• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within: Every Last Bullet Trailer

Long, strong, and fibrous.

Or "poor in quality", across the ocean.

Interesting. Did not know. I do find it funny how people say this and never actually explain what they mean. Would be nice to know what people truly are NOT liking about what they see besides graphics.

NinjaBoiX

What does ropey mean? This cult leader must know!
Oh sorry, it's a British colloquialism. It means, "of poor quality, badly constructed".
I found TLoU to be an overrated experience that ended up being mostly the glorification of torturing women. Don't confuse me with its fanatics.
This post, for example, is ropey.
Interesting. Did not know. I do find it funny how people say this and never actually explain what they mean. Would be nice to know what people truly are NOT liking about what they see besides graphics.
I dunno, it just looks a bit dated and rough around the edges. It doesn't impress me, I don't know what to tell you!

Kallor

I don't disagree with you... in fact, I found TLoU to be an overrated experience that ended up being mostly the glorification of torturing women. Don't confuse me with its fanatics.

I musta missed that part. Refresh me please?

OT: Fuck yeah! day uno,

Late Flag

II don't disagree with you... in fact, I found TLoU to be an overrated experience that ended up being mostly the glorification of torturing women. Don't confuse me with its fanatics.

I seriously don't understand this comment. Could you flesh this out?

HiiiLife

Is this game considered one of the underdogs this year? I feel this and Shadow of Mordor are the underdogs, while SoM delivered (according to reviews at least) I'm hoping this does the same.

I always love getting to experience games that had relatively little hype compared to games like Destiny and Titanfall(?).

antitrop

Is this game considered one of the underdogs this year? I feel this and Shadow of Mordor are the underdogs, while SoM delivered (according to reviews at least) I'm hoping this does the same.

I always love getting to experience games that had relatively little hype compared to games like Destiny and Titanfall(?).
I think The Evil Within, Mordor, and Wolfenstein would be the big 3 underdogs, yeah.

Titanfall, Destiny, and Watch_Dogs being the face of the media hype machine for 2014.

antitrop

Damn completely forgot about Wolf. Hell yeah that delivered. Can't wait to pick up SoM tomorrow, and Evil Within when it releases.

Wolfenstein is one of those games that seemed to really come together in the last months of development. It apparently didn't demo very well at E3 (even Gies, who gave the game a 9 for Polygon, said as much) and throughout most of last year it was just something in the back of my mind "Oh yeah, that Wolfenstein game from the ex-Starbreeze guys" that was happening, and something I knew looked cool, but nothing that immediately screamed for attention. My sights were squarely aimed at Titanfall throughout most of that post-E3 time.

I believed in the Starbreeze pedigree, though, and they didn't let me down, glad to say. I don't expect The Evil Within to let me down either, I've been looking forward to it since we called it Project Zwei.

Bethesda is treating me pretty alright, this year.

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. The demo I played at the Bethesda event during PAX Prime's days gave me some concerns. I have it pre-ordered in any case..

Well said,

"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail.""

-Jack Burton

fNKfIhm.gif

At the very least, the game looks like it will deliver a long campaign with plenty of location variety. Even if the game has some issues, it's sure to get some props for delivering more than your standard 6 hour affair.

I welcome a cheesy terrible story after destiny.

I'm not passing judgment on the game, I just know there's going to be enough survival horror cheesiness/awkwardness to make people who aren't fans of the genre roll their eyes.

I just finished Siren: Blood Curse and loved it (episode 12's ending @_@) so I think I'm good to go.

Sorry to be "that guy", but any word on resolution on Ps4/Xbox? I remember hearing that both versions will be 30 fps, and the director commenting that both consoles are very "similar" ... Either way, probably gonna pick this up for my Bone next week. been itching for a survival horror game for a long time.

Thanks.

antitrop

Sorry to be "that guy", but any word on resolution on Ps4/Xbox? I remember hearing that both versions will be 30 fps, and the director commenting that both consoles are very "similar" ... Either way, probably gonna pick this up for my Bone next week. been itching for a survival horror game for a long time.

Thanks.

Wolfenstein was also iD Tech 5 and ran 1080p/60fps on both XB1 and PS4, so I wouldn't be surprised if The Evil Within was 1080p/30fps on both systems. Hardly a confirmation, though.

Tango has been super quiet about the details, though. The 30fps confirmation is only from a random developer tweet, even. Not from like an interview or anything.

Wolfenstein was also iD Tech 5 and ran 1080p/60fps on both XB1 and PS4, so I wouldn't be surprised if The Evil Within was 1080p/30fps on both systems. Hardly a confirmation, though.

Tango has been super quiet about the details, though. The 30fps confirmation is only from a random developer tweet, even. Not from like an interview or anything.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply. Didn't iD Tech / Wolfenstein use an adaptive resolution too? I wonder if that'll be the case here also. Either way, I'm betting 1080p/30 for both too. Nevertheless, I need to play some scary games. This and Alien ... Oh boy...

antitrop

Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply. Didn't iD Tech / Wolfenstein use an adaptive resolution too? I wonder if that'll be the case here also. Either way, I'm betting 1080p/30 for both too. Nevertheless, I need to play some scary games. This and Alien ... Oh boy...
Yeah, Wolfenstein did, just like Rage, but shiiiiiiiiit, if Evil Within is dropping from 30 enough to require iD Tech 5's adaptive resolution, there is going to be fucking problems. There should be no need for it. SHOULD being the key word...

Raptor

I hope for all that is good in this world for Mikami to put a Gam+ on this game, sure is great to have survival and all but to blast to eveyrthing in sight destroying in blood and gore every head, legs, torsos available will be glorious for some stress relief damn.

Do it Mikami just do itª!

I hope for all that is good in this world for Mikami to put a Gam+ on this game, sure is great to have survival and all but to blast to eveyrthing in sight destroying in blood and gore every head, legs, torsos available will be glorious for some stress relief damn.

Yeah...I think this game is gonna be doing the opposite of relieving stress.

kodecraft

Buddy...

You've been the head of the hype train for half a year now, proclaimed it your GOTY before you played it, busted out "I told you so"/eating crow talk over a basic gameplay overview trailer, and have assembled a small Los Iluminados cult (complete with red eyes) over various hype/free marketing threads.

There's no way in pluperfect hell you would ever admit this game was less than great, no matter what the metacritic is, or what the GAF impressions were. You have already anointed this thing, and more and more people on this website have noticed it. You wouldn't "eat crow" if they force fed it to you.

Damn!

I agree though. Slash has been going hard but I'm not mad at him, this game I want to be a day one, but I got to wait for others to put the hype in check (reviews)

Ateron

I don't see what's so wrong in being hyped for a game that seems to be doing so many things right, especially if you're a fan of the genre. It won't be a game for everyone, but for those who long for survival horror it will be a treat.

I think it's worse to be so dismissive, almost like seeing other people being so positive is somehow affecting your life. If the game sucks, it sucks. So far, from what they've shown us and considering who's at the helm, there are no reasons to hate the game. Mikami has earned that trust, imo.

What bothers some people might not be a flaw to some, and what someone perceives as a plus might be a minus for others. It's always subjective. This game could score 70 in metacritic and still be one of the best survival horror experiences ever. I can see some reviewers criticizing the game for not always giving you ammo for your upgraded toys. Some might not be aware that you're supposed to improvise and make the best of little you have. Use traps, try stealth, try baiting two enemies and blast them both with a well calculated shotgun blast.

Some might dislike the aspect ratio and dock points for that. Some might not like upgrade system and complain it breaks the flow of the game.

Just like some reviewers might be put off by the harsh nature of the Souls series and the semi-forced MP (invasions). That doesn't make them bad games, far from it.

The problem with many reviewers is that they review a game not for what it is but for what they think it should be, or what they would want it to be. If they think this is supposed to be RE 4.5 they won't like it and the reviews will show. Still, doesn't make it a bad game.

Give me some cool and dark environments, resource management, creepy looking enemies with satisfying shooting feedback, some clever puzzles and I'm set. The story seems to be intriguing and the slight randomization will do wonders for subsequent playthroughs. It's a Mikami game, let's give the man the benefit of the doubt, damnit. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the lack of gifs from the trailer in this thread is disapointing

what happened to you gaf? :(

-MD-

I hope for all that is good in this world for Mikami to put a Gam+ on this game

New game+ was confirmed

the lack of gifs from the trailer in this thread is disapointing

what happened to you gaf? :(

I stopped trying to watch every second of footage so my output stopped, i'm on like semi-blackout mode.

So I guess they are present in the console versions for performance reasons, other than artistic choice?

Can't say, iirc there isn't an in-game option to remove them from the PC version you have to open the console and do it from there.

Top Bottom