• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo TV series “may shift dates, locations, or ethnicity of characters”

CyberPanda

Banned
Speaking on a panel today at Reboot Develop, 343 executive producer Kiki Wolfkill briefly touched on how the company is approaching the adaption. Respecting canon is one of 343’s priorities, according to Wolfkill, but not at the expense of doing what makes sense. The producer went on to say that 343 understand it will never please everyone. There will always be some people who are upset, but it will do what’s right for the nine episode series. “We may shift dates, locations, or ethnicity of characters,” Wolfkill said.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/04/11/halo-tv-series-may-shift-dates-locations-ethnicity-characters/

Dacon

Banned
What's the point of changing things just for the sake of it? What about adapting the dates, locations, and ethnicity of the characters as is doesn't make sense?

Last edited:

Caayn

Respecting canon is one of 343’s priorities, according to Wolfkill, but not at the expense of doing what makes sense.
tumblr_otagbu7tH91r8tg38o2_500.gif

JimboJones

The Halo TV series “may change everything you expect about Halo so that it doesn't even resemble Halo, except the name, that's the important bit that fans want”

Last edited:
Why does Microsoft have to be based in the Seattle area and not midland Texas... Leftist ideals are rotting peoples brains...

Last edited:

thelodius

Banned
Why are they making a Halo TV show? What network is this even expected to appear on? Surely there is absolutely zero appetite for this?

Shifty

The old "we'll fuck with it to toe the political line and justify it with nebulous reasoning" tactic. I see. That's a bold strategy after literal years of delays.

Guess I'll do "what's right" and dedicate my brainspace to something else then.

And somehow I don't believe 'Kiki Wolfkill' is a real parentally-given name :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

if they are not going to respect canon, why bother with this show? If they want lots of diversity, just create some new stories instead of making it about Master Chief. I always thought that it should focus on other parts of the war, and exclude Spartans for the most part. Make it about ODST's and then you do whatever you want.

Looking forward to the bisexual asian Cortana and the black female Master Chief, with a prosthetic arm ,single mother of a boy who left because reasons.

Fbh

In a way I guess this is good.
343 has been so focused on including the expanded universe into the games that elements of the plot of their games are hard to understand if you don't go read some Halo books.

Making this show different enough means that at least it won't be yet another external thing people have to keep up with to make sense of the games

juliotendo

I don’t see Showtime pulling this off, and to be honest there is a risk the show could be a total disaster. Showtime’s programming outside a few original pieces is pretty weak.

The best thing that can happen is if Microsoft were to directly produce this in-house with a worthy director (Neil Blomkamp or Garret Edwards)

The fact that they’re already floating around changing dates, races, ethnicities, etc tells you they’re going off into the abyss already.

In order for HALO to be successful as a mini series or series of short films, it has to be 100% Halo. It has the universe and lore already, it doesn’t have to be tweaked for cultural relevance.

Halo has so much potential to be a great entertainment film and tv brand with the right approach.

Last edited:

Codes 208

So basically the types of retcons 343 is already known for. Like the frequent changes of Chief’s design in the media. Or changing Arbiter’s sub-species of Sangheili.

Last edited:
Instead of changing the sex or colour of characters why not.. make new characters?

Edit: I dont understand the obsession with adjusting what is established instead of just adding to what is established.. it's not fucking rocket science.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
I don’t see Showtime pulling this off, and to be honest there is a risk the show could be a total disaster. Showtime’s programming outside a few original pieces is pretty weak.

The best thing that can happen is if Microsoft were to directly produce this in-house with a worthy director (Neil Blomkamp or Garret Edwards)

The fact that they’re already floating around changing dates, races, ethnicities, etc tells you they’re going off into the abyss already.

In order for HALO to be successful as a mini series or series of short films, it has to be 100% Halo. It has the universe and lore already, it doesn’t have to be tweaked for cultural relevance.

Halo has so much potential to be a great entertainment film and tv brand with the right approach.
I would totally forgive the retcons and changes to canon if Showtime gives us a Halo and The Chi crossover event. Master Chief vs. Q.

angelic

Banned
About as far from 2002 chief/cortana/flood sci fi halo its possible to get. Execs destroy everything and ask for money while doing it.

Why are they making a Halo TV show? What network is this even expected to appear on? Surely there is absolutely zero appetite for this?

probably CBS, alongside great new hit shows such as “The Good Fight” and “Twilight Zone” that push extremist leftish views

Wimbledon

343i again adding there own voice, instead of listening to what the fans want.

Just stick to the canon , Halo has never had a problem with strong women, or people of color before, and the world building/lore ,pre-343i was excellent and still is with 343i.

Just make a show that's great, keep the political crap out of it, and focus on making a great sci-fi space opera that people want to get lost in.

The fact that this needs to be stressed is making me doubt that the adaption will be any good.

Looking forward to the bisexual asian Cortana and the black female Master Chief, with a prosthetic arm ,single mother of a boy who left because reasons.

I don't think we've had an Asian ladyboy in a prominent role yet, so that's what I'm going with for Cortana's contribution to representation within the genre.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

If Masterchief is going to be in it, and they do show his face or sides of him. Then they should go with the guy who acted out the scenes as Masterchief in Halo 4.

Bruce Thomas

Bruce-Thomas.jpg

But if not him, and in a perfect world i'd like Viggo
depositphotos_15947989-stock-photo-viggo-mortensen.jpg

ExpandKong

Banned
If Masterchief is going to be in it, and they do show his face or sides of him. Then they should go with the guy who acted out the scenes as Masterchief in Halo 4.

Bruce Thomas

Bruce-Thomas.jpg

But if not him, and in a perfect world i'd like Viggo
depositphotos_15947989-stock-photo-viggo-mortensen.jpg

You’ll get Jussie Smollett AND YOU’LL LIKE IT DAMMIT

Top Bottom