• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first 4k Blu-Rays suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Shit, I've never actually looked at the frame of the wookiees that closely.

That's not good.

It's sad how actual Star Wars movies have some of ILM's worst work. Anyone that actually hired ILM would consider that wookie shot unacceptable. What is that shit.

Some misconceptions in here. When someone says a film was " delivered in 2K," that doesn't mean that only the CG is 2K. It means final film master is a 2K file.

It may have been captured at a greater resolution, but once the decision is made to finish in 2K everything is downsampled to 2K. The CG, color correction, all of it is in 2K. There are no "4K parts."

Sony has been dedicated to making 4K masters for a while now, but they tend to be the exception.

The other studios' 4K launch titles are mostly up-scaled from 2K masters. Pineapple Express is an up-scale.

20th Century Fox's lineup:

Exodus: Gods and Kings - finished in 2K, as noted in this thread
X-Men: Days of Future Past - finished in 2K
Kingsmen: Secret Service - finished in 2K
Fantastic Four - finished in 2K
Life of Pi - finished in 2K
Maze Runner - finished in 2K
Wild - finished in 2K

Yup. None of the titles that Fox will launch on Ultra HD Blu-ray were finished in 4K.

Hey, remember Jurassic World? The biggest movie of the summer, broke all kinds of records? Finished in 2K. That new Mission Impossible? Finished in 2K.

There ain't that much 4K content out there, kids.

Quoted for new page because people probably don't know a lot of this stuff.

I think there's a lot of people who believe the jump to 4k blu-ray automatically means all their favorite films are going to look 2x as good as their blu-rays, because OF COURSE studios can just go back to the movie and simply rescan everything the way it needs to be. I'm starting to wonder if it might not be a better use of the space to simply allow for way higher bitrates on the 2k material. Essentially make the discs closer to the equivalent of the DCPs issued to theaters.

eLGee

Some misconceptions in here. When someone says a film was " delivered in 2K," that doesn't mean that only the CG is 2K. It means final film master is a 2K file.

It may have been captured at a greater resolution, but once the decision is made to finish in 2K everything is downsampled to 2K. The CG, color correction, all of it is in 2K. There are no "4K parts."

Sony has been dedicated to making 4K masters for a while now, but they tend to be the exception.

The other studios' 4K launch titles are mostly up-scaled from 2K masters. Pineapple Express is an up-scale.

Wild - finished in 2K

Yup. None of the titles that Fox will launch on Ultra HD Blu-ray were finished in 4K.

Hey, remember Jurassic World? The biggest movie of the summer, broke all kinds of records? Finished in 2K. That new Mission Impossible? Finished in 2K.

This is so sad, if true. :(

Ridley327

Life of Pi being finished in 2K is such a tragedy, since it's such a beautiful film. Money-related shortsightedness really sucks.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's kind of the elephant in the room that the studios really don't want to address right now for the technologically attuned. There's really not a lot of effects shots on films done at 4K from what I've read into.

Even the non-vfx shots aren't universally finished in 4K. Far from it. Some of the announced titles were even shot in sub-4K. Plus a few of them were shot in 3D and that's gone.

orioto

Good Art™
Wow this is worse than i imagined. People were really slow and hard to convinced HD was better than dvd to begin with (when it was incredibly obvious with simple comparisons).. The 4K difference is going to be reallly hard to get, when this time, 2k sources will look super good upscaled on a 4k tv, and most 4k sources will be mixed of different things..

Also i fear about the hd effect bluray had at first. You nkow, when we saw for the first time hd transfers of some movies, and we discovered how grainy and crappy was the iq. In 4K we will now see every shot that is not 100% focused correctly and that's more often than it should be in movies. Also the difference in sharpness between special effects and live footage (not specially gfx being 2k, but gfx being super sharp versus live footage not so much). I remember seeing a 4k Transformer demo that gave me that exact feeling.

Now Fincher movies will look good, for sure :p

Also, will animated cgi movie be rendered again at 4k ? I guess that's super costly. Anyway I'm firmly waiting for the first dvd beaver comparisons!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And its hilarity simply can't be appreciated in 1080P.

I mean, the whole point of 4K is the visual spectacle, yeah? So something like Transformers or Jurassic World or Avatar make more sense to get people excited.

Avatar was shot and finished in 1080p. Not 2K... 1080p.

Raistlin

Regarding HDR, don't you have to specifically film in HDR? Are these just some half-baked conversions post-3D style?
While that can be done, you have to remember HD content for even BD is still limited to some pretty now-antiquated standards. Rec 709 color, 8-bit depth, a gamma curve that peaks at 100 nits luminance.

Even 35mm film captures a much larger color gamut and dynamic range. Same can be said with even many older digital cameras. Hell the sensors in our phones probably have a better dynamic range.

So even if legacy content doesn't always fully saturate where HDR and the other features of UHD are going, that doesn't mean there isn't a significant increase in image quality versus what we are used to.

And the important thing to remember is stuff like color and contrast are actually more important than resolution when it comes to perceived image quality. Especially at the FOV most people vote content.

Rootbeer

Banned
I like Pineapple Express but do I really need to see it in 4K (let alone again in any format... Once was enough)?

Give us The Godfather trilogy. That always gets people to jump aboard.

Oh, you know... Star Wars.

TAJ

Boy, I can't wait to see the mess that Attack of the Clones is going to look like in 4K, given that it was shot on a sub-1080p camera.

It was shot with 1080p cameras, but not in 4:4:4 color like RotS.

Wild - finished in 2K

Sony has been pushing hard for the major motion picture studios to move to 4K pipeline and finish films with a 4K DI (Digital Intermediate) but the major studios really don't want to spend the money to move their whole goddamn pipeline to 4K after they've already spent more than decade's worth of money getting onto a fully digital filmmaking process all the way from shooting the movie to uploading the film to the server for the theaters equipped with 4K Digital Cinema projectors to download and present.

Movies shot on film can be remastered for 4K, which is why 4K Blu-ray is going to be an incredible format for movies which predate the digital cinema era. Blade Runner was originally made entirely on film,with physical and optical effects and will only look better the higher the resolution gets. Lawrence of Arabia was completely restored and remastered in 4K a few years ago, I've seen it as it's an available movie for my Sony FMP-X10. It's nothing short of mind-blowing. (Yes, I spent the $500 on that thing. It's a 4K media player where you download the movies onto a hard drive since they are way too big to stream. No, I have no regrets.) The Godfather, Goldfinger, King Kong (original, not Peter Jackson's), Dr. Strangelove, and The Wizard of Oz have all been restored and remastered in 4K or higher and will look amazing as well when released.

A few more recent films were made in 4K from camera files to finished picture. I have Elysium on my X10, the movie is crap but it is truly a 4K motion picture which went through a full 4K pipeline with 4K VFX to a 4K DI. Some other movies went through a 4K DI process but VFX were rendered in 2K and upscaled for the 4K DI process, Spider-Man 2 and 3 are examples of this. Live-action shots of those movies are truly 4K, any CG is however upscaled 2K. The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons are like this too.

Real 4K content is, as you say, going to be scarce in the early going. Once they get those 4K remasters going for movies shot on film, there will be many visible benefits. But The Lord of the Rings for example will never look any better than it does on Blu, there's only 2K DI's of that trilogy. Oh well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Avatar was shot and finished in 1080p. Not 2K... 1080p.
What's the difference?
Is't 2K actually 1920x1080?
4K is 3840x2160

*edit* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

Movies shot on film can be remastered for 4K, which is why 4K Blu-ray is going to be an incredible format for movies which predate the digital cinema era. Blade Runner was originally made entirely on film,with physical and optical effects and will only look better the higher the resolution gets.

I honestly believe that to be a misconception, at least in case of 35mm movies. While it's true that 35mm film theoretically should offer resolution higher than 1080p, all I've seen from movies shot on that film is struggle to get them to appear sharp even in 1080p. Be it the scanning process, camera optics focus or whatever else, that's what the result looks like. Doubly so for older movies where the chemical decomposition has started taking its toll and that were shot on lower quality film.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Also, will animated cgi movie be rendered again at 4k ? I guess that's super costly. Anyway I'm firmly waiting for the first dvd beaver comparisons!
When it comes to Pixar (and probably Disney), it seems like almost a guarantee. If I recall, the BD release of first two Toy Story's were both based off of a 4k render from the render farm of Toy Story 3. Hell, they managed to get Toy Story 1 to render in real time under it.

Other CG movies on the other hand...probably doubtful in DreamWorks' case, given their animation division's financial struggles as of late. Not to mention when doing the 3D re-releases for the first three Shrek movies and the original Kung Fu Panda, unlike Pixar who gave their re-releases a proper 3D render, DreamWorks Passed them on to Legend 3D for conversion work, i.e. converted in the same way flatly shot live action movies do when they're prepped for 3D. So if that's the case for Dreamworks (and potentially a lot of others like Blue Sky), it would seem doubtful outside of Disney.

I honestly believe that to be a misconception, at least in case of 35mm movies. While it's true that 35mm film theoretically should offer resolution higher than 1080p, all I've seen from movies shot on that film is struggle to get them to appear sharp even in 1080p. Be it the scanning process, camera optics focus or whatever else, that's what the result looks like. Doubly so for older movies where the chemical decomposition has started taking its toll and that were shot on lower quality film.
I don't really think sharpness is that big of a deal when it comes to movies in a higher resolution format. What really matters to me is just how much extra detail we can see from them. If every movie had to be all about presenting sharpness in home media, we'd be seeing a lot more edge enhancement than we already have to put up with.

jett

D-Member
What's the difference?
Is't 2K actually 1920x1080?
4K is 3840x2160

*edit* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

Agreed. Even Blade Runner itself, it looks pretty soft and grainy on BD most of the time. I'm not convinced it will be that much of an improvement at 4K.

The Godfather was also mentioned. It also looks really soft on BD. It's really going to depend on each movie individually. Being shot in 35mm is not a catch-all guarantee of eye-opening IQ at 4K. Guess they could re-remaster to try and squeeze better video quality out of some of them.

Then there are other movies on BD that are screaming for being remastered again, like 2001. Despite being shot in 70mm, it also look soft as fuck.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Agreed. Even Blade Runner itself, it looks pretty soft and grainy on BD most of the time. I'm not convinced it will be that much of an improvement at 4K.

The Godfather was also mentioned. It also looks really soft on BD. It's really going to depend on each movie individually. Being shot in 35mm is not a catch-all guarantee of eye-opening IQ at 4K. Guess they could re-remaster to try and squeeze better video quality out of some of them.

Then there are other movies on BD that are screaming for being remastered again, like 2001. I cannot believe that this is the best a 70mm movie can look, because it obviously isn't.
It went through a 4k scan and was stuck on disc with a VC-1 encode with a 13.39Mbps average bitrate in an era where the 30GB HD DVD format shared the HD market. Sure, it already looks good, but why shouldn't it be better than what we already have?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't really think sharpness is that big of a deal when it comes to movies in a higher resolution format. What really matters to me is just how much extra detail we can see from them. If every movie had to be all about presenting sharpness in home media, we'd be seeing a lot more edge enhancement than we already have to put up with.
That's what I meant. You can't see the detail if the transfer looks blurry. Now, stuff shot on 70mm film is another story for sure, but those movies are pretty rare (and as Jett mentioned above, even then there's no guarantee that you'd get perfect transfer from them).

Raistlin

Wild - finished in 2K

There error in this is assuming resolution is the most important aspect of image quality that UHD offers

jett

D-Member
It went through a 4k scan and was stuck on disc with a VC-1 encode with a 13.39Mbps average bitrate in an era where the 30GB HD DVD format shared the HD market. Sure, it already looks good, but why shouldn't it be better than what we already have?

The softness in the current release of 2001 is beyond the effects of a low bitrate. Someone just fucked up somewhere down the chain. During the mastering process, the transfer, the encode, or wherever. It'll probably have to be remastered again, who knows. I don't really know. Probably owes its crap quality to it being an early HD-DVD release, like you mentioned. Honestly, a lot of WB releases from that time look really soft and sometimes downright blurry. I guess people just didn't know what the fuck they were doing back then.

Just give me 4K Fury Road please.

Hah. That's another 2K movie.

Sami+

You sure it was sub 1080? Where did you get this info?

I could at least see Disney uprezzing the CG materials, giving how valuable the series actually is (Prequel or otherwise).

Attack on the Clones was shot on a pretty early digital camera, so 1080p was the highest resolution available on state of the art camera tech at the time. Makes the movie look (more) crap now, but it was a pretty big step for digital film at the time.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Attack on the Clones was shot on a pretty early digital camera, so 1080p was the highest resolution available on state of the art camera tech at the time. Makes the movie look (more) crap now, but it was a pretty big step for digital film at the time.
I know that. I was just referring to the guy who claimed that Clones was shot with sub HD cameras.

The softness in the current release of 2001 is beyond the effects of a low bitrate. Someone just fucked up somewhere down the chain. During the mastering process, the transfer, the encode, or wherever. It'll probably have to be remastered again, who knows. I don't really know. Probably owes its crap quality to it being an early HD-DVD release, like you mentioned. Honestly, a lot of WB releases from that time look really soft and sometimes downright blurry. I guess people just didn't know what the fuck they were doing back then.

WB likes to use de-graining filters and edge enhancement on their encodes. That's what makes them soft and lacking in texture.

Even The Dark Knight had some EE and grain removal going on, this was totally unnecessary for a Blu-ray which integrated the 70mm IMAX sequences but they did it anyways. Keep up the good work, WB.

jett

D-Member
WB likes to use de-graining filters and edge enhancement on their encodes. That's what makes them soft and lacking in texture.

Even The Dark Knight had some EE and grain removal going on, this was totally unnecessary for a Blu-ray which integrated the 70mm IMAX sequences but they did it anyways. Keep up the good work, WB.

Yeah that's it. The Matrix trilogy is another casualty. I would actually qualify that whole thing as looking like proper shit. I loathe EE and DNR. I don't think they do that anymore, though. Mad Max FR looks pristine at least.

There will always be an inherent softness to the movies shot on film with anamorphic Panavision lenses. Some directors liked Panavision, others preferred Super 35 which has the grainy hard-edged look many people associate with Hollywood blockbusters. Either way, you're seeing the movie as it was intended by the director.

Older movies need recovery of negatives and other footage in the best condition it can be found in and then very extensive restoration has to be done before a new master can be struck. But then you look at a film like Blade Runner, that movie looks like it was shot yesterday on The Final Cut Blu-ray. The restoration work done on that film was amazing. Lawrence of Arabia got the same love.

TAJ

This might be stupid but didn't we have movies like Moneyball and a few others on 4K already?

Downsampled to 1080p from 4K. Usually studios don't mention it on the package when they do that.

katkombat

Banned
Downsampled to 1080p from 4K. Usually studios don't mention it on the package when they do that.

Ahh I figured it was something like that since this was a bigger deal. Usually the package says "mastered in 4K" or something similar if I remember correctly which would sound a bit confusing to the average consumer. Thanks

Begbie

From that Sony press release looks like a bunch of catalog titles will also be coming after this initial wave including:

• Ghostbusters
  • The Fifth Element
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Leon: The Professional
  • Lawrence Of Arabia
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Taxi Driver!!!

lupinko

Usually when judging blurays it's about video and sound quality and how good the mastering job is. It also includes specifics about additional content.

Whether or not the movie is any good is irrelevant, since if you're just basing it on quality you can watch it regardless of format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom