or movie related.

eh, I don't think so. IIRC people loved The Dark Knight title. I know I did.

brandonh83 said:
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Breaking Dawn

see was that so hard?

250px-Breaking_Dawn_cover.jpg

Zabka

Great name! That puts the movie up there with Hannibal Rising, GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Rise: Blood Hunter, Valhalla Rising, The Seeker: The Dark is Rising and about a hundred other movies not worth mentioning.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Time for future DVD/blu descriptions on the back cover:

"Batman becomes fully engorged in the threat to Gotham City."

I'm not surprised they aren't using the Riddler. They already did the whole dangerous scenarios/murders thing really well with the Joker in TDK. If they were to have the Riddler as a detective hunting down Batman that would work, but again they've already done the whole fall from grace thing with Two-Face.

Bane would work really well as a Ra's/Joker style supervillian trying to usurp Batman's 'rule' over Gotham.

Black Mask and the Penguin would work well as replacements for the traditonal gangster characters and would fit in with the escalation theme. Even your standard greedy criminal is getting a bit edgier and crazier.

Harley Quinn would be awesome as a crazy Joker impersonating serial killer and would be a nice parallel to the Batman impersonating vigilantes at the start of the Dark Knight. It could highlight how the Joker's madness is 'infecting' people from behind bars in the same way that Batman is inspiring people.

It would be nice to see Scarecrow come back totally insane. Maybe Bane breaks him out of Arkham to have him work on improving his venom or something.

Ninja Scooter said:
Dark Knight Returns is already an established title of a very specific, very well known Batman story. They aren't gonna use that.
forgot about that, and i even read it :lol
it had the female robin, right?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
suaveric said:
Well, he did "fall" in the public's eyes. But I would have preferred Redemption instead of Rising, if that's the angle they're going for.

i'd be pretty bummed if the dark knight truly was the second act tragedy. i feel like there's alot darker (heh) places for the character to go before a rousing chorus of redemption to fully have its potential gravitas.

for main antagonist? i'd like to see victor zsasz. his themes, motivation and character all seem like a great fit for the nolanverse. even if like bane and the riddler, some of his best elements got rolled into the joker.

Solo

jett said:
I see several being serious about the "Caped Crusader". I have to say, I lol'd.

And yet you creamed your pants to "The Dark Knight" which is basically the same title :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom