• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian: "Git gud" is offensive

Fbh

Guys I just picked up a guitar and.... You won't believe this: You have to LEARN how to play it.

I mean damn, I just wanted to get home after work and play some music to de-stress but nope, they designed the fucking thing so you can't just pick it up and start playing

Who doesn’t want to not suck at a game? I couldn’t imagine being so bad at a game and being ok with that.

Then again I think Souls Games are pretty easy ;)

Guys I just picked up a guitar and.... You won't believe this: You have to LEARN how to play it.

I mean damn, I just wanted to get home after work and play some music to de-stress but nope, they designed the fucking thing so you can't just pick it up and start playing

Are you kidding? I can't just pick up a guitar and be as good as Andres Segovia instantly? I'm going to the Guardian to get my column published on the OUTRAGE of it all.

I like playing guitar, but I don't want to make music.

I love cooking, but the food doesn't have to taste good.

I like skateboarding, but I'm fine with falling on my ass repeatedly.

Nymphae

Banned
I don’t want to get good at gaming, I want to escape the relentless pressure to improve myself
You don't have to, and no one is pressuring you to be better at videogames. The only example she provides of this "pressure" seems to be this:

While playing, I’m usually lucky if I can go an hour without getting stuck on one pixel of ledge space where moving an inch will mean falling to my death and having to repeat the last half an hour because I forgot to save the game. In these situations, I usually Google around for solutions. If the game is popular or a couple of years old, there have invariably been people trying to get out of the same tricky spot. The other invariable part is that one person, and often many, will reply to the asker, “Just get good!!! Git gud!!!

Wow, such powerful, unrelenting pressure. Scan for the answer you are looking for and go back to the game like a normal human being.

Last edited:
Basically she feels entitled to be great at "Dark Souls" and finish the game in record breaking time, have tons of fun. But it's too hard and you really do have to GIT GUD but that's UNFAIR.

What's next - it's unfair to not be able to play tennis like Roger Federer?

Kamina

Golden Boy
It’s not offensive.
Yes, it can hurt if you just got your ass handed to you in a game and someone says it to you, but hey, the truth hurts.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
People offend me when they say I play un-fair, or cheap, or use broken tactics. So git gud

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's funny, I went to school for journalism hoping to pursue a career in either sports or games journalism. But by the time I got my degree the field was so crowded that I ended up stumbling into my current career. I wonder if I would have lasted. I basically clash with the SJW view of games media today, so I imagine I would have either been driven out by the clique like mentality of it or just burnt out and left it by choice.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
'Scuse me princess, your hyper-competitive millennial life? Man, I never knew that writing smug inflammatory bullcrap while sipping on your caffè macchiato in front of your laptop would be such a burden. Them poor millenials are really having it tough compared to all the generations before.

Oh lord, that particular section of her... "article" really rubbed me the wrong way. I doubt this child has ever had to actually work for a damn thing in her life. I would love to see her actually compete for even a fraction of a second in the world of academia (in particular the hard sciences). 12-14 hour work days, 7 days a week for months on end all to find an answer that might not work. All the while writing grants, proposals, and begging for scraps of money so you can eat and maintain a place in your PhD program while you slowly chip away at the Great Obsidian Wall that is your doctoral dissertation. Hell, that is easy compared to how some have it.

There is a part of me that hopes the worst for these... infants, so they can learn the harsh realities of adult life outside of their sheltered existences.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's funny, I went to school for journalism hoping to pursue a career in either sports or games journalism. But by the time I got my degree the field was so crowded that I ended up stumbling into my current career. I wonder if I would have lasted. I basically clash with the SJW view of games media today, so I imagine I would have either been driven out by the clique like mentality of it or just burnt out and left it by choice.

Honestly, I think there is need for proper journalism that isn't surrounded by social justice bullshit. Look at how much shit Escapist Magazine got for its purported claim of "no politics" and how many people were pissed to find out that there were indeed politics put into their articles.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
hqdefault.jpg

Silent Duck

Her blog was written with the same level of excellence one would find from someone scribbling on the wall with shit in an institution.
MSNBC must be scoutng her.

Git gud is the most deadshit term ever.

Someone asks for help, easy way to be a fuckwit and not help them or contribute "git gud" trollllol so funny ermagerd.

Psykodad

Banned
Well, didnt read the article and only skimmed through the OP, but I think I got the point she's trying to make.
And doesn't she kind of have a point?

Gaming can be a form of escapism and I can understand that the need to "git gud" might put unnecessary pressure on something you'd otherwise enjoy.
It's why HZD and TLOU Remastered added a "I'm here for the story" mode and why lots of people hate level-spikes in rpgs, for example.

It might be petty to get offended if someone (or the game) then tells you to "git gud", but for some games it couldn't hurt to cater to the "escapism-audience" too, like Guerrilla Games and Naughty Dog did.

Reading through some comments in here, I think there are some gamers who refuse to accept this part of gaming, or they can't comprehend the idea of other people wanting to enjoy the same game as them in a different manner.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well, didnt read the article and only skimmed through the OP, but I think I got the point she's trying to make.
And doesn't she kind of have a point?

Gaming can be a form of escapism and I can understand that the need to "git gud" might put unnecessary pressure on something you'd otherwise enjoy.
It's why HZD and TLOU Remastered added a "I'm here for the story" mode and why lots of people hate level-spikes in rpgs, for example.

It might be petty to get offended if someone (or the game) then tells you to "git gud", but for some games it couldn't hurt to cater to the "escapism-audience" too, like Guerrilla Games and Naughty Dog did.

Reading through some comments in here, I think there are some gamers who refuse to accept this part of gaming, or they can't comprehend the idea of other people wanting to enjoy the same game as them in a different manner.
“I didn’t read through the article and only skimmed the OP.”

So, your opinion is irrelevant.

royox

Looks like The Guardian is ready for the Dark Souls release on Nintendo Switch :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

TYRiAX

What that idiot doesn't realise is that playing a challenging game and learning/mastering its game mechanics to be able beat it is escapism from RL!

Ridaxan

Video games (or any medium of art/entertainment) don't have to cater to the entire range of the audience. If it's that important, change yourself, don't expect the world to change for you.

daninthemix

It seems a bit pompous but I agree with the sentiment - I don't give a shit about getting good and will readily choose easy mode in most games.

recma12

Is Cuphead really that hard?

Yeah.
In Souls games you can buff, summon, cheese, grind and use variyous builds to make up for missing skills.
Some boss fights turn into cakewalks if you know what to look for.

That said, in Cuphead you get no help whatsoever. You either nail those jumps or you die.
I finished all the Souls games but couldn't finish Cuphead, because the final boss was too much for me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why doesn't she just ask people for recommendations on effortless games? There are so many of them. Adventure games, RPGs, creative mode in Minecraft, or if one absolutely demands action the Very Easy mode on plenty of other games (maybe Lego ones) is usually almost impossible to die in.

Funny thing is I know exactly what she means about not being able to distinguish 3D images. When I first played Star Fox on SNES I was kind of like WTF am I even seeing, then it happened again with Quake 1, then kind of again in terms of gauging controls in relation to visuals with Mario 64. She must be REALLY new at games to struggle with this, which makes her complaint all the more ridiculous. I mean, it's obvious that you'll get trashed in anything competitive when an absolute beginner, so why use zero discernment when deciding what kind of game to buy?

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
I hope i'm not the only one who loves the chitchat during or after a game. People crouch spamming me, saying "git gud" or whatever and all the other things give me some laughs from time to time. I also plead guilty for doing these things every now and then just for the laughs and fun. In general i'm good mannered ofc. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

God Enel

I mean isn’t that the point of git gud?
It’s basically like saying you’re a slut and be offended by it. It’s the sole purpose of it. 🤨

The comment about not being good at games and not wanting to get good is the problem with people today.

Nobody wants to work for anything, they feel they have a god given right to do what they want and win.

We need to get schools to go back to having winners, kids are taught everyones a winner from a young age and it's harming our natural competitive nature.

-MD-

Who doesn’t want to not suck at a game? I couldn’t imagine being so bad at a game and being ok with that.

Then again I think Souls Games are pretty easy ;)

I'll never really understand it, everything I do I want to get better at. If I'm bad at my hobby and I know it I'm going to try and get better, I think it's just an excuse to never improve yourself.

Like your example of Souls, those games aren't overly difficult at all and should be like the standard for modern video game difficulty but you have some folks talk about how they're essentially impossible without devoting your life to them, Souls games boil down to memorizing attack patterns and pressing a couple buttons to block or attack inbetween said patterns.

Sometimes I'm surprised people even play video games, I remember when The Evil Within came out people were posting how they died 500+ times on normal mode, I think I died maybe 50 times in my first playthrough? The only way to put up those kinds of numbers is if you just don't understand what the buttons on your controller do, don't pay attention to what's happening on screen or you're just brute forcing your way by bashing your head against a wall until you finally win by a fluke, that just cannot be fun.

Last edited:
Git Gud is basically telling someone to learn how to play, to learn how to fucking PLAY is to git gud, or Get Good at the game.

I think its more offensive to the players that dedicate there time to get better at a game. and then get told that those skills are pointless and everyone should be able to achieve that because its a waste of time.
further more i find it insulting to developers who create a product they spent years in making and then just have some people consuming it in a afternoon. that is also a insult to the work that was put into creating it.
That is more offensive than someone telling someone else to try and practice to get better.

Dontero

Banned
Well kind reporter there are games like that for you like crosswords puzzles, match shape of hole with figure and other kids games they use.

But those to require some skill i guess.

Psykodad

Banned
“I didn’t read through the article and only skimmed the OP.”

So, your opinion is irrelevant.
Get over yourself, the gist of it is in the first alinea of the OP.

I don't need to read 20 examples and a lot of excessive rethoric to know the woman has a point.
The majority of gaming's forum-users are a bunch of competitive try-hards.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno, maybe she should look up a FAQs or a video playthrough if she's having a hard time with a certain part... She won't need to encounter the "git gud" people.

royox

Father G is a rough beginning, to be fair.

He was for me but....IS HE really? He's a Hunter that uses one of the first basic hunter weapon with the same move set and a gun like the basic one you get. For most people it should be a "fighting against myself" fight till he becomes a beast and rekts your ass. You can even stunlock him by continuously hitting him with fast weapon (although he will try to dodge back + shotgun after the 3rd hit)

DIS GON BE GUD, GIT GUD Y'ALL

*goes back to op and starts reading.

**goes back to Rocket League to have fun improving skills. Says fuck-off one more time to The Guardian.

Last edited:
If you don't want to become better at something that you enjoy, then maybe you're not really enjoying it in the first place. I get the impression that she might not be talking about games, but her own job. At least it would explain why that article is such an entertaining trainwreck of incoherent ramblings.

EXACTLY. I want to get better because I am enjoying it. Fucking leftist logic strikes again. Man I hate The Guardian more and more every year. I hope it goes the way of The Independent.

Also, her subheading, "I enjoy video games, but I’m not good at playing them and I don’t want to be," is nasty. Like, there must be hundreds of great videogames out there that would suit her taste in videogames. But noooooo, she wants to kill them all.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
It’s not offensive. And if you don’t care and you’re playing for fun, well then, you shouldn’t find it offensive.

It’s like the whole,”you mad bro” argument. As if I should be ashamed about having emotion. The correct response is,”yes I am, and that’s not good for you”.

This is the densest concentration of entitlement I've ever seen in gaming journalism. It may be the neutron star we've been waiting for. Either that, or we've found the equivalent of Jonathan Swift's modest proposal. In either case, I had to read it three times.

I have actually saved a shortcut of it to my desktop to remind me to stop reading The Guardian et al. and also as perfect evidence if I ever get asked why I deactivated my FB account in the face of rising leftist hysteria.

Last edited:

John Konstantin

Neo Member
It's a pretty pointless article. You don't want to get good at playing some games?. Ok. So, don't. There are plenty of games you can play without being very skilled. It only makes sense if you think that all the games in the world have to cater to your tastes and skill set. And that's a pretty stupid and entitled view.

Top Bottom