• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golden Age of JRPGs - Which Era Is It?

Cyrano

Here's my view on that one. No, no one's opinion as to what games are more enjoyable is "wrong", though some views might be harder to justify than others. I'm sure someone, somewhere out there thinks that the pre-NES era has the best RPGs of all time (I owned a few D&D games on intellivision personally) but good luck convincing anyone else of that.

As for playing games in Japanese, let's put aside the fact that gamers in that target audience (8-21, generally) with a working knowledge of japanese and the means to import were in the extreme minority, and look at this instead as a series of business decisions.

In the 16 bit era, it was very, very common for square, enix, and similar to simply arbitrarily decide not to bring high profile games over and ignore the fanbase. It was also very common for these companies to give a big middle finger to western gamers by *dumbing down* RPGs they considered "too hard" for the audience. FFIV was straight up butchered. FFV? We can't have that. But We CAN get "mystic quest", and while it's a cute game that I personally think gets more shit than it deserves, it's not FFV. We got Secret of Evermore, but no Seiken Densetsu III. Dragon Warrior I-IV gained a following on the NES, Dragon warrior 5 and 6 were totally MIA. What was the justification for any of this?

Again, as I said in a previous post- this was not the exception, this was the rule. And I didn't even touch on some games that DID make it over having bizarrely limited print runs. Ogre Battle SNES was rare as hell- Wiki gives the print run for that game as *25 thousand*. That's basically enough for Blockbuster Video and no one else. The sequel never made it over here (at least not as a SNES game), but with a print run of 25K, it was clearly never intended to.

The modern era gets shit on left and right for consumer unfriendly policies like DLC and microtransactions- It's only fair to consider the equally consumer unfriendly policies that were absolutely rampant during the 16 bit era. Whether or not some gamers could import, speak japanese, or fly to japan on lunchbreak doesn't change that- There were extremely frequent unnecessary barriers for the audience to play the games they wanted to play, that did not exist in later generations.

Ten years from now when we discuss the modern era's place in history, no one is going to handwave away shitty DLC policies just because a "game of the decade" compilation gets released 5 or 6 years down the line with all the content, or someone had an black Amex with no limit, so cost didn't matter. Likewise handwaving away japanese developer's terrible handling of western markets during the 16 bit era should also be taken into account when discussing the 16 bit era's place in history.
I feel like a lot of this is very hand-wavey and ignores that most companies at the time probably weren't even aware that their games had fanbases. Game companies from top-to-bottom were extraordinarily different now than they are today. You gotta remember that companies like Nintendo emerged from companies that previously sold hanafuda cards as a primary means of business. Square was reluctant to even enter the game market initially!
Which modern RPGs exactly? I mean, the whole souls popularity didn't really happen until Dark Souls, and even then I'd say that it was well past launch that we really started to see it pick up steam.
https://www.google.com/#q=souls-inspired+gameplay

It's a thing, like it or not.

Definitely PS1 era for me.

Final Fantasy VIII was my first RPG and my favorite game as a kid. Then we also had great gems like Persona 2, Grandia, FF Tactics, Suikoden, Breath of Fire 3/4, Xenogears and a lot of classic 16bit stuff remastered with new animations and other bells and whistles.

Being an RPG fan during the PS1 era was one of the greatest privleges one could have.

Fjordson

Playstation era is close, but I gotta go with the 16-bit era. Chrono Trigger and Final Fanasy VI are my two favourite JRPG's ever.

Alucrid

Banned
I feel like a lot of this is very hand-wavey and ignores that most companies at the time probably weren't even aware that their games had fanbases. Game companies from top-to-bottom were extraordinarily different now than they are today. You gotta remember that companies like Nintendo emerged from companies that previously sold hanafuda cards as a primary means of business. Square was reluctant to even enter the game market initially!

https://www.google.com/#q=souls-inspired+gameplay

It's a thing, like it or not.

I mean, in terms of game systems or environments. There's a reason why the whole "it's the dark souls of X" is a joke. And I'm not going to count every indie game under the sun.

I feel like a lot of this is very hand-wavey and ignores that most companies at the time probably weren't even aware that their games had fanbases.

This is a strange comment. How would square, enix, and similar (though it was mostly those two releasing JRPGs back then) *not be aware" their games had fanbases? Did they not have accounting departments? was no one tracking sales?

Game companies from top-to-bottom were extraordinarily different now than they are today. You gotta remember that companies like Nintendo emerged from companies that previously sold hanafuda cards as a primary means of business. Square was reluctant to even enter the game market initially!

We're talking the 16 bit era, not 1984. By that time square AND enix both had several high profile successful games launched in the west.

I touched on this one in my comment, but let me expand on this one a bit.

Enix saw fit to release certain games here, but not others. the reasoning for this is unclear.

For instance, Enix saw fit to release obscure JRPGs The 7th saga (though ROYALLY fucked this one up by trying to mess with the difficulty), Brain Lord, and Robotrek in the US. Dragon Warrior, their flagship franchise stayed in japan. This is even more inexplicable when you consider that every other dragon warrior installment (1 through 4) saw a release on the NES. I'm *reasonably certain* that the built in fanbase that Enix *ALREADY HAD* is more of a sure thing than say...Paladin's Quest.

On the square end of things, that argument makes even less sense. Square released FFIV here, they simply removed just about everything remotely fun about the game. Difficulty was ramped way down and half the skills were simply removed. Why? Because of a strange assumption that RPGs were too hard for americans, despite the american audience never really having a problem with *any other genre*.

And this isn't a one-off accident. Following this line of thought, Mystic Quest was developed with the US in mind, full stop. Hell, they even called it "Final Fantasy USA" for the Japanese release. it's the easiest game square has ever made. It's FFIV US with training wheels on. This is what was developed for the US audience *instead of* putting resources towards FFV, or anything else gamers might actually want to play. It's not a terrible game, but the decision to develop and promote it at all is questionable at best, and insulting at worst.

Imagine From Software making "Dark Souls Easytype" where it is impossible to die and nonexistent difficulty while JP gets "Dark Souls." Then doing it again for the sequel and making "Dark Souls USA" while JP gets "Dark Souls II" and you'll realize how infuriating some of this shit was back then.

Cyrano

True. I think a key difference from games versus film, books, music, basically any other medium is that they are new and grew expontentially, so we may not have as many of those in higher positions motivated by a love of the medium more than anything else, or in the position to create companies for the sake of them as art rather than just commercial entertainment or something in between. Film's old enough to have a lot of film buffs in high positions I'm sure to get movies made even if they fly under the radar of whatever big blockbuster hits, and books and music are self explanatory.

Although, I think games are probably in a better position overall than comics. Those were outright stunted in growth by the CCA, rating boards like the ESRB and MPAA aren't anywhere near as toxic to a medium as that was.
You could very well be right. I think I come off as an old fogey due to having grown up in the middle of all this. I remember seeing some of the aired discussions to congress back when Jack Thompson was busy spewing his filth.

It is unfortunate what happened to the comic book industry, and it saddens me greatly. Still, hearing about Ms. Marvel being Pakistani-American is somewhat rejuvenating.
I mean, in terms of game systems or environments. There's a reason why the whole "it's the dark souls of X" is a joke. And I'm not going to count every indie game under the sun.
It may have become a joke on the internet due to how fast things move on the internet but I very much doubt it's a joke to the designers who are inspired by it. I can promise you that most of them probably want to capture part of that feeling, much like many games (particularly, Japanese games) during the PSX-era were trying to capture the feeling of NGE.

Also, when designers from games like Lords of the Fallen, The Witcher 3 or Destiny are talking about trying to capture that feeling, I don't exactly think it is just an indie phenomenon.

Lasdrub

For me, it's

FF4, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mario RPG and Secret of Mana
vs
FF7, FF9, Xenogears, and FF Tactics.

PlayStation era wins for me I think. I played a lot more RPGs than those, but I decided to compare my favorites to make it easier.

edit: I just remembered Earthbound and Mario RPG, so SNES wins rather than PlayStation.

Some Nobody

Anyone over 30 should just include the 90s as one huge Golden Era, because that's how we lived it.

The classics were just back to back for the entire decade.

I'm not over 30, but I still count the 90's as a giant golden era...for pretty much everything.

Also: 32-bit. I got to play a lot of the classics from the 16-bit era on my PS1 and the games of that era as well. Some might say that's "cheating" but it's still based in facts.

Ps2

FFX + FFX-2
Shadow Hearts 1,2,3
FF12
Xenosaga 1,2,3
Valkyrie Profile 2
Persona 3+4
Dragon Quest 8
Hack 1-4, and GU 1-3
Kingdom hearts 1,2chain of memories
Digital Devil Saga 1+2
SMT Nocturne
odin Sphere
Tales of the Abyss
Star Ocean 3

and that's just off the top of my head. Ps2 was stacked with RPGs and very good RPGs at that. and they aren't all similar RPGs either, they all have very different mechanics.

Cyrano

This is a strange comment. How would square, enix, and similar (though it was mostly those two releasing JRPGs back then) *not be aware" their games had fanbases? Did they not have accounting departments? was no one tracking sales?
*sigh*
Before computers were in every home, it was notoriously difficult to track sales. Now that computers are in every home, it is still notoriously difficult to track sales. Even with an accounting department!
We're talking the 16 bit era, not 1984. By that time square AND enix both had several high profile successful games launched in the west.

I touched on this one in my comment, but let me expand on this one a bit.

Enix saw fit to release certain games here, but not others. the reasoning for this is unclear.

For instance, Enix saw fit to release 7th saga (though ROYALLY fucked this one up by trying to mess with the difficulty), Brain Lord, and Robotrek in the US. Dragon Warrior, their flagship franchise stayed in japan. This is even more inexplicable when you consider that every other dragon warrior installment (1 through 4) saw a release on the NES. I'm *reasonably certain* that the built in fanbase that Enix *ALREADY HAD* is more of a sure thing than say...Paladin's Quest.

On the square end of things, that argument makes even less sense. Square released FFIV here, they simply removed just about everything remotely fun about the game. Difficulty was ramped way down and half the skills were simply removed. Why? Because of a strange assumption that RPGs were too hard for americans, despite the american audience never really having a problem with *any other genre*.

And this isn't a one-off accident. Following this line of thought, Mystic Quest was developed with the US in mind, full stop. Hell, they even called it "Final Fantasy USA" for the Japanese release. it's the easiest game square has ever made. It's FFIV US with training wheels on. This is what was developed for the US audience *instead of* putting resources towards FFV, or anything else gamers might actually want to play. It's not a terrible game, but the decision to develop and promote it at all is questionable at best, and insulting at worst.

Imagine From Software making "Dark Souls USA" where it is impossible to die and nonexistent difficulty while JP gets "Dark Souls" and you'll realize how infuriating some of this shit was back then.
Aside from some of the discourse about difficulty changes, everything else you've said is conjecture. Yes, it's well-known that the developers frequently tweaked difficulty due to assumptions about player-bases. This still happens, though maybe with slightly more informed reasoning, but it hasn't really changed. Videogames not being released typically related to poor sales or sales not meeting expectations, and again, that still happens. So I think you should probably be just as furious about all the games that didn't get released in the PSX-era or PS2-era or PS3-era just as equally. Because these kinds of decisions are made all the time, even when there is a great deal of fan outcry.

Also, I lived through all of this and never really found it "infuriating." In certain cases I agreed with the changes, in other cases I didn't. I wasn't particularly aggrieved because I didn't always get what I wanted. Heck, I still rather miss not getting Rhapsody of Zephyr on the Dreamcast, but I would hardly consider it the end of the world (plus my interest in it led tangentially to my love of retro Korean videogames).

*sigh*
Before computers were in every home, it was notoriously difficult to track sales. Now that computers are in every home, it is still notoriously difficult to track sales. Even with an accounting department!

now you're just making excuses. Square and Enix were perfectly well aware of how many copies they shipped overseas, and how many of them got sold. They are in the same position as every other company making videogames at that time.

The issues I raised are *exclusive* to The big two and JRPGs and largely did not occur in other genres, or other companies. The vast majority of Capcom, Konami's, Data East's, Tecmo's, Nintendo's etc high profile output was released just fine. These issues also magically cleared up at the beginning of the 32 bit generation and haven't been seen since.

Aside from some of the discourse about difficulty changes, everything else you've said is conjecture. Yes, it's well-known that the developers frequently tweaked difficulty due to assumptions about player-bases.

The issues I raised go a bit farther than simple "difficulty tweaks." Mystic Quest instead of FFV is not a "difficulty tweak." And how is Dragon Warrior/Quest having an established fanbase "conjecture?" Not only did that series have 4 NES installments, it also had a syndicated cartoon that ran in the US during height of the NES series' popularity. Then the SNES launches and suddenly Enix pretends we've never heard of it.

This still happens, though maybe with slightly more informed reasoning, but it hasn't really changed. Videogames not being released typically related to poor sales or sales not meeting expectations, and again, that still happens. So I think you should probably be just as furious about all the games that didn't get released in the PSX-era or PS2-era or PS3-era just as equally. Because these kinds of decisions are made all the time, even when there is a great deal of fan outcry.

This issue was exclusive to the 16 bit era. literally every major JRPG developed during the PS1 and PS2 era made it across the pond and was localized, and on top of that 16 bit titles that were passed over ended up getting releases. Ogre Battle 1 got a re-release, and Tactics ogre and FFV got their western debuts. The situations aren't remotely comparable.

Also, I lived through all of this and never really found it "infuriating." In certain cases I agreed with the changes, in other cases I didn't. I wasn't particularly aggrieved because I didn't always get what I wanted. Heck, I still rather miss not getting Rhapsody of Zephyr on the Dreamcast, but I would hardly consider it the end of the world (plus my interest in it led tangentially to my love of retro Korean videogames).

I'm not talking about a hyper obscure game with limited appeal not making it over, I'm talking about high profile, flagship titles simply either not being localized, or having content removed.

Cyrano

now you're just making excuses. Square and Enix were perfectly well aware of how many copies they shipped overseas, and how many of them got sold. They are in the same position as every other company making videogames at that time.
No they weren't! Do you have any idea how hard tracking that data is?

The issues I raised are *exclusive* to The big two and JRPGs and largely did not occur in other genres, or other companies. The vast majority of Capcom, Konami's, Data East's, Tecmo's, Nintendo's etc high profile output was released just fine. These issues also magically cleared up at the beginning of the 32 bit generation and haven't been seen since.
No they weren't, but much like 7th Dragon or Final Fantasy Type-0 or Soma Bringer or Blood of Bahamut or Archaic Sealed Heat, they were probably just never brought to your attention.
The issues I raised go a bit farther than simple "difficulty tweaks." Mystic Quest instead of FFV is not a "difficulty tweak." And how is Dragon Warrior/Quest having an established fanbase "conjecture?" Not only did that series have 4 NES installments, it also had a syndicated cartoon that ran in the US during height of the NES series' popularity. Then the SNES launches and suddenly Enix pretends we've never heard of it.
If this is how you want to interpret it, that's fine. It could also be that it was just seen as too big of an expense given that translating jRPGs is time-consuming and expensive. This was and is frequently the reason I've seen as for why games are not ported. It's also why many games end up taking forever to be released here. If you have 500kb of plain-text to translate, it's gonna take a damn long time to translate and edit it. Not every company is willing or can do that. During the 90s especially, given that the videogame industry particularly was and still is a boom/bust market.

This issue was exclusive to the 16 bit era. literally every major JRPG developed during the PS1 and PS2 era made it across the pond and was localized, and on top of that 16 bit titles that were passed over ended up getting releases. Ogre Battle 1 got a re-release, and Tactics ogre and FFV got their western debuts. The situations aren't remotely comparable.
That's a laugh. Dragon Force 2. Langrisser IV/V.

Just because you aren't aware of them doesn't mean they didn't sell extraordinarily well and weren't high-profile at the time.

I'm not talking about a hyper obscure game with limited appeal not making it over, I'm talking about high profile, flagship titles simply either not being localized, or having content removed.
Mother 3.

No they weren't! Do you have any idea how hard tracking that data is?

You're implying that Square and Enix have NO IDEA how many copies they're selling overseas, yet *no other company* at that time was having that problem. Did Street Fighter II: Champion Edition just *not show up* because Capcom had no idea it was popular in the west? Did SEGA throw their hands in the air and refuse to port Sonic 2, because they had no idea americans were buying it? Your assertion here makes no sense at all. And Again- this issue vanished with the advent of the 32 bit generation. Major titles not getting localized suddenly became very rare literally overnight.

No they weren't, but much like 7th Dragon or Final Fantasy Type-0 or Soma Bringer or Blood of Bahamut or Archaic Sealed Heat, they were probably just never brought to your attention.

and speaking of nonsense, are you implying that 7th Dragon, Soma Bringer, and Archaic Sealed Heat are *anywhere near* the level of Dragon Quest 5 and Final Fantasy 5 in the 90s?? This is EXTREMELY dishonest. Final Fantasy Type-0 is the only example here that's anywhere in the same ballpark, and THAT game's issues stem from being developed on a platform that had been dead in the west for years by the time of release. It's an outlier, not the norm. The situation in the mid 90s was the exact opposite.

If this is how you want to interpret it, that's fine. It could also be that it was just seen as too big of an expense given that translating jRPGs is time-consuming and expensive. This was and is frequently the reason I've seen as for why games are not ported. It's also why many games end up taking forever to be released here. If you have 500kb of plain-text to translate, it's gonna take a damn long time to translate and edit it. Not every company is willing or can do that. During the 90s especially, given that the videogame industry particularly was and still is a boom/bust market.

Again, complete BS. What's more time consuming? Translating a jrpg, or *developing a US-only game from scratch, from the ground up?* And Square did this not once but twice- Developing FFMQ for the US audience instead of FFV, and Secret of Evermore instead of Seiken Densetsu 3. Is your argument here that development of those games is less expensive than simply porting pre-existing games from japan?

That's a laugh. Dragon Force 2. Langrisser IV/V.

not even in the same league. hell, not even the same sport. You're reaching here. No one on this board would call those games "major releases" by any definition. If you disagree, feel free to post their sales figures in japan, I'm sure they'll compare favorably to a mainline FF or DQ entry.

Just because you aren't aware of them doesn't mean they didn't sell extraordinarily well and weren't high-profile at the time.

You have no idea what I am and am not aware of.

Mother 3.

One game out of nintendo's entire output! and coincidentally- it's a jrpg. Thanks again for proving my point for me.

BlackJace

I'm still confused as to why the lack of localizations has anything to do with the quality or output of the era. People still got to play the games.

Bardiche

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne alone makes the PS2 "New-ish" era the best. Modern era doesn't look that bad either with Shin Megami Tensei IV's perfection and Persona 5 coming out.

Cyrano

You're implying that Square and Enix have NO IDEA how many copies they're selling overseas, yet *no other company* at that time was having that problem. Did Street Fighter II: Champion Edition just *not show up* because Capcom had no idea it was popular in the west? Did SEGA throw their hands in the air and refuse to port Sonic 2, because they had no idea americans were buying it? Your assertion here makes no sense at all. And Again- this issue vanished with the advent of the 32 bit generation. Major titles not getting localized suddenly became very rare literally overnight.
No, I'm stating that the data is hard to track. And it is.

and speaking of nonsense, are you implying that 7th Dragon, Soma Bringer, and Archaic Sealed Heat are *anywhere near* the level of Dragon Quest 5 and Final Fantasy 5 in the 90s?? This is EXTREMELY dishonest. Final Fantasy Type-0 is the only example here that's anywhere in the same ballpark, and THAT game's issues stem from being developed on a platform that had been dead in the west for years by the time of release. It's an outlier, not the norm. The situation in the mid 90s was the exact opposite.
You're now stating that anything that doesn't corroborate with your argument is an outlier. Also, 7th Dragon was the best-selling game on the DS the week of its release. No, none of these games post numbers like those of mainline Final Fantasy titles, but do you honestly think that these games were not major releases for the companies that made them? Or that they weren't well-received in their country of initial release? Or that there wasn't a huge fanbase surrounding them?

Again, complete BS. What's more time consuming? Translating a jrpg, or *developing a US-only game from scratch, from the ground up?* And Square did this not once but twice- Developing FFMQ for the US audience instead of FFV, and Secret of Evermore instead of Seiken Densetsu 3. Is your argument here that development of those games is less expensive than simply porting pre-existing games from japan?
I don't even know how to respond to this. You're chastising Square for taking risks during a time when people were calling jRPGs stale. It's also entirely tangential and misses the point of my argument by presenting a new one.

not even in the same league. hell, not even the same sport. You're reaching here. No one on this board would call those games "major releases" by any definition. If you disagree, feel free to post their sales figures in japan, I'm sure they'll compare favorably to a mainline FF or DQ entry.
You're sitting here arguing how easy sales figures are to find and understand, yet finding these sales figures is difficult because? Just pointing out the irony, is all.

As for their numbers, Langrisser and Dragon Force were both some of the most successful non-Square RPG franchises in their respective eras.

One game out of nintendo's entire output! and coincidentally- it's a jrpg. Thanks again for proving my point for me.
One game that you're willing to admit is important. All the others you're simply ignoring because it's comfortable to do so.

This is a difficult question to answer.

Anywhere within the SNES, PS1 and PS2 era is the correct answer depending on who you're speaking with.

I'm still confused as to why the lack of localizations has anything to do with the quality or output of the era. People still got to play the games.

Did they? Some games have never been released. (SD3, Mystic Arc, Live A Live)

Some games were released 5 or ten years later, with inferior ports. (FFV)

Some games saw US release, but were crippled (FFIV), broken (7th Saga), or had such limited release they might as well have not come out. (ogre battle).

You can't ignore the realities of the market and the state the games were actually IN when discussing the gen.

Edit: it's 2:30 on the EC, I'm out

BlackJace

Did they? Some games have never been released. (SD3, Mystic Arc, Live A Live)

Some games were released 5 or ten years later, with inferior ports. (FFV)

Some games saw US release, but were crippled (FFIV), broken (7th Saga), or had such limited release they might as well have not come out. (ogre battle).

You can't ignore the realities of the market and the state the games were actually IN when discussing the gen.

You're kind of jumping around. My response was to your claim that the localization of many titles should be taken into account in this discussion. I'm simply questioning how relevant that actually is.

And I don't even know how to respond to the point that boils down to complaining about bad(?) ports. Again, it seems irrelevant when the games were released in a better state elsewhere.

32 bit.

We had Grandia, Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga & Dragon Force and on the saturn

We had Breath of Fire 3, Suikoden, Final Fantasy IX, Suikoden 2, Star Ocean 2, Wild Arms and Vandal Hearts on the PSX.

16 bit era was great (DQV, Chrono Trigger), but 32 bit was the best time for sheer quantity of top-tier jrpgs.

modern era, psp, ds. Nothing beats the rpg on those systems

kw.jpg

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
What are they going to call the "modern era" once the next era has been established as the modern era? And how long until the "New-ish" era becomes the "Old-ish" era?

Cyrano

32 bit.

We had Grandia, Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga & Dragon Force and on the saturn

We had Breath of Fire 3, Suikoden, Final Fantasy IX, Suikoden 2, Star Ocean 2, Wild Arms and Vandal Hearts on the PSX.

16 bit era was great (DQV, Chrono Trigger), but 32 bit was the best time for sheer quantity of top-tier jrpgs.
I still think Dragon Quarter was the best BoF. It's also by far the most difficult, but I think it had a lot to say about peoples' images of themselves. Breath of Fire III was fun, but it definitely feels like fluff from start to finish. Still...

dat overworld music

I will say that Fisherman's Horizon and To A Distant Place were pieces that I frequently fell asleep to after long nights playing games when I was younger.

I would argue that by quantity, the SNES probably had just as many great jRPGs as the PSX though.

Still, Secret of Evermore is just wonderfully moody.

16-bit era wins for me, but there's so much good stuff out there from all over the timeline. Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, and FFVI are all just too damn amazing for me to vote otherwise. One day I swear I'll play through the Genesis titles as well.

I really enjoy seeing the love for PS2 RPGs. IIRC, the general consensus during that era was that there weren't enough nearly enough great RPG's, compared to PS1. I never really understood what those folks were talking about.

Also yes, games like Xenoblade, Last Story, Resonance of Fate, SMTIV are all awesome as well. 3DS is really stepping up the RPG game, and DS/PSP were right on the money too. Even the GCN and GBA had some killer titles. Man, I love this genre, there's just too much to rave about.

Tomohawk

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne alone makes the PS2 "New-ish" era the best. Modern era doesn't look that bad either with Shin Megami Tensei IV's perfection and Persona 5 coming out.
In what world is smt4 perfect. It starts of good but is average at best by the end.

I still think Dragon Quarter was the best BoF. It's also by far the most difficult, but I think it had a lot to say about peoples' images of themselves. Breath of Fire III was fun, but it definitely feels like fluff from start to finish. Still...

dat overworld music

I don't know about fluff. The characterisation was excellent, particularly that of ryu, rei and garr. ryu's "coming of age" arc with balio and sunder is one of my favourite things in video games

I would argue that by quantity, the SNES probably had just as many great jRPGs as the PSX though.

Still, Secret of Evermore is just wonderfully moody.

Yeah, but the mega drive didn't have as many as the saturn.

Domstercool

Has to be the polygon era (psx). It just had so many damn great RPGs. I noticed they talked about FFT, so I guess this includes SRPGs too, haha, oh man, too many.

Suikoden II, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, FFVII, Front Mission 3, Grandia, Chrono Cross, Shining Force III, to name a few.

kevm3

PSX Era slightly beats out the SNES era to me.
FF6 and Chrono Trigger are some of the best RPGs made period, but for the most part, it was Square making the majority of the classics

however, on PSX, we have games like
Vandal Hearts, Suikoden series, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogear,s Breath of Fire 3, Lunar Remakes, Grandia, Arc the Lad series, Alundra, Valkyrie Profile, Front Mission 3, Vagrant Story, etc.

Sinoox

Banned
Probably PS2, there wasn't a shortage and the quality was usually excellent. PS1 is a super strong contender as well, had tons of original content and ports.

Xilium

1) Polygon era (PS1, 64, Saturn, GBA)
1) "New-ish" era (PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast)
These two eras are tied for first for me. While I feel that the PS2 era had higher highs (many of my all-time favorites are from this generation), the PS1 era had volume and variety (and much of it was good).

3) Modern era (PS3, 360, Wii, DS, 3DS, PSP, Vita)
I'm actually quite happy with the modern era of JRPGs (and games in general). While from a plot point-of-view I don't think modern JRPGs are quite as memorable as those from previous generations, mechanically/gameplay-wise I think they've improved significantly and I really have no desire for them to be the way they used to be.

4) 16-bit era
Chrono Trigger will probably forever be in my top 5 all-time favorite RPGs, but it's only one game. I did really like Super Mario RPG as well as Earthbound but there are many other RPGs from the eras ranked above this one that I enjoyed equally or more. As for Final Fantasy, the SNES era ones are my least favorite in the series(before anyone ask, FF4 and FF6 were my first FFs).

5) 8-bit era
I didn't start playing RPGs till the 16-bit era but I frankly have no interest in playing anything from this era.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I guess this depends on whether you know Japanese or not. We got more games localized from the PS2 era onwards, but in terms of quality 32 and 16 bit eras seem to have the most classics, but Europe missed a huge chunk of those.

Top Bottom