• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2, is going to be a Critical Hit, Commercial Bomb.

TannerDemoz

Too many games being released in October

This will be the one most people pass over and wait for a drop in price

Unless it reviews very well

(which I can't see happening)

Balb

Not the main point of the OP but since he/she mentioned it, it's interesting how AAA publishers are struggling to create new franchises with successful follow ups this generation.

There was a lot to like in Evil Within 1, but on the whole, the first game is what makes me hold off on trying the second one any time soon. The amount of chase sequences, insta-death moments, and the limited ammo kind of soured my experience. I respect what it tried to do, but I don't think it was for me. Maybe if October was a little lighter, it would have stood a better chance for me, but that's not the times we live in.

Sizzel

I think it is safe to say this game will not be a commercial success, but I hope it is a good game. This is a 100% >= 20 dollar steam pick up for me.

It "feels" like a high 70's to low 80's vibe. If it can aggregate mid 80's ( which is kind of the standard for decent now/average) that would be a solid achievement, but marketing/buzz hype isn't there.

Truant

I hated TEW when it came out, and for a lot of reasons. The game looks and plays like shit on PS4, but the PC version has remedied a lot of those issues.

I also expected a more tonally consistent game, either as a RE4 style game, or a SH2 game. I got neither, and both.

I think I quit after the first few chapters back then, and just left thinking it was a bad game. Now that I'm replaying it with my girlfriend (on casual, with a guide if we're stuck), I'm enjoying it a lot more for what it is. Just a big dumb haunted house ride with OK stealth and combat.

If you look at a trailer for TEW, it makes the game look like this epic journey of horror and chaos, and you're wondering how it all connects. But the game is just that, a big trailer of hard cuts from a much bigger game.

It's weird how Bethesda's marketing for Skyrim & Fallout 4 was impeccable, and yet they do a really lacklustre job with most other stuff they publish. I think Wolfenstein 2 will do reasonably well, but I can see this bombing and Dishonored 2 & Prey 2 seem to have been disappointments. Like, they've made this excellent catalogue of original IPs and classic brands but have made a bunch of foolish errors and done a pretty poor job of maintaining them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There was a lot to like in Evil Within 1, but on the whole, the first game is what makes me hold off on trying the second one any time soon. The amount of chase sequences, insta-death moments, and the limited ammo kind of soured my experience. I respect what it tried to do, but I don't think it was for me. Maybe if October was a little lighter, it would have stood a better chance for me, but that's not the times we live in.
Personally that’s what I love about it. I guess most people want to get through the game as smooth as possible but not me. I want to struggle and die and try to barely survive with little resource as possible.

kc44135

Ok dudes, here's the definitive list of "action-horror" games: RE4 (best game ever) > RE5 > RE6 > TEW1 > RE:REV2 > RE:REV1 > Dead Space2 > Dead Space 1 > anything >>>> shit sandwich >>>>>>>>>>>> Dead Space 3.

gelf

I absolutely loved TEW and I'm still unsure if I want this sequel or not. I'm expecting better reviews compared to the first game but possibly at the expense of the unpopular elements I liked from the original. Sales I have no idea but I'd guess at a downturn compared to first regardless of reviews.

kromeo

I mentioned before in another thread but I would put both Evil Within and Dead Space 1 above RE4. Maybe DS2 as well but that one would be a lot closer

I'd point out that the actual gameplay is secondary to the atmosphere in these games for me though

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bethesda is terrible at marketing video games.
Yes. Yes they are.

Honestly, Bethesda is one of the best publishers in the business in terms of quality output, but the PR and marketing side of things is a mess. They are terrible at selling great games.

I don't think it'll be either. I think it'll sell well enough because of an established core audience, since this type of survival horror is rather rare these days and it'll probably receive slightly better than average reviews, at best. I think Bethesda will get their investment returned and then some, hopefully enough to keep the series alive, or at least Tango Gameworks.

But you'll have to wonder about their decision to release this a week before Wolfenstein, in one of the busiest months of anticipated game releases. It tells me that they have cofidence in TEW2, at least enough to pit it against their major release, as well as the likes of Mario and South Park.

Riposte

To quote Aris in context of RE6 and opinions. "It's okay to think RE6 is a great game. After all there are people out there who love to eat their own shit. To each his own."

Didn't Aris really like Umbrella Corps?

I really liked TEW, but I think I liked the RE4/5/6 trilogy more. Would put it over both Revelations games though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So embargo lifts tomorrow?

Yes. I don't know the exact time, but indeed on the 12th. It's probably the same time the streamers "What they can upload" embargo is lifted too n Thursday, but don't know the exact time, but I am actually guessing 7 AM PST / 10 AM EST for two reasons:

-Most Streamers seemed to say they could stream freely ON Thursday, so it's not midnight of Thursday or something.

-The game officially releases at midnight AEST (Eastern Australian Standard Time), which is equivalent to 7 AM PST / 10 AM EST. As that's the first 'official' release of the game, they may have the embargo lift right then.

Impulsor

Yes. I don't know the exact time, but indeed on the 12th. It's probably the same time the streamers "What they can upload" embargo is lifted too n Thursday, but don't know the exact time, but I am actually guessing 7 AM PST / 10 AM EST for two reasons:

-Most Streamers seemed to say they could stream freely ON Thursday, so it's not midnight of Thursday or something.

-The game officially releases at midnight AEST (Eastern Australian Standard Time), which is equivalent to 7 AM PST / 10 AM EST. As that's the first 'official' release of the game, they may have the embargo lift right then.

Thanks guys.

I hope this reviews really well!

Too many games being released in October

This will be the one most people pass over and wait for a drop in price

Unless it reviews very well

(which I can't see happening)

this, too many games

10th - Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor 2)
13th - The Evil Within 2
17th - Elex
24th - Destiny 2
27th - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

I loved TEW1. My ranking is honestly:

RE4 > TEW1 > Don't care enough about the rest to order them

But... my hype for TEW2 is basically non-existent.

Trickfinger

Neo Member
i agree, op.

The landscape is totally different now then it was for TEW1.

quality games are dropping too fast to even keep up. I'm still playing destiny 2, and Mario Odyssey is just around the corner.

Still getting TEW2 on release though, loved the first one, great style. Definitely the true resi4 successor

also, its not directed by Mikami, so that's creating some doubts as well.

N7.Angel

I was super hype for the first one and I really dislike it, I don’t even follow the sequel for that reason... I’m not even sure the game will be a critical success, we’ll see.

So you played TEW2 yesterday and liked it more than SoW then?

That's right, I went to a friends after work and played some SoW and it just didn't really gel with me, almost felt like I was playing more of SoM.

Later played TEW2 which I personally enjoyed a lot more, really looking forward to getting home and jumping back in.

If I was to offer my 2 cents on what to buy this week, grab TEW2...

or sack 'em both off for Fractured next week ;P

I think op is getting a little ahead of himself. I'm not sure TEW2 will be a critical hit, but I'd sure love it to be. I think it'll do marginally better than the first. Regardless, I love the first so I think I'll really love this one.

Anyway, can we talk about how there are 3 evil within 2 threads on the front page? Love that it's getting so much attention all of the sudden on Gaf

Great... just what the genre needed.
Someone making a thread saying the game will be a commercial bomb making even more people wait for a price drop.
Could we not at least wait until reviews? this game needed all the help it can get.
At least just post your thoughts in the other evil within 2 threads until reviews are out.

Risev1

Great... just what the genre needed.
Someone making a thread saying the game will be a commercial bomb making even more people wait for a price drop.
Could we not at least wait until reviews? this game needed all the help it can get.
At least just post your thoughts in the other evil within 2 threads until reviews are out.

If the game's success chances are so fragile than a neogaf thread can shatter them, then yeah that game was never going to be successful, ever.

CookTrain

I was super hype for the first one and I really dislike it, I don’t even follow the sequel for that reason... I’m not even sure the game will be a critical success, we’ll see.

That's me as well. Hyped for Evil Within, encountered a zombie/whatever with a sniper rifle. Done.

At least this one looks a good deal more horror-tastic, but I can't see where critical lauding is going to come from. Seems around a Silent Hill Homecoming quality of game.

Vash63

Several reviewers already have the game and the review embargo is on the 12th, a game before the game releases.

Oh, really? I was just assuming otherwise after what happened to Dishonored 2, DOOM, Prey and all of the other Bethesda games lately. Good if they're finally backing down on that.

Perineum

Didn't Aris really like Umbrella Corps?

I really liked TEW, but I think I liked the RE4/5/6 trilogy more. Would put it over both Revelations games though.

Umbrella Corps with any other title that wasn't RE would've done fine. The game had no lag, good gun play, great maps, fantastic soundtrack, and was just all around a blast to play.

I am still baffled why everyone took a fat shit on that game. No weird micro transaction shit, priced cheap out the gate, and they were flat out honest with what the game was supposed to be.

I have like a hundred hours in that, but I don't consider it a horror game by any means. It's a fast paced Gears of War.

I loved TEW1. My ranking is honestly:

RE4 > TEW1 > Don't care enough about the rest to order them

But... my hype for TEW2 is basically non-existent.

I dunno... that new launch trailer has me hyped as shit!

Everything about it, in that trailer, looks dope as hell.

Do you think that it's just a case of wanting to be surprised by it being good? Or reviewing good?

I asked myself today, what would a game like this have to do to be received well. I came to the conclusion that..

I like horror in games and don't mind a lil dread..
But the terror has to come to an end or be toned down.

RE3, RE7, haunting grounds, TEW all have something in common that I hate. And it's being chased or hunted.
Now i know it's in almost all RE titles..

But the aforementioned games have these big hulking dudes running after you with like a chainsaw or a hammer or some shit.. I haven't finished any of those games because of it. I tend to beat those enemies, but coming back again and again gets annoying more so than fun.

I'm pretty sure that'll be in this game too, but fuck it, might as well join the fun now with everyone else.

Hope it reviews well!

Top Bottom