• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first TMNT movie is still the greatest superhero movie of all time

Soltype

I can't say it's the greatest, but it was far better than it had to be.They really could have released garbage and made money, but they decided to make a competent film.The fight work was solid and the movie had a serious tone as well as heart.It's definitely leaps and bounds better than any of the other films in the series.

Last edited:

120v

dunno if I'd put it up with "superhero movie" greats but it holds up incredibly well considering the source material. Rewatching it recently I kept thinking to myself holy shit this is actually an honest to god decent film

Its relatively gritty take does clash with the "ninja turtle"-ness of it all, like what kind of ruthless crime org doesn't use guns but end of the day it's a kids movie so whatever

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It really is a perfect mix of grittiness and seriousness while keeping it fun. You felt like they could actually die on the rooftop fight scene

The second was ok but the 3rd was shit.

Duo VII

Neo Member
It really was, but holy shit, I've always hated/resented the actor that played Robbie. The Casey Jones stuff was great. A lot of fans grew to love Raph because the movie's basically about him, but damn. Spot on about the soundtrack. That synth score, especially during that rooftop/apartment fight, ugh! Fucking great. I wish Shredder was a little but more physical with his fighting (same dude from Lost's Dharma Initiative videos). Anyone else stupid enough to be buying the 16 inch Neca figures?

5Br25Yw.jpg

As a kid, I always wanted the cartoon turtles on the big screen. Where’s Krang? Bebop and Rocksteady? Then, as I grew older, I now appreciate the filmmakers going with the darker tone of the comics.

t-storm

And the best movie soundtrack of all time to go with it

Discuss
There is nothing else to discuss... you nailed it.

Thank you and goodnight.

T-U-R-T-L-E

POWER

T-U-R-T-L-E

POWER

T-U-R-T-L-E

POWER

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

POWER

There's a power in the feeling

A power in the sound...

It's risin' up from the underground...

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Still so watchable. I rewatched it recently for the first time in years and was surprised to realise that I could recite every scene word for word. I even knew when the music cues would come in.

Lol!

There is nothing else to discuss... you nailed it.

Thank you and goodnight.

T-U-R-T-L-E

POWER

T-U-R-T-L-E

POWER

T-U-R-T-L-E

POWER

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

POWER

There's a power in the feeling

A power in the sound...

It's risin' up from the underground...

Don't forget 9.95

Being a kid in the 90s and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan, I remember loving the TMNT movies. I have recollections of them being pretty good, though I've not seen them since. Might be that's because the fascination regarding TMNT petered out as you grew older and newer things became popular. I might have to watch them again, to get an appreciation of them and perhaps remember more about my experience of it. I at least know that I was definitely not close to old enough to watch it according to the rating.

What was everyone's favorite Turtle? I think Mike was my overall favorite, though Leo had swords which made him a bit more fun to play with in terms of action figures.

jadedm17

As a TMNT fan since 2 years old who went to each movie in theatres and saw the rock concert live.... Yes.

Dark Knight and Iron Man 1 are still the greatest experiences to me to be honest, with Guardians of the Galaxy close behind.

I don't know the best but top 5 easy.

The TMNT collection of the original comics and IDWs remaining are worth checking out for turtle fans too; And that Batman TMNT crossover book was fantastic - especially the art.

Soltype

Can't believe how much they messed up the 3rd one.They had a real chance at making a Turtles in Time movie and they blew it.

Kallen0667

Neophyte
i was always amazed at how flexible the suits were, very impressive range of movement. and im one of the few that liked part 3.

caffeware

Banned
Can't believe how much they messed up the 3rd one.They had a real chance at making a Turtles in Time movie and they blew it.

Yep. They got this massive amount of characters they can make a story with, but nope. They decide to go back in time and fight generic samurais.

Last edited:

Catphish

The thing I liked most about it was that, aside from the color scheme, it stayed pretty true to the comic. Everything after that was absolute bananas, however.

TMNT (and other more violent early 90s movies like New Jack City) made me scared as hell of New York as a kid lol. I imagined it a crime hellhole where there was never any sun and people regularly got shanked in the streets haha.

And yes, I had TMNT action figures and TMNT comics and watched that Krang-focused TMNT cartoon. Pretty sure I ate more pizza cuz of TMNT. I think I was even a ninja turtle one year for Hallowe'en, too (I was usually a GIJoe character haha). I was mostly a G.I. Joes kid but TMNT was the only thing that ever really replaced it for a while. Oh, and fuck TMNT the NES game (and fuck electric seaweed).

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Does Blade count as a superhero movie? While a comic book character, he was originally from a horror comic, not superhero.

But if so, that's it. And that the soundtrack included a song (well, remix) by The Pump Panel means it has the best soundtrack. I mean, how many movies, for a club scene, actually go and find an obscure artist that would actually be played in an underground club?

Osukaa

Amazing movie, still have great memories of seeing it at the cinema.
Me to I remember my dad took me and my little brother and we loved it. It's got a special place in my memory. Might not be the best of all time but its up there for me. Jeeze I just realized how long ago it came out and I feel so old now haa haa!! Time flies !

OH-MyCar

Amazing movie, still have great memories of seeing it at the cinema.

Same here. My parents would never take me to the movies, for anything, so when TMNT rolled around I told multiple kids at school in the same situation that "my parents were going to take us to the theater" later that evening. I wasn't going to miss it for anything (especially since it was the 80/90s and it took a long time for things to come out on VHS). After having four kids dropped off on my doorstep, my parents didn't have a choice.

I was grounded for a long time after that.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Same here. My parents would never take me to the movies, for anything, so when TMNT rolled around I told multiple kids at school in the same situation that "my parents were going to take us to the theater" later that evening. I wasn't going to miss it for anything (especially since it was the 80/90s and it took a long time for things to come out on VHS). After having four kids dropped off on my doorstep, my parents didn't have a choice.

I was grounded for a long time after that.
Lol, that’s gold!

Chiefonthis

Neo Member
One of the first movies I saw with childhood friends in a theater. We had a blast and when it was out on VHS we watched it a bunch of times. Casey Jones was so good in this that even to this day I will watch anything with Elias Koteas.

Superhero movie? I guess they are technically, I certainly prefer them to most of the Comic book junk. Honestly I kinda find the second one more amusing, but I still get a kick out of both of them.

Batjag

Of all time? Of course not.

But- if we're just talking best superhero movie of the 90's - it just might be.

The OG TMNT movie was great, but not the all time greatest superhero movie, imo. The Incredibles say hello. So fucking hyped for The Incredibles 2.

Top Bottom