• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Falconer To Run At 4k/60 or 1800p/120 on XSX (1800p/60 or 1080p/120 XSS)

FlyyGOD

I'm not sure if the developer of The Falconeer interview has been posted already but this is amazing news. Microsoft touted 8k but I didn't expect to see any games take advantage of this beside very simple games. An open world game at 8k really shows the power of the gpu.

https://boxden.com/showthread.php?t=2926995

Update:
Ej5kZwjX0AslhwK

Last edited by a moderator:

quest

Not Banned from OT
It will be on my short list for January depending on medium and the ascent. Cyberpunk 2077 is first up of course. Hopefully the medium. Then either this or the ascent. Looks fun.

Guilty_AI

Open world or not, if the graphics are simple enough then its not impossible to run it at 8K. I even remember being able to run Driver San Francisco at 4k in a gtx 970. You can also find people running minecraft at 8K in systems with equivalent specs of the current gen

SirTerry-T

Game looks damned impressive for what is, for all intents and purposes, the work of a one man outfit?
The developer seems like one of those inspired, rocket scientist type developers from the golden age of game development. We could do with more Devs like that around.
Hope the game turns out as good as these previews look.

Last edited:

CuNi

People saying "0 textures", "not really hardware demanding" etc. Salt is real.
Even if all above is true, this game still kicks ass in terms of aesthetics and art style for like 90% of available games, and those 10% that may look better are all capped to 1440p/30.

People attacking this game for low poly art-style etc. are the exact reason why we're getting 500€ consoles that barely manage 4k/30 and probably internally have to resort to dynamic scaling.
I wish the old days back where the next goal for games was not to hit the next resolution in a playable fps matter but actually make fun to play games.

Great Hair

Banned
Wow , the hate for Xbox is so unreal here . I have never seen a page downplay 8K and 60fps like it is bad thing .

The developer is kinda telling everyone

"look, we are yazl.. we could have added more effects, raytracing, more enemies, new levels? more trees? and have it run at blistering 4K60 or 1440p120+ ... but we didnt bother for any QOL and just upressed the resolution to make "good use" of those 12 tera flops".

No one gonna create a thread when Abzu, Journey run at 8K on the PS5, because 8K is bullshit. Just because we can play Half Life 1 in 16K does not mean, its something to get horny about. Looks shite, even at 16K (4K@4xSSAA).

8K = lazy "remaster"

Quasicat

Gold Member
So I wonder if supersampling is a thing for 4K when a source is playing at 8K. Before I picked up a 4K tv, the One X looked better on my 1080p tv than anything else I played. Apparently, this is because of supersampling.

Reindeer

Not sure what the benefit of running in 8K would be today, especially for a simplistic game like this, but it's still cool it can do that on a console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom