• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Omen trailer

DrFigs

When people make movies like this, i wonder if they realize that catholicism is an actual religion.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Was it a problem with my viewer that the entire thing was played in reverse or was it "artistic choice"?

And is that the chick from Servant? If so, she had some good bits in that show.

I feel the Devil is kinda blase' these days. Like he would show up, look around and see what the Western world is doing to itself, and kinda think "well, all according to keikaku" and just head back down to Hell.

SirTerry-T

It's got to be better than the last attempt at an Omen remake/reboot, right?

Edit-just watched trailer... guess that's a firm "No" then. Looks like a sack of shit.

Edit 2-and if this is a prequel to the first film, wouldn't that basically be the story of how Satan decided to fuck a Jackal bitch... possibly after a drunken night out.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I really liked Nell Tiger Free in Servant (before the quality of that show greatly decreased). She's good a playing mysterious/creepy characters so that's definitely good casting.

I'm still cautious, modern remakes/sequels of classic horrors often end up awful (recent example - new Exorcist flick).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
because they treat nuns and priests like its a magical cult.
So they did their research, good :).
It depends who they talk to, but in former majorly Catholic countries like Italy (practicing Catholics are shrinking in numbers but they hold a lot of political power) you can meet some of the more and the less cultish ones for sure ;).

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

This is going to sound ... maybe bad, but... Catholicism is not Christianity while dressed up as such.

The Bible is clear on how to worship... Catholicism adds things that are contrary to the infallible Bible. Like praying to saints, Angels and Mary... none of whom are God. They have confession... which you don't need an intermediary for. You can confess straight to God aka Yahweh or Jehovah (Yehovah). And why Latin? That isn't the mother tongue of all languages... So much of it makes no sense when you look at it through a Biblical lens. My bio-family members (most of them) jumped that ship years ago. I remember going to a catholic church once and, while beautiful, made no sense. I felt uneasy there.

I apologize for making anyone upset.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
This is going to sound ... maybe bad, but... Catholicism is not Christianity while dressed up as such.

The Bible is clear on how to worship... Catholicism adds things that are contrary to the infallible Bible. Like praying to saints, Angels and Mary... none of whom are God. They have confession... which you don't need an intermediary for. You can confess straight to God aka Yahweh or Jehovah (Yehovah). And why Latin? That isn't the mother tongue of all languages... So much of it makes no sense when you look at it through a Biblical lens. My bio-family members (most of them) jumped that ship years ago. I remember going to a catholic church once and, while beautiful, made no sense. I felt uneasy there.

I apologize for making anyone upset.
I'm apatheist but I was brought up Catholic. From my understanding Catholics ask saints and the virgin Mary to intercede on their behalf I don't know that it qualifies as praying/worship but it doesn't really matter I suppose.
Whether God exists or doesn't God has never made a difference in my life one way or the other. I feel uneasy at any church I go to but especially those modern Mega churches they creep me the fuck out.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm apatheist but I was brought up Catholic. From my understanding Catholics ask saints and the virgin Mary to intercede on their behalf but it doesn't matter.

Whether God exists or doesn't God has never made a difference in my life one way or.the other. I feel uneasy at any church I go to buy especially those Mega churches they creep me the fuck out.

They creep me out now too. Not just the sheer size of them but also because it's all about the dollar and how much of them they can get! But also about spreading false messages that have nothing to do with Jesus' message of love and doing right by others.

I understand your take and respect it. One of my best friends is atheist (actually two) ... And I love them A LOT! I'm trying to follow in Jesus' footsteps

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Apparently this is quite good. 82% on RT, very high for a modern day horror remake.

Overall
* Body horror that pushes the R rating to its limit (The movie was originally NC-17 rating)
* Fantastic lead performance
* Great atmosphere, succeeds in emulating 70s films
* Great imagery
* Very few cheap jumpscares
* Lots of praise for Stevenson's directing
* Great Score
- Incredibly predictable
- You can feel the movie bending backwards to try to be a lead up into the original movie
- Does not line up super well with the lore/continuity of the original trilogy
- Some reviews feel like it could have been significantly better had it not been bogged down by the IP

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Apparently this is quite good. 82% on RT, very high for a modern day horror remake.

Overall
* Body horror that pushes the R rating to its limit (The movie was originally NC-17 rating)
* Fantastic lead performance
* Great atmosphere, succeeds in emulating 70s films
* Great imagery
* Very few cheap jumpscares
* Lots of praise for Stevenson's directing
* Great Score
- Incredibly predictable
- You can feel the movie bending backwards to try to be a lead up into the original movie
- Does not line up super well with the lore/continuity of the original trilogy
- Some reviews feel like it could have been significantly better had it not been bogged down by the IP

I will wait to see what the general community thinks. Not what mentally challenged “critics” think.

Hoping it will be good, but I have been burned too many times on horror films over the last few years.

Last edited:
Just got back from seeing it. It was a pleasant surprise.

I wasn't too invested in the first half but when it picks up, it fucking picks up.

Slightly confused about how some of the characters tie in with the original. It's been a while since I've seen it so I'm due for a rewatch.

Top Bottom