• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hateful eight is Tarantino's best film

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Pulp Fiction I could watch a hundred more times.
I was working at a video rental store when Pulp Fiction came out and like yourself I must have played it over a hundred times on our 10 screens.

One saturday morning our boss quickly dropped by and was pissed off when he heard blasting over our speakers "ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT!?!!" amidst parents looking at copies of Free Willy & The Lion King with their little kids 😆

After this incident I had to wait after 9PM to play it booooo!

have to admit i've not seen them all. not seen RD or JB.

Only recently watched Death Proof. It was good but wouldn't rank it as the best.

Kill Bill, H8, Pulp, Django are my favourites. KB2 is good. IG is good. Hollywood was alright but weak for his standards.

It's been a while since I've watched all the movies so this isn't 100%. So I guess....

1. Pulp
2. KB1
3. H8
4. Django
5. IG
6. KB2
7. DP
8. Holywood

If i rewatched them all and got through RD/JB it'd probably be wildly different.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Django Unchained
5. The Hateful Eight
6. Kill Bill 1
7. Kill Bill 2
8. Jackie Brown
9. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
10. Death Proof

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Just for you JokerMM JokerMM I took my frame from the wall and gave it a good Windex glass wax on/wax off.
wn0oEOT.png

The signatures are from:

-Kurt Russell
-Walton Goggins
-Demian Bichir
-Tim Roth
-Channing Tatum
-Jennifer Jason Leigh (Who I believe was robbed of an Oscar & her signature is so cute and efficient!)
-Michael Madsen
-Bruce Dern
-Quentin Tarantino (Hard to see, he signed across the legs in the middle)

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
If Once upon a time in Hollywood was never made, Pulp Fiction would still be his best movie, alas, OUATIH was made so right now it's his best movie.
Such a well acted, funny and with amazing cinematography film, it's just a joy to watch and like most of his films is incredibly rewatchable.
It's his most..."movie like" movie he's ever made if that makes any sense.

Jackie Brown is another good one which unfortunately usually goes unmentioned.

I really don't get how people place Inglorious basterds as one of his best, besides the very nice acting from Cristoph Waltz in the 1st act, the movie is...such tongue in cheek that it becomes a literal meme.
It's funny, sure and it features many meme-worthy lines but a very good film it is not.

The kill bills, now that I'm older I find them to be incredibly edge-lordy.
Death proof , even for a grindhouse feature was gob-shite and shouldn't even be mentioned.

Django was OK and had some really nice scenes but...

Reservoir Dogs will always be a (very) good and enjoyable trashy/cult film.

As for the hateful 8...upon rewatching it for the 4th time, IMO, it just doesn't hold up - it feels ludicrous with the meme-like/joke characters like senor Bob, the always awful Channing Tatum and Michael Madsen's ridiculous dyed hair.
The "who dun it" thing got old fast and Tarantino's own voiceover in the last chapter is just...nope.
One of his most overhyped and overrated films IMO, it's absolutely motherfucking not his best film.

Last edited:
Saw it in 70mm. I love all Tarantino films - I even loved the novel of Once Upon in Hollywood - but atm it’s lower tier.
I love that it’s got a fan base and some reappraisal going on. Time for a rewatch I think.

Top Bottom