• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The evolution of the 3D Mario model

AdanVC

The fact that Mario finally has real strands of hair is what I've always seen as the peak of Mario Bros. I'm honestly not a fan of that, tho. I prefer the Mario Party 10/Mario 3D World models. They look just perfect. Cartoony and pleasant to look than any other 3D Mario model. Hope the Oddyssey model grows on me later on.

atbigelow

Really glad he talked somewhat about the learned techniques of animating meshes picked up after the initial 3D games. DS games are neat to look at because they can use a lot of those but with the N64-era amount of polygons.

The SM64 model was quite ugly comparatively but that angular hat is gonna be recognizable to me my whole life.

Whoa!

rbPpmOq.jpg

The Mario that never was.

Vectorman?

vectorman_2012_by_polyraspad-d5177w2.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I feel like Smash 4 (both 3DS and Wii U) is a pretty major omission. I wouldn't be surprised if the highest-poly Mario model was actually not made by Nintendo or Sega, but Namco instead.

Cool video, though.

In general, I think his value add here is the presentation of the models, but he thinks his value add is speaking at high speed and great length over the models. I think in future episodes he should speak less (and certainly not speak just to read out the information we already see on the screen) and do more between-game comparisons. Imagine seeing a lineup of all ten Mario Party models next to each other on a single screen, for instance. I think trading off script-writing and speaking recording time for research time would probably keep the time budget comparable while playing more to the strengths of what the series can author.

Josh7289

I enjoyed that.

The N64 era to GameCube era really was the biggest leap, wasn't it. Diminishing returns after that. Which is not to say the Wii U models don't look noticeably cleaner than the GameCube Smash model, but the relative qualitative difference isn't as large as going from N64 to GameCube.

NeonZ

Brawl had a dark gritty artstyle as a whole, I much prefer Super Smash Bros for Wii U maintaining native art styles rather than trying to mix them all together.

I liked Brawl's attempt at a more unified art style. The only issue were Pokemon, which didn't receive texture or details unlike other characters, and just were stuck with muted colors. I guess it might have been a Pokemon Company limitation? Although they seem to have dropped that by the time of Pokkén.

fastmower

Cool video. I thought the fact that he scoffed at old tech a little annoying - but he did a really good job showing the chronology.

I liked Brawl's attempt at a more unified art style. The only issue were Pokemon, which didn't receive texture or details unlike other characters, and just were stuck with muted colors. I guess it might have been a Pokemon Company limitation? Although they seem to have dropped that by the time of Pokkén.

But Smash 4 does have a unified art style.

A lot of people either love or dislike the Melee model. I think his relative svelteness + longer limbs for attacking makes him a little too tall, though I agree that his denim texture is less overwhelming than Brawl's. Odyssey's denim emphasis may not make it as clean as the 3D World models, but at least it's noticeably enlarged and exaggerated so as not to clash with Mario's cartoony proportions.

This is great. I was always curious about the polygon models of Mario!! Hope he does Link too.

He missed MK8's Mario, though.

Damnit man! This is like the EXACT video I idea I was working on for a Youtube channel. And of course this guys is way higher quality than what I would've put out. Ugh, I can never win...

Good video though. Very informative.

You can easily best this video by including all the Mario models in your analysis instead of just some of them like in this video.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In general, I think his value add here is the presentation of the models, but he thinks his value add is speaking at high speed and great length over the models. I think in future episodes he should speak less (and certainly not speak just to read out the information we already see on the screen) and do more between-game comparisons. Imagine seeing a lineup of all ten Mario Party models next to each other on a single screen, for instance. I think trading off script-writing and speaking recording time for research time would probably keep the time budget comparable while playing more to the strengths of what the series can author.

For all the talk of low poly models designed to be seen far away, I'd have liked to seen them actually far away for context

I feel like a terrible person for not liking mario's face, specifically his creepy eyes in modern mario games. I think he looks fine in Odyssy though.

JaseMath

I think the modeling/art style for the SM3DW was perfect, almost like Mario and company were modeled out of clay.

The Odyssey model, while not bad, skews too much into the details (denim, individual hairs, shiny shoes) and is a step backward if you ask me.

Ive always felt like mario's design took a quantum leap backwards in quality after melee

melee_mario_brawl_mario_by_elijahrcraig-d7zbuie.jpg

His melee model was more or less an actual realization of his N64 renders. Fucking flawless. Notice how he's also tan af like some full blooded Italians.

Then sunshine goofed up his design, then brawl made it worse, then Odessey squashed him down even further and textured the fuck outta hose overalls

Also his mouth is so fucking prevalent in his recent designs and I hate it, no one with a 'Stache that huge and bushy has their entire mouth visible underneath it. His whole face is off, too.

Edit: his head shape has him looking like some jimmy neutron motherfucker
Eww. His Melee model is legitimately terrible. Same with all the other Mario characters in Melee. It was a weird transition period.

Perhaps not a popular opinion but I was super happy they updated the models of Mario 64 to current designs in Mario 64 DS.

Those 64 designs are so far removed from what came after. Not to mention just bad looking.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Really surprised the Mario model in SSB64 has a lower polycount than in SM64 and that the SMG model has a higher polycount than Melee's. :O

Otnopolit

Is anyone a little freaked out about seeing him in T pose?

I mean, he's Mario. It's kinda breaking my world to have never seen him in a T pose until now...

Ive always felt like mario's design took a quantum leap backwards in quality after melee

*image*

His melee model was more or less an actual realization of his N64 renders. Fucking flawless. Notice how he's also tan af like some full blooded Italians.

Then sunshine goofed up his design, then brawl made it worse, then Odessey squashed him down even further and textured the fuck outta hose overalls

Also his mouth is so fucking prevalent in his recent designs and I hate it, no one with a 'Stache that huge and bushy has their entire mouth visible underneath it. His whole face is off, too.

The Melee model for a ton of characters were on point. Always loved that game's art style.

Oblivion

melee_mario_brawl_mario_by_elijahrcraig-d7zbuie.jpg

Yeah, I was never a fan of Brawl's. It's kind of a mess with Mario's prominent mouth, overall darker, grittier aesthetic yet with Mario's weird pale skin color.

Melee's was the coolest Mario's ever looked

Oblivion

Wait, I just realized this dude missed Mario from: Mario Party 10, SSB4, and MK8.

Those are some pretty big omissions.

The Odyssey model, while not bad, skews too much into the details (denim, individual hairs, shiny shoes) and is a step backward if you ask me.

Yeah, I feel the same. Seeing the denim texture and Mario's individual hairs is like zippers on superhero costumes.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Cool video. There are even more Mario models in the platforming games if you consider all his different deaths - Galaxy has flat Mario, skeleton Mario etc.

WillyFive

Perhaps not a popular opinion but I was super happy they updated the models of Mario 64 to current designs in Mario 64 DS.

Those 64 designs are so far removed from what came after. Not to mention just bad looking.

Interesting. I always thought the Mario 64 DS models were a prime example on how to make a worse looking model than its predecessor. Not only were the DS models blocker and stiffer, their super ugly pixelated textures made it look cheap and low-res. By comparison, the simpler and rounder Mario 64 model made it more appealing to the eyes as there were less ugly parts to distract you.

Mario had at least two different models in the Mario Party games on Gamecube. One in 4 and another in the rest. At least I remember Luigi looking noticably different.

So there's a lot of models missing. But I guess he had to choose the ones that seemed most interesting.

I agree that less talk and more models/comparisons would be better.

I'd love to see a follow-up with many more models, including Odyssey when it's out.

Top Bottom