• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

eso76

Jtyettis said:
Thinking no, but amazing if so.

an open world rpg on 2 dvd's ? that wouldn't make any sense, it wouldn't work.
In an open world game devs don't have control of what content you'll need and at what time, which would force you to swap discs continuously.
Unless it's a mandatory install of the second disc (which wouldn't hurt) the game most definitely is one dvd only.

JoeBoy101

EviLore said:
Anyway, very well made trailer. No real windows though, which suggests indoor/outdoor transitions remain. Console RAM limitations I suppose.

Not sure, but the transitions might help also with the modding toolset.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Blue Ninja said:
You don't say. :p

What? there was a OST for Oblivion and im pretty sure there will be one for Skyrim.

4qSNY.jpg

N4WoF.jpg

Revenant

really digging the look of the forests. Oblivion without mods had this weird look to it, like everything was made of plastic or something. Other than the water everything looked way better.

ruxtpin said:
Damn it. The hell... How is my wallet supposed to handle this coming year?

I hear the market for kidneys is good....

Zeliard

EviLore said:
Head bobbing can sometimes give me issues, yes. Improper FOVs, some third person cameras (like in PoP), low framerates, and screen tearing all fuck me up to varying degrees. Nausea, eye strain (leading to regular headaches), migraines, etc. depending on the issue.

Yes, my eyes are very sensitive :/

Sorry to hear that. Console games are not your friend.

Dennis

Banned
The one thing that is hard to ascertain from this 360 trailer is the texture quality.

Why is this so important you may ask. Well, if the PC version comes with actual high resolution textures as an option then the game is a Day 1 playable game. If not, then it has to go on the shelf until we get the inevitable High Res texture mod.

FrankT

eso76 said:
In an open world game devs don't have control of what content you'll need and at what time, which would force you to swap discs continuously.
Unless it's a mandatory install of the second disc (which wouldn't hurt) the game most definitely is one dvd only.

Good point yea.

Gorgon

AllIsOneIsNone said:
To me, Skyrim looks brighter, more natural and more varied in the style department. I loved demon's souls, but its dark tone felt a little cramped to me; don't really know how to describe it.

Dark Fantasy.

DennisK4 said:
The one thing that is hard to ascertain from this 360 trailer is the texture quality.

Why is this so important you may ask. Well, if the PC version comes with actual high resolution textures as an option then the game is a Day 1 playable game. If not, then it has to go on the shelf until we get the inevitable High Res texture mod.

So.. you won't play the game unless it has high res textures?

What.

Zeliard

I'm glad Witcher 2 is coming out several months prior, because between Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex: HR, my Holiday 2011 will already be packed to the brim. Not sure how I'm going to find the hours.

Arucardo

eso76 said:
Unless they can get Microsoft to allow a Forza 3 type deal where you can install the second dvd (which is unlikely since they're not a first party studio). But even then I'm not sure how it would work for those who don't install the 2nd dvd.

RiverBed

Banned
DennisK4 said:

My thoughts exactly. They look less horrible since I am told this is the 360 version, but if the PC won't be MUCH better, then this will have to wait in the bargain bin for me to get it- and it won't be too long since it is an SP game.
Plus, the competition this year on PC is strong with the Witcher 2, B3, Deus Ex and others looking really good indeed. And that is before we hit H2 of the year. Just think about the other blockbusters that haven't been announced yet.

Gorgon

Zeliard said:
It shouldn't be anything too extreme, but I think anything that improves the sliding feel their games typically have would do absolute wonders for immersion.

Personaly I can do without it in FP. I'd like it while running though, as seen on the vid.

EviLore said:
Head bobbing can sometimes give me issues, yes. Improper FOVs, some third person cameras (like in PoP), low framerates, and screen tearing all fuck me up to varying degrees. Nausea, eye strain (leading to regular headaches), migraines, etc. depending on the issue.

Yes, my eyes are very sensitive :/
That sucks. I had that a lot when I was younger. Some games, like the Marathon XBLA port, still fuck me up.

Sn4ke_911 said:
What? there was a OST for Oblivion and im pretty sure there will be one for Skyrim.
I know, I have it. :p I didn't mean it like that. It was just a remark on the way you said "the song in the trailer is from the Skyrim soundtrack", when it's called "Sons of Skyrim".

Dennis

Banned
-Yeti said:
So.. you won't play the game unless it has high res textures?

What.
Never mind me. The point is that games that modifiable are some times better off not being played right away but rather when some good mods have come about.

Its not just graphics, the gameplay of Oblivion was fixed by mods to such a high degree that it can rival Morrowind now.

kitzkozan

Gorgon said:
After Fallout 3 I think they can actually manage. Just don't pull out an Oblivion on me this time.

On the contrary,you look at New Vegas and you realize that they can't manage. :p Although it will be better than Oblivion as the quests were awful/mediocre except for the Dark brotherhood.

Anyway,keep your expectation in check.You can be sure that the final game will be a mixed bag of good,great and awful ideas/game design. :]

derFeef

Liked the trailer. It gave me nice goosebumps when the chanting began together with the character shouting . Still very sceptical about everything else though.

Speevy

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Its not just graphics, the gameplay of Oblivion was fixed by mods to such a high degree that it can rival Morrowind now.

Does that statement not bother you just a little bit? Games are an illusion. An if I have to create the entire illusion myself, it's not worth the trouble.

Riddler

I guess it'll be best to wait until the end of the year to upgrade my PC because that looks amazing.

Finally a great RPG line-up this year thats not on a handheld!

Canova

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
I'm more looking forward to gameplay and story compared to all this graphics discussion.

srsly!

no matter how beautiful or perfect the graphic is, if the combat is wonky still a no buy in my book

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Speevy said:
Does that statement not bother you just a little bit? Games are an illusion. An if I have to create the entire illusion myself, it's not worth the trouble.

Yes, but the fact of the matter is any huge budget project is going to be aimed at as wide an audience as possible for that particular product, right? Not everybody is happy with the end product that leads to, so being able to mod your game to your liking - especially in a genre that is all about freedom - is very important.

Dennis

Banned
Speevy said:
I don't know quite what you mean, honestly.

Even with heavy modding, games are still 99% the creation of the studio that created it in the first place.

Skyrim looks ace and the info so far is encouraging. I wonder how Betsheda themeselves view Oblivion in comparison to Morrowind.

Teknoman

DennisK4 said:

Finally, some intimidating monsters. One thing I didnt like about Oblivion was how none of the enemies looked particularly scary/threatening.

Also, heres hoping the combat music is alot better. Oblivion's was too subtle.

DennisK4 said:
Graphics > Art design

You know what? I kinda agree.

BUT, art has to at least be adequate.

I'd still make fun of DA2's visuals even if the textures weren't shit and its skeletons weren't ported from the N64.

The artstyle is just so embarrassingly bad at trying to be distinctive.

That said, everyone should prefer for both of them to be top notch.

DennisK4 said:
Often art direction is used as an excuse for lazy, incompetent, console graphics here on NeoGAF.

Often, strawmanning is used as an excuse for lazy, incompetent arguments on NeoGAF.

Seriously though, why shouldn't we strive for both? It's not like it's never been done before.

LiK

Teknoman said:
Finally, some intimidating monsters. One thing I didnt like about Oblivion was how none of the enemies looked particularly scary/threatening.

something tells me Demon's Souls was an influence. i didn't keep up with their development so just a guess.

Speevy

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I don't know quite what you mean, honestly.

Even with heavy modding, games are still 99% the creation of the studio that created it in the first place.

Skyrim looks ace and the info so far is encouraging. I wonder how Betsheda themeselves view Oblivion in comparison to Morrowind.

I'm talking about Oblivion, not Skyrim. That's the game you brought up.

If I play Oblivion and think "Well, this sucks. I'll have to change it!" then I feel as though everything that's happening in the game as a result of my changes was predetermined by my actions.

I realize this runs counter to the attitude of the mod community in general, but I hate gameplay that feels artificial. I don't want to know how it works.

edgefusion

The trailer looks absolutely rad and I am now officially pumped but if there is one thing I wish for in this game it's that not everyone has the exact same body. Especially when it's a 70 year old man with the body of a 20 year old adonis.

Gorgon

kitzkozan said:
On the contrary,you look at New Vegas and you realize that they can't manage. :p Although it will be better than Oblivion as the quests were awful/mediocre except for the Dark brotherhood.

Anyway,keep your expectation in check.You can be sure that the final game will be a mixed bag of good,great and awful ideas/game design. :]

NV isn't that much of a writting improvement over FO3. In fact, its no real improvement at all.

CortanaV

Neo Member
Teknoman said:

Or maybe several different tracks for combat. I don't think the Oblivion combat music really fit fighting mudcrabs... filthy creatures.

webrunner

good art design can make up for bad graphics: that's why some decade-old polygonal games look good, still.

good graphics cannot make up for bad art design: that's why some games with ridiculously high polycounts can still look bad.

Remember, a good design is a good design regardless of how it's rendered, but if you model a pile of crap with high definition bump mapping and volumetric shading or whatever, it's still a pile of crap.

Top Bottom