• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Haunting Of Bly Manor Discussion (Netflix)

jason10mm

Gold Member
Thanks for the information! I did but still I expected something else. I know the original story by Henry James and though I appreciate the new approach, it seems pretentious in its way of making up a lot of lesbian soap opera stuff. "Haunting of Hill House" was quite slow as well, but had more substance to it.
Man, don't knock the lesbian stuff in this. A. it was realistic and earned and B. they were both hot. We gotta make sure hollywood knows only lipstick lesbians are acceptable :p

Episode 8 was so bad...

Look, i don't care about empowered ghost lady fighting the patriarchy. You could tell her backstory in 10 minutes. I swear i was laughing every time the narrator repeated: she would wake, she would walk, she would sleep, she would wake, she would walk, she would sleep...
And how the fuck can you end two episodes with the same cliffhanger?
I was midly entertained until then. Now i'm offended!

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Episode 8 was so bad...

Look, i don't care about empowered ghost lady fighting the patriarchy. You could tell her backstory in 10 minutes. I swear i was laughing every time the narrator repeated: she would wake, she would walk, she would sleep, she would wake, she would walk, she would sleep...
And how the fuck can you end two episodes with the same cliffhanger?
I was midly entertained until then. Now i'm offended!
Yup, episodes like this is why gratuitous nudity used to be a thing.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think
it would've been better picking either a horror route, a love story route. Not a combination of both. One they blended together is when I felt it lost its luster.

I liked it when it started off. It was creepy, but not overly scary, and I like creepy. It had a very subtle scare factor to it with interesting atmosphere and a feeling of something building. And what it built toward was a love story.

Once they started introducing rules. Ghosts can do this, but not that, etc, it became very hokey and mechanical, and it pulled me out of the immersion immediately. It was cool as a love story, but then just make it a love story from the beginning.

And the aging didn't seem to really matchup at the end. Jamie aged like 30 years when it felt Flora aged like 10.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
That comment is sick/disgusting only if you want to interpret it that way.

I tell people that they are beautiful all the time and won't shy away from telling that to anyone. No matter how old or young they are.

Plus I like guys.

Get your minds out of the gutter.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Man, don't knock the lesbian stuff in this. A. it was realistic and earned and B. they were both hot. We gotta make sure hollywood knows only lipstick lesbians are acceptable :p
Fair point with the lesbians 😂. But I little less soap opera shit, little more ghosts and shit would have been nice.

cormack12

Gold Member
Finished it last night. Felt like a Georgian/Victoria parlour tale. I only thought the last eisode was superfluous really. I was half expecting in the last episode

...that Dani was not going to be able to leave Bly as tney drove out and she would already be the Lady of the Lake. I think they tried to hard to make a bittersweet ending that clobbered you over the head

General thoughts

I didn't mind the slower pace or what they were going for. I thought it fumbled in quite a few places. Episode 8 where Dani is running looked like something out of Scary Movie (when she ran to the lake to get Flora). The actor playing James is great at playing an absolute bastard and the woman playing the naive and manipulated Miss Jessel was good. Their entire relationship as being unhealthy was very believable.

I wasn't a fan of Hannah being a ghost though has suspicions early on something wasn't right but didn't know how she was seen by everyone which diverted me away. Perdita was done dirty. Was the story being told so no-one forgot Dani and she still had a face? Also wouldn't she just live at Bly Manor and then be able to catch glimpses of her as well?

Malakhov

Banned
Wow, what a shitfest. I mean it became interesting at episode 6. The viola episode being the best but what a disappointing series.

It was somewhat of a shitfest. I did not but any of the relationships.

Since it was a Netflix show, I knew someone had to be a lesbian but the gardener and Dani suddenly being so in love that Dani forgets her past trauma felt so forced. Rebecca failing in love with Peter was the same thing. And this should have been 7 or 8 episodes - it dragged and repeated itself. The accent of ET guy was terrible and took me out whenever he opened his mouth. Also, if I was in Dani’s place, no way would I sacrifice myself like that. Also, you want to make me believe that the gardener waited like that every night for something like 25 years? Pff..

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Kinda sucked. It was never scary at all. It can be as gay as it wants to be but at least have some good scares in there.

crumbs

Ended up watching this series over the course of a few nights last week while visiting family. They had watched and enjoyed the previous installment in the anthology and were hyped for the new series. The general consensus was that "Bly Manor" was a disappointment and a major step down from "Hill House".

I thought it started out well, with a slow burn and some creepy moments, but it never really pays off. The last few episodes felt really padded out (especially the flashback episode, which just dragged on forever). The time skipping story structure was interesting in Hannah's episode, but was over-used after that. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this as either a horror or love story. My main source of entertainment was looking for ghosts in the background and laughing at Dani running like she sh*t her pants. I was also excited to see Garth Marenghi show up.

As a side note, there were so many distracting elements in this show: the wardrobe choices were all over the place, as were the accents, particularly Peter's ridiculous Scottish accent.

NickFire

I love the horror genre and Hill House. This installment was pretty bad though. The scares were too infrequent, the central ghost character was treated like an afterthought, the glowing eyes dude just fizzles out, it was absurdly repetitive and predictable, and the storylines that weren't left dangling in the wind just weren't that exciting for me.

Top Bottom