• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2017 Discussion

Starfield

Why no Todd Howard on stage...

why you do this to me

I guess they gonna announce games on their own stage from now on...

Kid Ying

It really wasn't, but these are essentially the Teen's Choice Awards of gaming so ultimately it doesn't matter. Remember Dragon Age Inquisition?
That said, the show was an enjoyable watch this year. With the exception of that drunk No Way Out guy. Just embarrassing.
But if it's only teens choice, shouldn't pubg have won? I think it's the coolest game now.

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
I know that it's tempting and I know that it's very easy to do but can I please remind people not to quote and respond to comments that they know are wholly inappropriate. When this happens it just adds to any issues that the original comment caused and keeps that comment at the centre of member's attention.

Again, I know it's tempting but please just contact one of the moderation team so that it can be remedied with as little public fuss as possible.

Thank you.

delete12345

I'm surprised this many people actually cared about the awards, considering it's just another US-centric show.

It has a big significance between Japan (The Tokyo Game Show) and Europe (Golden Joystick Award and another award ceremony that escaped my mind). I'm pretty sure it's the same with the Game Awards in the Americas.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
. GOTY should be 100% gamer votes imo.
Oh god no. It would instead basically be “most rabid fan base of the year award” at that point

Speaking of rabid, amazing that Rabbids won strategy game of the year.. SO freaking well deserved and from out of nowhere. That team deserves every second of recognition. A little silly that so many PC games were shut down, but just incredible to give such a wonderful and surprisingly deep title some much needed recognition.

But if it's only teens choice, shouldn't pubg have won? I think it's the coolest game now.
I think you misunderstood me.
My point was that The Game Awards currently has the legitimacy of the Teen Choice Awards. Loud, flashy, televised (on the internet, at least), and advertisement-laden. It'll take some serious work to become to the legitimate Oscars of gaming that they want it to be (even if that already exists in the form of DICE Awards).

Sepultura

Zelda is great and all, but it really lacks some tough competition this year. I would’ve loved to see how it would do against the likes of Red Dead, but alas.

Horizon not winning anything does not surprise me. In every category it was nominated in, there were simply other games that excelled in it. Senua is the best female protagonist to come out in a long long time.

FN-2187

Zelda is great and all, but it really lacks some tough competition this year. I would've loved to see how it would do against the likes of Red Dead, but alas.

I would say Zelda definitely had some strong competition; this was a great year of games. It wasn't my favorite game of the year, but its greatness is obvious.

Also Red Dead isn't even out yet... You never know; it could be a huge disappointment.

RootCause

Zelda is great and all, but it really lacks some tough competition this year. I would’ve loved to see how it would do against the likes of Red Dead, but alas.

Horizon not winning anything does not surprise me. In every category it was nominated in, there were simply other games that excelled in it. Senua is the best female protagonist to come out in a long long time.
I disagree. Mario Odyssey is tough competition. It probably would've won goty if it weren't for BOTW

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Persona 5 as best RPG, duh
Wolfenstein II as best action? Ok, I guess. I mean, it's not bad, but the narrative was way better
Cuphead as best art, duh
Zelda as GOTY, well, it's gonna be Nintendo either way, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Horizon Zero Prizes

That is what happens when you let "game journalists" vote while the gamer only made 10% of the decision. GOTY should be 100% gamer votes imo.

Not sure how I feel about this. I agree with you that gaming journalists deciding anything is LMAO but public voting is also not ideal, as exemplified by console warriors Metacritic reviews. If I had to choose, I'd got with public voting as well and honestly I'm not sure how gaming doesn't have a Rate Your Music equivalent which would lead to a better critical culture.

Velius

Banned
I would say Zelda definitely had some strong competition; this was a great year of games. It wasn't my favorite game of the year, but its greatness is obvious.

Also Red Dead isn't even out yet... You never know; it could be a huge disappointment.

Seriously, we had a thread here not too long ago where tons of people were convinced Horizon was going to walk away with every award.

Actually did Horizon win anything?

But Zelda had Horizon, Persona 5, NieR, Divinity and Odyssey to deal with. 2017 has been huge for gamers.

Dunki

Not sure how I feel about this. I agree with you that gaming journalists deciding anything is LMAO but public voting is also not ideal, as exemplified by console warriors Metacritic reviews. If I had to choose, I'd got with public voting as well and honestly I'm not sure how gaming doesn't have a Rate Your Music equivalent which would lead to a better critical culture.

What I would do is probably a mix so like 50:50 but then also chose publications or better certain people carefully.Maybe also some big names from the Industry.

FN-2187

With public voting, you also have the issue that most gamers don't have all the consoles and only play maybe a dozen games each year. I would be voting and I don't own a PS4 or a Switch, so games like Horizon and Odyssey wouldn't even be in my consideration.

Fbh

Had the EZA stream of the awards running on the background while catching up on some work earlier.

Overall it seemed like a pretty good show. Good mix of announcements and personalities on stage and it has finally started to feel a bit like an award show (IMO in previous years the awards themselves almost felt like and afterthought) .

I still think they need to axe the awards that they clearly just don't give a shit about. If you aren't going to have someone present the award, show the nominated games/people and actually have someone accepting the award on stage then don't bother.
Geoff standing on stage for 30 seconds announcing the winners of like 5 categories just seems silly.

Also hopefully soundtrack gets more recognition last year. It's funny because videogame music seems to be important enough to have a live orchestra at your show, but the actual best soundtrack award felt like an afterthought (I agree with the winner though)

Kid Ying

I think you misunderstood me.
My point was that The Game Awards currently has the legitimacy of the Teen Choice Awards. Loud, flashy, televised (on the internet, at least), and advertisement-laden. It'll take some serious work to become to the legitimate Oscars of gaming that they want it to be (even if that already exists in the form of DICE Awards).
Ah, ok. I entirely agree with that. lol

Sepultura

No no. The year was pretty good. But game of the year debate is a bit different. Look at the last major Mario releases namely Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Though they won many goty awards they ultimate lost by a significant margin to western blockbusters (Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead). There was no such release this year. What Im trying to say is, Mario games have taken the back seat in the goty debates when there has been more stiffer competition. You could argue the media is western oriented but thats another debate. Only two other games which got massive praise thus yesr are both niche titles lacking the mass appeal to win goty everywhere, Persona 5 and Divinity 2.
Highly unlikely given how well first one did.
I disagree. Mario Odyssey is tough competition. It probably would've won goty if it weren't for BOTW
Probably would’ve. Why is that the case? I answered that above.

trugs

Neo Member
That is what happens when you let "game journalists" vote while the gamer only made 10% of the decision. GOTY should be 100% gamer votes imo.
No, if anything, gamer votes should be 0%. I'd rather professional critics decide rather than rabid fanbases.

geordiemp

No, if anything, gamer votes should be 0%. I'd rather professional critics decide rather than rabid fanbases.

Professional critics are just rabid fanbases who are so entrenched in the games they like they go work in that field is my opinion.

I have not seen many balanced critics lol..

The way I see it, It's just like most other media. Videogames have tastemakers, these are just people in a position where their opinion matters, that doesn't keep them from having favorites.
...That's what awards are though! people's favorites, the games that certain people choose over the others in some category or other.

A friend now owes me some cash for betting on Mario as the GOTY. He thought it was going to win because it got the most high scores than anything else this year on Metacritic. (evil laugh)

Actually Mario has these days 96 and Zelda 97 Metacritic, but of course both are crazy high scores and especially this generation.

Seriously, we had a thread here not too long ago where tons of people were convinced Horizon was going to walk away with every award.

Actually did Horizon win anything?

But Zelda had Horizon, Persona 5, NieR, Divinity and Odyssey to deal with. 2017 has been huge for gamers.

As far as i can see Horizon did not win anything in any category it was nominated for.

geordiemp

Actually Mario has these days 96 and Zelda 97 Metacritic, but of course both are crazy high scores and especially this generation.

Critics have always gave Zelda and Mario games 96 / 97 - I remember TP getting similar accolades and playing it was a 7 for me.

I think there is a massive disconnect between the general console online gamers that plays GTA, Fortnite, Overwatch, COD, Rainbow, Destiny and the Critics who like the Nostalgia franchises.

I think its to the point where its kinda irrelevant what critics say and gush over and what is popular with mainstream.

There's no perfect solution and yours has it's own set of problems.
  • Not all gamers have access to the nominated games or better said "journalist" have a higher change to have expereinced those games.
  • Rabbid fan bases. Basically PUBG with it's more active fan base would have one GOTY independently of the game's merits.
  • The game "journalist" should be more aware of the intricancies of the game development process than most average voting users.
i would say the pannel should be formed mainly by people with actual development experience and independent critics.

AIAS is the actual "Oscar" of games or rather it should be.

Notes:

-They were less shameful with advertisements than past entries. i mean less cringe was exhibited.
-No Geoff drama or "shine" time. More or less.
-While aware of the reality and what takes to organize this event, having the show work as a big advertisement will always rest validity and relevance to it. Always.
-Biggest flaw of the show are the awards that just got a background mention. The main thing about these prizes is to give exposure to games that deserve it. Why instead of a nonesensical "Pre show" use that extra time to at least have a video reel showcasing these categories.

Top Bottom