• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves - (Good & Bad) Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiphopcr

Official review thread now open here - Sea of Thieves: Official Review Thread

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGN
Mechanically speaking, Sea of Thieves is a showcase of excellent design where a foundation of systems that are accessible, and perhaps overly simple, hide a much deeper function with a little exploration.

Metro GameCentral
It feels worryingly like marketing speak when we put it like this, but Sea Of Thieves really is a different story every time. Reviewing online games is difficult at the best of times but here it’s compounded because no two people are ever going to have the same experience. But even when our incompetence was revealed in the most embarrassing manner we still had a huge amount of fun with the game, and frankly can’t wait to get back to it.

Trusted Reviews
Sea of Thieves is unlike anything I’ve ever played. It offers a multiplayer experience that’s both unpredictable and hilarious with moments that had me cheering in triumph one minute and in hysterical laughter the next.

Last edited by a moderator:

STEaMkb

Also IGN
My biggest concerns moving into the full game are how much structure and repetition is in store for us. The betas’ main progression loops were rinse-and-repeat fetch quests from one of two merchants to earn gold and reputation. While I've spent most of my time since launch doing quests for The Order of Souls (the third company), I'm anxious to see what happens after you pass the initial gameplay loop we were restricted to in the betas. But even with the generous number of beta tests, we’re still left wondering, how much more is there to Sea of Thieves?

Also Trusted Reviews
Armed with a sword, rifle and pistol, the only enemies I’ve encountered thus far are skeletons and sharks. They’re easy to defeat, leading me to worry that hand-to-hand encounters might lack the depth needed to make it as a massively multiplayer excursion. I’m hopefully wrong and Sea of Thieves is hiding a robust system behind its earlier offerings that, to put it bluntly, feel a little disappointing...

I feel its success will be based on its variety of missions and environments. At this stage, it feels like routine treasure hunts will grow tedious and banter between fellow pirates and online battles will be the defining factor. The systems Rare introduces here are fun and innovative, and I only hope they’re expanded enough in Sea of Thieves to warrant revisiting again and again.

And Attack of the Fanboy
Perhaps we’ve yet to see everything. We haven’t quite reached a verdict on the game at this point, there’s still more to see and more to do according to the game itself. Whether that’s actually true or not is another question entirely. At this point, we’re worried that we’ve already seen most of what Sea of Thieves has to offer.

The only way to discover if the game has any depth is to continue playing. For that reason I should not expect any review scores for a number of days. One of best reviews of GT Sport, in light of how important online play was to the game, came from Gamespot because they actually waited 1 whole month before penning a review. It's not often you find reviewers biding their time like that.

Last edited:

Leak

My hopes were just a nice game but til now its just unplayable, crashing after 5-10 minutes each time I start playing, and loosing all the chests and things from my boat when crew members crash at the same time and the session is closed.

I really didnt expected from MS doing such a launch after the MCC incident.

VAL0R

Banned
My hopes were just a nice game but til now its just unplayable, crashing after 5-10 minutes each time I start playing, and loosing all the chests and things from my boat when crew members crash at the same time and the session is closed.

I really didnt expected from MS doing such a launch after the MCC incident.

Dude, you need to drop anchor to stop the boat. It's like the e-brake.

Still think they needed to launch with more content / variety / things to do. First impressions matter.

It's a great foundation of a game but it isn't much more than that right now. And the problem is that as soon as people move on to other games, it's harder to pull them back in.

WaterAstro

lol I like how the OP has selective quoting, with no link, promoting the game, then the first post selective quotes from the same source that makes a counterpoint.

hiphopcr

Still think they needed to launch with more content / variety / things to do. First impressions matter.

It's a great foundation of a game but it isn't much more than that right now. And the problem is that as soon as people move on to other games, it's harder to pull them back in.
Much agree. I'll say that at least, unlike Destiny, the world itself is enjoyable thanks to emergent gameplay. And also, unlike Destiny, all the DLC will be free.

lol I like how the OP has selective quoting, with no link, promoting the game, then the first post selective quotes from the same source that makes a counterpoint.
It's ripped from metacritic.

Every reward being cosmetic with no real progression or stat system = Who Cares: The Game.

I get that it’s all about the socialization, but there needs to be more to keep players in.

Algorum

Neo Member
This game has plenty of legs to become a classic and even if the content available is just okay I’m sure they will evolve on it plenty during the next few months or even years.

Warframe is the best example here but it will all depend on how Rare is quick to push constant updates to keep the experience fresh.

RARE IS BACK BABY!

32C0A578-EE9B-4F63-9FE1-B3099653C3D6.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Every reward being cosmetic with no real progression or stat system = Who Cares: The Game.

I get that it’s all about the socialization, but there needs to be more to keep players in.

Isn't overwatch progression purely cosmetic? People seem to keep playing that. (Shrugs)

It seems like the Rare I grew up loving is back in a big way after a decade and a half of mostly mediocrity with a few good games here and there. This makes me so happy.

WaterAstro

It's not even a social game. There isn't enough features to support socializing and pvp. No hostage taking, no trading, no reason to have teamwork beyond your own crew, and the servers are really limited that you don't really see that many people.
Isn't overwatch progression purely cosmetic? People seem to keep playing that. (Shrugs)
Overwatch is a competitive game. What the hell kind of comparison are you trying to make?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's not even a social game. There isn't enough features to support socializing and pvp. No hostage taking, no trading, no reason to have teamwork beyond your own crew, and the servers are really limited that you don't really see that many people.

Overwatch is a competitive game. What the hell kind of comparison are you trying to make?

That cosmetic rewards are fine for a lot of players.

The hate mongering by some people for this is unreal.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

Seems like you have no idea what you are talking about, maybe you should buy the game and play some before commenting. I encountered a ship almost every 2-3 chests last night. It’s the ocean, not a freakin highway! And the fact it has no stats means it’s purely skill based long term once you reach harder quests. No fake “difficulty” because you didn’t grind for the best gear.

I had to force myself to stop playing last night, game is a blast to play. I had a big smile on my face the whole time I was playing with my brother and his friend, it’s been a really long time since I’ve had this much actual fun with a video game. No hand holding, no hour long cinematics, just pure old school gameplay and discovery. This is exactly the type of game we need right now and I’m glad Rare kept to their design philosophy and didn’t try I do what people expected.

If you don’t see the fun in this game I feel really bad for you.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

This is my main worry. I just don't see what going to make me keep playing feverishly like other games do. I'm not chasing loot that matters really. Not chasing a level or stats. Hell, I'm not even chasing a story. The game might be too free for me.

WaterAstro

Seems like you have no idea what you are talking about, maybe you should buy the game and play some before commenting. I encountered a ship almost every 2-3 chests last night. It’s the ocean, not a freakin highway! And the fact it has no stats means it’s purely skill based long term once you reach harder quests. No fake “difficulty” because you didn’t grind for the best gear.

I had to force myself to stop playing last night, game is a blast to play. I had a big smile on my face the whole time I was playing with my brother and his friend, it’s been a really long time since I’ve had this much actual fun with a video game. No hand holding, no hour long cinematics, just pure old school gameplay and discovery. This is exactly the type of game we need right now and I’m glad Rare kept to their design philosophy and didn’t try I do what people expected.

If you don’t see the fun in this game I feel really bad for you.
Was it the same ship? lol The servers are limited to 16 players max. You aren't seeing many ships. You're seeing like one ship that's just respawning over and over.

You're about to discover that there's nothing beyond a day of playing. Anyone without an xbox-tinted glasses will get to a realistic conclusion not too far in the game. You see the first post? There is skepticism about its longevity, and some streamers are already done with the game since it hasn't change much from the beta.

demigod

I see people hyping this game up like there's no tomorrow, then I hear that they're going to Game Pass it, lol. Way to support your devs guys!

User warned for this post
It’s easy being an Xbot and worshipping the fuck out of this since y’all haven’t had a decent exclusive since Cuphead. If that even counts since it was on PC.

Halo Wars 2 then? Yikes. Shit I don’t blame you.

First impressions:
IGN

Metro GameCentral

Trusted Reviews
After a few hours:
Also IGN

Also Trusted Reviews

And Attack of the Fanboy

The only way to discover if the game has any depth is to continue playing. For that reason I should not expect any review scores for a number of days. One of best reviews of GT Sport, in light of how important online play was to the game, came from Gamespot because they actually waited 1 whole month before penning a review. It's not often you find reviewers biding their time like that.

Looking forward to checking back on this thread in a week, because this game has a hell of a honeymoon period.

Last edited:

-MD-

Do you only play games with stat progression? Seems pretty limiting.

hiphopcr

Well this got nasty fast. All for a game you can try for $10, has no loot boxes, free DLC, is completely original, and based solely around having fun

Alx

I see people hyping this game up like there's no tomorrow, then I hear that they're going to Game Pass it, lol. Way to support your devs guys!

Well it is indeed a good way to support your devs. Rare is first party, so it's less important for them to sell the game at full price. But it is important for the game to have a large community, and adding it to Game pass does exactly that.
Also it works both ways, since adding major first party titles to Game Pass supports the subscription model.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Quick thoughts:

- art style is gorgeous
- character designs are brilliant
- such an all round lovely looking game
- sod all to do... this world is so bare in terms of gameplay, I don’t even know how to comprehend it.
- that character creation process is possibly the worst j have ever had to use.
- it’s pretty much fetch quest the game.
- I love the lack of tutorials and such but... I hate the lack of tutorials and such. No UI elements to help navigation, still no map you can hold?
- the X patch features are awful, with jittery frame rate, lag spikes and that oh so horrible tearing.
- this is the exact same game as the beta...

Put me in the camp that paid for the game and not gamepass and feels robbed. I have a horrible feeling this just may be what sinks Microsoft publicity wise. Why play this when you can get just as much barebones content from other titles at a fraction of the price?

Why do I keep buying games day one?! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 127 times......

INC

Quick thoughts:

- art style is gorgeous
- character designs are brilliant
- such an all round lovely looking game
- sod all to do... this world is so bare in terms of gameplay, I don’t even know how to comprehend it.
- that character creation process is possibly the worst j have ever had to use.
- it’s pretty much fetch quest the game.
- I love the lack of tutorials and such but... I hate the lack of tutorials and such. No UI elements to help navigation, still no map you can hold?
- the X patch features are awful, with jittery frame rate, lag spikes and that oh so horrible tearing.
- this is the exact same game as the beta...

Put me in the camp that paid for the game and not gamepass and feels robbed. I have a horrible feeling this just may be what sinks Microsoft publicity wise. Why play this when you can get just as much barebones content from other titles at a fraction of the price?

Why do I keep buying games day one?! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 127 times......

I'll stick to watching youtube vids of it then tbh

EBE

You can play for free right now when the population is at its highest with the Game Pass trial. Just remember to turn autorenew off.
I unfortunately wouldn't have much time to play now anyway with my studies and other things. But gamepass isn't something I'm really interested in at the moment, as amazing a value as it is. It's a neat way to rent a few games though.

Superkewl

Gold Member

Yeah, this is my fear as well. Played in a couple of betas and was bored to tears after a couple hours.

WaterAstro

Well it is indeed a good way to support your devs. Rare is first party, so it's less important for them to sell the game at full price. But it is important for the game to have a large community, and adding it to Game pass does exactly that.
Also it works both ways, since adding major first party titles to Game Pass supports the subscription model.
Actually, because they are first party, it's more important for them to sell the game because Microsoft is ready to put any studio on the chopping block.

Tenshin

Main concern is for sure in the past few hours it will be great, but what does it do to keep people playing after a while? Unlike warframe , diablo and the division ypubstrive for better gear not just cosmetics.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Actually, because they are first party, it's more important for them to sell the game because Microsoft is ready to put any studio on the chopping block.
The more game pass owners they have the better it is for them in the long run. Game pass has the potential of bringing in more money than actual game sales with the right amount of subscribers.

Can’t wait to see what your next reply is going to be. Haven’t seen this much shit posting in a while. Are you and thelastsword related by any chance?

WaterAstro

The more game pass owners they have the better it is for them in the long run. Game pass has the potential of bringing in more money than actual game sales with the right amount of subscribers.

Can’t wait to see what your next reply is going to be. Haven’t seen this much shit posting in a while. Are you and thelastsword related by any chance?
LOL! You think game pass is solely for supporting Sea of Thieves? get real. Microsoft would rather see that $60 purchase than a $10 rental. Do you really think Microsoft is going to stand around doing nothing after canning Lionhead and cancelling Scalebound? If Sea of Thieves isn't a crazy seller at the level of Destiny, Rare is in huge trouble.

And I don't need to shittalk the game. I'm objectively stating what everyone's going to find out. The game doesn't have enough content to last a couple of a weeks. I've been saying this since the first beta.

hiphopcr

This is absolutely the case. It's also bigger than Xbox. This is a game changer for the industry. Microsoft is the only one not doing business as usual.

This doesn't look like people enjoying. This looks like the carefully curated quotes you find on the back of the game box.
I disagree. It's a charming game and something different. Rare is a cherished developer because of their past. It's a perfect game with uncompromising pixels. ;-)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well this got nasty fast. All for a game you can try for $10, has no loot boxes, free DLC, is completely original, and based solely around having fun

Nah, there are only the two same people who have been hating on the game since the alpha/beta. I would just ignore them.

Enjoying my time with the game personally. Very relaxing to hop on, sail across the oceans and do quests. Finding random people and engaging in a good old fashioned parley is fun (as is having my buddy sneak explosive barrels into their ship while they aren't looking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom