• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of Crytek?

Xplainin

Banned
Crytek has been in financial trouble for many years, and have struggled to sell their Cryengine to developers, and haven't been able to produce any real blockbuster games since the Crysis series. In fact they have gone back to the well with a remaster of Crysis.

In 2014 they nearly fell over and had to shut down a number of studios. A lifeline from Amazon of around $50 million for a version of their Cryengine helped stave off closure.
However since then they have continued to have financial problems, even to the point of not paying wages.
As a developer they have fallen away from their glory days, and their Engine just isn't as viable as UE or Unity.

What does the future hold for them? Their owners arnt liked by alot of people and might explain why no one has really tried to buy them out.

Will Crytek be around in 5 years?

John254

Banned
I think Crytek should swallow their pride, because that's what got them to this point. Honestly, I don't know how they survived this long, but i expect, that someone will pick them up.
Microsoft or Sony or Tencent.

It all started to fall apart when they tried to focus on consoles and the cod crowd. I think they are fine now as hunt showdown is quite successful

PresetError

Neophyte
Hunt: Showdown is a good game, although not very successful financially. But it shows they still have the talent. I don't see a reason they can't be bought by a big publisher or make exclusive publishing deals, unless they don't want to because ownership prefers to go down with freedom and independence.

If Crysis Remastered doesn't sell well it might be the time to find out.

Hudo

It all started to fall apart when they tried to focus on consoles and the cod crowd. I think they are fine now as hunt showdown is quite successful
I think even their previous attempt at a multiplayer-focused shooter (I think it was called Warface?) was quite successful in Russia and other parts of eastern Europe.

wipeout364

Does Crytek own the Crysis IP? I had always thought EA owned it but maybe they just published it. It’s too bad they didn’t make the hunt a full package with a campaign, it’s a cool world would be interesting to have a proper story mode.

ZehDon

Gold Member
With the older Yerli brother stepping down, I’m expecting them to make smarter plays than they have in the past. Who knows when we’ll that start to pay off - hoping Crysis Remastered is the start.

No one doubts their engine’s talents, but it’s been a while since they’ve had a hit. Glad to see Hunt name dropped though - criminally underrated title.

VN1X

Banned
Currently 300+ hours into Hunt Showdown and I'm expecting to double that by the end of the year lol. And although it definitely shows they're either understaffed or lacking the funds, what with the scarcity of major updates and enhancements to the game, I'm hoping they'll be able to keep putting out updates for that as I absolutely love it (it's basically Resident Evil multiplayer, or what could/should have been that).

Do hope they find some other success soon though as I fail to come up with any other IP that could bring in more revenue for them. They sold of Warface and I'm not sure they will get much from that Crysis remaster either (if at all).

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I think if Crysis Remaster doesn't do well they are done, I'm surprised they are stil alive TBH, it's been what, 7 years since Crysis 3, they haven got any major game released since then, and were doing everything possible to stay afloat ever since (VR and F2P). And I have all the bad feelings for the upcoming remaster given the recent teaser and its reception... Without big budget from someone else they won't be able to make a game that will fully utilize their latest CryEngine, so they won't be able to make big money and be able to independently work on big titles again. Maybe MS will order Ryse 2 for Series X, but that's all I can think of.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think it’s telling they are doing this and not Crysis 4. Remastered 1 might be a panic move, considering its launching now at the end of this generation and looks quite frankly like sloppy thrown together shit.

Rikkori

The management is rotten to the core. It went the only way it could have.

Most of old Crytek is now at CIG or scattered. Current Crytek is Crytek in name only.

And as proven by the remaster they can't even do that right and had to contract it out.

Crytek is dead.

Stuart360

I hope someone buys them, rather than them going under. They have made some bad decisions over the years, but they are still good devs. I think they need guidance going forward.

Go back to your roots. Discover what gamers enjoyed about your games. Develop that again and add to it.
Crysis 1 remaster is a start.
Seriously the tech in these new consoles should allow a hugely open world FPS with no issue.

UnNamed

Banned
Their games are not at the peak of graphics anymore, but they still are well balanced. Sadly they lost for good very important key elements on the Cryengine development.
Id Sotware or Activision have seen lots of improvements in their games, see Doom and Call of Duty. Doom in particular benefits a LOT from Cryengine tech.

They still have some interesting tech such as their SVOGI lighting algorithm and their new agnostic RTX tech.

Their games were never bad, maybe not enjoyable by the most but very interesting.

They would fit in this huge FPS black hole in the Nintendo lineup.
VFxEM4K.png

I like the Crysis franchise but it's nothing special. I think their plan was to sell the engine to other devs but they got crushed by unreal engine.
I don't even know how they're still afloat.

Neo_game

Big fan of Crysis games and it stills holds pretty well on PC. Hopefully remasters on console will be good as well

Fbh

Seems like their plan was always to sell the engine but it didn't work out.

I always wondered what the deal was with the cryengine. Their games sure look nice but maybe it's pain to use like Frostbite?

Top Bottom