• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "Gamers" vs. Activision Blizzard/Xbox lawsuit is going ahead and they will spend their last chance in the 9th Circuit, Law360 reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They want a break granted on the deal while they continue to challenge it in court and have filed a fervent final written argument about why the acquisition is "surprising and dangerous."

"The evidence of anti-competitive intent to drive Sony out of the video game business is striking and dangerous, and completely ignored."

"There is no question that Microsoft's intent to liquidate Sony by buying enough gaming content threatens irreparable harm to gaming consumers."

They want a break granted on the deal while they continue to challenge it in court and have filed a fervent final written argument about why the acquisition is "surprising and dangerous."

"The evidence of anti-competitive intent to drive Sony out of the video game business is striking and dangerous, and completely ignored."

"There is no question that Microsoft's intent to liquidate Sony by buying enough gaming content threatens irreparable harm to gaming consumers."
What a waste of time this is, also who is funding this nonsense?

Not surprised court's don't give a damn its all about money n power. Microsoft can easily put sony and Nintendo out if business. If I was sony or Nintendo right now I would be on the phone to embracer and trycand purchase half the studios that they own

DragonNCM

a212ffaa-ff9f-46cb-8bd2-443a2845a87a_text.gif

SenkiDala

This lawsuit will fail, but MS got caught in their email trail discussing actually putting Sony out of business.
I see people reacting weirdly to this. Of course "putting Sony out of business" might sound harsh but isn't it the purpose of every company ? Becoming the bests so obviously seeing their main opponent failing would be nice ?

When SEGA had to stop to make hardware and focus on Software do you think Sony and Nintendo had a secret meeting together like "shit our buddy SEGA, why not funding their next console ? How can we help them ?", of course not, they celebrated and were glad it happened. 1 opponent down is an obvious good news for them. So yes if Sony goes bankrupt MS will celebrate and maybe a new opponent will rise and try to take their place (Samsung, Apple or whatever).

I love my PS5, I've owned every Sony console but I find this hypocritical to or naive to be shocked that such e-mails exist.

I don't think that during the Xbox One era, Sony felt so much pity for MS... Which was normal.

To me the people outraged by those kind of emails are a bit simple minded...

StereoVsn

I see people reacting weirdly to this. Of course "putting Sony out of business" might sound harsh but isn't it the purpose of every company ? Becoming the bests so obviously seeing their main opponent failing would be nice ?

When SEGA had to stop to make hardware and focus on Software do you think Sony and Nintendo had a secret meeting together like "shit our buddy SEGA, why not funding their next console ? How can we help them ?", of course not, they celebrated and were glad it happened. 1 opponent down is an obvious good news for them. So yes if Sony goes bankrupt MS will celebrate and maybe a new opponent will rise and try to take their place (Samsung, Apple or whatever).

I love my PS5, I've owned every Sony console but I find this hypocritical to or naive to be shocked that such e-mails exist.

I don't think that during the Xbox One era, Sony felt so much pity for MS... Which was normal.

It's different when a $2.5 trillion company about to buy biggest publisher in gaming does it. It's all a matter of scale.

SenkiDala

It's different when a $2.5 trillion company about to buy biggest publisher in gaming does it. It's all a matter of scale.
Well they're using the tools they have. MS has mostly money and yes it can make them "limitless", almost. And Sony use the relationships they built with other publishers (Square, Konami, etc) and also money (Bungie wasn't free, Insomniac too, the FFVIIR/FFVIII/Silent Hill 2 exclusives aren't free either).

If Sony had as much money as MS you don't think they'd do the same ? Just because it's not cool and unfair for the company that has less money ? Honestly I don't think so. Sony are buying 3rd party exclusives since decades (Silent Hill series, Resident Evil series, FF series and so on) and they are RIGHT to do so. If they had more money they'd acquire more studios / publishers. I always read people saying "wtf Sony isn't purchasing SquareEnix, or SEGA, or From, or EA, etc" Sony isn't a GAFAM...

I also think that Jim Ryan was right to try as much as he could to block this acquisition, if he didn't he would have been a bad CEO. He has to defend the interests of his company.

Last edited:

Hudo

I am usually all for going after big corps but in this case: Fuck Gamers.

Sony is not a saint either. The way they entered the market back then was also paved by shady shit they've pulled.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member

People just keep on saying this shit without understanding the point they’re actually making.

Yes, every company “wants” to put every other company out of business. That is literally why these rules exist. They’re not a moral judgement, they are the checks and balances that maintain a functioning economy.

Sony would love to put MS out of business, of course, but they absolutely lack to resources to do so, with or without anti-trust rules.
MS want the same, and they do have the resources. And the historical pattern of behaviour. And the company policy. And the lobbying funds.

All that said, this lawsuit is a waste of everyone’s time. The deal is going through. Gaming will still survive.

TrueGrime

Searching for an official docket of the case via news article websites and seeing this.

The so-called "gamers' lawsuit" against the Microsoft/Activision deal was initially filed by a group of 10 PlayStation Call of Duty players in December, alleging that the deal could lead to increased prices and/or decreased quality or availability for the franchise on their console of choice.

Lol. Nevermind.

I mean they are right, but big American corporations get to play on Story Mode with all of the accessibility modifiers turned on.

SenkiDala

People just keep on saying this shit without understanding the point they’re actually making.

Yes, every company “wants” to put every other company out of business. That is literally why these rules exist. They’re not a moral judgement, they are the checks and balances that maintain a functioning economy.

Sony would love to put MS out of business, of course, but they absolutely lack to resources to do so, with or without anti-trust rules.
MS want the same, and they do have the resources. And the historical pattern of behaviour. And the company policy. And the lobbying funds.

All that said, this lawsuit is a waste of everyone’s time. The deal is going through. Gaming will still survive.
I know and was (and still am) personally totally against this acquisition.

I don't even understand how all those "market regulators" say it's ok and it won't cause any abuse of dominante position.

But well, they all (except CMA) said yes to it so... MS would be dumb to pass.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They're not really trying to stop the acquisition. They're just hoping to be annoying enough that Microsoft will offer to settle with some cash to make them go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom