• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 3 announced

lingpanda

Division 2 definitely plays better, but mechanically there are a few issues I have with it. Several stats are completely pointless on weaponry such as weapon handling. Most weapons have minuscule recoil which means you can mostly fire with impunity. This also renders certain talents pointless.

I would also like it if exotics had one additional random talent on them, or at least allow for them to drop with varied stats instead of them being set in stone. This would make them more inline with the other loot in the game, where you are constantly searching for the ideal version of gear. An example would be say, the Vile mask. You always get it with status effect and haz pro. Imagine if you could potentially get any other stats. Exotic drops in their current state are static and mostly a one-and-done affair.

On visuals, my hope with Division 3 is for them to do a true seasonal approach. What I mean is, they could literally rotate seasons in-game. Red Dead Online has all areas have snow during the holiday season which is pretty cool. Instead of being tied to calendar, they could make the seasons shift on a faster interval. I like both the summer and winter aesthetics for different reasons.
Weapon handling I'll say is probably the most useless or at very least underutilized stat. I never use it due to there just being better alternative attributes to use.

As far as certain attributes always dropping with exotics is due to limitations with the code. You may recall the picaro holster was supposed to allow you to reroll the main attribute to something else. The team eventually came out and said it's not possible without rewriting a significant portion of the code. It appears Massive knows it would be better to have different attributes on gear but it just isn't going to happen so late in its life cycle.

Dynamic weather would be great but I will tell you I loathe the sandstorm weather in Division 2. I'm sure its not really a sandstorm but not sure what weather effect they are aiming for.

My biggest gripe with Division 2 I hope they drop in 3 is global events and the many different game modes. IMO it fragments the community and makes matchmaking difficult so late in a games life cycle. I'm all for options but not to the extent we have in 2.

Last edited:
Weapon handling I'll say is probably the most useless or at very least underutilized stat. I never use it due to there just being better alternative attributes to use.

As far as certain attributes always dropping with exotics is due to limitations with the code. You may recall the picaro holster was supposed to allow you to reroll the main attribute to something else. The team eventually came out and said it's not possible without rewriting a significant portion of the code. It appears Massive knows it would be better to have different attributes on gear but it just isn't going to happen so late in its life cycle.

Dynamic weather would be great but I will tell you I loathe the sandstorm weather in Division 2. I'm sure its not really a sandstorm but not sure what weather effect they are aiming for.

My biggest gripe with Division 2 I hope they drop in 3 is global events and the many different game modes. IMO it fragments the community and makes matchmaking difficult so late in a games life cycle. I'm all for options but not to the extent we have in 2.

Weapon handling is useless? What?! Have to disagree here.

Try hitting an enemy from halfway across the map with the Kingbreaker, RPK or any of the heavy LMG's. Then throw weapon handling rolls on your gear pieces and tell me how they perform.
Most weapons become a laser beam with weapon handling rolled onto the gear pieces. Faster reloads, target reacquisition, accuracy, stability.
How is that a bad thing?

Last edited:

lingpanda

Weapon handling is useless? What?! Have to disagree here.

Try hitting an enemy from halfway across the map with the Kingbreaker, RPK or any of the heavy LMG's. Then throw weapon handling rolls on your gear pieces and tell me how they perform.
Most weapons become a laser beam with weapon handling rolled onto the gear pieces. Faster reloads, target reacquisition, accuracy, stability.
How is that a bad thing?
I'll preface my views and comments with the fact that I only play legendary content and on console. Skill damage, head shot damage, and weapon damage are just too good to use an attribute like weapon handling. It has it use which you pointed out but its far inferior to the others I mentioned. This coming from an LMG main in Div 1.

unlurkified

Skipped 1 but finally started playing through 2 on Series X a few months ago. It’s pretty fun. I keep hearing though that 1 was better and can’t decide if I should just drop 2 and go back to 1. What do peeps think? Is it just the setting, or are other aspects better as well?

Also, Massive is one of my favorite shooter studios now after playing. Can’t wait for Avatar and SWO now cuz I know the gunplay’s going to be great.

Hudo

Can I just ask how big and how many teams Ubisoft Massive have? They're working on a Star Wars game, that Avatar game and The Division 3. They're like the new Ubisoft Monreal.

Shubh_C63

Back to a cold bleak snowy NYC please.
Maybe Nuclear Winter.

Can I just ask how big and how many teams Ubisoft Massive have? They're working on a Star Wars game, that Avatar game and The Division 3. They're like the new Ubisoft Monreal.
I bet Ubi recognised MASSIVE is the only developer that actually means quality to their fanbase and create new teams under the same umbrella for namesake only

Last edited:

whyman

I had totally missed this. The Division 2 was amazing but suffered from rushed launch and poor balancing. But they made it work. I’m all in when this releases early 2026!

lingpanda

Skipped 1 but finally started playing through 2 on Series X a few months ago. It’s pretty fun. I keep hearing though that 1 was better and can’t decide if I should just drop 2 and go back to 1. What do peeps think? Is it just the setting, or are other aspects better as well?

Also, Massive is one of my favorite shooter studios now after playing. Can’t wait for Avatar and SWO now cuz I know the gunplay’s going to be great.
Keep playing 2. If you have the time certainly dabble into 1.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I had totally missed this. The Division 2 was amazing but suffered from rushed launch and poor balancing. But they made it work. I’m all in when this releases early 2026!
I agree. I actually had fun with this playing in co op.

I'll preface my views and comments with the fact that I only play legendary content and on console. Skill damage, head shot damage, and weapon damage are just too good to use an attribute like weapon handling. It has it use which you pointed out but its far inferior to the others I mentioned. This coming from an LMG main in Div 1.
Yes I've played Division 2 on 3 platforms (PS4, Xbox Series S and now PC). I'm left off on PS4 on SHD level 3400 (after i killed my PS4 trying to clean the insides), SHD 1300 on my Xbox account and now SHD 3100 on PC. I've got quite a few years under my belt playing this game and I only play Legendary DUA, Capitol and Roosevelt daily with the odd tidal basin and manning legendary here and there. It's become like a second job.

Certain weapons benefit alot from various weapon handling mods like (stability, accuracy etc) or weapon handling rolled onto the gear pieces. As I said before the Kingbreaker is dramatically improved by simply rolling on 1 stability mod on the weapon itself. Without it, the accuracy and recoil of that thing is all over the place from medium to long range. With a stability mod its a joy to use which goes to show that various weapon handling characteristics including weapon handling gear rolls is not useless. What's the use of you're hitting 1.4 million crits on a king breaker and you're only landing 60% of those shots due to the crazy recoil and bullet spread of the weapon. I'd rather be hitting 1.1 million crits at 90%-100% accuracy.

You're opinion is its useless. I think its far from it.

Last edited:

Filben

I do play TD1 every winter for the mood; a few missions here and there and enjoying the setting. Tried TD2 many couples of times, but it doesn't look significantly better, doesn't play significantly better and has the same issues TD1 has, minus the cool setting. I'm not optimistic about a new TD.

Duchess

I regularly see The Division 2 heavily discounted on PSN (I swear it was once under £5..!). Is it worth getting for the single player mode?

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I regularly see The Division 2 heavily discounted on PSN (I swear it was once under £5..!). Is it worth getting for the single player mode?
Yes, but only if you also get Warlords of New York with it. The base storyline is merely OK as you run through what’s left of Washington DC, but the expansion brings in far better content and story with callbacks to the original game. The tone between the two cities is very different, with DC being more colorful with the vegetation and the soundtrack pushing a more heroic vibe. When you hit New York, the tone is much darker, with the soundtrack being more sinister and edgy comparatively.

Make sure to do both the main missions and side missions if you want all the story stuff. Who knows, you might enjoy it enough to stick around for the post-WONY content. 99% of the game can be played solo, and the game is getting its first brand new mission in years next Tuesday!

Yea I bought it for 2.99 back in Feb 2020 and it made me a huge fan, got the platinum. Played so much on single player, but I also had a buddy (who lives near DC) and we played the whole game co-op. So easily worth it, graphics are excellent. Bought D1 after a while and love it as well, mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member

I got Div 2 & Warlords of New York expansion for £6 in 2021 and got a bargain 100hrs+ out of it on just the campaign mode.

I stayed completely away from the online Dark Zone crap

Eventually you hit a Brickwall when it comes to the addictive quest of unlocking new weapons and stuff, as you just replay the same mission repeatedly on a higher difficulty level, to the point where it becomes impossible without others helping you out in co-op mode.

At that point I was done with it and moved on. Still, 100hrs+ for £6 is a bargain.

Roxkis_ii

My wife and I played the first 2 games and got our money's worth. We will probably hop on the thrid one as well. Kinda missing some cover based shooting in our lives this gen.

Top Bottom