• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk SE

Hugbot said:
I'm at work and can't check - about how long is this one? Does it include the boss fight that takes place right after the demo or just a different section of the game?

I'm at work too watching it. :)

It's 22 minutes, no boss fights. Some short cinematics, cut short for obvious reasons. And Jeff showed off 2 different sections of the game.

He seems to be really selling this game because of either friends with CAPCOM or the fact that it isn't that bad.

Personally, I'll be getting this on PC cause it's cheaper and apparantly the Games for Windows LIVE stuff will be patched in or available on Games on Demand. So I'll be getting it for sure.

The issues here on 360/PS3 seem to be framerate, probably something not existent on PC.

Dark Void QL 2? Why? Did they feel they didn't turn enough people off from it the last time or something?

You know what's gonna be retarded? Dark Void came out a week before Tatsunoko, but once January sales are in, and Dark Void sells like -45 copies, and Tatsunoko sells like 50k, all the blog sites will jump all over the fact that hardcore games on the wii don't sell, and how it put Capcom at a huge loss or something.

Hugbot

Hawk xSx said:
I'm at work too watching it. :)

It's 22 minutes, no boss fights. Some short cinematics, cut short for obvious reasons. And Jeff showed off 2 different sections of the game.
Well, that's cool. I'd have liked to see the boss fight, but honestly any section would've been better than the demo. Not that it was a bad demo, just that it had to explain all the controls and then cut short.

Mayor McHaggar said:
Dark Void QL 2? Why? Did they feel they didn't turn enough people off from it the last time or something?
I'm happy they're doing it. The QLs are a really good way to get a feel for the game and see if I'd enjoy it at all. With the demo, I didn't get any sort of idea what the overall game would be playing like, it was basically a jetpack tutorial. Which is, I guess, what the demo needed to be, but didn't give a good picture of what playing the actual game is like.

Hawk SE

Yeah well the original Quick Look was of the Demo. Now this one is full game and seeing the final product. So it's pretty cool they did it. I mean, also Dark Void doesn't seem like a bad game, I'm still interested.

Jeff gave it a 3/5, same as Army of Two TFD, so he's just showing this is a good game with some issues.

I hope they do more of these.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mayor Haggar said:

You know what's gonna be retarded? Dark Void came out a week before Tatsunoko, but once January sales are in, and Dark Void sells like -45 copies, and Tatsunoko sells like 50k, all the blog sites will jump all over the fact that hardcore games on the wii don't sell, and how it put Capcom at a huge loss or something.

Jeff mentioned on the bombcast actually that he thinks Capcom has been doing a horrible job of demoing their games, and didn't think the demo represented what the actual game was like. It's a shame about the framerate issues, because the game looks like pretty much what I expected otherwise, and I was looking forward to it.

Aaron

Hawk xSx said:
Yeah well the original Quick Look was of the Demo. Now this one is full game and seeing the final product. So it's pretty cool they did it. I mean, also Dark Void doesn't seem like a bad game, I'm still interested.

Jeff gave it a 3/5, same as Army of Two TFD, so he's just showing this is a good game with some issues.

I hope they do more of these.
The tech issues were his real sticking point. I think the PC version would have gotten a 4/5.

After these two, I'm expecting a return to Tatsunoko as well. Or, you know, whatever- they can record what they want, it's usually fun regardless.

Binabik15

Mad_Ban said:
I don't get the hate around this game. Sure it might be a "rip-off" of the GoW series, but it looks to be a FUN rip-off.

After playing the demo all I have to say is this

33mol6f.jpg

sdornan

I have Dante's Inferno 2 preordered at Amazon after watching this quick look due to the $10 preorder credit. Of course, it's getting canceled if the reviews are negative.

Mad_Ban said:
I don't get the hate around this game. Sure it might be a "rip-off" of the GoW series, but it looks to be a FUN rip-off.

To repeat an argument once made in reference to Darksiders, there is nothing inherently wrong with mimicking others (even if it is in this instance borderline ridiculous how close it is) as that is how plenty of masterpieces have been made, but then it should ideally improve on what it has borrowed, and have some identity. This feels like they played God of War and decided they wanted to make the same game. I'm sure it will be functional enough (even if the demo was critically blaha), but damn.

OMG Aero

Mad_Ban said:
I think the majority of the hate is directed at the ad campaign.

webrunner

OMG Aero said:
I think the majority of the hate is directed at the ad campaign.

And the concept: there's a lot of people who (quite possibly rightly) were disgusted at the idea that someone read the Divine Comedy and said : "You know what this needs? To be God of War but more extreme. That'd be awesome."

LCfiner

Dante’s looks pretty fun. crazy derivative but I don’t seem to mind in this case.

catching up with the Star Trek run. Episode 5 has some awesomely super nerdy talk between the guys. loving’ it. :lol

webrunner said:
And the concept: there's a lot of people who (quite possibly rightly) were disgusted at the idea that someone read the Divine Comedy and said : "You know what this needs? To be God of War but more extreme. That'd be awesome."

Count me in this group haha

Man watching the quick looks as of late is making me question my faith in games. Everything they have been playing is utter garbage. Hopefully, Spring will end this drought of crap.

Massa

DancingJesus said:
Man watching the quick looks as of late is making me question my faith in games. Everything they have been playing is utter garbage. Hopefully, Spring will end this drought of crap.

Well, sometimes they go out of their way to play crap for the comedy factor.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
DancingJesus said:

Mass Effect 2 quick look should be up in the coming days :D.

Massa said:
Well, sometimes they go out of their way to play crap for the comedy factor.

Yeah and I understand that but when games are completely bland and mediocre like Dark Void it's not all that entertaining. Just painfully dull.

Pankaks said:
Mass Effect 2 quick look should be up in the coming days :D.

Indeed!

Mad_Ban

AltogetherAndrews said:
To repeat an argument once made in reference to Darksiders, there is nothing inherently wrong with mimicking others (even if it is in this instance borderline ridiculous how close it is) as that is how plenty of masterpieces have been made, but then it should ideally improve on what it has borrowed, and have some identity. This feels like they played God of War and decided they wanted to make the same game. I'm sure it will be functional enough (even if the demo was critically blaha), but damn.
I agree with what you've written and I guess my reaction is down to what I've expected from the game. From the announcement the game has reeked of a B-grade God of War wannabe, to me, and from playing the demo I feel that it's true. I went in thinking I'd get a game that plays similarly to GoW, without the epic scale or story(despite being based off a book), and I got just that. Nothing about Dante's Inferno feels original, apart from maybe gratuitous nipples, but it accomplishes everything else in such a solid manner that I find it hard to pick a fault with how it plays.

Haunted said:
It's a goddamn TC.
What's a TC? Urban Dictionary only brings back foul meanings. :(

Seems like we've hit a short period of new IP releases that are a lot like old IPs. Darksiders = Zelda, Dante's Inferno = God of War, Bayonetta = Devil May Cry.

hamchan

voodoopanda said:
Seems like we've hit a short period of new IP releases that are a lot like old IPs. Darksiders = Zelda, Dante's Inferno = God of War, Bayonetta = Devil May Cry.
And only Bayonetta has managed to be better than what it was based on.

voodoopanda said:

Darksiders at least has the quality of being built from the stuff of several games, even if the result is blaha, and Bayonetta felt quite different from DMC (based on what little I have played of DMC). Dante's Inferno reeks of straight up plagiarism.

Ceebs

Going by the quick look alone, Dantes Inferno may be a total gameplay rehash, but the game does look really good while having some awesome looking art design if you are into the whole hell thing.

People have bled for the argument of Art vs Design, and here you bastards combine the two as if it's nothing. God damn it.

On topic, I think that's part of what repels me from the game, the hell thing. It makes me wonder if the whole thing is going to be one god awful never ending dungeon of deliberate ugliness. KZ2 fell on this, and I expect the same here.

AltogetherAndrews said:
People have bled for the argument of Art vs Design, and here you bastards combine the two as if it's nothing. God damn it.

On topic, I think that's part of what repels me from the game, the hell thing. It makes me wonder if the whole thing is going to be one god awful never ending dungeon of deliberate ugliness. KZ2 fell on this, and I expect the same here.
I gotta agree i mean who wants to spend leisure time in a LITERAL hell. Its gonna be a renter or a budget price pick-up for me. But i DO want to play it because i enjoy the genre. Also throwing fucking giant crosses at people amuses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom