• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

BitchTits

Salmon said:
I was like:

0321_el33.gif
:lol

All over my face. ALL OVER MY FACE.

Corto

Alastor said:
This + Witcher 2 + Dark Souls = RPG fans dead for their families in late 2011.

I hope to play at least one of these games this year...

Sleep deprivation is a myth. 1-2 hours of sleep a day is just enough. ;)

Zeliard

Can we talk more about how FUCKING AWESOME the music is?

Because, man. The modified Morrowind theme with male choir just sounds incredible. The word "epic" doesn't do it justice.

The trailer was beautifully cut as well, with the theme building up and the choir roaring in at the perfect spot.

syllogism

Actually I don't think it's visually - art, models and animation aside - much of an improvement over Oblivion; definitely nowhere near Witcher 2. The trailer is still great though.

Zeliard said:

Because, man. The modified Morrowind theme with male choir just sounds incredible. The word "epic" doesn't do it justice.

The trailer was beautifully cut as well, with the theme building up then blaring in at the perfect spot.
I got goosebumps the moment the main theme kicked in. So amazing.

Can I shit in NPC's beds then watch their reaction when they find it? Not yet? Then no sale.

KKRT00 said:
No bump-mapping on roads, pixel-shimmering from somekind of EdgeAA, probably MLAA, so thats probably PS3 footage :p

Ps. BTW how can anyone wait 8.5 months after seeing something like that ;\
And lol at Bioware and DA 2 demo.

I love seeing great textures in a game, but it is something that can be improved with good art direction. Lighting and animations cannot. Besides I'm sure Quarl wont let us down with some great texture mods.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zeliard said:

The trailer was beautifully cut as well, with the theme building up the choir roaring in at the perfect spot.

Totally. I want that shit playing in the background every time I do something at work and/or in the bed.

JoeBoy101 said:
Yeah. I mean, I will have to play through with an Orc, Dunmer, and Nord Barbarian all once each.
And then you have to replay it with mods :p
JoeBoy101 said:
Is this the point that I mention the next Fallout will probably run on this engine?
Hopefully it'll come out once the next generation of consoles and graphic cards are out.

This is the year I get myself a new gaming PC. All hail Bethesda!

Jokab

water_wendi said:
Wow! And i dont just mean graphics. Lots of little gameplay things in there, better animations, better world design. And the Skyrim theme.. do i hear parts of the Morrowind theme in there or am i just imagining things?
The part at 1:10 in the trailer is based off the Morrowind theme, yeah. They talk about it in the videos Game Informer did on sound/music design in Skyrim, go watch 'em.

LCfiner

Character/ animal animation impresses me the most. looks like the biggest step up over Oblivion.

might it be possible to actually play this one in third person without it looking like jank? There is hope!!

matmanx1

Looks nice but I probably would have been more impressed before I saw the recent The Witcher 2 screens.

Regardless TES has always been about gameplay and HUGE worlds to play in for long periods of time so I'm sure this one won't disappoint in that respect either. 11/11 will be a long wait.

Dennis

Banned
matmanx1 said:
Looks nice but I probably would have been more impressed before I saw the recent The Witcher 2 screens.

Regardless TES has always been about gameplay and HUGE worlds to play in for long periods of time so I'm sure this one won't disappoint in that respect either. 11/11 will be a long wait.
Skyrim is open-world, The Witcher 2 is not.

syllogism said:
Actually I don't think it's visually, art, models and animation aside, much of an improvement over Oblivion; definitely nowhere near Witcher 2. The trailer is still great though.

It's a huge improvement over Oblivion, the draw distance alone sets the difference.
Vanilla Oblivion looks pretty shit nowadays. That is not to say that it's comparable with the Witcher 2, obviously, but for an open world it looks impressive.

JoeBoy101

Clott said:
blah blah it's really beating on a dead horse but the consoles are really holding back the advance of our generation! with now the onset of Dragon Age 2 which seems to be a consolified disaster, I can't help to only think how much better ES:S could have looked...

For some games, I can agree with that. But in this case, I think it helped Bethesda. Having to keep somewhere in the realms of working on current consoles meant that more work and resources could be used to refine animation, npc appearance, world creation, art direction etc. They've been able to refine exactly where Oblivion, and even the older ones, were weak in.

Plus those goddamn dragons look SOOOooo awesome.

kadotsu said:
Am I a bad person for wanting Bethesda to "rehash" Morrowind in this engine?
In absolutely no way. This would be a dream. As great as this looks I worry if any new games will match the scope and depth of Morrowind. I loved Oblivion and I'm sure I'll love this but man do I hope it's more Morrowind than Oblivion.

PnCIa

Man that looks great. At least the graphics...realtime shadows all over my face :D
And Bethesda has yet to disappoint me when it comes to gameplay, can´t wait.

Most wanted game of the year. No, make that the most desired game of the last 2... hmm, no still not right. Most NEEDED game of the last 4 years! YESSSSSS

bjaelke

Very impressive. Haven't played a (good) RPG since The Witcher EE but this looks like it might be able to top it!
kadotsu said:
Looks good and sounds good. Just needs good VA and quest design to be stellar. I hope the new engine is as modable as their old one. The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Tactics Ogre, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy Type-0, Risen 2, Disgaea 4, Torchlight 2 and maybe Diablo 3 will destroy my life in the upcoming 12 months.
Dungeon Siege 3 instead of Diablo 3?

Suairyu

Banned
So in Morrowind I was the sneaky, stealthy thief character. A real shit, stealing other's property but concerned with the greater good when it came to world-threatening doom. Shadows were my friend, trickery and deception my brothers, riches my goal.

Now, having seen this trailer, I can think of only one thing:
Fuck that. I'm being a melee-focussed Conan character and I'm going to slay dragons with a courage, cunning and steel. Fighter types are often the most dull to play in RPGs, but this setting is screaming out for it. I really hope the combat system is robust enough to support 300 hours of slashing, slicing and maiming.

Incredible rendition of the Elder Scrolls main theme. All kinds of epic.

...but I'm not buying it until all expansions are out and it's collected into a neat complete package. I understand those who won't be able to wait, but those who do wait can attest to this being the superior method of Bethesda game consumption. You get all the content at a reduced price, in one go and the mod community has improved the game a million times over by the time Bethesda has moved onto the next project.

Oh, and I don't care if the game looks like superman64. As long as the music is equal to that of Oblivion (which from the trailer it seems it will), I will cry tears of joy.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
DennisK4 said:
Skyrim is open-world and The Witcher 2 is not, so

Skyrim > The Witcher 2

Evilore am cry but there you have it.
We're going to have a fight, you and I.

LCfiner

I want to have Todd Howard's babies. All of them. All of the babies.

cleveridea said:
this and mass effect 3 this year!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

SAME FRIGGIN' MONTH! I'm just gonna lock myself in my house next winter.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boom 2 minutes and change just guaranteed Bethesda my money as soon as they put the game up for pre-order on Steam.

Hopefully they continue the excellent 360 pad support they had for Fallout.

Zeliard

syllogism said:
Actually I don't think it's visually - art, models and animation aside - much of an improvement over Oblivion; definitely nowhere near Witcher 2. The trailer is still great though.

Some of you ought to go back and play Oblivion again. "Stiff and lifeless" is the best way to describe that game's visuals. Skyrim is a substantial step up. It actually evokes a sense of atmosphere, for one thing.

Top Bottom