• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Credo

How long does it usually take for upcoming movies to go up for preorder on Disney Movie Club? I've only been a member for a couple of months, so I don't have any experience with it really.

Just recently got the hunchback of notre dame on blu-ray through disney movie rewards.

the movie looks fantastic and I'm glad I used my points on it, but I'm really bummed out by the lack of special features on there. there were only 3 things, and they were all left over from the dvd version. i was surprised since all my other disney blu-rays have a good amount of bonus features.

oh well, at least i got the slip cover with it and the cover looks good for the most part.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just recently got the hunchback of notre dame on blu-ray through disney movie rewards.

the movie looks fantastic and I'm glad I used my points on it, but I'm really bummed out by the lack of special features on there. there were only 3 things, and they were all left over from the dvd version. i was surprised since all my other disney blu-rays have a good amount of bonus features.

oh well, at least i got the slip cover with it and the cover looks good for the most part.

one special feature is that you can watch and laugh at how bad hunchback 2 is!

Using the code [30058]

I ordered

Jungle Book 2
Little Mermaid 2/3
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Delivery Service
Tales from the Earthsea

for a grand total of $21.95. All are blu-ray!!! Such a crazy deal.

Once Spirited Away and The Cat Returns comes out; I'll need to buy those for $29.95 each, then I can cancel my membership. Little over $80 for all these movies is a crazy good deal.

codhand

Using the code [30058]

I ordered

Jungle Book 2
Little Mermaid 2/3
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Delivery Service
Tales from the Earthsea

for a grand total of $21.95. All are blu-ray!!! Such a crazy deal.

Once Spirited Away and The Cat Returns comes out; I'll need to buy those for $29.95 each, then I can cancel my membership. Little over $80 for all these movies is a crazy good deal.

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/weba...=10001&catalogId=10051&acquisitionBluRay=true

links are fun

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Picked Jungle Book & Hercules blu-rays up on a whim while I was out shopping. Haven't been really collecting much of the blu rays sans the really important to me ones, but holy shit is Jungle Book incredible. Incredible looking, incredible box, incredible special features. Might be the best blu-ray I own now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
While the thread is bumped, the notoriously unreliable Disney Wiki has been updated with a user claiming that Black Cauldron and other films will be DMC exclusives in the fall. Either they will or they won't, I guess. I'm just hoping the remainder of the films release physically at all. Disney as a company is obviously rapidly transitioning to digital.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I also overspent compared to what I would have paid on Amazon. Oh well.
While the thread is bumped, the notoriously unreliable Disney Wiki has been updated with a user claiming that Black Cauldron and other films will be DMC exclusives in the fall. Either they will or they won't, I guess. I'm just hoping the remainder of the films release physically at all. Disney as a company is obviously rapidly transitioning to digital.
I guess for more niche stuff, but they're also arguably the most dominant company when it comes to shelf space.

Fox Mulder

I'd take DMC exclusives over nothing.

Digital sucks with premium pricing and lower quality than bluray. Disney just released Star Wars digitally for the first time ever at $20 each. Yay.

overcast

Have about a year left and I still need to fulfill my 2 full priced movies commitment for the disney movie club.

I can just choose Spirited Away off the site on June 16th for example, right?

I guess that would be better than nothing. I'm curious about this movie. It's one of the few in the Disney cannon that I haven't seen.

Fox Mulder

was out and found pinocchio and snow white for $50 total. Snow white is in the stupid dvd case, but whatever.

So glad I got these, as I've got all the US vaulted titles now on bluray. Had to import a bunch from the UK, but it's the same to me.

Soulfire

I don't know if its already been mentioned, but Disney Movie Club is showing the option to pre-order Aladdin. I don't see an official release date just a coming soon.

*Edit* Wow I somehow missed the post right above this. Sorry about that

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
0i7o35T.jpg

August 18; 90 minutes of footage including Paperman and Lorenzo (was intended to be a part of Fantasia 3, has never been released before now for home ownership).

jett

D-Member
Lately I've been unable to un-notice that even Sleeping Beauty uses copious amounts of DNR.

10680_1_1080p.jpg

Sons, I am disappoint. :(

Fox Mulder

Lately I've been unable to un-notice that even Sleeping Beauty uses copious amounts of DNR.

10680_1_1080p.jpg

That's Disney.

They just don't seem to give much of a shit about their own history anymore and DNR is popular with morons.

There was a promotion at HMV (downtown Montreal) today on a lot of blu-rays. Every title that are usually listed as "2 for $25" were now "2 for $20".

Among other non-Disney stuff, I got Atlantis, Dumbo, The Emperor's New Groove, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, Oliver and Company, Lilo & Stitch, Rescuers and The Great Mouse Detective for 10 bucks each.

Some of those I have never seen... I'm too embarrassed to say which ones.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I know it's early, but any word if Disney is going to do some type of 3 pack with Aladdin and its sequels?

No word. They are not releasing Aladdin with the sequels, but it's highly likely they would release Aladdin stand-alone and then the sequels together (as they did, for instance, with The Little Mermaid and Cinderella, two other titles that had two sequels)

Gameboy415

0i7o35T.jpg

August 18; 90 minutes of footage including Paperman and Lorenzo (was intended to be a part of Fantasia 3, has never been released before now for home ownership).

I'm definitely going to pick up this collection but I'm a bit miffed that they're not in 3D (just like every other US Disney release these days, blah). Paperman was amazing in 3D!

No word. They are not releasing Aladdin with the sequels, but it's highly likely they would release Aladdin stand-alone and then the sequels together (as they did, for instance, with The Little Mermaid and Cinderella, two other titles that had two sequels)

Here's hoping they do bundle the sequels, but remember that The Lion King's sequels got stand-alone releases so Disney might try to milk us again.

Speaking of Aladdin, the US box art is up on Amazon:

51S3xvwWyWL.jpg

I like the composition of the image but the characters' faces look a little off to me..

DJ_Lae

Speaking of Aladdin, the US box art is up on Amazon:

51S3xvwWyWL.jpg

I like the composition of the image but the characters' faces look a little off to me..

They do look kind of weird, especially their expressions.

Nowhere near as bad as the cover of Anastasia, though. And I'll take whatever I get just so I can have Aladdin at all.

B.K.

0i7o35T.jpg

Did Disney ever release the Glago's Guest short anywhere? I saw it at SIGGRAPH 2008 and it was apparently dropped from whatever movie it was supposed to be attached to. It was an interesting short.

Just got Oliver and Company in the mail. Does it really not have a sleeve?

I just got the little mermaid off amazon and no sleeve either. One of these days I might call to replace my missing slip covers but I hate to pay out of pocket for them, even though it's not too much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you want slip-covers, buy stuff near release. I'd say about 50% of what I buy more than a year after release doesn't have them. With respect to Oliver and Company, I bought it last summer and it didn't have a slipcover then.

10680_1_1080p.jpg

Probably a dumb question, but how do you notice DNR? What do you look for, and what's an example of a Disney re-release that didn't have DNR applied to it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Probably a dumb question, but how do you notice DNR? What do you look for, and what's an example of a Disney re-release that didn't have DNR applied to it?

In live action, it's very easy to notice, because there's no film grain and no pores. In animation, the lines will seem less crisp and more blurry. If you can't see it on your own, there's no reason to train yourself to be less happy with your blu-rays, but if you can see it, it can be pretty annoying. For that Sleeping Beauty picture, blow it up and look at how blurry all the thin lines are and how there's no texture on any of the shading.

Nemesis_

The last bluray I bought was March 4th 2015. I think it was 101 Dalmations.

I am afraid I've missed some Disney blurays, especially with their slipcases, does anyone have a list? The OP doesn't seem to have been updated

If you want slip-covers, buy stuff near release. I'd say about 50% of what I buy more than a year after release doesn't have them. With respect to Oliver and Company, I bought it last summer and it didn't have a slipcover then.

I think this is true for all minor releases no? Robin hood was the same when I bought at release last year.

jett

D-Member

SB is a mild case by Disnye's standards, but look at the blurry, smeared, undefined outlines of the characters.

hSrcOs2.jpg

DNR destroys that kind of fine detail.

The Lion King in comparison looks crisp.

KU7ZoAB.jpg

Thank Jebus TLK went through an exhaustive remastering/reassembly process for its 3D conversion.

omgkitty

Well The Lion King wouldn't have had grain like the older films would have, which is why the more recent Disney films look great. There's this group of people who see grain and freak out and think it looks bad or old or whatever, so some companies go out of their way to destroy a picture to remove it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The last bluray I bought was March 4th 2015. I think it was 101 Dalmations.

I am afraid I've missed some Disney blurays, especially with their slipcases, does anyone have a list? The OP doesn't seem to have been updated

We're heading down to the final stretch. You haven't missed anything except Patch's London Adventure. The only known major thing for the rest of the year is Aladdin and they haven't said how they're handling the sequels releases.

SB is a mild case by Disnye's standards, but look at the blurry, smeared, undefined outlines of the characters.

hSrcOs2.jpg

DNR destroys that kind of fine detail.

The Lion King in comparison looks crisp.

KU7ZoAB.jpg

Thank Jebus TLK went through an exhaustive remastering/reassembly process for its 3D conversion.
The Lion King was digitally animated. I thought something was off about Sleeping Beauty when I watched it a while back.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think this is true for all minor releases no? Robin hood was the same when I bought at release last year.

I don't have a Robin Hood slipcover, but one does exist.

Why do you feel the OP isn't updated? It's a complete list of the main animated canon (not including sequels, spinoffs, or other random movies); the only update it needs is switching Aladdin's tentative date to its confirmed date, but I wasn't going to bother. One of the reasons why I didn't include sequels/spinoffs was lack of demand, but the other reason was because other than the DTV sequels to movies that are part of the vault cycle, nothing else goes in the vault. You can still get all of Pixar's movies, all of POTC, all of Marvel, all of DisneyNature, all the Pooh spinoffs, etc.

The main canon movies subject to the vault are:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - VAULTED
Pinocchio - VAULTED
Fantasia - VAULTED (released as a double-pack with Fantasia 2000)
Dumbo - Available
Bambi - VAULTED
Cinderella - Available
Alice in Wonderland - Available
Peter Pan - VAULTED
Lady and the Tramp - VAULTED
Sleeping Beauty - Available
One Hundred and One Dalmatians - Available
The Jungle Book - Available
The Little Mermaid - Available
Beauty and the Beast - VAULTED
Aladdin - No Blu-Ray Release, releasing this October
The Lion King - VAULTED
(all of this is noted in the OP)

The sequels and spinoffs that are currently vaulted but that did at one point have a Blu-Ray release:
Bambi II
Return to Never Land
Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride
The Lion King 1½

Sequels/spinoffs that are not currently vaulted but might be at some point:
Cinderella II: Dreams Come True + Cinderella III: A Twist in Time
101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure
The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea + The Little Mermaid III: Ariel's Beginnings

I think OP is excellent. It's the most helpful spot on the internet for checking availability IMO.

I just wish I'd started my Disney BD collection earlier. Would've loved to have picked up some of the vaulted titles.

Sometimes I put on my Lion King blu-ray for like ten minutes just to stare in disbelief how utterly, stupidly gorgeous it all is. Like its one of those 10/10 demo material kinda discs.

Speaking of which, uh, this Spirited Away blu-ray tho? This Spirited Away blu-ray tho. Sure took its sweet time come to America, but the transfer is perfect, man.

Chuck

Still without luck
So now I've been in the DMC for a couple months I was wondering

Who else has a bunch of movies they didn't want but we're too lazy to both decline or return? >_>

Top Bottom