• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The ESA is a big piece of shit" (The Jimquisition)

Shagger

Banned
vZ9ZSj1.gif

angelic

Banned
I agree with him on the mtx and industry corruption stuff, yet it's the same industry that provides him something to rail against and make a living from it. That hypocrisy, plus the Zoe Quinn support and general liberal stances makes it hard for me to listen to him any more. And i'm sorry, I know overweight conditions exist, but for god's sake, stop being proud of obesity and go on a diet.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have always thought the ESA was a good thing. Fighting for video game rights and making sure developers have the ability to create their own video games. Outside of those important things, no one really sees the ESA at work. Whenever I've mentioned the ESA, its like the first time they ever heard about the organization. What is some small-town simpleton going to do against a billion dollar industry? File a complaint with the ESA? I wouldn't be bad mouthing them just because. The industry is such a business, to where you have chairmen who don't exactly care about video games at all running the back end. The inevitable attitude of "no one gives a shit at the top" was bound to happen.

JoduanER2

I agree with him on the mtx and industry corruption stuff, yet it's the same industry that provides him something to rail against and make a living from it. That hypocrisy, plus the Zoe Quinn support and general liberal stances makes it hard for me to listen to him any more. And i'm sorry, I know overweight conditions exist, but for god's sake, stop being proud of obesity and go on a diet.

What?! Hes an idiot then.

PSlayer

Every single thing he produces is to shit on something. Positivity should give herpes to this guy.

His wife probably did this first.

Honestly i can't watch his videos anymore. Even though i agree with him sometimes(AAA predatory practices,etc...),he is way too obnoxious. A fat, effeminate guy,dressed as a fedoralord that is also openly a cuckold acting high and mighty is just too cringe to me. I cant take him seriously and is not like his opinions are too diferent from other youtubers so i rather watch those.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Has he bitched about Google/YouTube yet? Or does he not bite the hand that feeds him, and feeds him, and feeds him some more, bruh stays eating.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Xenon

Wha wha "sideline the press, sideline independent thought..."

More like sidelining the gaming press who sideline independent thought. Can't really feel bad for a press who has such resentment for a large part of their audience. Or rather a large part of the industry they cover.

Personally I'm fine with the industry cutting out the major press who sat by and watched as gaming coverage was hijacked by political hacks with the mild interest in gaming.

Last edited:
Looks like irony is lost on him. He seriously need to drop a few, I can't help but think about how much food one person needs to consume a day to support that weight.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

zeorhymer

Has he bitched about Google/YouTube yet? Or does he not bite the hand that feeds him, and feeds him, and feeds him some more, bruh stays eating.
He has. He was so proud to find the copyright deadlock and stick it to the man! He hasn't had YouTube revenue in forever. His Patreon gives him a good 120k salary.

Pejo

The video was actually pretty well done. This and the Xbox one were pretty high quality and well written/presented. It looks like Jim gets a lot of hate here, and I definitely don't enjoy all of his stuff, but there was quite a bit here that I didn't know.

burningheart

Neo Member
I used to really enjoy Sterling’s work - specifically the railing on microtransactions generally and “It’s only cosmetic is a shit excuse”- but since I noticed he was “in” with the Social Justice crowd I instantly lost all respect for the guy.

Funny how he can rage about crap like pay to win mechanics, yet other anti-consumerism (like ridiculing your own customers for the sake of Battlefield V’s daft agenda) gets utterly and completely ignored.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Dont need to watch it to say I for once in a long time agree with him.

Esa, MPAA, and Esrb can all go to hell and suck demon cocks for eternity.

Petrae

Like Jim or hate him, the topic is dead on. The ESA is shit, and E3 no longer has significant value.

The ESA is in such disarray that longtime staffers like president Mike Gallagher and communications lead Dan Hewitt (who defected to Gearbox, the poor sap) jumping ship this year. It’s been much maligned of late, from allowing a breach of E3 attendee information to reports of controversy within the organization. Worse yet, the organization controls the ESRB, which is now transparently useless and serves the video game industry instead of the consumer base.

And E3 is an event whose relevance has passed. Jim makes the same arguments others here (including myself) have made, including how social media and video platforms have allowed publishers and developers to have direct communications with consumers whenever they want without having to spend a king’s ransom on ESA fees and E3 exhibition.

Fan events like PAX and other trade events like GamesCom have passed E3 by, while the ESA has struggled with how to pivot the show to the public but still maintain its trade event identity.

Live events in stuffy auditoriums are worthless in the Digital Age. Some people want to hold onto tradition, but they’re increasingly difficult to sit through in comparison to pre-recorded and edited videos like Nintendo’s Direct presentations. Sony embarrassed itself so badly at E3 2018 that it made the decision to step away from the event entirely, and that’s after previous events that may have had decent announcements but lots of useless filler (like live music performances). Nintendo’s 2012 E3 press event was so droll and boring that it drove the company to create Directs. Only Microsoft remains of the Big Three in tradition mode, and even that has problems (like annoying/screaming fans). Bethesda’s events are terrible, EA’s events are so bad that they’re offensive, and Ubisoft’s events are illustrations in trying too fucking hard.

I know that Jim’s schtick with this series is being negative/angry, which irritates people, but this topic is one to get irritated over.

There is 2 major issues with Jim.

1. He has blinders to specific indie dev clicks he is close to. It's why he initally was a white knight for EGS when it started its fuckery (though he has changed his tune to "Well this is what capitalism looks like. Deal with it.). If it can help his friends, he is cool with it though he skewered other big companies for less. Apparently greed, capitalism, and backroom deals is a-ok if it helps indies he knows.

2. He has an inconsistent view on the gaming press. Like he gets so close to calling them out in the entirety, but pulls back to slam just their relationship with big companies. This is sad because he literally got shit on by the gaming press when he left. But, for some reason, he just can't call them all out for their bullshit.

Though, he has done good with MTX and lootboxes and bringing awareness to it. And he is right on the money with the ESA and E3.

Last edited:

Cactuarman

Banned
Petrae Petrae Just want to say I appreciate your comment.

I agree with him on the mtx and industry corruption stuff, yet it's the same industry that provides him something to rail against and make a living from it. That hypocrisy....

I don't understand this point as I can't seem to take it to any conclusion. If he wants to be critical of the industry, and wants make money off of these criticisms, what does he need to do here to not be a hypocrite? Should he not be making industry-related videos at all? Should his videos only be positive? What's the solve?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Complaining about the ESA existing only to promote the games industry makes about as much sense as complaining about an ad agency existing only to sell the products it represents... ITS FUCKING OBVIOUS THEY AREN'T PHILANTHROPIC ORGANIZATIONS!

Woo-Fu

Banned
From ESA's own website: "The ESA is the voice and advocate for companies that publish computer and video games and provides its members with expert insights into legal, policy, and public affairs matters. "

People expecting this to be a consumer-focused organization have some strange expectations, particularly if they know the history of the org.

angelic

Banned
Petrae Petrae Just want to say I appreciate your comment.

I don't understand this point as I can't seem to take it to any conclusion. If he wants to be critical of the industry, and wants make money off of these criticisms, what does he need to do here to not be a hypocrite? Should he not be making industry-related videos at all? Should his videos only be positive? What's the solve?

He's a whiner not a creator. He accepts shill gifts like his x1x then complains. He wont attack issues like zoe quinn because he has a self interest. He associates with known crook and crybaby laura kate fale. He cant even keep his own house in order (fat, looks ridiculous).

The solve is to just go away.

Kagey K

Banned
The Jimqusition is a big piece of shit that needs to go away if the gaming industry wants to be a better place.

It promotes only the worst levels of toxicity in the industry.

That knife cuts both ways.

Videospel

Why do people watch and even support him on Patreon? He literally just complains about things. What do people get out of it? "Yeah, you tell 'em Jim, EA sucks!"

Saruhashi

Banned
To be fair, his videos at least get a bit of conversation going.

The thing I don't really understand is the ridiculous opposition to the AAA section of the industry.

If you hate AAA games then just stop buying them.
There's no need to keep banging on about how "people should stop pre-ordering" etc etc. Fuck you. It's my money and if I want to pre-order a game then I will.

Same, if I want to buy the newest CoD or FIFA or whatever the fuck then I will.

OK, so you have an organization that looks after the interests of AAA developers and publishers, so what?
Then they decide to hold a "festival" that is basically an advertisement for upcoming games.
So what?

I mean, who really gives a fuck if they try to use celebrities to promote their games?

He almost seems to take offense to the idea that developers can create a game and then use celebs and "influencers" to say that the game is awesome and you should buy it.

What kind of "bad things" does the AAA industry actually do?
There are plenty of "normal" jobs where you have to work long hours for not great pay.
Sometimes movies or music or games etc can be heavily hyped but then turn out to be a bit rubbish.

He seems pissed off basically because AAA publishers are making shit-tons of money.
The problem is they are making that money because people want to buy their stuff.

OH MY GOD! They had a private and exclusive game trailer reveal!? HOW DARE THEY!

It's so fucking stupid.

Yes, if you are developing a videogame you probably want loads of people to play your game.
You probably want loads of people to buy your game.
How the hell are you supposed to achieve that when you're not allowed to do "cringey" marketing.

What are games supposed to be then?
You seek investment. You get a 10s of millions of dollars budget. You hire a team of 100s. You create a new game.
Now, don't you dare try to build up hype for your game! Don't get celebrities involved! Don't hold special events to build interest and word of mouth.

So we're just supposed to somberly play our video games? You can enjoy them but not too much?

What kind of an asshole sits there enjoying his game of FIFA when he could be buying the newest indie game about Feminism?

Imagine seeing a game trailer and thinking "looks interesting". Then seeing some gameplay and thinking "I'll give that a go actually". Then the release day approaches and you are excited to play the game. How terrible! How awful! Don't you know that AAA games are just a boring disappointment!?

Yeah, OK Jim, maybe I should just donate to some Kickstarters instead and not even get a game at the end of the day?

That terrible ESA, promoting videogames and helping to sell them to as wide an audience as possible. Much better to promise a game and then run off with the Kickstarter cash and ultimately deliver nothing at all.

I get what you're saying, person above me, I think part of his problem with AAA gaming is how AA gaming barely exists now. You're either AAA or indie because shareholders dominate the industry.

Cactuarman

Banned
He's a whiner not a creator. He accepts shill gifts like his x1x then complains. He wont attack issues like zoe quinn because he has a self interest. He associates with known crook and crybaby laura kate fale. He cant even keep his own house in order (fat, looks ridiculous).

I mean it's fine to just say you don't like him and we can move on. I just didn't understand your original point. I was curious about how one could both make money off of the video game industry (in this case via monetized criticism) while also being critical of a part of the industry you don't like. It sort of seems like you're suggesting you can't do that without being a hypocrite.

He has a problem with MTX and not Zoe Quinn. Fine. What I'm asking is if he needs to be critical of everything or nothing. This seems like an arbitrary standard for any type of criticism regardless of industry.

The solve is to just go away.

Fair enough I guess.

angelic

Banned
I mean it's fine to just say you don't like him and we can move on. I just didn't understand your original point. I was curious about how one could both make money off of the video game industry (in this case via monetized criticism) while also being critical of a part of the industry you don't like. It sort of seems like you're suggesting you can't do that without being a hypocrite.

He has a problem with MTX and not Zoe Quinn. Fine. What I'm asking is if he needs to be critical of everything or nothing. This seems like an arbitrary standard for any type of criticism regardless of industry.

Fair enough I guess.

He peddles selective outrage for money. He has no integrity. That's as plain as i can state it.

Top Bottom