• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Bosman Show

Raxus

Another thing I wish he would address is waiting on the season pass tends to lead to the packs themselves being discounted. It happened with Bioshock Infinite (Steam) and Mortal Kombat.

Busaiku

As mentioned, you could get individual maps or a group of maps for a discounted price. You couldn't access the latter maps until the individual releases were out.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Name of song at the end? I'm sure it's going to be some royalty free music that nobody knows who the artist is.

emb

Mario and Waluigi. Wow. Soooo goood.

I also liked this quote: "Buying a complete thing feels good. Buying an incomplete thing feels less good." Even if the DLC ends up made later, free, locked on the disc, whatever. Any two ways about it, a game with any DLC will give me that slightly ripped off feeling. I know I'm not totally reasonable there though.

When I try to clock on Bosman's video in the GT app, it takes me to Wolfenstein. When I click on Wolfenstein's box, it also takes me to Wolfenstein.

irF9oPz4XZwos.gif

sasuke_91

Great episode. Buying something before you know if it will even exist or what it's gonna be is really dumb. Most of the time I don't even want the DLC except for one or two.
That play at the end was amazing. Poor Waluigi :(

He's right about the Mario Golf being a better season pass than most because you know what you're buying.

But the fact that it's still Day 1 DLC is really shitty. If the first batch of DLC was still getting polished up and released maybe a few weeks/a month after release, I would see nothing wrong with the season pass.

He already made his hate for Infinite obvious in previous episodes but the way he dismissed Burial at Sea just because it is set in Rapture is really weird because he's usually fair even when talking about things he dislikes. BaS was easily worth $20, it has the total length of your average shooter campaign and it's not like they just recycled assets from the first game.
Though they didn't have to come up with a new concept for a new setting, from a technical point of view building the Rapture in BaS was just as much work as building a new setting. It was created from scratch.
Episode 2's intro also takes place in a new setting which looks absolutely amazing.
Even ignoring Clash in the Clouds which actually had a cool feature presented as a museum to unlock stuff, I don't see how you can argue with BaS's value proposition, I can give you a ton of $60 campaigns that I completed in less time and weren't executed nearly as well.
Kyle seems to be blinded by his hate for this game which is very surprising coming from him though I doubt he even played BaS in the first place which would make it even worse.

You can argue that it wouldn't have sold as much if they announced the content beforehand but from what I've seen here on gaf at least, most people bought it after BaS was announced (myself included). Going back to a pre-war Rapture was an exciting prospect for a lot of fans and buying the pass was $10 cheaper than buying the dlc individually.

You're stupid if you buy passes before knowing what's in them, I definitely agree with that, but if you want an example of a pass with poor value you certainly can do better than Infinite. If you don't like the main game then guess what, more of it wont change your mind, regardless of if it's 5 or 100 more hours.
BaS episode 2 is actually the best part of Infinite by far though, maybe Kyle should give it a try.

georly

He already made his hate for Infinite obvious in previous episodes but the way he dismissed Burial at Sea just because it is set in Rapture is really weird because he's usually fair even when talking about things he dislikes. BaS was easily worth $20, it has the total length of your average shooter campaign and it's not like they just recycled assets from the first game.
Though they didn't have to come up with a new concept for a new setting, from a technical point of view building the Rapture in BaS was just as much work as building a new setting. It was created from scratch.
Episode 2's intro also takes place in a new setting which looks absolutely amazing.
Even ignoring Clash in the Clouds which actually had a cool feature presented as a museum to unlock stuff, I don't see how you can argue with BaS's value proposition, I can give you a ton of $60 campaigns that I completed in less time and weren't executed nearly as well.
Kyle seems to be blinded by his hate for this game which is very surprising coming from him though I doubt he even played BaS in the first place which would make it even worse.

You can argue that it wouldn't have sold as much if they announced the content beforehand but from what I've seen here on gaf at least, most people bought it after BaS was announced (myself included). Going back to a pre-war Rapture was an exciting prospect for a lot of fans and buying the pass was $10 cheaper than buying the dlc individually.

You're stupid if you buy passes before knowing what's in them, I definitely agree with that, but if you want an example of a pass with poor value you certainly can do better than Infinite. If you don't like the main game then guess what, more of it wont change your mind, regardless of it is 5 or 100 more hours.
BaS episode 2 is actually the best part of Infinite by far though, maybe Kyle should give it a try.

Yeah, I just finished burial at sea last weekend, and honestly, I enjoyed it way more than normal bioshock infinite. Burial at sea is what bioshock 2 should have been, basically. Of course, you need infinite to explain elizabeth's time powers, but regardless, I loved it. I especially loved the focus on stealth in episode 2 (I played bioshock 1 as a wrench+stealth build - I even beat atlas using the wrench).

Ezi0

That was a great episode. I agree with Kyle.

Does anyone remember what the first season pass was? I think it was for LA Noire and it was dubbed the Rockstar Pass. That was great value I thought. It listed everything you were going to get and included all the dlc already available for a really good price.

Buying them before the DLC is out is for crazy people but once they are? Eh, they're usually cheaper than buying the DLC individually.

Yeah, it's not like they stop offering the season pass, so after it's all out you can avail yourself of the discount if you decide you want everything.

Yeah, it's not like they stop offering the season pass, so after it's all out you can avail yourself of the discount if you decide you want everything.

The Season Pass for The Last of Us is being removed sometime in mid-May. That's the first time I've ever heard of a Season Pass being discontinued.

Yeah, season passes are definitely at their best after the DLC has been released and you know what you're getting. But there are some games that I know I'll buy all the DLC for anyway (like Borderlands 2), so I'll just buy the season pass since it's a bit cheaper.

It's sort of like the preorder conundrum; sure it's never very smart to preorder a game, but if I know I'll buy the next Deus Ex without even looking at the reviews (because I'm just that easy) I may as well preorder it.

Afrodium

Banned
Kevin Spacey in The new CoD fulfill Bosman's prediction of another game with celebrity faces. He's on a roll with these predictions!

Kevin Spacey in The new CoD fulfill Bosman's prediction of another game with celebrity faces. He's on a roll with these predictions!

Bosman is too good at this. They are no longer predictions. Bosman precognizant confirmed. He is too powerful. We must stop him before it's too late!!!!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing episode. I do agree with Kyle, but I don't really buy Season Passes either way, didn't even buy the TLOU one, and I did get Left Behind, but hey, I got what I wanted, 5 dollars cheaper, and didn't have to worry about not watching Grounded.

Still, for games like BF4, I would like to purchase season pass considering the awesome map packs they do and since I do play it most of the year, I think it would be a nice investment.

"Mario...are we in some kind of hell?"

That needs to be an OT title someday.

Nintendo Digital Event OT

YES. It's bloody perfect hahaha.

I must be the only person in the world who has no problems with the player.
Well almost, less than once per year.

the javascript refresh of the ads on the other hand
Mobile wise I just use Opera as it forces all videos to instead use android os video player instead. That doesn't play the ads in a lot of cases and will still play if you turn off the screen (in 4.0+)

farisr

The Final Bosman accomplished something only Whose Line Is It Anyway (Drew Carey version) has accomplished, which is making me LOL when I'm alone.

Typically, even if I find something really funny, I smile when I'm by myself. But the
"paved paradise put up a parking lot"
got me when he started singing it right after.

I haven't watched the new one yet, but I'm expecting the next episode to be about Nintendo's E3 plans(Which I can see going either way with Kyle). Hopefully we'll get some more "End Crettis" out it lol.

I really enjoyed the critical view of how to treat a character within the established boundaries of a story. To me, that is a major problem with lots of IPs that have functions more related to marketing than to storytelling. Mario Kart 8 looks like a lot of fun, but the roster seems so incredibly cynical and lazy, that it dampens my interest in the game.

border

I think "Gold Peach" and "Baby Rosalina" are stupid and unexciting additions to the game's roster, but I can't really understand Bosman's reasoning here. Maybe someone who loves Mario Kart more can help me understand.

Toy Story 3 effectively ruins its carefully crafted universe and continuity with Buzz Lightyear retcons. It's a mainline entry that makes strange alterations to a central character for the sake of some cornball ethnic jokes. Okay, I get that.

But Mario Kart has always been a big goof. Baby Rosalina isn't any more stupid than Baby Mario or Wario or any of the other nonsense additions to an increasingly cobbled together and nonsensical Mario universe/continuity. Bosman is about 7 Kart games too late to be complaining about respecting the characters.

It's similar to why I never understood people thought it would be inappropriate or disrespectful to add other Nintendo characters (Link, Zelda) into the kart games.

TheHall

I think "Gold Peach" and "Baby Rosalina" are stupid and unexciting additions to the game's roster, but I can't really understand Bosman's reasoning here. Maybe someone who loves Mario Kart more can help me understand.

Toy Story 3 effectively ruins its carefully crafted universe and continuity with Buzz Lightyear retcons. It's a mainline entry that makes strange alterations to a central character for the sake of some cornball ethnic jokes. Okay, I get that.

But Mario Kart has always been a big goof. Baby Rosalina isn't any more stupid than Baby Mario or Wario or any of the other nonsense additions to an increasingly cobbled together and nonsensical Mario universe/continuity. Bosman is about 7 Kart games too late to be complaining about respecting the characters.

It's similar why I never understood people thought it would be inappropriate or disrespectful to add other Nintendo characters (Link, Zelda) into the kart games.

This episode kinda disrespects Kyle's character as a previously good games journalist...

Top Bottom