• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

hepburn3d

Looking forward to try this; from what I've been reading, it won't be F2P, but just subscription-less.
What is worrying me is: DLC? Zones and quests and other non-cosmetic stuff as DLC?

Will this be the catch? Will this be horrible?

Having played the whole game you won't be upset with DLC. The game as it stands is open to everyone. The DLC will be new map locations that you don't need to visit. I think one I'm excited for is the Dwemer Clockwork city. It won't be a part of the game you need to visit to progress and there are loads of dwemer dungeons and bosses in the core game. The DLC is going to be there for you when you reach max level and you fancy a new location.

One question before I dump money I don't have on it on the hope that my life will be magically better before the next credit card bill: how strict are they with the holy trinity? I.e., is the game full of "LF1M Tank" times 45 minutes because tanking is horrible in every MMO ever and almost no one wants to be one?

It's really not too hard to find a group. The grouping tool doesn't always work so just use zone chat. If you try and do each group dungeon while you're in the zone you should have no problem getting a group. I'm always happy to help to. Tanking is very different in this game, as is healing really. The DD's will need to dodge and block mobs as the tank won't be able to aggro them all. Even more worrying is that the healer seems to be the go to target for enemies if the tank goes down so look after your healer. Also bow enemies will destroy your tank if the DD's aren't clearing up the edges. I've recently made a Dragon Knight tank and they are pretty bad ass. In PvP the tanks will always be the first ones storming a keep and that's a pretty fun part of the game.

lol you went with Ebonheart as your first main character?

Blood for the pact! As a smurf hunter and banana hater I welcome all to the pact :D

I found the soul trap spell to fill soul gems, but I don't have any soul gems to fill. How am I supposed to recharge my enchanted weapons?

By about level 10 you should start finding a lot more soul gems. Don't worry so much about charging your weapons early on. Sometimes its better to re-enchant your weapon than re-charge it.

Jesus fucking Christ the patches for this game are gargantuan. The latest SWTOR expansion wasn't half as big as whatever patch I'm downloading.

Yea a lot has changed. Massive patches incoming :)

So what are the odds that the server will crash tommorow at 10 am est? I am pretty hyped to get back in, but I am pretty pessimistic about the servers holding up...

Elder Scrolls Online : Tamriel Unlimited is now live on EU. Logged in and it's going well so far. Fingers crossed the servers survive the chaos.

Wallach

I just grabbed this now that they've officially gone to a B2P model.

Traditionally I like to start out with Breton mages that specialize in Conjuration. Is that possible in ESO to any meaningful degree? Being an MMO I'm not sure how well they might support a summon-focused playstyle.

hepburn3d

Traditionally I like to start out with Breton mages that specialize in Conjuration. Is that possible in ESO to any meaningful degree? Being an MMO I'm not sure how well they might support a summon-focused playstyle.

You're very lucky. Bretons make amazing mages and summoners and just got a massive buff. When you summon them you get a magicka buff and when they die you get health from them. Sorcerers will be your class. I've never played one but they look fun, enjoy

docbon

Hit me up if you ever want to run dungeons, Wallach. I have a low level templar healer on EP and a sorcerer with a shit ton of undistributed skillpoints in DC. Might make him a tank for fast groups.

Wallach

Hit me up if you ever want to run dungeons, Wallach. I have a low level templar healer on EP and a sorcerer with a shit ton of undistributed skillpoints in DC. Might make him a tank for fast groups.

It'll probably be a while before I make any significant progress due to work (plus Bloodborne coming out next week will eat up some of my remaining free time), but I'll definitely add you in-game.

Glad there is at least some kind of Conjuration path for me to play with!

hepburn3d

Epic-Giveaway.jpg

In recognition of ESO's 1 year birthday I'm giving away a copy of the game on Steam. This key has been bought from a UK Steam account so consider that before entering (I'm not sure how Steam restricts regions now). If you want a friend to try this out with you I'm happy for you to enter to give it to them.

Good luck and may the odds be in your favour.

ModBot 3 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hepburn3d, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
The Elder Scroll Online -- MB-E6CAED4D5B12949B - Taken by HooYaH. 14 entrants total.

t1426675956z1.png

Edit: ModBot Replied. I'll PM those who messaged me and ask them to use ModBot

KePoW

Banned

heyyyy didn't we play Marvel Heroes together??

It's always krazy when I see an old GAFer in a totally different game OT!

Heartfyre

I just remembered this was updating today. Looking forward to getting back and playing. My studies made a subscription poor value, so I very sadly unsubbed back in October. Really looking forward to get back to it, and being able to play at my own pace.

Now, to update the client for the first time since October. This...is going to take a while.

Sblargh

Banned
Got into the giveaway. Please, universe, you never give me anything, you're such an asshole universe, no, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to, I'm... goddamn, I'll never win now.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just realized that all those $23 deals from a month or two ago are dead and ESO is $60 everywhere again. Woops.
I am not even that interested in the game but I feel dumb for not just pulling the trigger back then.

lol you went with Ebonheart as your first main character?
Ha. Ha. Ha.

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!

In other news, anyone who wishes to join the North American Gaf guild, need only message me here or in game. I can be reached at: @XTVengeance

*edit
And here is a pic of my Main, Naelsa Oakenthorn, with her new mount. I named him Trusty Patches.
2015-03-17_00001_zpsmrh2zgw0.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'd like to know this as well.

It looks like, at least for the time being, we can't. I wouldn't be surprised if the price drops back down after the re-launch rush dies down, though.

hepburn3d

In the Steam winter sales the price went down to:

Base game £16.99. Imperial edition is £26.59

It's now back up at £50. I guess that was at 66% off though. If you're lucky it might be in the summer sales to but I'd guess for a few weeks it will remain full price with the re-release.

hepburn3d

I have 2000 crowns. Should I buy one of those cool mini dinosaur things then?

Yes, guar are awesome! Let out a little roar when you press jump when stationary. I want a senche! Hurry up and release them Zeni!

Can't tell if Zenimax are holding back store content so everyone spends their crowns first, or if they're stress testing the store with only a few items in it. I'm holding back my urgre to purchase ... but for how long ...

KePoW

Banned
If I have an account from Launch, is there any way for me to play the Steam version? Doesn't look like it?

I'd much rather download & patch the game through Steam, not the game's own launcher

Purchased the game last night, hopefully it'll be done downloading by tonight. Is the GAF guild active?

Edit:

Are there certain class/race combinations I should stay away from in fear of fucking me over in the end or will I be ok with pretty much any combination? I don't want to spend 20 hours and realize I messed up and need to start over again.

Double edit:

The launcher sure is a piece of shit.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
3 hours left of work, this shift has been killer doesn't help I only got 2 hours sleep

If I have an account from Launch, is there any way for me to play the Steam version? Doesn't look like it?

I'd much rather download & patch the game through Steam, not the game's own launcher

I have the Steam version and you still have to patch the game through the launcher...not Steam

I like the changes to the tutorial mission. It's not massively different but the tweaks are good IMO. I took a screenshot of one of the parts at the end that I don't remember if it's the same in the original version (I only played it once).

empyrean

Really like the look of this and want to give it a try i think, anyone know if there is a good up to date video which details the main features/system of the games (more than just naming them but explaining/showing them?)

justjim89

It's funny, crime is almost more immersive in this than in the main TES games because you can't savescum. 50% chance is a hell of a lot more intimidating when you can't quicksave. It's about the only thing this game has on the main TES games in terms of immersion, but I'm finding it surprisingly fun.

lazygecko

It's funny, crime is almost more immersive in this than in the main TES games because you can't savescum. 50% chance is a hell of a lot more intimidating when you can't quicksave. It's about the only thing this game has on the main TES games in terms of immersion, but I'm finding it surprisingly fun.

There's a developer quote somewhere in the manual for Daggerfall which urges players to not savescum and just quickload if they get caught by guards, and to treat it as a divergent path rather than a fail state.

docbon

Once bounty hunting is implemented, I have a feeling it will be way more intense.

Because of this, I grinded legerdemain to 20 as fast as possible, lololol

I just realized that all those $23 deals from a month or two ago are dead and ESO is $60 everywhere again. Woops.
I am not even that interested in the game but I feel dumb for not just pulling the trigger back then.

Alas. The lowest price right now is at $48 at greenmangaming with the voucher code 20OFFM-ATTHEW-HATTON.

KePoW

Banned
There's a developer quote somewhere in the manual for Daggerfall which urges players to not savescum and just quickload if they get caught by guards, and to treat it as a divergent path rather than a fail state.

yeah that's why save anywhere sux in all games

just allows players to cheat too much

justjim89

Once bounty hunting is implemented, I have a feeling it will be way more intense.

Because of this, I grinded legerdemain to 20 as fast as possible, lololol

Alas. The lowest price right now is at $48 at greenmangaming with the voucher code 20OFFM-ATTHEW-HATTON.

How do you recommend grinding legendermain?

Also, used my crowns to buy a guar mount (awww) and the rogue costume pack. It kinda bummed me out to see costumes are just skins and not armor with stats, but I guess it makes more sense that way.

Azull

Epic-Giveaway.jpg

In recognition of ESO's 1 year birthday I'm giving away a copy of the game on Steam. This key has been bought from a UK Steam account so consider that before entering (I'm not sure how Steam restricts regions now). If you want a friend to try this out with you I'm happy for you to enter to give it to them.

Hopped into the giveaway. Even if I don't win (I really hope I do, can't afford the going price right now), just wanted to say that it's really awesome of you hepburn3d to offer a copy like that. So thanks on behalf of all of us hopeful contestants :p.

The new loading screen art is nice too. I never played enough of the original version to give a detailed opinion but so far I like the changes for the Unlimited update. I'm sure others can (and will) go into more depth on actual gameplay changes and what does or doesn't work right. I'm curious to see if they will patch in controller support for the PC since this will be on PS4/XB1 with HUD/interface changes to work with a controller. I know Diablo III didn't and I preferred playing with the controller on PS4. FFXIV worked well with a controller too (tried PS4) but I'm not sure if they made it work for the PC or not.

docbon

How do you recommend grinding legendermain?

Also, used my crowns to buy a guar mount (awww) and the rogue costume pack. It kinda bummed me out to see costumes are just skins and not armor with stats, but I guess it makes more sense that way.

You basically want to max out your daily fencing / laundering every day to get 240+ experience points. Every time you get the chance to upgrade the fencing passive, do so. For the laundering portion, just give the fence cooking ingredients you loot from barrels and such.

DrBo42

There have been some lag issues but overall not too terrible.

Edit: In other news, stealth system is absolutely bizarre in this game when it comes to invisibility/aggro rules. When sneaking I can fire off an arrow for a sneak attack bonus, hit invisibility a few times while gaining distance and when I come back out I still have aggro/detection.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Someone want to take over the NeoGAF guild I had made? Sorry for not being on in so long. =\ Terrible. Im on now though If anyone would like to take over. Unless you guys made a new guild.

edit: nvm I passed it on already

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Epic-Giveaway.jpg

Entered, crazy kind of you.

vakarian32

Pretty keen to get back into this after work today, I haven't played since around August last year. Going to take me a while to get back into the swing of it since all my skills would have been reset.

Wallach

I played a few hours of this last night after it finished downloading.

My first impressions are pretty positive; the game actually looks quite impressive for an MMO, I wasn't expecting that for some reason. The screenshots don't do the game justice, it isn't the kind of game that only looks good in stills. Performance is also very strong for what's on-screen; I suppose that is necessary for their transition onto the next-gen platforms but it was a welcome surprise. Too many modern MMOs struggle to keep their CPU overhead down.

Character customization is also pretty solid for an MMO, though being an ES-branded game I imagine they felt it necessary to deliver as much as they could in that regard. My Breton in ESO actually managed to look a lot like my Breton in Skyrim. They definitely copped a lot of that game's style in terms of player/NPC aesthetics.

I'm still feeling out the combat and level progression system. One thing that surprised me was how well the ranged targeting worked; I have not really felt like it was difficult to get a spell onto a target simply with free-look, and the way it "sticks" to the target once you begin casting and keep your facing within LOS feels pretty intuitive. That said, I still feel like the melee combat results in much better feedback and gameplay flow (much as was in Skyrim as well) and I'm considering making a second character straight away that will take on a more melee focus (probably an Imperial Templar, similar to the S&S/Alteration/Restoration melee-focused Imperial I enjoyed a lot in Skyrim). It looks impressively flexible for an MMO, which is a nice change from the fairly rigid progression structures games like WoW and GW2 have been moving towards.

One thing I was not impressed with was the new-player experience. While the very first tutorial section was a strong introductory piece, the area they dropped me into right after that section takes a big dive in terms of teaching ability. The tutorial windows that pop up in this area only do so when you are actively looking or trying to interact with certain objects or NPCs. There doesn't seem to be any guiding lead-in to things like provisions, gear crafting, trade/auction systems, or your inventory/bank management options. It's a pretty abrupt shift that, if I were not an MMO veteran who can easily get by on assumptions based on past experience, would probably feel like hitting a wall of uncertainty. They definitely need a better lead-in coming out of the first sequence; I can imagine they've had new player retention issues that caused them to update the Coldharbour tutorial (which was mentioned in the patch notes), but I think they'd do well to also revisit this section of the game's introduction.

DrBo42

I played a few hours of this last night after it finished downloading.

My first impressions are pretty positive; the game actually looks quite impressive for an MMO, I wasn't expecting that for some reason. The screenshots don't do the game justice, it isn't the kind of game that only looks good in stills. Performance is also very strong for what's on-screen; I suppose that is necessary for their transition onto the next-gen platforms but it was a welcome surprise. Too many modern MMOs struggle to keep their CPU overhead down.

Character customization is also pretty solid for an MMO, though being an ES-branded game I imagine they felt it necessary to deliver as much as they could in that regard. My Breton in ESO actually managed to look a lot like my Breton in Skyrim. They definitely copped a lot of that game's style in terms of player/NPC aesthetics.

I'm still feeling out the combat and level progression system. One thing that surprised me was how well the ranged targeting worked; I have not really felt like it was difficult to get a spell onto a target simply with free-look, and the way it "sticks" to the target once you begin casting and keep your facing within LOS feels pretty intuitive. That said, I still feel like the melee combat results in much better feedback and gameplay flow (much as was in Skyrim as well) and I'm considering making a second character straight away that will take on a more melee focus (probably an Imperial Templar, similar to the S&S/Alteration/Restoration melee-focused Imperial I enjoyed a lot in Skyrim). It looks impressively flexible for an MMO, which is a nice change from the fairly rigid progression structures games like WoW and GW2 have been moving towards.

One thing I was not impressed with was the new-player experience. While the very first tutorial section was a strong introductory piece, the area they dropped me into right after that section takes a big dive in terms of teaching ability. The tutorial windows that pop up in this area only do so when you are actively looking or trying to interact with certain objects or NPCs. There doesn't seem to be any guiding lead-in to things like provisions, gear crafting, trade/auction systems, or your inventory/bank management options. It's a pretty abrupt shift that, if I were not an MMO veteran who can easily get by on assumptions based on past experience, would probably feel like hitting a wall of uncertainty. They definitely need a better lead-in coming out of the first sequence; I can imagine they've had new player retention issues that caused them to update the Coldharbour tutorial (which was mentioned in the patch notes), but I think they'd do well to also revisit this section of the game's introduction.

Good post, agree with everything here. Once you're dropped into the game proper I didn't have much clue what was going on, although my Daggerfall character felt far more intuitive than the middle faction area (I can't remember their name). Starting areas definitely are not created equal.

Top Bottom