• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Future of 4K Streaming: How Close are We?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
If implemented right, streaming is the best possible future for gaming. The issue however is that it almost certainly won’t happen like that. Libraries won’t carry over, access will be limited, fees on top of fees, crappy resolution, massive lag.

It sounds awesome but I just don’t see it happening the way that we want it too

Bigfroth

So Close Fall GIF by Archer

londontko

This. 100%. the day dedicated hardware no longer exists is the day i quit gaming. No matter how far it advances, or how fast internet speeds get, there will ALWAYS be inherent latency/input lag. Theres no comparison to playing on dedicated hardware.
I'm not quite getting this. How can you be so sure that there's always going to be some sort of delay or lag in response times? What if there was some lag, but it was so small that no one could notice it?

Why does everyone here seem to be against this way of doing things? Hasn't it been great for things like Spotify, Netflix, and Youtube? Isn't this way objectively better than 'owning' stuff. You guys need to rethink how much value you're putting on these physical items. How long are these things even supposed to last? Are you planning on giving them to your grandkids or something?

You all keep referencing 'you'll own nothing and love it' as if it's a trump card, but your arguments are so shit that it's actually making me consider that there might be some truth to it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Problem is that core players rather get consoles or PC to play without latency because it's cheaper there where there's great connection to play on the cloud, and where it's actually needed because hardware is perceivably way more expensive like third world countries, there's not even close to an internet infrastructure to support such service.

Cloud gaming market is in a limbo in my opinion.

Nydius

Hasn't it been great for things like Spotify, Netflix, and Youtube? Isn't this way objectively better than 'owning' stuff.

Comparing passive entertainment to active entertainment? C’mon now. You know better. And has it really “been great” when people lose access to shows because those platforms decide to take them down for “tax write offs” with no other means to obtain them? Or when artists get paid literal fractions of a penny per stream? It’s been great all right… for Spotify and Netflix and their shareholders. Not so much for artists and consumers.

The idea of giving up all control to corporations who can then delist and remove access to content at-will is absolutely batshit insane and not “objectively better” by any means. If you believe so, you’re the kind of consooomer they want: People easily bamboozled by the concept of “convenience” that you’ll gleefully give up your rights, and pay more, for less control.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The future you envision in your post sounds like a nightmare scenario, so hopefully it never happens. IMO of course. Its ok as an option in a pinch, but to replace regular gaming. Nah
It will most certainly replace native gameplay, eventually. 10, 20, 50, 75 years from now? I don’t know, but it will and I don’t see why that would be a “nightmare scenario” at all.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This. 100%. the day dedicated hardware no longer exists is the day i quit gaming. No matter how far it advances, or how fast internet speeds get, there will ALWAYS be inherent latency/input lag. Theres no comparison to playing on dedicated hardware.
This is ridiculous… stating “always” is ignorant to say. 50 years from now, there will likely be zero latency, it’s just a matter of time. Technology doesn’t stay stagnant and time is infinite. When the automobile was first created, people like you said it would “never” replace the horse.

So yes, unless humanity is wiped out at some point, there will be zero latency, not just 4K streaming, but 8k, 32k, or whatever is the max the human eye can perceive.

Griffon

It will most certainly replace native gameplay, eventually. 10, 20, 50, 75 years from now? I don’t know, but it will and I don’t see why that would be a “nightmare scenario” at all.

Think for a second what kind of processing power would be in your phone or TV in 10/20/50/75 years.

Streaming will never be a better option, and even less into the future when any hardware can already run any game.

Latency wont go away, while local processing power will be magnitudes better than today's.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I'm not quite getting this. How can you be so sure that there's always going to be some sort of delay or lag in response times? What if there was some lag, but it was so small that no one could notice it?

Why does everyone here seem to be against this way of doing things? Hasn't it been great for things like Spotify, Netflix, and Youtube? Isn't this way objectively better than 'owning' stuff. You guys need to rethink how much value you're putting on these physical items. How long are these things even supposed to last? Are you planning on giving them to your grandkids or something?

You all keep referencing 'you'll own nothing and love it' as if it's a trump card, but your arguments are so shit that it's actually making me consider that there might be some truth to it.
Spotify, Netflix, and Youtube are NOT interactive forms of media as gaming is. You dont hold a controller, move sticks, press buttons to control whats happening on screen happening on screen in real time.

MarkMe2525

This place does not respond well to optimism towards cloud gaming. As long as it stays a supplemental service, I love it. There are people who claim it will be the end of native hardware, but as long as there are people willing to pay money for hardware, someone will provide it.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It’s actually shocking the amount of people here that don’t realize that GeForce Now is already capable of providing lower input latency than Xbox Series X or PS5.

All these “i’LL nEvEr pLay sTrEaMiNg bEcaUsE iT wiLL aLwaYs hAvE mOrE LaTeNcY” people have absolutely no idea what the fuck they’re talking about lol

Last edited:

Banned
It’s actually shocking the amount of people here that don’t realize that GeForce Now is already capable of providing lower input latency than Xbox Series X or PS5.

that is highly misleading and/or physically impossible.
you are most likely referring to specific comparisons where the console versions were badly made and used laggy vsync.

show me someone measuring latency lower than that of Warzone 2 on Series X with any game on GeForce Now.
the latency of Warzone 2 on Series X is about 25ms~26ms with display lag removed.
on a top end Samsung TV that results in a total end to end lag of ~30ms. this is og hardware NES played on a CRT levels of input lag right there.

also the amount of latency is highly depended on where you live. and as soon as ANYONE does ANYTHING on your home network, you'll get stutters and inconsistent latency

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
that is highly misleading and/or physically impossible.
you are most likely referring to specific comparisons where the console versions were badly made and used laggy vsync.

show me someone measuring latency lower than that of Warzone 2 on Series X with any game on GeForce Now.
the latency of Warzone 2 on Series X is about 25ms~26ms with display lag removed.
on a top end Samsung TV that results in a total end to end lag of ~30ms. this is og hardware NES played on a CRT levels of input lag right there.

also the amount of latency is highly depended on where you live. and as soon as ANYONE does ANYTHING on your home network, you'll get stutters and inconsistent latency

Per Digital Foundry, Destiny 2 60fps gameplay has more latency on native Series X than with Geforce Now PC app:

53033149243_5789b20d07_b.jpg

Outriders at 60fps shows similar results:

53033151623_695b3e0a2d_b.jpg

And this video is from a year ago w/ the RTX 3080 tier of GeForce Now. If anything, a year later, and with the RTX 4080 tier, it's probably improved even further.

Last edited:

You are the only who doesn't understand that Streaming is not magic. It doesn't remove the need for hardware; it just puts the hardware somewhere else. The lag would be proportional to how close the hardware is to your house. Thus the best option is the hardware being in your room. Making the hardware somewhere else is not an improvement. You might as well put your fridge in your neighbor's house and have a setup that has the neighbor deliver you food to your door when ever you call him. You might as well keep your own damn fridge at home.

You can't lower the lag because we are at the very limits of physics. If you can break the speed of light, you would literally have infinite energy. You are asking for tech advancements that would put us at Star Trek level technology. Wasting that just to put the console in a different building is a waste.

One argument for your position of lowering lag, is to make games that FAKE responding to you. As in making games that play itself by predicting what the player wanted to do. So basically the game isn't a game at all, just a cut-scene that fools toddlers into thinking they are playing.

ByWatterson

Nintendo has demonstrated people want portable gaming.

Sony and Microsoft have demonstrated people want dedicated home gaming.

PC hardware manufacturers have demonstrated people want highly customizable gaming.

Literally no one has demonstrated any large amount of people want streaming.

naancy54

Neo Member
GeForce now can do 4k 120hz with surround sound and HDR and it’s damn near perfect on a LAN connection. No perceptible lag in my experience. No streaming artifacts or hitching to speak of. If you tried it at my place and I told you it was running locally, you’d believe me. It’s that good. I only with it could leverage VRR (though no idea how you’d make that work on a streaming service.. and DLSS 3.0 supported games make this non issue when they lock at 120)

Mileage obviously varies depending on network and location, but what you what exists.
I completely agree with your assessment of "Unveiling the Depths of Creativity.
"The exhibition's diverse range of artworks and boundary-pushing nature truly left a
profound impact on me as well. It's an experience that I highly recommend to anyone who
appreciates art and its transformative power.

Banned
Per Digital Foundry, Destiny 2 60fps gameplay has more latency on native Series X than with Geforce Now PC app:

53033149243_5789b20d07_b.jpg

Outriders at 60fps shows similar results:

53033151623_695b3e0a2d_b.jpg

And this video is from a year ago w/ the RTX 3080 tier of GeForce Now. If anything, a year later, and with the RTX 4080 tier, it's probably improved even further.

like I said, you're using spcific games that have bad vsync on console. I see no game there that can compete with ~30ms like in Warzone 2 on Series X

also, lol look at the 120fps numbers in your own example. and look at the max latency of Outriders, which is the kind of inconsistency that gets worse depends on where you live or what happens on your network

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Streaming will be forced, not something the consumer wants or needs.

The lowest denominator still isn't ready for all online games or only digital copies so I would say 10 years too early.

naancy54

Neo Member
I completely agree with your assessment of "Unveiling the Depths of Creativity.
"The exhibition's diverse range of artworks and boundary-pushing nature truly left a
profound impact on me as well. It's an experience that I highly recommend to anyone who
appreciates art and its transformative power.
thank you guys
insta pro

They don't even do proper remote play yet, my TV is always highjacked by kids and wife but my god the quality of remote play on Xbox atleast is dogshit
It's like 720p with crop bars and dogshit quality

Gamezone

Gold Member
Streaming games is garbage, even as low as 720p. Can't imagine how terrible 4K must be. Even apps like Steam Link within my own home isn't very good. Moonlight is decent enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom