• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The First White President": Ta-Nehisi Coates on Trump

entremet

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...irst-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/

It is insufficient to state the obvious of Donald Trump: that he is a white man who would not be president were it not for this fact. With one immediate exception, Trump's predecessors made their way to high office through the passive power of whiteness—that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them. Land theft and human plunder cleared the grounds for Trump's forefathers and barred others from it. Once upon the field, these men became soldiers, statesmen, and scholars; held court in Paris; presided at Princeton; advanced into the Wilderness and then into the White House. Their individual triumphs made this exclusive party seem above America's founding sins, and it was forgotten that the former was in fact bound to the latter, that all their victories had transpired on cleared grounds. No such elegant detachment can be attributed to Donald Trump—a president who, more than any other, has made the awful inheritance explicit.

His political career began in advocacy of birtherism, that modern recasting of the old American precept that black people are not fit to be citizens of the country they built. But long before birtherism, Trump had made his worldview clear. He fought to keep blacks out of his buildings, according to the U.S. government; called for the death penalty for the eventually exonerated Central Park Five; and railed against ”lazy" black employees. ”Black guys counting my money! I hate it," Trump was once quoted as saying. ”The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day." After his cabal of conspiracy theorists forced Barack Obama to present his birth certificate, Trump demanded the president's college grades (offering $5 million in exchange for them), insisting that Obama was not intelligent enough to have gone to an Ivy League school, and that his acclaimed memoir, Dreams From My Father, had been ghostwritten by a white man, Bill Ayers.

It is often said that Trump has no real ideology, which is not true—his ideology is white supremacy, in all its truculent and sanctimonious power. Trump inaugurated his campaign by casting himself as the defender of white maidenhood against Mexican ”rapists," only to be later alleged by multiple accusers, and by his own proud words, to be a sexual violator himself. White supremacy has always had a perverse sexual tint. Trump's rise was shepherded by Steve Bannon, a man who mocks his white male critics as ”cucks." The word, derived from cuckold, is specifically meant to debase by fear and fantasy—the target is so weak that he would submit to the humiliation of having his white wife lie with black men. That the slur cuck casts white men as victims aligns with the dicta of whiteness, which seek to alchemize one's profligate sins into virtue. So it was with Virginia slaveholders claiming that Britain sought to make slaves of them. So it was with marauding Klansmen organized against alleged rapes and other outrages. So it was with a candidate who called for a foreign power to hack his opponent's email and who now, as president, is claiming to be the victim of ”the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history."

Long article but there is also an audio version. Pretty nifty. Some evisceration from Coates.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Coates usually spits hot fire in his pieces, afraid I'm going to get a burn from this one.

llien

giga

MSIGHI9.png

Yep. The term escapism nails it and much of our country refuses to admit it.

Sykane

Erm, I know a number of white man living in USA, who, for some reason, are yet to become presidents of USA.

Does that at all detract from what he said, or make it untrue in any way? Or do you honestly believe Trump would be President if he was any shade of brown? Again, as it is clearly stated in the article, one of the most educated and articulate presidents ever was forced to prove he was a citizen of this country, i'm sure that had nothing to do with the color of his skin either???

Plumbob

Erm, I know a number of white man living in USA, who, for some reason, are yet to become presidents of USA.

"He would not be President if he were not a white man"

is not the same as

"If someone is a white man, he is president"

entremet

This shit needs to be preached from the highest mountains, in every church, and covered in school class rooms everywhere.

It's funny, but Coates has that writing style of an Old Testament prophet, chastising Israel to repent of her sins, but using modern vernacular and targeted at racism. The idiom and use of metaphor make it so.

This shit needs to be preached from the highest mountains, in every church, and covered in school class rooms everywhere.

Preaching this from the highest mountains in the United States will get you killed. This country is not prepared to confront any of this. We are country founded on genocide, racism and violence. To confront that with an open heart is to acknowledge the darkness from which most of this country was born.

llien

"He would not be President if he were not a white man"

is not the same as

"If someone is a white man, he is president"

That's clear. Essentially he said that Trump would not become president, if he wasn't white or male.

I don't really think so, and that's just my opinion, of course. I perceive Trump as an all out opportunist. He doesn't really stand for anything concrete, there is a goal and there are opportunities to use. Had he not been white, he would have used his skin color to his advantage. One could argue that racism in US would not have allowed him to become so popular, but there is Obama.

What I said was that being white or male doesn't really help you become a president that much.

Trump is a racist piece of trash, he didn't say that exact quote on the first card though. See Snopes.

According to WP article, most quotes there are indirect, although I think he likely did say that.

thefro

The point that there would never be a black facsimile of Donald Trump who could get elected was my favorite point of many.

Eidan

The part that hit me hardest.

To Trump, whiteness is neither notional nor symbolic but is the very core of his power. In this, Trump is not singular. But whereas his forebears carried whiteness like an ancestral talisman, Trump cracked the glowing amulet open, releasing its eldritch energies. The repercussions are striking: Trump is the first president to have served in no public capacity before ascending to his perch. But more telling, Trump is also the first president to have publicly affirmed that his daughter is a “piece of ass.” The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape (“When you’re a star, they let you do it”), fending off multiple accusations of such assaults, immersed in multiple lawsuits for allegedly fraudulent business dealings, exhorting his followers to violence, and then strolling into the White House. But that is the point of white supremacy—to ensure that that which all others achieve with maximal effort, white people (particularly white men) achieve with minimal qualification. Barack Obama delivered to black people the hoary message that if they work twice as hard as white people, anything is possible. But Trump’s counter is persuasive: Work half as hard as black people, and even more is possible.

Christian

That's good...real good.

99% of the people in the south that would read that wouldn't understand what it is saying.

Unfortunately....

Sometimes after reading Coates, I almost worry for his safety. And then I realize, the people that would likely do him harm probably can't understand what he's saying, anyway.

Love Coates. He's a national treasure.

daveo42

Banned
Preaching this from the highest mountains in the United States will get you killed. This country is not prepared to confront any of this. We are country founded on genocide, racism and violence. To confront that with an open heart is to acknowledge the darkness from which most of this country was born.

It's about damn time we face the disgusting parts of our nation that have hidden in the shadows out in the open. They've been festering for well over two centuries.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That's clear. Essentially he said that Trump would not become president, if he wasn't white or male.

I don't really think so, and that's just my opinion, of course. I perceive Trump as an all out opportunist. He doesn't really stand for anything concrete, there is a goal and there are opportunities to use. Had he not been white, he would have used his skin color to his advantage. One could argue that racism in US would not have allowed him to become so popular, but there is Obama.

What I said was that being white or male doesn't really help you become a president that much.

I still don't think you get what Coates was saying if this is your take.

entremet

Sometimes after reading Coates, I almost worry for his safety. And then I realize, the people that would likely do him harm probably can't understand what he's saying, anyway.

Love Coates. He's a national treasure.

America is in a rough spot, but we're not NK bad yet lol.

Also, Trump's supporter and benefactors don't read Coates.

Crocodile

I read this and came here to see if a thread had been made about it and I wasn't disappointed. It really outlines how fucked our country is, makes me concerned for the future and depresses me. These words needed to be written though and bless Coates for his work. I pray others, especially those with influence and power, will read this but I'm concerned many will continue being apologists for the dark forces at work in this country.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
That's good...real good.

99% of the people in the south that would read that wouldn't understand what it is saying.

Unfortunately....

Funny you mention that, in my class yesterday, we were discussing communication in my intro to health care business course and I surprised my students by showing them that presidential speeches are aimed at a 6th-8th grade level. Why? That's the average reading level here in the United States currently.

Also, I hate how well this man writes. I'll read later.

According to WP article, most quotes there are indirect, although I think he likely did say that.

I'm going to make the claim here that you're 100% wrong. 44 white male presidents to one black one. There's no way Trump could say the things he says as a woman and get elected. If he was black, white people everywhere would have called him a dangerous nutjob. I really think you're living in a fantasy world making this claim.

theWB27

Quick...stop while you're behind.

Karkador

Banned
I don't really think so, and that's just my opinion, of course. I perceive Trump as an all out opportunist.

Opportunities he got as a white man

He doesn't really stand for anything concrete, there is a goal and there are opportunities to use.

He doesn't have to, because he's the type of status quo privileged person that other people have to stand up against.

Had he not been white, he would have used his skin color to his advantage. One could argue that racism in US would not have allowed him to become so popular, but there is Obama.

So your argument is that racism is over because Obama became president?

44 out of 45 seems like pretty good odds (and Obama was still male)

i55afVc.jpg

I don't really think so, and that's just my opinion, of course.
I perceive Trump as an all out opportunist. He doesn't really stand for anything concrete, there is a goal and there are opportunities to use. Had he not been white, he would have used his skin color to his advantage. One could argue that racism in US would not have allowed him to become so popular, but there is Obama.

So you think a black/Asian/hispanic etc. man or woman running for president could win if they were proven to have been sued multiple times for refusing to rent to white people, were on video bragging about sexually assaulting people, and had taken out an ad in a prominent paper to advocate bringing back the death penalty specifically to kill a group of white people who were subsequently proven to have not committed the crime they were accused of?

krazen

Black workers suffer because it was and is our lot. But when white workers suffer, something in nature has gone awry. And so an opioid epidemic among mostly white people is greeted with calls for compassion and treatment, as all epidemics should be, while a crack epidemic among mostly black people is greeted with scorn and mandatory minimums. Sympathetic op‑ed columns and articles are devoted to the plight of working-class whites when their life expectancy plummets to levels that, for blacks, society has simply accepted as normal. White slavery is sin. Nigger slavery is natural. This dynamic serves a very real purpose: the consistent awarding of grievance and moral high ground to that class of workers which, by the bonds of whiteness, stands closest to America’s aristocratic class.

Goddamn, so beautiful it hurts

steve-martins-e1384690044939.jpg

le.phat

fantastic article. One that will resonate well with the intellectual left, and fall on deaf ears with the intellectually-challenged on the right.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
It's worth it for Coates. The man does not hold back.
As a non-american, his pieces often make me feel like I'm getting informed on a repressed part of the american psyche. The Trump presidency really shows how right he was about race politics in the US all along. Shit is scary.

Top Bottom