• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great NeoGAF Tablet PC gaming audit: games at your fingertips

SmZA

This thread is an audit of Windows PC games' playability on a tablet or touchscreen monitor.

I recently bought an Asus Vivotab Smart
Update: now using Acer T232HL desktop multi-touch monitor.

Many games, including the vast majority of classic point-and-click adventure games, won't run at all. A lot of games play OK but don't allow you to quit. Some behave weirdly with a touchscreen, or rely heavily on right-clicking which is cumbersome on tablet.

If you've just bought a Windows 8 tablet you might be hoping to play your back catalogue of games as if it they were iOS or Android apps. Unfortunately, unless it was bought from the Windows 8 Store it's more than likely unplayable.

I am going to start it off with a bunch of games I've tested myself and I hope others will join in. However, there are some caveats:

• This is not a reviews thread. The only question answered here is whether a game is playable on a tablet or touchscreen monitor.
  • Performance is not covered here. Tablets and desktops with multi-touch monitors have widely-varying specs.
  • Before testing, please remove any mouse or keyboard, including docks. As soon as you plug a M/KB into your tablet, it becomes a low-powered desktop PC. Many games (as you'll find out below) fail to launch if they can't detect a mouse on the system. Physically unplug them (and disconnect any bluetooth devices) before launching the game or your results will be misleading.
  • Play the game with your fingers. We want to know if the game can be played on the train, or lying in bed, or on a Comfy Couch (TM). If you have a fancier tablet with a Wacom stylus, please try it both with and without. Can you tap without fear of selecting the wrong unit, or setting your character on fire? How forgiving is the game?
  • No Windows Store (RT/Win8) games as they're designed with tablet in mind.

I have a rudimentary rating system for my tests:

I will rate a game as playable if it can be played entirely with the fingertips, from launching to quitting. There may be some quirks which I will detail but they are not enough to spoil the game.

Some games will be more than playable; they will be preferred. This is entirely subjective, but there are some games I would much rather play with a tablet on a couch than sitting at a keyboard. These are the games that would be successful iOS or Android ports (and often are).

Unplayable is obvious but there are many possible reasons which I will state.

Can you quit? is a separate but important question. Many games are played with a mouse, but assume you have a keyboard attached so you can press ESC and quit. On a tablet, quitting these games is a frustrating exercise. If the game is awesome enough, you may be willing to deal with this frustration.
(Update: touch monitors like my Acer may be even worse due to no Windows key - I'll be re-testing and updating where necessary)

Before I launch into my ratings, let me restate for emphasis: most of these problems disappear when you plug in a mouse and/or keyboard. This thread assumes you can't or won't resort to that solution.

The games

DOSBox, SCUMMVM, Adventure Game Studio

(Update: there have been improvements since; see below)

DOSBox and AGS-based games fail straight away if no mouse is detected on the system. I guess touchscreens aren't technically mice? Even though they're both used similarly to point at areas of the screen?

If you own as many GoG.com games as I do, this knocks out most of your collection.

Here's the message I get when launching Ben There, Dan That!, an AGS game:

ixMEPxaMqqkHi.png

Every AGS game I've tried gives the same message, including all the Wadjet Eye games (Blackwell, The Shivah, Gemini Rue etc). If you plug a mouse in before launching, then unplug once the game has started, you'll probably be okay. I'm personally not willing to bother with that at the moment, but you might think differently. Otherwise, we can only hope that there's a patch for AGS, or someone makes a driver that makes games see the touchscreen as a mouse in Windows.

DOSBox I'm more optimistic about, as it's open source and someone may be able to modify it. There may be a configuration option I haven't yet found.

SCUMMVM will launch but is impossible to control with touch. Even the menu is unusable.

For the purpose of this thread any game using DOSBox, SCUMMVM, or Adventure Game Studio is currently unplayable on a tablet/touch PC.

Telltale Games

Now for some good news. I have tried three of Telltale's adventure game series on my Asus and I'm happy to say they are excellent on tablet.

From the first series of Sam & Max adventures, I tried Episode 103: The Mole, The Mob and the Meatball. I had stopped playing this series after the first two because they hadn't gripped me enough to justify sitting at a desk for hours clicking on things. On my tablet, it's a whole different story. I can have it lying around while I'm cooking or something and reach over to tap the screen when I think of a possible puzzle solution. The characters and items are big and easy to use with fingers (no pixel-bitching). The menu is easy to access and navigate. Even better, some of the mini games (like the whack-a-rat, below) are easier on the tablet than with a mouse.

ibc26quGwUs6L1.png

I haven't played through the whole thing, but from the time I've spent so far the tablet is by far my preferred choice for playing Sam & Max.

Similarly, the Strong Bad episodes are rated as preferred, for all the same reasons.

i1t1KlbN5XA3T.png

I've already played through them all but if you haven't already, grab them and play them on a tablet.

Unfortunately, the Puzzle Agent games don't fare quite as well.

ibqMySdkeJiEZL.png

They launch fine, and they play fine. They're great games, and I'd love to recommend them. But like a lot of games I tried, they're playable, but won't let you quit.

Unlike Sam & Max and Strong Bad, there's no clickable menu in the top left. You'll have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del. Which you don't have on your tablet. So tap the Start button and hope you can work out how to shut the game down.

Defcon

iv10dcCMWAU5Q.png

This one hurts almost as much as DOSBox. I can't think of another game I would want to play more on a tablet, just to see the looks on people's faces on the train as I control global thermonuclear war on my portable device. The game runs well, and it looks beautiful. Amazingly, you can even use multi-touch to zoom in and out (probably because Windows 8 uses it to emulate the mouse-wheel). Unfortunately it is unplayable, because it relies heavily on right-clicking, and right-clicking doesn't work in this game.

If your tablet is anything like mine, if you tap and hold for a second or more, your left-click becomes a right-click. That works most of the time. But not in Defcon.

Botanicula, Machinarium, Samorost 2

ibqRdZjO0Xnfxg.png

More good news. These are all preferred on tablet. They are more fiddly than the Telltale games but not annoyingly so. I suspect any Flash-based point-and-click game is going to work well on tablet because they rarely use right-click.

Botanicula does use right-click, to raise the top menu. But unlike Defcon, it works, and you won't use it often enough for it to get annoying.

TRAUMA

iyTffhiUcSMWc.png

Another Flash game, so like the Amanita games it is preferred on tablet. However, because of its gesture-based interface, it is a far, far better experience on tablet. On desktop with a mouse, it's a bit of a pain. On tablet, it is fantastic.

Peggle

iRz3l9FsaTBb7.png

You'd think this would be great on tablet, given Peggle's been ported to just about every other touch device, even the DS. Nope. It's unplayable.

On desktop, Peggle uses the mouse position to aim, and click to launch. With touch, there's only click (tap). This means as soon as you try to aim, the ball launches in the direction the launcher was previously aimed at.

This is an interesting quirk. If you think Peggle is too easy, try it on tablet. You will have to launch the ball while simultaneously setting up for the next shot. This was too challenging for me, and I gave up. You might enjoy it!

Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 3

iotzpZifcm3XK.png

The screen says it all. Use keyboard or gamepad to play. Why do I even mention it?

Because it was simultaneously released on iOS and Android. I hope in future developers become more aware of tablet PCs as a viable platform, and include touch interface as an option. Unplayable.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!

iRzgHPrF80KyN.png

Fun, weird game. Some of the icons are on the small side but due to its casual gameplay it is preferred on tablet PC.

Bejewelled

ih0jJGbUscBMM.png

I have no interest in playing it, but I tested it. No issues. If you like it, I'd say it's preferred on touchscreen, again due to its casual nature.

Plants vs. Zombies

isBsbVcEHWVhW.png

Again, no issues. Preferred.

To The Moon

ibzI9T1RORFYWf.png

This one's unplayable, but in a whole new way. The game responds incredibly poorly to touch. I thought it wasn't responding at all and I couldn't get past the menu until I guess I tapped hard enough or often enough to start the game. Then I had to tap furiously to advance every dialogue. Avoid.

Uplink

i5QESXhbK0IA0.png

When starting a new game you have to type in a name and password. Assuming you manage to do that once, you'll never have to do it again. Dumb, but past that point it's more or less playable. However the interface may be too fiddly for it to be fun. I also had a pink triangle glitch (see screen) that may or may not appear on your machine. Try it if you already own it, but otherwise avoid.

Sanitarium

ikWdCiTyChiL0.png

Unplayable, I think. Couldn't work out how to move the guy around. It may rely on right-click too much.

SpaceChem

imwLzr9xCAJ4z.png

Like Defcon, this is another one I really hoped would work. It relies on right-clicking way too much and dragging the icons around doesn't work well. What a shame, it would be fantastic on tablet. Unplayable.

World of Goo

ig9FIsWnQFThE.png

This is a tough one. I initially found it playable, with a few annoyances. You can't drag the screen to scroll, you have to go to the edge like with a mouse, but it scrolls way too fast. You can't click and drag a goo, you have to select it first so it's highlighted, then drag it. I got used to these quirks, played a few levels, and had fun.

Then I got to the level in the screen above. The wheels are turning the goos around and you have to quickly select and drag the yellow one off one wheel and on to the next. But while the goos are moving, I can't keep them selected long enough to be able to drag them. Because I can't pass this one level, I have to rate the game unplayable here, even though I'll probably continue playing other levels.

World of Goo has been ported to other touch devices so I can only hope the PC version will be updated.

Osmos

ibmk7P4Xt8JOEc.png

Like so many others this should be the perfect touchscreen game (it even has an iOS port) but it's uplayable. I'm not sure why, I just find it much harder to control, and in the difficult levels it's painful. It's either poor response to touch, or the hold-to-right-click getting in the way. It's also another game that's hard to quit, and every time you die you'll have to switch to start menu and switch back in to bring up the main menu.

Frozen Synapse

ibncscY2BB5lE8.png

Should be awesome. Isn't. Too fiddly, relies on right-click. Unlike Defcon, you can't pinch to zoom. Has an iPad port. Unplayable.

Spectromancer

ibrBC87FZ0oV4w.png

You know that thing Steam does, where it displays the game's registration key and you just press Shift+Tab to make it go away? When you have no way to press Shift+Tab, it's really annoying. Spectromancer is otherwise great on tablet. If you like Kard Combat on iOS this is basically the same game. Preferred.

Edit: I played a little more and realised it is very easy to accidentally cast spells. If you want to look at a spell card without casting it, you'll have to do a workaround to select it without casting. Not insurmountable. Rating downgraded to playable, with quirks.

SmZA

FTL: Faster Than Light

i9T4DK9MFIkL2.png

This game has a graphics problem on my tablet - see picture. I'd be interested if anyone else has found the same.

Regardless, the game is unplayable because it doesn't work with touch. The mouse pointer responds chaotically, as with SCUMMVM.

It's a shame, because this game would be awesome on a tablet. It's controlled entirely by clicking and the 2D graphics aren't demanding. It may rely on right-clicking too much, I'm not sure because I can't get that far.

SmZA

Bone: Out From Boneville

igUNWyL9pNfp6.png

Bone, like the other Telltale games, is preferred. But it reminded me of something I forgot to mention earlier: all their games won't let you skip the introduction. With the other games it didn't matter so much but the Bone intro is a long and tedious monologue that fails to capture the comic's charm.

So, how about some comments. Are my results so far surprising to you? If you own a tablet, have you tried playing games on it? If you don't, has this thread affected the chance you'll buy one in the future?

I would particularly appreciate insight from developers or programmers on the nitty-gritty of touch control in games. Why are my results so hugely varied with no apparent pattern?

Zeknurn

I'm planning on picking up a Win 8 tablet when the 8.1 devices start hitting and I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Subscribed.

It's a shame that Defcon, Uplink and Frozen Synapse aren't working very well. Especially considering that the latter two are available on Ipad. Someone should ask Introversion and Mode 7 if they plan on fixing the PC versions.

Any chance you could check Civilization V and XCOM: Enemy Unknown?

SmZA

8.1 will be a free upgrade and I reckon the tablets are pretty awesome right now. But let us know what you think when you do get one.

I don't own either of those games I'm afraid; I suspect Xcom wouldn't run too well. Anyone out there have the capability to check?

SmZA

Pharaoh

ibkENwT0uhBYIQ.png

An old city-building classic that is unfortunately unplayable due to poor response to pressure.

SmZA

Greed Corp

iHD9UZHocWVqH.jpg

This game's interface would work great on tablet as it's very similar to the iOS version. Unplayable due to poor touch response. Also flickering graphics on my Asus.

SmZA

Audiosurf

iEuAVM0SyGcPO.jpg

This would make a good tablet game because of its simple interface and casual play. Unfortunately unplayable due to use of mouse movement rather than mouse clicks for control. The ship just lurches from one side of the track to the other.

HoosTrax

Auditorium

iEuAVM0SyGcPO.jpg

This would make a good tablet game because of its simple interface and casual play. Unfortunately unplayable due to use of mouse movement rather than mouse clicks for control. The ship just lurches from one side of the track to the other.
Audiosurf is compatible with both the 360 and keyboard controls as I recall. Which brings us to:

On my Android (I realize it's not a "PC"), Splashtop HD gives you on screen controls for whatever button input you want to mimic.

SmZA

Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

icUAOgHo0i5YI.jpg

Since DosBox and SCUMMVM won't work without a mouse, this is the last option to play Monkey Island by touch. It's unplayable, but for a number of small reasons that may or may not matter to you.

On my Asus the touch positioning was slightly off, especially in dialogue scenes. I was hammering at the dialogue options for ages until I realised that if I touched slightly below the line, my 'click' would register.

Right-clicking works by the press-to-hold method, so the two-option interface (left- and right-click) is usable, but slower than with a mouse.

Like the Telltale games, you can't skip through title credits or dialogue.

You can't open the menu once you're in the game. This means you can't, uh, save and restore.

Finally, this is a game you absolutely cannot quit. All other games so far have allowed some convoluted method of getting to the desktop or task manager. Monkey Island disabled the Start button on Win8, and if I went to the lock screen and back the game would still be there. The only way I could stop the game was to do a hard reboot.

SmZA

Telltale Texas Hold 'em

ib00BedptJnmv0.jpg

I don't own Poker Night after all; this is what I got in the bundle. There were no issues whatsoever with it so I'm listing it as preferred. Seriously, what is Telltale doing that their games all work flawlessly on tablet, and why do so many other companies fail so badly?

I have no interest in owning Poker Night but any TT game is a safe bet at this point.

M3d10n

I expect some crafty people to come up with mouse emulation software for older, incompatible games at some point, just like we have 360 controller emulation apps.

SmZA

Zafehouse Diaries

i70xaFFXm8TE4.jpg

Another game that is so, so close to tablet gaming perfection but falls short in a few key areas.

First, you can't quit. At least, I haven't figured out how yet.

Second, you can't save.

While the interface as a whole is pretty awesome, moving the characters around the map is really hard. The icons are too small and difficult to click-and-drag.

Despite all this, I've been playing the game quite a lot. I just start a new game every time and play it like a Roguelike, wandering through the zombie infested town until I get bored. However, this thread is a recommendation thread and despite the fun I'm having I can't recommend anyone buy this game for their tablet in its current state. Unplayable.

SmZA

After a few weeks using the tablet, here's what I've currently got installed on it:

TRAUMA - A great, short experience. I beat the game but will return to it to pick up the remaining easter eggs if I feel like it.
Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble - A little fiddly but I'll jump in for a few minutes every so often.
Botanicula - I think I'm getting close to the end. Great game, near-perfect tablet game.
Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die! - As above, though the dialogue can get repetitive and you can't skip it.
Zafehouse Diaries - See previous post, technically unplayable but I'm having fun with it.

At the moment, Steam is uninstalled. All these games are via GoG or Humble Bundle. I've been finding Steam unreliable and it shuts me out of my games. It just isn't a great solution for devices that aren't always online.

When I find time I want to start contacting developers directly to ask about tablet support. In many cases the issues that make games unplayable seem really simple to solve. If anyone wants to start doing this themselves, whether via email, twitter or forums, be my guest.

SmZA

Reviving this thread because recently some awesome person did something huge:

Modified SDL.DLL to allow touch control

This means DOSBox and SCUMMVM games now work! It's not perfect, and doesn't supply a direct touch interface - it's more like controlling a trackpad with the screen. But pretty much every adventure game is now playable on tablets.

While I'm here I'll also mention that Papers, Please has been updated to allow touch control. Go buy it if you haven't already!

Unfortunately I can't provide screenshots because today I cracked my screen. Rather than bother fixing it I'll prob. sell it for parts and buy a Surface somewhere down the track. So this thread will likely die again but I hope we continue to see Tablet PC gaming continue in support.

SmZA

I replaced my Windows tablet with an Android (Asus 7" Fonepad) but I now have an Acer T232HL multi-touch monitor for my desktop.

From initial testing, the issues with touch gaming on this monitor are exactly the same as with the Windows tablet. So I'm reviving this thread as I continue to check out how various games respond to touch. If you're interested in contributing, the details in the OP are still valid.

Kevyt

Any games compatible with Windows RT tablets that someone can recommend? I can only think of the Halo game for tablet devices that I think works with RT. But I am not sure. I love my RT tablet but I'm thinking that I should have gone with the Pro version just to be able to play civilization V since the touchscreen mode works really well.

Just got a Asus T100 a week back (which I am still testing the gaming on it) and the first thing I tried was how well some steam games worked on the touch screen. Here's what I got so far:

Bejeweled 3: Works great with touch but this isn't all that surprising.

Don't Starve: I heard some rumblings about this game working with touch with a mod, so I check Steam workshop and it's true. Immediately went to try it and it works great besides a few times the game not registering my taps.(Though that might be a problem with my laptop than the mod)

Torchlight II: Heard this had touch support, which I was doubtful of, until I saw this video. I haven't tried it myself (I don't even own the game) but I would love it if someone else who has tried it post some impressions since I am still somewhat cautious that the whole game can be played this way.

SmZA

Any games compatible with Windows RT tablets that someone can recommend? I can only think of the Halo game for tablet devices that I think works with RT. But I am not sure. I love my RT tablet but I'm thinking that I should have gone with the Pro version just to be able to play civilization V since the touchscreen mode works really well.

This thread's not the best place for that question as it's more about non-Win 8 games (I assume anything in the Store works on tablet/RT). But I found a thread where you're more likely to get a good answer.

If you want to check out some other touch-friendly games on steam take a look at this group.
Wouldn't take the list of games as absolute though, whoever runs the group seems to have left out games like FTL and Banner Saga, both of which support touch controls.

vareon

Thanks for this thread! I have a T-100 and was wondering what kind of games I can play on tablet mode.

I tried Long Live The Queen. It's playable, but kind of tricky because sometimes you have to touch & hold for functions that require right click.

Hi all, apologies for bumping an older thread but I just purchased a Surface Pro 1 and this thread came up in my search. For the games listed in the OPs list that need right-click functions to be playable, will the surface pen suffice for this?

Sorry for the bump again, right-click worked with the pen. Just wanted to update.

Also while I'm here, anyone know if theres a way to make the on-screen keyboard pop up with full-screen games?

Sorry for the bump again, right-click worked with the pen. Just wanted to update.

Also while I'm here, anyone know if theres a way to make the on-screen keyboard pop up with full-screen games?
No, need to be in windowed mode to access keyboard. BTW, since you have a surface, does the stylus basically work like a mouse for games?

Top Bottom