• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 VS Nier: Automata

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Evil Within 2

Votes: 60 28.6%
  • Nier: Automata

Votes: 150 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

QvUnVe3.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haven't played EW2, but I didn't liked the first one. Is it much better than it?

Also love Nier: Automata, so my vote goes there.

tommycronin

Evil Within 2 is a much better game and an actual better story to follow, People rate Nier's story high because they think it made them think about certain thoughts. Evil Within 2 was much more fun to play Nier has some really bad points in it's story.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nier had way bigger impact for the industry and amazing ass.
But Evil Within 2 turned a terribly boring first game into a fantastic emotional story. That last chapter is so emotional. The game also plays incredibly well and it's a hidden gem for sure

CrysisFreak

Banned
This whole competition is worthless anyway.
Sekiro is the clear winner irl but because of the fact that this forum is filled with plebs (which I respect a lot no offence) some other game is going to win.
I can see it coming, but no one listens to me so whatever I voted for Nier because of Ending E which is da real ending.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sekiro is the clear winner irl but because of the fact that this forum is filled with plebs (which I respect a lot no offence) some other game is going to win.
I can see it coming, but no one listens to me so whatever I voted for Nier because of Ending E which is da real ending.
Death Stranding dude. (ok, maybe bloodborne but my heart goes to last guardian)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'd like to give it to NIER but I stop playing halfway through.
Maybe when I do return to it I may see it in a better light.
I do like it but I played The Evil Within 2 from start to finish and loved it so my vote has to go to TEW2

Punished Miku

Gold Member
NieR Automata is one of the most important games of this generation for sure. Possibly the best OST ever created in all of videogames. Top tier action RPG combat. Some of the most fearless and challenging writing in any video game ever made. Genuinely thought provoking, emotional, and meaningful themes. The game also doesn't forget that its a game and just indulge the writer. It's hyper focused on being a tribute to interactivity at the same time - with 2D shmup levels, 3D action levels, multiple perspective changes, interactive commentary on trophies and achievements, and an extremely innovative and interactive ending.

The game made me genuinely feel things, and think deeply about morality, depression, religion, the meaning of existence and life, and literally made me finally come to a solid moral position on artificial intelligence.

NieR is like Evangelion was for people growing up in the 90s. It presents a mystery that's equal parts emotional and intellectual. It doesn't insult the player's intelligence, and instead requires the player to participate with their attention, and to delve deeper into the writing and mythology to fully appreciate it.

It's a genuine masterpiece.

Nier sucks so Evil Within.

I doubt you could find a single forum either online or irl where people would agree that Sekiro is GOTG. Even a soulsborne forum would likely select Bloodborne.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
TEW2. One of the best horror games this gen. Nier is some overrated waifu shit. Who the hell got time to finish a game six times for the whole story?!

tenor.gif

I'd say you have to finish it 1.5 times. Route B is about half as long, and is a bit repetitive. You play as the other character.

Route C is literally like season 2 of an anime, and it's pretty much all new content the whole time for all the rest of it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'd say you have to finish it 1.5 times. Route B is about half as long, and is a bit repetitive. You play as the other character.

Route C is literally like season 2 of an anime, and it's pretty much all new content the whole time for all the rest of it.
I really like to know where the hell they get their false information from!!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean I at least enjoyed Nier's gameplay. So I guess the lesser of two EVILS

heh

kill me

NieR Automata is one of the most important games of this generation for sure. Possibly the best OST ever created in all of videogames. Top tier action RPG combat. Some of the most fearless and challenging writing in any video game ever made. Genuinely thought provoking, emotional, and meaningful themes. The game also doesn't forget that its a game and just indulge the writer. It's hyper focused on being a tribute to interactivity at the same time - with 2D shmup levels, 3D action levels, multiple perspective changes, interactive commentary on trophies and achievements, and an extremely innovative and interactive ending.

The game made me genuinely feel things, and think deeply about morality, depression, religion, the meaning of existence and life, and literally made me finally come to a solid moral position on artificial intelligence.

NieR is like Evangelion was for people growing up in the 90s. It presents a mystery that's equal parts emotional and intellectual. It doesn't insult the player's intelligence, and instead requires the player to participate with their attention, and to delve deeper into the writing and mythology to fully appreciate it.

It's a genuine masterpiece.
This is why god left us.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Triggered
Reactions: GHG
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't even a minority opinion. Just read some of the reviews or watch this.

Genuinely a masterpiece.

Look Automato has a story that is quite possibly one of the most up it's own ass stories of this gen with unlikable characters (outside A2) and quirky moments but even then I would never consider it to be as autistic as Evangelion. I'm guessing you are comparing the two since everything is fucked by the end? Nor would I ever call it a masterpiece. It is for the most part extremely cut and paste in content as well. Previous Nier titles which shared the same theme did MUH hope far better. Now the gameplay works, the music is great and robuts are fine.

SO!

Outside the plot and characters it functions as a proper game. TEW2 bored the living shit out of me. :)

5/10. Get a better writer and make the game more diverse/less brown everywhere please. Character designs were pretty good. 9S belongs in a trash compactor.
aXYA2G9_460s.jpg

ACESHIGH

Banned
Both great games, both unoptimized as hell on PC. Even as a survival horror fan I have to give the edge to more autómata.

Isa

Nice! Will add it back to my list.
Can I play it without beating the first one?

I'd say yes it should be fine with just the general idea of the first game's storyline. I personally played and beat TEW 2 without beating the first and it was my game of the year. I had played the first when it released but I encountered the first one-hit kill/fail moments and I couldn't be bothered. I will say that my interest was piqued after playing the second to see maybe what the fuss was about by those who praise the game, plus I like Sebastian and wanted to learn more about the world. So I've been very slowly making my way through the game again but I can only do so in short bursts because of the blurred draw distance and weird camera effects, they make me nauseous and give me headaches. I think it has some decent moments that feel very PS3 era in design and execution compared to the sequel.

On topic for as much as I loved TEW2, Nier is just leagues apart. Everything just stands out so much more. The story, atmosphere, mood, fluid action and especially music all come together in such an amazing package, perfectly represented by 2B's soft jiggly posterior. Seriously though, they are both great games but for me Nier is timeless. I need that Nier remaster and Taro's next game ASAP.

Silent Duck

I wasn't crazy about Nier Automata when I first started playing it. Then there was a point where it just "clicked" for me. I'm not sure exactly at what point this happened, but I found myself spending a lot of time playing it. I was actually enjoying it.

Evil Within 2 did not click with me. I just stopped playing and never felt the urge to continue. So if a choice had to be made between the two, I'd go with Nier: Automata.

The Evil Within 2 wins in the campiness and gameplay department. I love the game and beat it FOUR TIMES IN THE WEEK IT WAS RELEASED. I love it so much even moreso than The Evil Within 1.

Nier Automata wins in the story and momentary aspects. The game blew me away with it's underlying tones (and even the several IN YOUR FACE themes), and some of the scenes are ingrained in my head to this day. Literally Art: The Video Game.

I think if the two had a baby, it'd probably be my #1 of all time.

Tldr; shit I don't actually have an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom