• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Goldbergs S2 |OT| Everything's Coming up BARRY! Wednesdays 8:30/7:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni Jazar

I never heard any of those terms used outside of TMNT and movies that took place in California. Were they frequently used in the Philadelphia area?

Absolutely not

Oh I don't know, as a geek of pop culture I'm sure Adam would have used some of those words. I'll admit gnarly and tubular are reaching (though they were in videos/mags/games everywhere) but "totally" and "awesome" and "dude" was widely used. Instead I hear words like "Bro" sounds more 90s. Anyways I find it interesting that words can change by decade.

Jag

Oh I don't know, as a geek of pop culture I'm sure Adam would have used some of those words. I'll admit gnarly and tubular are reaching (though they were in videos/mags/games everywhere) but "totally" and "awesome" and "dude" was widely used. Instead I hear words like "Bro" sounds more 90s. Anyways I find it interesting that words can change by decade.

I agree. East Coast didn't use Valley Speak, but "totally", "like" and "dude" were heavily in the rotation.

Asbel

Does it bother anyone else that they talk like it's 2015 not 1980something? I'm surprised they don't throw in some "totally radical " or "tubular" "gnarly" that's the 80s I remember.

Really funny show regardless.

I had a similar complaint but I like this answer to it:

Barry invented the Hammer dance!

The whole unreliable narrator and memories through nostalgia element helps the show a lot with stuff getting mixed up and timeline wise not correct. It'd be a totally different show if everything was set correctly in a corresponding year.

Nintardo line from Beverly cracked me up

show has been great for a long time now. me and my wifes favorite sitcom-esque show. Barry reminds me of a friend of mine in high school.

its fun to see the actual real footage at the end of the shows too.

I was kinda out of the room, but I thought I heard a promo saying that an upcoming episode would be a Breakfast Club tribute?

Also, recent episode was great.

Revolver

I was kinda out of the room, but I thought I heard a promo saying that an upcoming episode would be a Breakfast Club tribute?

Also, recent episode was great.

I think the Breakfast Club tribute is for the Billboard Music Awards. Molly Ringwald is supposed to introduce Simple Minds or something.

mm04

Good finale last night. Since every bit of my teenage years was in the 80s, this show resonates with me so much. I can relate to each of the kids. Young love, so tough hah. The coach is an underrated character on this show. Cracks me up a lot of the time. Tough break for Adam at the end, but we'll see if she comes back.

maxcriden

Good finale last night. Since every bit of my teenage years was in the 80s, this show resonates with me so much. I can relate to each of the kids. Young love, so tough hah. The coach is an underrated character on this show. Cracks me up a lot of the time. Tough break for Adam at the end, but we'll see if she comes back.

You Goldbergs! I love how you just LEAVE IT ALL OUT ON THE FIELD.

Great show, very funny and sweet. Great finale. Coach is hilarious as you said!

Yeah I hate to say it, but Adam lost his cute, engaging personality. It was just awkward watching him. The show just felt different overall.

Jag

Yeah I hate to say it, but Adam lost his cute, engaging personality. It was just awkward watching him. The show just felt different overall.

The episode seemed dialed in. Almost like it was hitting a checklist. Maybe the same formula is getting old, but they need to mix it up or it won't last another season if they keep doing the same schtick.

Also everyone was too comfortable and confident. Adam needs to be alone and insecure. Barry needs to be a fuck up and the sister is way too hot to be hanging out with high school kids. She needs to be getting high and banged by college guys.

(ok, it's possible I am thinking of my own 80s childhood)

Havent ever posted in this thread before, but I've grown to really like this show. Hayley Orrantia's acting has gotten much better since season 1. I was drawn to the show because she is from the area I work in, actually got to do a video shoot with her about 4 years ago, shes really nice. But I over all I really love the style of the show and how it is about the 80s. I've always liked time peices like that.

Can't wait for the "90s comedy" to come around in about 10 years.

icespide

Banned
Havent ever posted in this thread before, but I've grown to really like this show. Hayley Orrantia's acting has gotten much better since season 1. I was drawn to the show because she is from the area I work in, actually got to do a video shoot with her about 4 years ago, shes really nice. But I over all I really love the style of the show and how it is about the 80s. I've always liked time peices like that.

Can't wait for the "90s comedy" to come around in about 10 years.

Fresh off the Boat is basically a 90s comedy, also pretty good

Raguel

I hate the main kid in this show. He's such a little weasel. The show is pure saccharine cheese but I like Barry and Erica enough as well as the dad. I just hate the little weasel Everytime he shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom