• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
theevilwithin2sysreqs7ilk4.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Fix G-Sync not functioning in fullscreen mode: Set G-Sync to "Enable G-Sync for windowed and fullscreen mode." (Credit to Blitzhex.)
Fix audio desyncing during cutscenes: Navigate to Control Panel -> Sound -> Active playback device properties -> Advanced and change the default format to Studio Quality. (Credit to d00d3n.)
Mitigate stuttering: Follow the instructions here. Adjust accordingly if you have an AMD GPU. (Credit to MaLDo.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Display mode: Fullscreen; Borderless; Windowed
Monitor: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Vsync: Disabled; Display-based; Display-based (half); 60fps; 30fps
Gamma adjustment: Self-explanatory
Field of view: 45 -> 90 in increments of 1
Film grain: 0 -> 100 in increments of 1
Chromatic aberration: Disabled/Enabled
Performance metrics: Disabled/Enabled

Overall quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
LOD: Disabled/Enabled
Bloom: Disabled/Enabled
Object motion blur: Disabled/Enabled
Camera motion blur: Disabled/Enabled
Motion blur quality: Low; Medium; High
DoF quality: Disabled; Low; Medium; High; Ultra
SSAO quality: Disabled; Low; Medium; High; Ultra
SSR quality: Disabled; Low; Medium; High

Volumetric light quality: Disabled; Low; Medium; High
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Anti-aliasing: Disabled; FXAA; TAA; TAA + FXAA

JaseC

To unlock the game early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
2) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available and the bandwidth is decent.

Edit: No longer necessary.

I'm unpacking rn, but I'm gonna update with impressions.
I'm sporting an i7-4790k 4.0Ghz, a GTX 1060 6GB and 16GB of DDR3.
Hope this won't have really bad texture pop-in on a normal HDD.

epmode

Why is it necessary to log out of the mobile apps and change your password? I understand the advice for the mobile apps but couldn't you just close the mobile apps using the task switcher? And if you have to get a SteamGuard code, you can put your phone in airplane mode.

I don't understand why you'd have to change your password at all.

JaseC

Bethesda forgot to add the executable depot to the game's packages. Lovely. Edit: Restart Steam to trigger the executable download.

Why is it necessary to log out of the mobile apps and change your password? Couldn't you just close the mobile apps using the task switcher? And if you have to get a SteamGuard code, you can put your phone in airplane mode.

Changing your password kills any ghost sessions that may be lingering about. They interfere with the region change as Steam thinks your IP hasn't changed.

epmode

Changing your password kills any ghost sessions that may be lingering about. They interfere with the region change as Steam thinks your IP hasn't changed.

Good call. I've done it before, I was just wondering why it was necessary.

Blitzhex

I'm in. Mouse feels really laggy in the main menu atm. Lots of acceleration/mouse smoothing going on and I have vsync off.

Dmented

Banned

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available and the bandwidth is decent.

Omg thank you for this. I could not get my VPN to work for shit and now it does. Awesome.

Edit: Wait so we can't play because they forgot the EXE... wow lol.

Sanctuary

Hopefully this has the same kind of internal resolution scaling that RE7 had (selecting the 4K resolution option, but then having it render at 0.85 of that). I could run RE7 flawlessly doing that, and it looked great. It was a stuttery mess at native 4K though. That of course is if it doesn't allow you to run it at 1440p/HDR on a 4K TV just like RE7.

JaseC

jase "nofuckingidea" c lol

Haha, all of the names that came to mind at the time were taken, so out of frustration I entered "nofuckingidea" and hit enter, not expecting it to be free. But it was, such is my luck.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Interested in 3570k / GTX 970 impressions, the first game ran really poorly and I can't be dealing with that again. Need that 60fps minimum.

rtcn63

That time where 8 GB RAM was overkill seems not that far away to me.

Good times, I need to upgrade soon... :(

8GB is still good enough (though maybe not optimal) for the majority of games at 1080p. Games just recommend 16GB just in case, plus it being the normal amount bought for modern builds.

Interested in 3570k / GTX 970 impressions, the first game ran really poorly and I can't be dealing with that again. Need that 60fps minimum.

There's a theory that the original suffered from framepacing/stuttering issues on older CPU's.

Gasian

Shit, I only got 8 GB RAM.

Its fine. I doubt the game will ever use that much. The most I have ever seen on a game that recommends 16gb (unless it is horribly optimized) ,never went over 8. You are good.I sincerely have no idea why they even recommend that tbh

Mifec

Nope. Yep.

I specifically took my stepdad's laptop with me on a trip thus depriving him of the ability to play Company of Heroes while he pretends to manage his company just so I can try it when I get to my hotel and Beth messes it up
356597262668922900.png

JaseC

Apparently it was an issue with Steam and not Bethesda. At least that's what I saw from a Valve admin.

Ah, yeah, restarting Steam does the trick. Interesting. I wonder if this points to Valve toying with the idea of encryption-free pre-loads.

Edit: Oh, the executable depot was replaced with a new one. Hopes deleted. :(

ValfarHL

Opening scene when looking at the
burning house
gives me about 54fps on 1440p and everything maxed out.

My system is a i7 4790k@4.7Ghz, GTX 1070@2100/4353Mhz 16GB RAM.

My 1080 TI can't come fast enough. :D

BEA8C96ECAE600E719B630BB7370BCB592C45480

Guessing Steams upload service compresses the images?

KainXVIII

Welp.
970 peasants (like me) will suffer.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_pc_videos_of_the_evil_within_2-19597_en.html
The PC version seems to be much better optimized than the first game, but even with a GTX 1080, it's preferable to stick to a 1080p resolution to avoid the frame drops. We have experienced a little bit of stutter though, which might be due to the Creator's Update Windows added a few months back (and which is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming update on October 17). If you're a bit curious about the game, we will be live playing tonight at 9:30 CEST for about 30 minutes (only). Be on time!

Blitzhex

Game isn't going exclusive fullscreen for me. Tried switching between borderless, fullscreen, alt+enter etc and it's always in borderless windows.

xVodevil

2500K@4,5 + 970 (I'm on fresh win, so no Afterburner kicked in yet)
First 30 minutes incl. cutscenes, it seems to stay between 45-55, with mostly medium settings.

KainXVIII

First 30 minutes incl. cutscenes, it seems to stay between 45-55, with mostly medium settings.
"The PC version seems to be much better optimized than the first game" sentence now seems less plausible lol

rtcn63

These reports coming in do not seem good. (Old i5 + 1060 here) I'm surprised because the game does not look that great graphically from what I've seen.

JaseC

Hmm, it doesn't seem possible to skip the intro videos. Neither +com_skipIntroVideo 1 nor +com_showLoadingScreen 0 work and renaming/replacing tango_logo.bk2 causes the game to insta-crash.

rtcn63

>much better optimized than the first game
>even with a 1080 stick to 1080p to avoid frame drops

That's not really promising.

IIRC even something like Dark Souls 3 at max does fine on a 970/1060/580.

It's always possible we'll get better performance with patches/drive updates.

Top Bottom