• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golden King Bullet-Hell Shooter Ikaruga XBLA Official Thread

west

shintoki said:
NOOOOO, the lazey beam spun the other way:lol

I can kind of relate, even if it feels supid to complain like that. Small changes hurts the game alot when it comes to the hardcores:

-scores are no longer comparable
-practice not tranferable to arcade

Seems trivial, but one of the pilars of shmups is that they are identical every play trough.

Psychotext said:
I love some of the setups people here have... but I'm waiting to see the first 40"+ screen turned sideways. :lol
Yeah. I've got a 42", but I'm having trouble imagining how it can be held sideways.

Are there even rotating wall mounts to do this?

Slavik81

shintoki said:
NOOOOO, the lazey beam spun the other way:lol
I wanted to see how I could improve so I downloaded the top score.
He died once on level 4. I wasn't expecting that.

Aside from that, the replay is fucking insane

soldat7

I'm curious as to why Treasure didn't include the story apparently found in the manual in the game itself (http://www.destructoid.com/the-thinking-man-s-ikaruga-stop-and-smell-the-duality-60929.phtml):

Destructoid said:
Before we've even begun, Ikaruga already stands out among other shmups in that it even has a backstory, not even mentioning the fact that it's a pretty damn good one. You won't find it anywhere but in the game's instruction booklet, but it's there.

The tale begins several years before the start of the game, on the small island nation of Horai. Tenro Horai, one of the nation's most powerful men, discovered an object deep underground during an excavation project, which was found to have extraordinary power. Using this "Power of the Gods," Tenro and his followers soon began conquering other nations, "in the name of peace" until they had nearly conquered all civilization.

In an effort to free the world of Horai's conquests, a small federation called Tenkaku rose up to challenge his empire. No match for the power at Horai's disposal, the Tenkaku lost battle after battle, and were completely wiped out, save for one pilot named Shinra. Dragged from the wreckage of his fighter after being shot down, Shinra awakens to find himself nursed back to health by the elderly citizens of a remote village called Ikaruga, to which they had been exiled during Horai's takeover. Upon regaining his strength, Shinra pledges to stop the Horai at any cost, and finds that the elderly villagers have built a fighter of their own design, also named Ikaruga.

Far from any ordinary ship, the Ikaruga was designed by an ingenious engineer named Amanai, and built with the help of other aging village leaders. It was the first ship ever built to handle both light and dark energy polarities, and was the first to be capable of switching between the two at any time. The villagers, because of their strong faith in him, entrust the ship to Shinra. In 2-player mode, Shinra is joined in his quest by Kagari, a former Horai mercenary whose life he had spared. Eager to redeem her past, she sets out in her own ship, the Ginkei, to aid him in his cause. So begins the game. Not a bad plot for a PEW PEW PEW title.

I really wonder why this wasn't placed in-game; somewhere within the Options menu would have sufficed...

Enk

makes good threads.
Gowans007 said:
just checked the leaderboard.

Wow lowest ranked friend is now at 22k.

GAFers all in my top 5.

1. 4,044,110 - Wario64
2. 3,673,960 - CarjoleJuice
3. 1,658,520 - Psychotext
4. 1,232,310 - C4Lukins
5. 1,015,030 - Gowans007

You can add me to your list as well. Current score is: 4,168,220

Tag: Sam Sawyer

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
soldat7 said:
I really wonder why this wasn't placed in-game; somewhere within the Options menu would have sufficed...
It was included in the Japanese releases. The chapter and character profiles here were part of the unlockable galeries. The text was cut from the English localization because Atari didn't think it was worth their time to translate it. A complete screenplay of the game was also included on the Dreamcast GD-ROM, and you could access it simply by inserting the game into your computer.

Treasure actually had their not-completely-fluent-in-English receptionist translate the sidebar and cutscene text this time around though, so at least it's something.

HokieJoe

Sorry guys, I had to bump this thread. I just finished playing the demo to this game and I love it. Heh, everything went smoother once I figured out you're supposed to hold down on the fire button. ;-)

Anyway, awesome game. I probably wouldn't have known about it were it not for Shard's thread and all the hype. Thanks GAF. This will go into my arcade collection.

Still playing it, anyone else?

One of those games that you can go back to time & time again and it feels fresh every time, thanks in part to it's gorgeous graphics, stellar enemy placement and fire rates, very well designed levels.

The co-op has been iffy, but it's beautiful local and single player.

Oh, and the NXE 'cover' on the recent games list is really nice!

Tain

I'll go back for the 1cc some day, I think. For as riled up as I get over Treasure and the praise their two star shooters get, I can't deny that Ikaruga is a great game, and probably about as worthy of my time as, say, Battle Garegga.

For now, though, I'm juggling too many other arcade (not xbla) games.

Man, I haven't played Ikaruga in ages... I should start practicing again. It's still the best shmup in existence as far as I am concerned. A perfect harmony of gut-wrenchingly difficult ( and awesome ) gameplay, beautiful visuals and an epic soundtrack. Heck, I even bought an arcade-stick just for that game.

Jonsoncao said:
how to unlock level 4?

i ve beaten the level 3 boss but there is no level 4 option.....

Are you playing from the beginning or are you starting at chapter 3? I think you can only unlock the next level if you are playing from the beginning. I don't remember though, just a guess.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I miss playing the GC version. Haven't played it in a while due to not using my Wii in forever. I'll probably play it again once NMH2, Metroid: Other M, and S&P2 hits.

Top Bottom