• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

mr_nothin

Banned
brain_stew said:
Won't work. You'll either have to use a capture card or get your hands on AMD's screenshot tool somehow.

Actually could someone try the screenshot fucntion built into EVGA Precision? I know its able to take shots of some games which FRAPs can't.
Link? I'll try it out

mr_nothin said:
Dont you mean istalling Crysis? Dont want to get banned :p

I'm about to start up Crysis right now! Oh man this should be great :D :D

Here's the link to the MLAA "patch" already done to the hotfix:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5h6cpooivo4sbox

This is for Radeon 5xxx cards. Dont know if it'll work for anything else.

Why would downloading the game in anyway imply he was pirating it!?

Can you give some simple fool-proof instructions along with it? I'll add them to the op.

gillty

Banned
brain_stew said:

Can you give some simple fool-proof instructions along with it? I'll add them to the op.
1)Install Catalyst 10.10
2)Install link above (10.10a hotfix w/ MLAA edit slipstreamed in)

mr_nothin

Banned
JADS said:
brain_stew said:

I forgot that we live in a world with steam. I dont use steam or any other DD softwares. My mistake!

There are no instructions for the download I provided. Just download and install.

Valru said:
1)Install link above (10.10a hotfix w/ MLAA edit slipstreamed in)
Actually, I fixed it for you :)

Wallach

Grabbing the slipstreamed RAR instead, since I haven't yet run the hotfix installer. Thanks for that.

As for screens, I'm not sure what to use if FRAPS won't pick up that layer.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
cant wait to see how MAfia 2 looks now
I dont think it works so well in Mafia 2. I'll have to check it again but it didnt seem like it was working. Battlefield Bad Company 2 doesnt work though :( Stupid Frostbite engine

mr_nothin said:
I forgot that we live in a world with steam. I dont use steam or any other DD softwares. My mistake!
)

PC gamers like this still exist!? :lol

---------------------

Can a mod update the OP title to reflect the fact that its now working on 5xxx series cards?

pestul

Valru said:
1)Install Catalyst 10.10
2)Install link above (10.10a hotfix w/ MLAA edit slipstreamed in)

Why would you need to install the 10.10s first? I thought the hotfix was a complete package?

Mindlog

JADS said:
My AA settings are greyed out. Some people claim that they got it working though.

Edit: IT WORKS

Welp, my hardware chub has gone full priapism.

Best ATI driver feature since TruForm :lol

mr_nothin

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
My AA settings seem to be greyed out after installing the patch? Is there something else i am suppose to do?
Bleh,
I guess you still might have to do the registry trick along with the "patch"?

pestul

It doesn't sound perfect, but this is only an early implementation. Surely, this will get improved with subsequent driver releases. It's neat to see the excitement this has caused. Nvidia better implement this soon to make things really interesting.

forrest

formerly nacire
pestul said:
Why would you need to install the 10.10s first? I thought the hotfix was a complete package?

It is, I just installed the hotfix and I edited the .inf's myself. I didn't get asked to restart after installing, but I had to for the MLAA checkbox to show up. I tried Batman: AA at 1080P and it definitely works. Thought the difference for me at 1080 wasn't super drastic. I had to give it a few comparison back to back with a close eye. I also tried it with Darksiders and I'm still undecided as to whether or not it's doing something. I'm thinking it is, but again, it doesn't seem very drastic.

Anyone have any game suggestions to try it with where the difference is really noticable?

*Edit - Here is the thread where I got the instructions if you wanna do the inf work yourself.

pestul

I've got quite a few games to try this on when I get home..

Anno 1404
Metro 2033
Final Fantasy XIV (only benchmark)
Crysis
Far Cry 2
Dirt 2
BF:BC2
Civ V
Dragon Age: Origins
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
many more on steam..

So exciting!

Wallach

Slipstreamed hotfix works fine. No registry editing necessary, just restart after installing the hotfix. Going to test now!

mr_nothin

Banned
Wallach said:
What key exactly should I nuke before installing the slipstreamed hotfix?
bloodforge said:
Yeah, mine are too.
Kabuki Waq said:
My AA settings seem to be greyed out after installing the patch? Is there something else i am suppose to do?
Restart your computer first and if that doesnt work then
Try this out:
You can try to add MLAA manually:
Start the Regedit (/REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000) and look for MLF_NA. So change 1 to 0 and restart the CCC.
If MLF_NA is not available: Add it!
Restart computer

Wallach said:
Slipstreamed hotfix works fine. No registry editing necessary, just restart after installing the hotfix. Going to test now!
Well I guess SOME ppl need to do the registry trick along with it and some dont? Seems a little finicky right now.

pestul

Wallach said:
Good stuff. All this should be put in the OP. Hopefully we can get this topic title entered, surely the thread won't be missed with all the activity it's experiencing.

Sorry for the noobish questoin, but I have a 5730 in my laptop, so if I install the driver and hotfix, it should work for me, right?

Also, what games support MLAA right now?

brochiller said:
Sorry for the noobish questoin, but I have a 5730 in my laptop, so if I install the driver and hotfix, it should work for me, right?

Also, what games support MLAA right now?

Yes, and support should be universal although its currently incompatible with a few games (like Bad Company 2).

jett said:
What does this mean, that MLAA is gonna work on my 4670?

No, it means that you can use RadeonPro to apply it per application on 5xxx and 6xxx series cards without any driver or registry hacking.

yea I just needed to restart. So I just click on the morphological filtering box and thats it ? I dont need to fiddle withthe " use application settings" "box , wide tent edge detect" etc...?

Doesnt seem to work with NFS shift so far.

mr_nothin

Banned
brain_stew said:
No, it means that you can use RadeonPro to apply it per application on 5xxx and 6xxx series cards with any driver or registry hacking.
And hopefully it means forcing MLAA in games that dont allow it (BFBC2 for example)

Kabuki Waq said:
yea I just needed to restart. So I just click on the morphological filtering box and thats it ? I dont need to fiddle withthe " use application settings" "box , wide tent edge detect" etc...?

Doesnt seem to work with NFS shift so far.
Keep "Application Settings" checked and just check the MLAA box. You dont need to change anything else.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sorry for the stupid question, but all I have to do to get this to work on my 5770 is to install the Catalyst Control Center 10.10 update, and then install the hotfix with pre-patched inf file?

Anyone tried using Window's 7 snipping tool to capture screenshots? Might work, though it could require you to run in windowed mode, still a nice interim solution.

mr_nothin said:
And hopefully it means forcing MLAA in games that dont allow it (BFBC2 for example)

This as well.

Combichristoffersen said:
Sorry for the stupid question, but all I have to do to get this to work on my 5770 is to install the Catalyst Control Center 10.10 update, and then install the hotfix with pre-patched inf file?

You don't even need to do the former. Just install the file in the op, then restart.

Wallach

Not really impressed so far.

Tried this with New Vegas and it's kinda gnarly. Clearly working but I'd put it around 2xMSAA level of quality.

On the plus side, it worked in Crysis and I didn't see any noticeable performance loss.

it works. NFS shift seems to be jittery mess with it. But Borderlands looks much better now.

oh and Mafia 2 does not seem to be effected by it. :(

Wallach said:
Not really impressed so far.

Tried this with New Vegas and it's kinda gnarly. Clearly working but I'd put it around 2xMSAA level of quality.

On the plus side, it worked in Crysis and I didn't see any noticeable performance loss.

Well if it offers even 2xmsaa quality with practically no performance cost then its worthwile. You can use it in conjunction with MSAA as well you realise, right?

Can someone try getting some screen captures by running games in Windowed mode and using the Windows 7 snipping tool, please? It should work just fine.

I just tried playing Just Cause 2. It didn't seem to do anything and my card fan was going crazy. I quit out of it and and checked my card temps in CCC and they were at 96 degrees. Never seen my 5770 get so hot.

mr_nothin

Banned
dynamitejim said:
I just tried playing Just Cause 2. It didn't seem to do anything and my card fan was going crazy. I quit out of it and and checked my card temps in CCC and they were at 96 degrees. Never seen my 5770 get so hot.
Doesnt work in Just Cause 2 from what I've tried. Not sure why your card did that though.

Top Bottom