• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Announcement incoming...!

8jA57tZ.jpg

No sign of My Neighbors the Yamadas yet though.......

Disney better release it...

Anyone have any ideas on how I can watch Kiki's Delivery Service online? HD hasn't seen it and I'd love to surprise him on our next skype date with it. I can't seem to find it anywhere on streaming services but maybe im just not looking in the right places :/

soothe.

Ocean Waves isn't even out on Blu-ray in Japan! :O

well, technically it is!

if you bought the Miyazaki bluray boxset and mailed ghibli the. . . uh, receipt or something, they would send you the bluray of Ocean Waves.

edit: ooops, i was totally wrong on that! it was on On Your Mark that you could get from buying the Miyazaki boxset. sorry!

Announcement incoming...!

No sign of My Neighbors the Yamadas yet though.......

Disney better release it...

Any word on the likelihood of proper subtitles vs. dubtitles? How close is the english dub to the original, compared to Princess Mononoke? If there are no proper subtitles and the dub is in the vein of the latter, then i'll steer clear of this release and look elsewhere.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone have any ideas on how I can watch Kiki's Delivery Service online? HD hasn't seen it and I'd love to surprise him on our next skype date with it. I can't seem to find it anywhere on streaming services but maybe im just not looking in the right places :/

It's not available anywhere for streaming as far as I know.

Are these with the original dubs? Disney's redubbing just doesn't do it for me.

All of the US Ghibli Blu-rays include the original Japanese dub. I think they also have, like, Spanish and French and stuff if they're available.

Any word on the likelihood of proper subtitles vs. dubtitles? How close is the english dub to the original, compared to Princess Mononoke? If there are no proper subtitles and the dub is in the vein of the latter, then i'll steer clear of this release and look elsewhere.

Unless someone working for Disney says something about the subtitles on Twitter or something, we probably won't know until the Blu-rays are actually released.

I've never watched any Lupin the Third, where do I start and end up?

You're fine just starting with this film. You don't need any prior knowledge of the series to understand and enjoy it (it was designed that way! Based Miyazaki!), but if you wanted to get into the series, Hulu has the first season available for free. It's a great show and definitely worth your time. They also have the other seasons/series and also a bunch of other Lupin movies (including Castle of Cagliostro!!!).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Spirited Away and The Cat Returns apparently have been dated for June 16, according to a poster over @ Blu-ray. com

This hasn't been officially confirmed by Disney though.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Spirited Away and The Cat Returns apparently have been dated for June 16, according to a poster over @ Blu-ray. com

yaaaaaas

Spirited Away is in my top four of Ghibli films and I have a soft spot for The Cat Returns. I watched Whisper of the Heart when the blu came out for the first time and it's probably my least favorite, well that or Tales From Earthsea but isn't The Cat Returns sort of a sequel to Whisper? It's been years since I last watch TCR dvd....

Mitch

Banned
Spirited Away is my favorite, next to Princess Mononoke. Very pleased to see it coming out soon. My last purchase was Princess Kaguya, which was a completely blind buy. Absolutely loved it.

Fjordson

I'm so excited for Cagliostro. Fan of the Lupin show (and of course Miyazaki) but I've never actually seen it.

Are these with the original dubs? Disney's redubbing just doesn't do it for me.
=[

Maybe I am in the minority, but I think Disney does a pretty great job overall dubbing Ghibli's work.

Doombear

Amazon order was just updated with a June 16th release date, so looks like the rumors were likely correct!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Nice!

I'm more than annoyed that Disney isn't releasing My Neighbors the Yamadas alongside Spirited Away and The Cat Returns. It probably means it isn't coming out here in the US. :/

Doombear

Nice!

I'm more than annoyed that Disney isn't releasing My Neighbors the Yamadas alongside Spirited Away and The Cat Returns. It probably means it isn't coming out here in the US. :/

Yeah, I am pretty worried that you are right about that. I haven't seen that one in forever and would love to see it again with my daughter.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, I am pretty worried that you are right about that. I haven't seen that one in forever and would love to see it again with my daughter.

According to the Ghibli Blog, Disney has completely fulfilled their contractual obligations to Ghibli with the release of Spirited Away and The Cat Returns, so a blu-ray release of My Neighbors the Yamadas is extremely unlikely at this point. >:/

FYI for those of you that have Netflix's streaming service.

Kingdom of Dreams and Madness was added. Enjoy!

Awesome! :D Can't wait to check this out in the near future.

According to the Ghibli Blog, Disney has completely fulfilled their contractual obligations to Ghibli with the release of Spirited Away and The Cat Returns, so a blu-ray release of My Neighbors the Yamadas is extremely unlikely at this point.
So will the only way to get it is to import the Japanese version?

cj_iwakura

According to the Ghibli Blog, Disney has completely fulfilled their contractual obligations to Ghibli with the release of Spirited Away and The Cat Returns, so a blu-ray release of My Neighbors the Yamadas is extremely unlikely at this point. >:/

'Contractual obligations'? You'd think they'd be honored.

Eh, just shell out the money and get those really nice Japanese editions of the films you don't have :)

(Yeah, I know, its not an affordable option for most out there considering the insane cost of Japanese Blu Ray's)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If Disney doesn't miraculously decide to release the My Neighbors the Yamadas blu-ray alongside GKids' release of When Marnie Was There later this year/early next year
(LET ME DREAM)
, I'll probably try to import it along with Only Yesterday. Those import prices though...

So will the only way to get it is to import the Japanese version?

Basically, although you could also import the Hong Kong or European versions if you wish, although the Hong Kong version doesn't have the English dub.

For more detailed importing info, check here.

'Contractual obligations'? You'd think they'd be honored.

I've heard that the DVD of My Neighbors the Yamadas didn't sell very well, so I guess Disney doesn't see any sales potential for the blu-ray.

If Disney doesn't miraculously decide to release the My Neighbors the Yamadas blu-ray alongside GKids' release of When Marnie Was There later this year/early next year
(LET ME DREAM)
, I'll probably try to import it along with Only Yesterday. Those import prices though...

Basically, although you could also import the Hong Kong or European versions if you wish, although the Hong Kong version doesn't have the English dub.

For more detailed importing info, check here.
Aren't the European versions Region B locked?

Doc Az

Neo Member
Finally got around to watching The Wind Rises, and what an inspiring piece of cinema that film is. Extremely fitting for Miyazaki's swan song.

Maybe it's just the point in my life that I'm at, but it was so extremely relatable. Actually, it should be relatable to everyone, I mean, everyone has some sort of dream, and accomplishing that dream is all a lot of people focus on.

Very grounded in reality, and for some reason that's how I like my Ghibli movies. Fantasy is great, but a little bit of real life doesn't hurt sometimes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is it safe to say that Disney is pretty much out of the picture at this point?

Pretty much, though I guess there's still a minuscule chance that they'll bring over My Neighbors the Yamadas with maybe Ocean Waves (I'm - probably incorrectly - assuming they have the rights to Ocean Waves despite the fact that they never even bothered to release it on DVD).

Disney 100% will not be releasing the Panda Go Panda films, Chie the Brat, Gauche the Cellist, or Sherlock Hound though.

I thought I read on some blog that with the release of Spirited Away and The Cat Returns Their contract with Ghibli is over. Does that mean someone else can then license Ocean Waves, Yamadas and Only Yesterday and release them here?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought I read on some blog that with the release of Spirited Away and The Cat Returns Their contract with Ghibli is over.

Their obligation to release the agreed upon number of Ghibli blu-rays in the US has been fulfilled. However, even though they're not obligated to, they could still release the other films should they choose to do so. (they most likely won't)

Does that mean someone else can then license Yamadas, Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday and release them here?

It's not clear whether Disney still holds the rights to the latter two films in the US (they definitely still have the rights to Yamadas), although they most likely do, since I'm sure we would have seen them snapped up by another studio a long time ago.

Disney didn't have the rights to Grave of the Fireflies so Sentai Filmworks snatched it up and released the blu as quickly as possible. Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday have never been released in the US, so it'd certainly be a coup to whoever did manage to snag them.

If only Disney would just give up the licences to those two films...(or whatever. I have no idea how that works, lol)

omgkitty

I preordered Ocean Waves and then decided I should order Only Yesterday since it's never going to come out here most likely. I then for whatever reason decided I needed to just try and get all the Japanese Ghibli releases and bought Spirited Away and Nausicaa even though I already own all the US releases. WHAT AM I DOING?!?!

thenexus6

Just watched When Marnie was there, I thought it was very good. Looked and sounded great as always. I have a thing for these "slice of life" and personal discovery films that Ghibli make, I think a lot of them are overlooked a lot of the time.

omgkitty

Just watched When Marnie was there, I thought it was very good. Looked and sounded great as always. I have a thing for these "slice of life" and personal discovery films that Ghibli make, I think a lot of them are overlooked a lot of the time.

Yeah I love stuff like Ocean Waves and Whisper of the Heart. It's the kind of stuff I feel like it doesn't seem that interesting until you actually watch it.

Top Bottom