• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within: Game of the Year Edition, leaked by Amazon France | September 18th

The first time you fight boxhead in that poison gas, that really was impossible for me with how bad the frames dropped -- especially when running. May have been bearable for you but it definitely had technical issues.

There is no one that says there wasn't technically issues, but people acting like this is Ride to Hell getting a goty edition is silly.

The first time you fight boxhead in that poison gas, that really was impossible for me with how bad the frames dropped -- especially when running. May have been bearable for you but it definitely had technical issues.

?
What version were you playing and when did you play it? I rented the PS3 version back in February and never had a problem with the frame rate in that chapter.

Only tech issues I had with the game were the early chapters and Chapter 6.

They need to add a horde mode. The gunplay was strongly satisfying. And I hope they fix the camera when you are aiming your gun. Didn't like that I couldn't see my character

which version is this? because that chapter was smooth even before patches.
early chapters 2-3 and chapter 6 always had problems and still do but the keeper fight?
I'm honestly shocked, was this pc? because all console versions were smooth for that chapter.

I agree that the game still needs patching in some areas, especially after seeing how the dlc was a rock solid frame rate, but the keeper fight should be smooth.

?
I rented the PS3 version back in February and never had a problem with the frame rate in that chapter.

That chapter was always smooth, they must mean the janky camera and animations because the frame rate is fine on that chapter.

If this game got another patch using the skills they obviously had making the dlc then the game would have no reason for all this hate.
simple camera fix, simple fov fix and a frame rate boost is all it needs.
I was as pissed as everyone else that the game shipped with the problems it had, and still does in parts, but the actual game underneath is really good.

What a load of uninformed hyperbole this thread has piled up already. Going by the posters here it sounds like the worst piece of crap to have released in recent years.

Ride to Hell Retribution mentioned in the same thread... how about you get a life, guys.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It was my GOTY, tho

Picked it up and started a new Nightmare run a couple of weeks ago. Was amazed at how much performance had improved from launch. Letterbox never really bugged me on PS4, but I definitely like it better without

What a load of uninformed hyperbole this thread has piled up already. Going by the posters here it sounds like the worst piece of crap to have released in recent years.

Drive by shit posters are the worst. Comparing this game to Ride to Hell, two worlds, etc. Are you kidding me? Again... the salt in here is reaching critical mass and all over a GOTY edition. People should be happy these versions with all DLC and patches eventually release and not the other way around.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Having complained about the game earlier, I guess I'll clarify that of course there's nothing wrong with releasing a complete edition and honestly who the fuck cares what they call it.

The Season Pass is on sale this week on PSN. I'm currently playing this for the first time without black bars or the film grain filters and it runs well. Still debating on whether I want to get the DLC.

The game itself is also on sale for $20 on Amazon. So the game plus the DLC would be $34, $6 cheaper that the GOTY Edition and you don't have to wait until September to play it. I just re-bought it after hearing about the ability to toggle off the black bars(which I actually like besides for the fact that it really does affect your FOV), and I'm digging it even more than I did on my first playthrough. I turned the grain(which I also like) all the way down as well, which helps the game look a little nicer. I'm also already noticing that I'm finding way more bullets and health than I did on my first play through before the update.

Mifec

I am getting The Evil Within from gamefly today. I am excited to give it a try. It's funny how most of the hate towards the game does not concern the gameplay. I wonder how many of the negative reaction is coming from PC-side gamers.

what? It ran the best on PC and since the update in December of last year you can easily keep it 60 locked no black bars on a good card.

myco666

Will probably pick this up for PS4 and enjoy it again with better visuals than the PS3 version. Great game and easily one of the best games of last year. Sad to see so much hate here but eh can't please everyone.

antitrop

what? It ran the best on PC and since the update in December of last year you can easily keep it 60 locked no black bars on a good card.

Yeah, the PC version has been in a kickass state for a long time now. I played it on PS4 at release and had a great time, despite the obvious performance issues, but replaying the PC version when I picked up a 970 earlier this year was pretty cool.

PS4, after the day one patch. Everything else was relatively smooth, sans the first village at some points.

Any time there is fire on the screen, the framerate would drop like crazy. Especially bad with a particular
Laura
boss fight, where it's one massive fire room. Shit was a slideshow on PS4.

?
What version were you playing and when did you play it? I rented the PS3 version back in February and never had a problem with the frame rate in that chapter.

PS4, after the day one patch. Everything else was relatively smooth, sans the first village at some points. Minor dips don't bother me but it was seriously chugging for a second.

Any time there is fire on the screen, the framerate would drop like crazy. Especially bad with a particular
Laura
boss fight, where it's one massive fire room. Shit was a slideshow on PS4.

That was pretty bad, too, now that I'm thinking of it! You'd think the boss fights would be the tightest encounters, really.

Bl@de

pHldjae.gif

Looking forward to seeing what Tango will bring considering how great their first game as a studio was.

I don't care if it's TEW or a new IP. All I know is: Mikami + Survival Horror = Day 1
Don't need reviews or anything. They announce it, I buy it. He makes the games I love.

BadWolf

I don't care if it's TEW or a new IP. All I know is: Mikami + Survival Horror = Day 1
Don't need reviews or anything. They announce it, I buy it. He makes the games I love.

Survival Horror isn't all he's good at though, wouldn't mind another TPS or character action game out of him.

Will probably pick this up for PS4 and enjoy it again with better visuals than the PS3 version. Great game and easily one of the best games of last year. Sad to see so much hate here but eh can't please everyone.

Yup. What's funny is I believed all the negativity too and didn't pick up the game at first. I finally gave in when I wanted something creepy to play for Halloween. I thought Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor were going to be the better games last year and it turned out I had way more fun with The Evil Within.

I detect no lies in that subtitle.

Only other game to deserve the GOTY title last year would be Bayonetta 2.

Mordor, Wolfenstein, and Tropical Freeze (among a few others) were all pretty good, but those two stand way above the rest.

Hopeford

Speaking of DLC being on sale, the season pass is $9.99 on GMG.

I loved this game dearly and frankly enjoyed it more than RE4. It had a lot of technical issues at launch, but nowadays it's a pretty smooth ride, especially if you play it on PC.

Neff

Drive by shit posters are the worst. Comparing this game to Ride to Hell, two worlds, etc. Are you kidding me? Again... the salt in here is reaching critical mass and all over a GOTY edition. People should be happy these versions with all DLC and patches eventually release and not the other way around.

I think some people are still mad that TEW didn't turn out to be what they assumed it would be ever since hearing about Project Zwei, since the definition of Survival Horror seems to vary a lot from one individual to the next. And I don't doubt that there were big expectations riding on it considering Mikami is the father of the genre.

Personally I got exactly what I expected and wanted- a master of his craft making a superb video game. Would I have preferred a flavour of horror more in line with classic RE? Perhaps, but the gameplay comes first, and that's where TEW excels.

BadWolf

I think some people are still mad that TEW didn't turn out to be what they assumed it would be ever since hearing about Project Zwei, since the definition of Survival Horror seems to vary a lot from one individual to the next. And I don't doubt that there were big expectations riding on it considering Mikami is the father of the genre.

Personally I got exactly what I expected and wanted- a master of his craft making a superb video game. Would I have preferred a flavour of horror more in line with classic RE? Perhaps, but the gameplay comes first, and that's where TEW excels.

RE was hardly ever horror, unless a jump scare sprinkled here and there is your idea of horror.

It was always more action.

Dmonzy

There's a lot of salt in this thread haha.

It was a good game, one of the best last year (which to be fair doesn't say much since there wasn't much competition). I can totally see why it got a goty edition.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Will definitely pick this up as I want to play through the game without the black bars. Played through it twice last year and it's a solid 8.5/10 in my opinion.

Neff

RE was hardly ever horror, unless a jump scare sprinkled here and there is your idea of horror.

It was always more action.

Well yeah, there's no satisfactory definition of horror for anybody. Personally I always considered RE to be really great horror.

I would point out though that the presence of action (or the fusion of any other genre) by no means cancels out the horror. Aliens for example is an action movie par excellence but has very, very specific horror themes. Shit, even a family action movie like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom dabbles in horror.

Hence, RE can be a great example of both.

Brhoom

Banned
Yes? It's comparing apples to oranges really, they are fundamentally different games.
But he said that it won on horror sites, if you think it is better overall fine that is your opinion but in terms of horror TEW has no chance at all against alien isolation or anything related to horror at all.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So if I mention that I disliked the game due to the nonsensical story, performance issues, and gameplay that just didn't click with me, will I too be labelled salty? Because I see that getting thrown around a lot whenever someone mentions that they weren't the game's biggest fan.

It's one of those games that I really want to go back and finish, so maybe one day it'll finally click with me and I'll be able to do so.

But he said that it won on horror sites, if you think it is better overall fine that is your opinion but in terms of horror TEW has no chance at all against alien isolation or anything related to horror at all.

Horror is one of the most subjective metrics out there. I think games like TEW and Dead Space are pretty tense throughout, while games like Outlast aren't scary at all after the first 30 minutes.

Others might think the opposite, because of that I think it is silly to judge games by how "scary" they are.

So if I mention that I disliked the game due to the nonsensical story, performance issues, and gameplay that just didn't click with me, will I too be labelled salty? Because I see that getting thrown around a lot whenever someone mentions that they weren't the game's biggest fan.
Disliking the game is fine, I don't think it is a game for everyone.

Just don't post like the game killed your dog, or something like that.

It's one of those games that I really want to go back and finish, so maybe one day it'll finally click with me and I'll be able to do so.

No, of course not.

As long as you don't resort to hyperbole and pretend it's the worst piece of shit to be released in 2014 then it's alright.
Not liking a game is okay. Just accept that the game wasn't for you and don't act like the it ruined your life or something.

SJRB

Gold Member
Where did it ever win goty?

Slapping "GOTY edition" on your game is a nice way to re-release your shit and scrape in a few bucks.

Best part is that there's no consequence for falsely advertising your game as a GOTY winner.

BadWolf

Well yeah, there's no satisfactory definition of horror for anybody. Personally I always considered RE to be really great horror.

I would point out though that the presence of action (or the fusion of any other genre) by no means cancels out the horror. Aliens for example is an action movie par excellence but has very, very specific horror themes. Shit, even a family action movie like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom dabbles in horror.

Hence, RE can be a great example of both.

Fair enough.

Personally just didn't find the REs scary at all, even the action aspect aside.

Horror is one of the most subjective metrics out there. I think games like TEW and Dead Space are pretty tense throughout, while games like Outlast aren't scary at all after the first 30 minutes.

'Tense' is a great word to describe TEW I think.

The combat, setting and story worked really well together at keeping tension high, and it felt constant and continuous (unlike other games where you often get a breather).

It was one of the main reasons the experience was so memorable for me.

-MD-

Drive by shit posters are the worst.

I'd be curious to know how many of them have even played the game.

I am getting The Evil Within from gamefly today. I am excited to give it a try. It's funny how most of the hate towards the game does not concern the gameplay. I wonder how many of the negative reaction is coming from PC-side gamers.

Definitely the minority, the PC version was excellent.

Hopeford

I wouldn't say was excellent, but it is excellent now. Or at least pretty good. Like at launch(and for 2-3 months afterwards) it was filled with terrible crashes and stuff, not to mention that the remove letterbox option originally just zoomed the display in instead of just actually removing the black bars.

Now though? It's not exactly optimized and there aren't a lot of graphical options, but the game's performance has improved a lot and I'd definitely pick it over the console option. Especially since you can set your resolution to 1920x810 and get a much better FOV(and performance!) to play with. I know there were artistic reasons for the FOV and stuff, but for people like me that got headaches with the super-close letterboxed FOV the PC version is definitely the way to go.

And I remember quite fondly how many here freaked out when we found out that the PC port was outsourced and people started to switch to the PS4 version because they wanted to play a version that's been done by Tango themselves.

Now we see how that turned out. lol

Top Bottom