• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the fl0w thread

fl0w is a pretty cool Flash game (online or downloadable) that I guess is being remade as a downloadable title for the PS3.

This kinda got buried in the recent GoW2 thread, so I thought I'd repost it here.

fl0w1.jpg

I had quite a bit of fun with this and played through the whole thing. It's pretty relaxing thanks to the pretty graphics--it's someone's MFA project!--and soothing music, but I also thought it was a pretty good game for a little Flash thing; it reminded me of a combination between EVO on the SNES and Rez.

fl0w3.jpg

The game starts off pretty easy but gets a little more challenging once you go down further and start encountering the tougher enemies. I felt pretty awesome the first time I took out one of the manta ray creatures (the small ones; I could never finish off the gigantic ones or the circular things). I also liked that
you're not the only one of your species and you discover there are other snake-creatures just like you

I didn't quite figure out all the rules about how your creature evolves (although it obviously has to do something with the different kinds of dots) but had fun upgrading it anyway :). A couple times I managed to get a super-wide jaw, but both times I lost it right away :\ . I did manage to get some fins to go behind my head.

It was interesting when you get down to the bottom and
it's all black, and you have nothing to do but swim all the way back up home. Kind of a departure from a big boss encounter! But, really, the reward is being able to return to where you came from with all the upgrades you gained along the way ... the upper levels actually felt a little underwhelming after navigating through much worse on the way down!

fl0w2.jpg

In general, I like the organic approach to the game; e.g., instead of bringing up some "Mission Failure" or "Game Over" screen when you get hit, you just get bumped back up a level. And the game doesn't have lots of instructions or tutorials; it lets you figure out how its world works as you go.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this on the PS3.

So go play it! It's a great way to spend 15-20 minutes playing through, IMO. :)

Thanks to Bad_Boy for the original post with the link to fl0w.

Amir0x

Banned
i missed this story, i didn't even know PS3 had any confirmed downloadable games announced :p

Anyway, uhm, seems neat... I'll try it out

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This game is so addicting. Trying to reach different evolutionary stages and whatnot and the ambiance is freakin soothing.

WalkMan

Banned
Wait this is the game that's going to be on the PS3 Arcade service? Interesting, I played through this a few times before. Is there any information on how this game will differ when brought to the PS3? Maybe many more creatures?

Oh, and if anyone doesn't feel like clicking to read the instructions in the actual game:

Move the mouse cursor to change the direction you're swimming
Click to dash / speed up

Eat the red jellyfish creatures to go down to the next level
Eat the blue jellyfish to go back up to the previous level

That's all that's in the instructions ... I think the rest is meant to be up to you to discover as you play the game :)

Flow is old hat: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89937

But the news about it being a PS3 downloadable is not.

Does anyone know what Sony plans to do with ZWOK? http://zwok-game.com/en_GB/

I've been enjoying it. It would be cool if that was a downloadable as well.

Oh, as I said in the other thread:
Battersea Power Station said:
I thought I ate everything, but the last two dots are still not maxed out. Maybe that's just the design.

electroplanktonplussporeequalscore.jpg
Did anyone get a more full thingy than that?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Greenpanda said:
Thanks to Bad_Boy for the original post with the link to fl0w.
Welcome, but I probably wasnt the first as mentioned above. :p

But yeah, It's indeed an addicting game. I probably played through it about 2-3 times over the last couple of weeks. It's very relaxing but fun at the same time. I hope the Santa-Monica people and the three devs who made this title make some cool changes so its not exactly a direct port over for the ps3. Not that it's a bad game, but I dont think it would be as cool when you could just go on your PC and play the same thing, and 6+ months earlier. Cloud was pretty cool too, I wonder what they will come up with next.

Does anyone know what Sony plans to do with ZWOK? http://zwok-game.com/en_GB/

I've been enjoying it. It would be cool if that was a downloadable as well.
Whoa thats cool, thanks for the link. Reminds me of worms. I hope they do something with that also.
Nice find.

jgkspsx

Oh, as I said in the other thread:Did anyone get a more full thingy than that?
No, and I ate everything too. Then again, I got knocked back two levels. Did you?

The "wide jaws" powerup is only a temporary powerup, not an evolutionary change.

I found the game really enjoyable, but not something I would return to, really. The fact that there was only one real evolutionary path was probably the main problem I had with it. Control was very annoying with a touchpad, but a stylus or mouse probably would have felt better, so I don't hold that against it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
yeah this isn't really my thing. if it was like a free thing on PS3 then i'd download it but yeah...

We talked about in the other thread, but I wonder how they're gonna handle this. Cos anyone will be able to fire up their PS3 browser, and assuming flash support, play the original online for free :lol Methinks the PS3 version will be an evolved version, or something..a straight port wouldn't do.

Filter

well if they made it online competitive it could become a seething swarming feeding-frenzy mess.
which could be kind of fun I suppose.

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Remo said:
PS3 makes games worth downloading.

hahaha hell no. but i'm the type of person, if it's free i'll get it just because i can. What do you lose for being free :lol

noi5e

Greenpanda said:
It was interesting when you get down to the bottom and
it's all black, and you have nothing to do but swim all the way back up home. Kind of a departure from a big boss encounter! But, really, the reward is being able to return to where you came from with all the upgrades you gained along the way ... the upper levels actually felt a little underwhelming after navigating through much worse on the way down!

hmm... actually i thought the very last board was the one where you do battle with your nemesis snake... that's probably one of the (few) downsides to this game, you sometimes miss things on a level just cuz they are so big... i think the next version should have a "sonar" upgrade or something...

Top Bottom