• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The dudes from Simplepickup motorboat girls for breast cancer awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrabble

I am not speaking on their behalf.

I can still say that these guys exploited or used them to further their own interests of fame and touching breasts. Nice work if you can get it.

Fair enough, but when samsung donates money to charity for every television sold is that not then equally manipulative? Sure they're giving money to charity, but it's all in the name to spread their brand and advertise televisions.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Call me cynical but it seems like cancer research shouldn't hinge on whether strangers on the street will allow you to jiggle their breasts with your face.

Antti

Why the fuck does it matter they might further their own career by doing it? They just donated 2k to breast cancer research, more power to them. Much better than not furthering either.

Scrabble

Why the fuck does it matter they might further their own career by doing it? They just donated 2k to breast cancer research, more power to them. Much better than not furthering either.

Because were not allowed to have fun while also doing something pretty cool. The universe just won't allow it.

Video hit 1 million views, thats another 1k donated. Should be 3,080 in total so far. I'm curious how much they'll be able to raise by the end of the month.

Why not just donate the money, and skip the video and fondling altogether? That doesn't take any effort, and is much more commendable.

There. I solved the issue. I'm a genius.

Edit: THEY'RE NOT RAISING MONEY. THEY HAVE ALL OF THE MONEY TO DONATE.

Stet

Banned
Why not just donate the money, and skip the video and fondling altogether? That doesn't take any effort, and is much more commendable.

Don't bother. I've been over this many times, but evidently it's "not that different."

Darklord

Banned

Why have any awareness campaign ever? Why not just donate the $10,000 to charity instead of an event? It's because it spreads the word. And with 1.6 million views in a couple days they achieved that. Controversy or not.

Why have any awareness campaign ever? Why not just donate the $10,000 to charity instead of an event? It's because it spreads the word. And with 1.6 million views in a couple days they achieved that. Controversy or not.

They also spread the word that people will let themselves be fondled if charity is behind it. :)

Now if someone asks to touch my penis on camera for charity, I'll always wonder if it was legit or not.

bjb

Banned

There's plenty of businesses (the NFL for example) who run these 'campaigns' simply as a front for generating more revenue for themselves. Complete and utter greed.

I'm not saying it isn't raising 'awareness' on some level, but it's typically very unethical given the small (often times near fractional) amount of proceeds that actually go towards helping the intended parties/organizations.

The video has shot up to over 3 million views. Thats over $3000 worth of additional cash the simplepickup guys will have to donate to breast cancer awareness.

People get upset at the way PETA objectifies women in the name of animal rights too, right?
PETA murders animals so there is more than enough reason to hate them outside of objectifying women.

Many victims of breast cancer have had their breasts completely removed. Taking funding from a bunch of dudes who only gave it because they rubbed their faces on perfectly healthy breasts would be disrespectful to the victims so I'm glad they rejected it.

For those thinking that they did the right thing, and that cancer research will benefit?

The foundation has REJECTED the money.

http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/simple-pickup-motorboat-breast-cancer-donation/

Wow. BCRF actually puts 91% of donated money to research. There's a lot of charities that are probably less effective. Even though I found the video/women in the video tasteless, this is kind of a blow.

Seriously, would you be happy about your fiancee/wife having some random motorboat them for $20?

RDreamer

Seriously, would you be happy about your fiancee/wife having some random motorboat them for $20?

This is pretty sexist. Why does it have to be framed whether you would be happy about it? How about these women have their own lives and make their own decisions?

This is pretty sexist. Why does it have to be framed whether you would be happy about it? How about these women have their own lives and make their own decisions?

Fair enough, but I'm not a woman so I'm kind of posting it from a male's perspective. It's a BS proposition for both genders.

seems like these guys should have just not done this charity thing at all and continue with their normal type of videos.

and dear god at all the people demeaning these women in the video that decided by their own choice to do this.

Many victims of breast cancer have had their breasts completely removed. Taking funding from a bunch of dudes who only gave it because they rubbed their faces on perfectly healthy breasts would be disrespectful to the victims so I'm glad they rejected it.

you don't speak for all victims. I showed this to a family friend who is a victim, she thought it was harmless.

MrGummy

Cause they don't really give a fuck about Breast Cancer Research, and wanted to stick their face in a bunch of tits

sqwarlock

I'm sure it's been said, but how about they donate for a cure, and not for "awareness".

Apologies if this is what they actually did, however.

kurbaan

Banned
eyPaAas.png

Beautiful.

AMAZING

Norns

The whiteknighting in this thread is hilarious.

Physical contact between consenting adults isn't anything to get angry about.

Pimpwerx

$20 could get you a solid handy, and you'd be donating directly to a potential beneficiary. SMH...brrrrrr.

Wait...they rejected the money? Wow! Must not be a very important cause then. Morals and principles won't find a cure faster than actual funding. I'm sure women with actual breast cancer would just as soon have them take drug money covered in cocaine and dripping with fresh blood than turn it down. PEACE.

Wow. BCRF actually puts 91% of donated money to research. There's a lot of charities that are probably less effective. Even though I found the video/women in the video tasteless, this is kind of a blow.

The Simple Pickup guys gave the perfect underhanded PR response to the BCRF. You don't want our money? No problem, we'll give it to a foundation that will happily use it towards breast cancer research and awareness.

“We completely understand their decision. It's very obvious that the BCRF is refunding the money due to pressure from a minority of people who find the video offensive. We will donate this money (and any additional money in the future) to another charity that funds breast cancer research and awareness.”

Village

Wait...they rejected the money? Wow! Must not be a very important cause then. Morals and principles won't find a cure faster than actual funding. I'm sure women with actual breast cancer would just as soon have them take drug money covered in cocaine and dripping with fresh blood than turn it down. PEACE.

When you do that it tends to make the person accepting the money look worse.

GorillaJu

Their answer was not any other form of fund raising or involvement available out there. Their answer was to fondle breasts.

Would you have a man's asshole fundled in the street by a random uninvited stranger for the sake of cancer research? Perhaps in this light, you will see how ridiculous the premise is.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yea, no. that lowers it in men 50 and older, but INCREASES IT at my age range..

so wtf.

i dont know whats going on in this thread but i read this article and it doesnt increase your chances of prostate cancer, it correlates with sex drive, which correlates with hormones:

"They suggest that young men genetically predisposed to have hormone-sensitive prostate cancer will be at higher risk if their bodies naturally produce high levels of male hormones -- the same hormones that give them an intense sex drive.

So it's not masturbation itself that's increasing prostate cancer risk in young men. More masturbation may just mean more sex drive -- and more androgens bathing prostate tissues."

Pimpwerx

When you do that it tends to make the person accepting the money look worse.

To a vocal minority, maybe. Most rational people understand it's a cause that needs/deserves funding, by any means necessary. The end result is what's important, not that some kids raised the money by doing something distasteful. If I had cancer, I'd be more offended that any pro-cancer foundation turned down any money given to them than I would be by this stunt. It makes little sense given the purported gravity of the situation. What it says to me is, "this is a very important cause...but maybe not that important." Whatever, that money will be taken by a foundation with more perspective. PEACE.

This seems like a pretty clear response from the breast cancer community.

“We completely understand their decision. It's very obvious that the BCRF is refunding the money due to pressure from a minority of people who find the video offensive. We will donate this money (and any additional money in the future) to another charity that funds breast cancer research and awareness.”

Aaaaaand they completely missed the point.

Pau

$20 could get you a solid handy, and you'd be donating directly to a potential beneficiary. SMH...brrrrrr.

I find it pretty funny, that you paint us cancer patients in such a light. We're not all Walter White, shockingly enough.

To a vocal minority, maybe. Most rational people understand it's a cause that needs/deserves funding, by any means necessary. The end result is what's important, not that some kids raised the money by doing something distasteful. If I had cancer, I'd be more offended that any pro-cancer foundation turned down any money given to them than I would be by this stunt. It makes little sense given the purported gravity of the situation. What it says to me is, "this is a very important cause...but maybe not that important." Whatever, that money will be taken by a foundation with more perspective. PEACE.

lol. It was tasteless and idiotic and yes, offensive.

Cancer research isn't that needful. Most of the problems are very well understood. It takes a lot of time and effort
You should read:
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer

Unbounded

The thing nobody here seems to realize is that the guys from Simplepickup don't NEED to do some sort of fundraiser in order to motorboat girls in public. They have without a doubt done more without any sort of fundraiser backing at all.

The idea that "they did this just so they could grope some boobies" is silly.

The Simple Pickup guys gave the perfect underhanded PR response to the BCRF. You don't want our money? No problem, we'll give it to a foundation that will happily use it towards breast cancer research and awareness.

It's not a perfect response. They basically admitted that people find the videos to be completely tasteless and even the foundation they tried to donate to shares a similar sentiment. I commend them for not accepting dirty money. I'm not surprised that they tried to spin this in their favor and they completely missed the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom